Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Have a great Day and what a great Country to live in. :rockin:
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

:canada: Are those fireworks or palm trees? :)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

:canada:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Bosco
Team Captain

Happy Canada Day to one and all - or as today is known to many Quebecers as: "Dimanche" :roar:
pinkfreud

Vivre le Canada!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Happy Canada Day to one and all - or as today is known to many Quebecers as: "Dimanche" :roar:
:lol: :lol:
nelson95
Legend

Too bad about Kelowna
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
mightybuck
Legend

well - better late than never - I guess - hope you all had a great Canada day - 11 days ago. :rockin:
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Merry Christmas Mightybuck :wink:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Ballistic Bob
Legend

mightybuck wrote:well - better late than never - I guess - hope you all had a great Canada day - 11 days ago. :rockin:
Hi Steve. Are you coming up if Buck gets the start. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

:canada:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

As much as I love my country I do feel that the Canadian people need their governments to do better for them and to do it with less of the taxpayers money. This isn't a complaint about me personally as I have done very well with the opportunities this country has given me, but this is more of a concern about the future for younger Canadians. I can live with the high taxes and I have benefitted from good jobs, education etc. but it is about the direction our country is taking that concerns me.

What I want to see from Canada are governments who shift their views from 'your money is their money' but who tax only what is necessary to build a better health care system and education opportunities. The US is in huge deficits and Canada is not but all our governments are running huge surpluses for rainy days thus ensuring that the citizenry are not unable to prepare for their own rainy days.

I was born in 1945 and grew up thinking that if I worked hard that an upper middle income would lead to the good life. However, while I was working away all those years, I was less mindful that taxes were taking a bigger and bigger bite of my income. When the country was in huge debt and deficit I accepted that surcharges on income tax were needed. I didn't like the GST but accepted it as it is a fairer type of taxing to tax consumption and spending not incomes. However, now that governments are reaping huge surpluses at all levels of government due to high commodity prices primarily, taxpayers are not getting the relief they should be getting.

Governments it seems aren't thinking of how to do their best with less money, it consumes at rates that are unconscionable but help keep them being elected. I am not advocating for George Bush economics where he is blowing over $9 billion a month on Iraq and deficit financing the like of which the world has never seen. I am talking about a new social compact that says government will do its best for us - preserve our cultural values, institutions and services like health care and education as a means to prosperity - but do it with as little of our money as possible.

The Conference Board of Canada report just out shows that we are drifting as a nation and lack innovation in health care and are not keeping up with higher education and innovation. I see this stemming from the systems of funding both and the failure of our governments to provide a framework for innovation and funding that ensures that our health and education systems are world class. This is not advocating US style health care but doing better with our current systems.

http://sso.conferenceboard.ca/HCP.aspx

The irony for young people in Canada today is that those who are setting the fees for students and restricting the number of seats are the same Canadians who paid far less a percentage of their higher education during periods of time when at least the young men in our population could work in jobs that allowed us to fully fund our educations and more!!! The user pays mentality of our governments today is funny as it being set by people who themselves are where they are today as they enjoyed better paying summer and part time jobs than young people can get today.

We need to wake up and demand more of our governments and alter the debates from these American style attack ads to serious policy discussion and debate.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Remember this?

[youtube][/youtube]
Real women wear orange!!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Best Commercial EVER!!!!!!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Another year, another Canada Day. For what it's worth, Happy Canada Day. :canada:

Are you planning to bring out your Canadian flag and attend the fireworks? :good:
Or....are you planning to cross the border to go shopping in the USA? :wag:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。