There is no excuse, people should be ashamed.

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:The good news is that the plow did get to our street fairly quickly... the downside, of course, is that it only helps to block in the cars. It's nice having a Jeep so I can just power right through it!
While having every sidestreet plowed would be ideal, for larger municipalities and cities, which sidestreets get priority? What city expenditures get axed to allow for a snow removal contingency, which may never get used, and only expires on Dec 31 of each year?

Unfortunately, with larger vehicles, driver mentality changes, especially with 4WD. I saw one Jeep SUV powering down the Boundary Rd Hill (towards Marine), he tried to jump on his brakes, and slid through the intersection, narrowly missing being smoked by 2 cars and 2 tractor-trailers.

When I have driven in the snow, it's usually in 3rd.

While I don't condone people not shoveling their sidewalks, I can understand that certain factors limit individuals from doing so (age, physical capability, ability to exit house).

However, it is also plausible that people shovel up to the edge of the sidewalk, aka their property line, citing that, in response to the OP, that the road and sidewalk aren't theirs.

Having said that, when I was living in Kerrisdale, my dad and I would shovel our entire sidewalk from our front door all the way to the curb, and if our neighbours were out of town, we did theirs as well, only because our families were friends. By the same token, we also had a dog, and it was more work of us if we had to thoroughly wipe our dog down (which she didn't particularly like) before she entered the house.

For the record, nobody in my family owns a snow shovel because we all live in condo towers.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:What I always find perplexing is.

1. The limited amount of snow shovels and and salt available for sale in the lower mainland. When it snows, stocks are usually sold out in a few hours and you won't see any more for ages if at all. Will all the warnings we had this time around you might think some vendors might actually overstock knowing that they are going to be needed? Hell you might think that some vendors would just keep stock around all year and order mega batches. They don't go stale, invariably they will be needed. Just seems like a lost business opportunity every freakin year. Just keep them in the warehouse until they are needed and keep restocking your stores eh Canadian Tire!!! (who incidentally was advertising them in their recent flyer but of course had none and hadn't for a couple of weeks).

2. What happens to all the snow shovels that were bought in previous years? I mean, why is that there never seem to be enough. They don't have a time limit on them so why is there always a big crush every year to get snow shovels any ways?
I wonder about the same thing. Do people throw their snow shovel away every spring ? Same thing with fans ? Do they throw them out after every summer ?
I suspect many of those looking to buy shovels are new to the country, which is why I suggested they be given shovels with their papers along with advice on when they should be used to do what exactly.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
zark
Champion

yikes !!!!!
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:While I don't condone people not shoveling their sidewalks, I can understand that certain factors limit individuals from doing so (age, physical capability, ability to exit house).

However, it is also plausible that people shovel up to the edge of the sidewalk, aka their property line, citing that, in response to the OP, that the road and sidewalk aren't theirs.
Ah, they should familiarize themselves with local (and if applicable, strata) bylaws. I know our strata requires that the owners facing the street keep their sidewalks clear. I believe it's also a city bylaw in Pitt Meadows (although I'd have to look that up to be sure).
For the record, nobody in my family owns a snow shovel because we all live in condo towers.
Well, it's property management's responsibility then... probably still wouldn't hurt to carry one for when you need to dig your car out :)
KnowItAll wrote:I suspect many of those looking to buy shovels are new to the country, which is why I suggested they be given shovels with their papers along with advice on when they should be used to do what exactly.
I got a snowshovel (scraper type) for $15... they had a huge bin of them at Shopper's Drug Mart. Superstore had two HUGE pallets of 10kg bags of ice melter sitting out front, too. And both these were after the third day of the first big snowfall - if you haven't figured out by then that you might need these things, you probably shouldn't leave the house at all.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

While I don't disagree with anything you've said, my car is not exactly the largest or heaviest thing around, and when the height of the snowbanks and the roof of my car about the same, yeah, I'm not gonna be driving far, or anywhere at all.

I know that in Vancouver proper, all businesses and residents have to shovel their sidewalks. Maybe 10% of them do. I was down at Market Crossing (Marine Drive/Byrne Road, southside) and saw 6-8 guys shovelling the sidewalk. Presumably, those complexes are strata owned, however, I don't know. Ideally, every resident and storeowner does that, but like many things, people don't care, much like jaywalking and speeding are supposedly contraventions of city bylaws.

Until each city/municipality cracks down, very few sidewalks will actually get completely shovelled by someone.