anti wide screen rant\vent\whatever

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Lion Guy wrote:
Rammer wrote:
D wrote:on monday we are getting some 32" and 42" lcd tv's in :yahoo: ..... at the very least I will be returning my 26" and getting a 32" .... maybe 42" :cr:
Oh I didn't wait long enough, sigh. I had given upon you carrying them.....ahh I will see you Monday or Tuesday....:lol:
Where????
section 17 of course. Dont forget yer bucket :yes:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BBBob

KnowItAll wrote:
BBBob wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:you people are being (not very smart). Everyone has the choice not to buy something, or use something. Nobody forces anyone to watch wide screen, one can alway choose no tv, or no electricity, etc. It is different when something is being taken away, something that has been around for 5 decades, something that we have invested money in.

To equate Rammer bringing up tv in the first place, it would be only valid if it were something along the line of people invest in phonographs, then all the record producing companies decide they are going to stop making records and do tV instead, yet even that is not quite the same.

To equate to electricity, it would only be valid if everybody invested in gas furnace then were told there would be no gas, have to use electricity instead, or freeze.

As to the Beta VHS wars, it would only be a valid point if Beta had been the one used for 50 yrs, then for some reason everybody decided to go VHS instead.

Take the horse and buggy, are we still allowed to use horse and buggy on city streets, or were people forced to give that up for cars?? That must have ticked many people off back then, justifiably.

It is not that one is forced to use the new thing but when the old thing is taken away that is so bad. When the new can co exist with the old, then I have not much problem, except when I go to my in-laws.

I will not use wireless keyboards and mouse but I have no problem with their existance, until they are forced on me by the dissappearance of wire.

I have both wireless and wire phones, but I will be some pissed if I am ever forced to go totally wireless. For one thing, the wired ones are the only onces that still work in power outage, besides cell phones. I also have two cell phone, but will be some pissed if I am ever forced to only have cell phones. It is all about the right to choose to be "old fashioned" and stick to that which you are used to for many yrs and like. If I wanted, I should always still be able to use rotary phones.

For those that love your suv, big trucks, etc, how would you like to find out that all you can get now is smart cars. Yet at least with that, there would be good environmental benefit and reason.

As for the sheep thing, anyone who has any understanding of human nature knows that while many choose wide screen because they really like it better and have been waiting yrs to be able to see it on TV, many more just are going along with the trend. Sheep. Latest "in" thing. In many circles, if you dont soon go wide screen, it will be like "whats wrong with you", ect. Also, it allows people to brag about their new tv at the office, etc. Sheep.

Sheep sheep sheep

I point to Disco as proof. When it was new, it was so popular, you were a minus if you were not into it. Then some idiots came along and bashed disco, had a big disco record breaking event at a baseball stadium, and low and behold, the same people loving disco were now dissing it, and continue to be ashamed of their enjoyment of it. Why, because it became unpopular, they were told it was bad and they were a minus to like it, so they "crossed over". Sheep

Sheep sheep sheep
Are you for real or is this some kind of weird exercise? :?

I had a lot to say on this ridiculous rant, but I'll let a sentence sum it up.

My Dad has a saying that you ought to follow:
"Don't worry about your neighbor's sheep, just worry about your own sheep."

I'm sure you get the meaning of that saying.
I have no idea what you are saying??? You seem to be in disagreement with me, but have made no point to that end.
My point is, don't worry about what other people are doing, worry about your own life.

If people want to buy a tv with a 16:9 viewing ratio and HD, so be it.
To call people sheep (I think the term that you are looking for is "sheeple" btw) because of what they purchase is:
1) Insulting to them
2) Shows you spend far too much time worrying about other peoples lives.

It's one thing top have a discussion, it's another to use the discussion as a weaopn to bash people for no good reason.

The 16:9 format and HD are the best things to happen to televised sports since colour TV. You can see so much more of what is happerning, see plays develop much better that there is no comparison.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

BBBob wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
BBBob wrote:
Are you for real or is this some kind of weird exercise? :?

I had a lot to say on this ridiculous rant, but I'll let a sentence sum it up.

My Dad has a saying that you ought to follow:
"Don't worry about your neighbor's sheep, just worry about your own sheep."

I'm sure you get the meaning of that saying.
I have no idea what you are saying??? You seem to be in disagreement with me, but have made no point to that end.
My point is, don't worry about what other people are doing, worry about your own life.

If people want to buy a tv with a 16:9 viewing ratio and HD, so be it.
To call people sheep (I think the term that you are looking for is "sheeple" btw) because of what they purchase is:
1) Insulting to them
2) Shows you spend far too much time worrying about other peoples lives.

It's one thing top have a discussion, it's another to use the discussion as a weaopn to bash people for no good reason.

The 16:9 format and HD are the best things to happen to televised sports since colour TV. You can see so much more of what is happerning, see plays develop much better that there is no comparison.
I assume that you responded to the post you quoted before reading the rest of the thread where I have addressed most of what you said. I will point out again tho that my concern about "other people choices" is only because of the negative affect it is having on myself. I beleive if only those who really demand wide screen would go for it, and none of the sheep(le) did, then there would still be enough of a demand for full screen for them to find a way to satisfy both.


