Rebel Forces take Gadaffi's Compound ...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Amazing news footage on CNN.

Reminds me of the first Gulf War, and the second.

But it is not with embedded US troops.

The female reporter, Sarah Sidner, is amazing.

Talking on camera as celebratory gun shots ring all around her.

Wow. Amazing stuff.

She and her camera person are inside Gadaffi's compound.

He seems to have run away. Underground tunnels.

http://www.cnn.com/
MacNews
Team Captain

I thought it would be over within a month, but it took a lot longer than that. But they got it done, and I am glad another dictator in the Middle East is gone. Now that is Tunisia, Egypt, Iraq, Libya..I think I am forgetting a few. :beer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would love to see North Korea and that nutbar gone.
MacNews
Team Captain

And Iran.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

On principle, I'm all for the toppling of dictators and have always despised the various excuses for either propping them up (as with Mubarak in Egypt or Musharraf in Pakistan) or simply isolating/ignoring their abuses (Gaddafi in Libya, Kim Jong Il of N.Korea).

However, I'd preach caution on cheering too enthusiastically because the truth of the matter is that nobody knows what these revolutions mean, and nobody knows how it is going to turn out.
Amen to that brother.

Repressive regimes are horrible entities but the truth is that sometimes, they are the glue that keeps old rivalries, regional tensions, religious intolerance and so on at bay. When you pull the cork out of the bottle, it opens a way for all the things that have been suppressed for years to come forth in waves of uncontrolled fury. We have yet to see how Iraq is going to turn out and it has been years since Saddam Hussein was dispatched. It is quite possible that nation could spiral into civil warfare when US forces finally pull out. Look at what happened when India got "home rule". It eventually spawned 3 different nations. One of the poorest in the world and 2 others that are always a hair away from war with each other. What is Libya going to be at the end of this? No one knows but the possibility is there that the outcome may in fact turn out to be worse than what was there before. We will have to wait and see and hope. But the volatility of the region, the numerous different ethnic/religious groups, a predilection for armed conflict coupled with masses of weaponry of all types and odds are against a sudden and lasting peaceful existence for Libyans. Hopefully, they will fare better than the worst case scenario but only time will reveal that. It is a delicate business when you insert yourself into a conflict. Maybe it diffuses the conflict or maybe it is an invitation for others to join in.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

and we move ever closer to armagedon
Every day that passes is one you can't get back