A simply awesome start. Bravo

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

It doesnt alter my views about the Olympics or about Vancouver hosting them, but they couldnt have started any better than to involve first nations the way they did. I have huge respect for first nations and their history, customs and fight for rights in todays Canada. Bravo.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
nelson95
Legend

Spoke too soon
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
MacNews
Team Captain

I thought it was over the top.

At the dress rehearsal they introduced the heads of each of the four first nations when they introduced Michaelle Jean. But tonight they were late getting to BC Place..so they had to skip that part.
D
Team Captain

I thought it was great ... really really good until the torch light ... the 4th arm not going up was one of those things that happens sometimes but the Great one riding in a pickup to light the second torch was bad ... I just don't like the whole truck part. Why not a cowboy or native or both riding on horseback taking it and handing it to whomever at the outdoor location? That whole lighting of the second torch seemed like such an afterthought or dare I say not a thought

Also .... the flame outside is the one most people will see so they could have somehow integrated that into the ceremonies earlier and made more people outside a part of the show

Whatever ... just sayin .... anyhow .... now that the car is outta they way .... Games On! :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
MacNews
Team Captain

I thought the flame should've been outside BC Place, that way you wouldn't have a 20 minute drive through Vancouver.

It was anti-climatic.

But overall it was very well done..an impressive show!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My only complaint is the way our national anthem was sung. Why is it performers feel a need to alter the way the anthem is sung. It was one of the most prolong painful version I've ever heard. If the organizers want to see crowd participation let the Donnelly guy start it and the fans join in. Guarantee to send shivers up your spine.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:My only complaint is the way our national anthem was sung. Why is it performers feel a need to alter the way the anthem is sung. It was one of the most prolong painful version I've ever heard. If the organizers want to see crowd participation let the Donnelly guy start it and the fans join in. Guarantee to send shivers up your spine.
Thank you!

It is NOT your song to sing people-unless you wrote it, have some respect and leave it alone. :pray:
Real women wear orange!!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:My only complaint is the way our national anthem was sung. Why is it performers feel a need to alter the way the anthem is sung. It was one of the most prolong painful version I've ever heard. If the organizers want to see crowd participation let the Donnelly guy start it and the fans join in. Guarantee to send shivers up your spine.
I didnt mind it that much.
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nikki's rendition ... I liked it.

If it is not jazzed up, I find it rather cliche.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

D wrote:I thought it was great ... really really good until the torch light ... the 4th arm not going up was one of those things that happens sometimes but the Great one riding in a pickup to light the second torch was bad ... I just don't like the whole truck part. Why not a cowboy or native or both riding on horseback taking it and handing it to whomever at the outdoor location? That whole lighting of the second torch seemed like such an afterthought or dare I say not a thought

Also .... the flame outside is the one most people will see so they could have somehow integrated that into the ceremonies earlier and made more people outside a part of the show

Whatever ... just sayin .... anyhow .... now that the car is outta they way .... Games On! :rockin:
D, I loved it. I know we were told that the show would be better than we expected and even believing that it was even better than that. As far as the second outside torch, well it had to be the grand fanalle. The lighting of the caldrun always is and remember all the speculation about how do you keep a flame lit inside? Will it rim the dome?

This gave everyone something. I know it's subjective and there is no wright or wrong to a point but I thought Wayne leaving the stadium was brilliant. Here you've got the ceremies for the who's who of the world and any one lucky enough to afford an eleven hundred dollar ticket getting their fancy show and then the flame leaves the grand stage and spills out to the streets, where the people are and anyone happening to be walking along gets to run with it. I really enjoyed it. At that time of night, weather, and not knowing how many people are outside blocking streets it was probably the best way to travel was from the back of that truck.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Maybe you're onto something there... perhaps for whatever reason, they DIDN'T want the crowd singing along with it. At any rate, not sure if the blame lies with the performer, she was prob just happy to be there as a career-boosting move and was following someone else's arrangement. It's not like they played the music at regular tempo and she was lagging behind.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blame? You can't use that word to connotate that something was wrong. It went exactly as planned and rehearsed. I liked it, as this event called for a little extra flare or different style in my opinion.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Maybe you're onto something there... perhaps for whatever reason, they DIDN'T want the crowd singing along with it. At any rate, not sure if the blame lies with the performer, she was prob just happy to be there as a career-boosting move and was following someone else's arrangement. It's not like they played the music at regular tempo and she was lagging behind.

National anthem's are always being interpreted by the performers singing it. It was an original and very well sung.

No problem at all with her singing of the anthem.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote: ... I know it's subjective and there is no wright or wrong to a point but I thought Wayne leaving the stadium was brilliant ... and then the flame leaves the grand stage and spills out to the streets, where the people are and anyone happening to be walking along gets to run with it. I really enjoyed it. At that time of night, weather, and not knowing how many people are outside blocking streets it was probably the best way to travel was from the back of that truck.
The street scene was rather amazing. The excitement of the people. Running along with the vehicles. The outdoor torch. Wayne was very good with the people. All good, Man. :thup:

It annoyed me when the 4th arm did not rise. Technology. I don't trust it. All the stomping on the floor probably jammed up the cover. But, when you consider all the technology in the entire show, that glitch is small potatoes. And the outdoor torch is the key anyway.

I liked having Wayne go to the waterfront site by truck. Too far to run at that time of night by one person.

Usually I do not watch opening ceremonies. So long and boring. This one was pleasantly interesting. Hokey, but good. Singers were very good. Loved kd lang singing Hallelujah.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:Blame? You can't use that word to connotate that something was wrong. It went exactly as planned and rehearsed. I liked it, as this event called for a little extra flare or different style in my opinion.
I was using that word in the context of detractors criticising the arrangement. You're basically echoing my point — it went according to plan, not like she was lagging the music, as I said. Whether the arrangement was executed as intended and whether it was a good arrangement are completely separate issues. Some will say yes/yes, others yes/no and the latter want someone to "blame".
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.