How are the Olympics affecting you?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

Having never lived in a city at the same time that an Olympics was going on, I have always wondered how the presence of such an event affects the day to day lives of citizens of the host city. Does your work schedule change? Does your commute change? Do a lot of offices shut down? How are you folks living in that area being affected by the presence of the Olympics?
Bosco
Team Captain

Interesting topic.

For myself - I have felt the excitement of the Olympics build as the years, months and days counted down to today. There is obviously a buzz in the city, and everywhere you turn, the Olymics are there. From the media reports to the torch run, to even the daily notices of road and route closures, the Olympics have been a constant reminder that if you live around Vancouver, this is certainly not business as usual.

I don't work downtown, so the commute to my office hasn't changed, but that certainly is not the case for everyone.

The Olympics are here and I plan on enjoying the hoopla as much as possible - there will always be time to pay off the hangover.
MacNews
Team Captain

Ravi picture this, all your HOV lanes have been changed to Olympic lanes.

As you travel the city, there are cops everywhere. You see fleets of charter buses going around town to drive around our media and officials.

Also all the outdoor advertising space has been taken up by Olympic sponsors.

Overall its a pretty exciting place. :cheer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm volunteering during the Olympics. I have never seen so many people wearing Canadian jerseys, faces painted with Maple Leafs, wearing Canadian paraphernalia, cars with Canadian flags etc. People without a flag is making do with what they have. This afternoon I saw a car driving near the Waterfront Station with a pair of red Olympic gloves with the white Maple Leaf sticking out the back windows. Don't tell me that Canadians aren't patriotic.
nelson95
Legend

I'll let you know March 3rd
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I work to one degree or another, all of my waking hours, for all 17 days of the games.

I'm doing more international interviews and out of town interviews.

My partner took off for the Dominican Republic during the games since her work has come to a standstill. It has effected our bottom line in a big way.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It's been going easier than I thought but its still the weekend. Busses weren't too busy and there seemed to be lots of them! Hope it continues to go well :cr:
nelson95
Legend

Saturdays as usual
Rugby in Maple Ridge today
I'm avoiding the city til March
Will watch on TV
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what Olympics??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
hwgill
Legend

Don't care. don't pay attention.

The only thing that pisses me off is that the TV schedule is totally screwed over the next two weeks. No new episodes of House or Big Bang Theory, but at least 24 episodes are still on.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
nelson95
Legend

anyone own a glass replacement company?

Any cops?

Kha-ching!!!
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Having never lived in a city at the same time that an Olympics was going on, I have always wondered how the presence of such an event affects the day to day lives of citizens of the host city. Does your work schedule change? Does your commute change? Do a lot of offices shut down? How are you folks living in that area being affected by the presence of the Olympics?
Not affecting me personally — not yet anyway, it'll be clearer after the morning commute tomorrow — but I suppose you were interested in this type of story:

http://www2.canada.com/vancouvercourier ... a22c3ce6f7
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MacNews
Team Captain

The games are impacting my life, positively:

I am Transport Attendant at the Olympic Lounges in Whistler Olympic Park.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

My wife wants to watch, so I have to...instead of watching such things as classic cfl...sobbb
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Great panoramic views of the city from various vantage points:

http://www.aerialphotoimage.com/panoram ... ouver.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。