Legend

wow

sad

I remember when Russell would suspend him
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Well I think I'll keep it then. I actually liked Pauser and thought he was great for radio. Sure many of his ideas were completely insane, but you knew of him. I knew of him. Most people knew of him and he was just plain entertaining to listen to. Regardless of whether or not you agreed with him, he was controversial and meant ratings. Controversy creates cash, and I think the radio stations really missed out with not trying to get more of him on their shows. Obviously too much of him would have turned people off, but in the right doses, he would have been a huge ratings booster.

But now we will never get to see (hear) that unfortunately. May he rest in peace. He will always be remembered.
I remember a lot of battles Paul and Dan had, mostly about the Canucks, but Dan did have him on to host to see what it was like at his end. Anyone remember that. BB
Didn't catch it at the time but I remember reading about it in the news shortly thereafter.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

http://forum.canucks.com/lofiversion/in ... 353-0.html
The Pauser was a guy from Burnaby named Paul Lalonde who started calling Dan Russell's show in the 80s. Back then Russell gave nicknames to some regular callers (The Poet, Faxman, Ranger Smith, etc.). The Pauser got his nickname because he would constantly pause...causing lots of dead air when he went on his rants.

He used to really criticize Burke and Quinn (always referring to him as Patrick Quinn). He said that Trevor Linden was one of the most overrated players in history. He also said players like Murray Craven had "no fire in their eyes."

He always said that Cliff Ronning should have had the "C." He loved Ronning, and Rob Brown (who played for Pittsburgh) and Jean LeBlanc (who played for Winnipeg).

Once Dan Russell gave him a thrill by letting him talk to Ronning on air (if memory serves me right).

I remember once when Steve Staios played for the Canucks, he called in and predicted that he wouldn't last in the NHL. Boy was he wrong.

He was also a huge fan of Garry Valk, and when Valk hosted as a fill-in at Mojo radio in 2006, the Pauser called and said more former players need to be commentators.
He called the Team 1040 occassionally but Pratt would always cut him off with dog barking noises. He even called their first televised episode on Sportsnet.
I know some Team 1040 producers used to screw with him by asking for his real name if he could get on, but he always said "The Pauser."

He used to hang out at rinks a lot, and watch minor, junior and pro. He once went up to Gilbert Brule's dad and started telling him who he should play for, and giving him all kinds of advice when Brule was with the Giants!

Pauser used to also call in to Bruce Allen's show on CFOX Sunday nights from 11PM to Midnight in the 90s, using his nickame.

One time Russell tried to get to know him better on the air. He asked him what he did for a living and Pauser said he was "the most famous unemployed man in Vancouver.

When the Team started in 2001, the Pauser won a contest where a caller got to come in to the studio and host a show. My friends who work at the Team said he would literally close his eyes and just go off on an hockey rant.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: But now we will never get to see (hear) that unfortunately. May he rest in peace. He will always be remembered.
I remember a lot of battles Paul and Dan had, mostly about the Canucks, but Dan did have him on to host to see what it was like at his end. Anyone remember that. BB
I sure do, I thought that it was a great way to help drive ratings and accomplish the feat of letting him have it at the same time.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:When the Team started in 2001, the Pauser won a contest where a caller got to come in to the studio and host a show. My friends who work at the Team said he would literally close his eyes and just go off on an hockey rant.
Thanks Robbie that is a fantastic write-up. I really cannot think of a better 'regular' caller then The Pauser. He didn't always agree 110% with the host, and knew his stuff, he was no poser.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Robbie wrote:When the Team started in 2001, the Pauser won a contest where a caller got to come in to the studio and host a show. My friends who work at the Team said he would literally close his eyes and just go off on an hockey rant.
Thanks Robbie that is a fantastic write-up. I really cannot think of a better 'regular' caller then The Pauser. He didn't always agree 110% with the host, and knew his stuff, he was no poser.
You're very welcome, MacNews. But I don't feel like taking someone else's credit (today) and just to let you know, that writeup was from someone on a Canucks message board. That's why I included the link at the top of the quote.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:
He knew some stuff, just like the weather man knows the weather, just enough to wrong often enough not to trust him, but correct enough to pay attention to him.

Passion and his ability to get wound up were two compelling listening attributes that the Pauser had going for him. Well that and the need to come back often enough even though in all likelyhood he was going to get the hook in the middle of his schtick.
Entertainment value = an all time low
obs
Champion

> I'm asking this on all the boards I post on, but do people feel I should change my username out of respect? Or would this serve more as a tribute?

Personally, I'm not a fan of using other people's unique nicknames.

Shame about the *real* Pauser. I enjoyed hearing him on the radio, regardless of whether or not what he was saying was crazy. I wished the talk show hosts would have given him more air time, though.

BTW, I didn't think the real Pauser was that old. He sounded a lot younger to me.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Troy from White Rock has some big shoes to fill!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.