What is your favourite song by a Canadian artist?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion_Pride_26
Legend

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainmen ... index.html
As Canada Day approaches, we are trying to determine the greatest Canadian song. No small task, so we are asking you to get involved and either vote for your favourite from the list of 30 classics below that our editors have carefully selected, or write in with your own suggestion.

Once the top 10 is determined, you'll be able to read all about them in our Canada Day edition on Thursday, July 1.

Right now, Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" is leading the way with 68% of the votes.

Sheesh, kids these days..... :dizzy:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

they shouldnt let anyone under 30 vote.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I'm impressed by the sheer pointlessness of this survey. It won't be easy to top.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

sj-roc wrote:I'm impressed by the sheer pointlessness of this survey. It won't be easy to top.
Call me crazy, but if I see a topic I don't like, I just ignore it and choose not to reply to it. Ever try that?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I'm impressed by the sheer pointlessness of this survey. It won't be easy to top.
Call me crazy, but if I see a topic I don't like, I just ignore it and choose not to reply to it. Ever try that?
I find your stance here odd, since you first drew our attention to the survey with your own dismissive comments, which, it seems I didn't make clear enough, I was pretty much in agreement with. Whatever.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
I find your stance here odd, since you first drew our attention to the survey with your own dismissive comments, which, it seems I didn't make clear enough, I was pretty much in agreement with. Whatever.
Sorry, but it didn't seem like you were agreeing with me.

Anyway, I have a few favourites on this list (BTO, The Guess Who, Nickelback). I had a hard time choosing, but ended up picking BTO.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I find your stance here odd, since you first drew our attention to the survey with your own dismissive comments, which, it seems I didn't make clear enough, I was pretty much in agreement with. Whatever.
It's complicated, sj-roc
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Lionheart wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I find your stance here odd, since you first drew our attention to the survey with your own dismissive comments, which, it seems I didn't make clear enough, I was pretty much in agreement with. Whatever.
It's complicated, sj-roc

:dizzy:

Thanks for ignoring my post where I admitted that I didn't know he was agreeing with me.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

gotta go with american woman.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

On further reflection, I have to retract my original comment. I'd forgotten about all of those internet polls where the Riderfans engaged in obvious ballot box stuffing, apparently (so I've heard) even bothering to delete their cookies to keep re-voting over and over.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:On further reflection, I have to retract my original comment. I'd forgotten about all of those internet polls where the Riderfans engaged in obvious ballot box stuffing, apparently (so I've heard) even bothering to delete their cookies to keep re-voting over and over.
just think if RUNNING BACK TO SASKATOON was a choice :wink:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:[q
It's complicated, sj-roc

:dizzy:

Thanks for ignoring my post where I admitted that I didn't know he was agreeing with me.[/quote]

I guess my use of the word "complicated" was lost.

It's ok, no worries.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I'm impressed by the sheer pointlessness of this survey. It won't b

It's not really pointless at all, polls offer up traffic, and traffic equals advertising dollars.

As for best Canadian song, that is easy with no dispute.

Niel Young's Down by the River
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionheart wrote:As for best Canadian song, that is easy with no dispute.

meh...not even his best stuff.....give me Rockin' The Free World! :rockin:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Tighthead
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Lionheart wrote:As for best Canadian song, that is easy with no dispute.

meh...not even his best stuff.....give me Rockin' The Free World! :rockin:
Out on the Weekend for Neil.

Powderfinger for Neil w/ Crazy Horse.