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Hell, maybe my whole beef with the sheep is still routed in my resentment over the Disco thing :oops: :yes:

And I have always hated the way fads come and go. When I find something I like, I want it to stick around. I really hate trying to get more a couple of yrs later and not ever being able to find it again, sigh :x

people should just like stuff because it appeals to them, not because it is the latest, or because of peer pressure, or because some idiot in Paris says it is the thing to wear now, etc.


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

KnowItAll wrote:I assume that you responded to the post you quoted before reading the rest of the thread where I have addressed most of what you said. I will point out again tho that my concern about "other people choices" is only because of the negative affect it is having on myself.
If the shape of your TV picture is causing your THIS MUCH stress that it's causing a "negative affect" (the proper word is EFFECT, by the way) on your whole life, then maybe it's time to just turn the TV off for a few months. Go outside, get some fresh air, climb a mountain, swim to Nanaimo, walk the Seawall (oops, scratch that)...
Last edited by Soundy on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Soundy wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I assume that you responded to the post you quoted before reading the rest of the thread where I have addressed most of what you said. I will point out again tho that my concern about "other people choices" is only because of the negative affect it is having on myself.
If the shape of your TV picture is causing your THIS MUCH stress that it's "negatively affecting" (the proper word is EFFECT, by the way) your whole life, then maybe it's time to just turn the TV off for a few months. Go outside, get some fresh air, climb a mountain, swim to Nanaimo, walk the Seawall (oops, scratch that)...
How much stress......teacher?? 8)


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

Poor wording stemming from early-morning caffeine deficiency notwithstanding (check edit above)...


(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
obs
Champion
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:27 pm
Location: vancouver.bc.ca

we dont look at the world with perifial vision that is twice as wide as it is high.

Umm, yes it is, unless you're a mutant. Look in the mirror and see how your eyes are placed. They're not stacked one on top of the other.

Okay, it's not twice as wide, but then 16:9 isn't either. People didn't just pull the 16:9 ratio out of their ass. It's pretty much the field of vision for humans.



Movies (pretty much inception) have been filmed in "widescreen" version.

When the majority of people got TVs, that's when the movie studios decided that they need to do something extra to draw people to the cinema, so widescreen was the result.



It is rare that anything "cut" for tv is a needed part of a show. Its all extra. They usually do a good job of editing so that you see what you need to see for the story.

Sure, it's all extra, but it enhances the show, just like all the extra sound effects in the background. Imagine what it's like to watch Star Trek without the little gizmo noises or background humming when they're in cruising in space.



Since all new TVs are going widescreen, there's also little incentive to continue producing new shows in 4:3 at all.

Right, because it is extra work for them to reproduce a widescreen show to fullscreen. They don't just take a WS image and crop it to FS. They have to go through it and decide where pan and scan is needed so that important stuff isn't omitted.


PS. I wonder how many people realize that the majority of modern TFT computer monitors are actually 5:4 (1280x1024) and not 4:3.


BBBob

Kinda' off-topic.
I bought The Wife a 19" widescreen LCD monitor for xmas - wow, it is nice to use as you can have two seperate windows side by side and view everything nicely!

Having said that, I simply use 2 non-widescreen monitors attached to my computer to multi-task, works sweet!

I still haven't connected a computer to my 42" plasma tv yet, ought to try that sometime soon, ought to look sweet! (thinking gaming)

Anyhow KIA, no offense intended to you. Although I disagree with your statements regarding widescreen tvs/ broadcasts, I do agree with you sheeple sentiments. I never, ever do/ buy anything just because it's "the IN thing to do". I don't wear the latest fashion, i don't buy the latest cell phone/ mp3 player/ tv/ whatever "just because everyone is doing it".

<<< not a sheeple.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

BBBob wrote:Kinda' off-topic.
I bought The Wife a 19" widescreen LCD monitor for xmas - wow, it is nice to use as you can have two seperate windows side by side and view everything nicely!

Having said that, I simply use 2 non-widescreen monitors attached to my computer to multi-task, works sweet!

I still haven't connected a computer to my 42" plasma tv yet, ought to try that sometime soon, ought to look sweet! (thinking gaming)

Anyhow KIA, no offense intended to you. Although I disagree with your statements regarding widescreen tvs/ broadcasts, I do agree with you sheeple sentiments. I never, ever do/ buy anything just because it's "the IN thing to do". I don't wear the latest fashion, i don't buy the latest cell phone/ mp3 player/ tv/ whatever "just because everyone is doing it".

<<< not a sheeple.
:rockin: its all good :yes:

I wouldnt start these topics if I didnt think I could take the flak, although sometimes I do wish people could stick to discussing the topic instead of taking jabs at the author, sigh

People get soooooo emotional :roll: :twisted: :wink: :lol:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

BBBob wrote:Kinda' off-topic.
I bought The Wife a 19" widescreen LCD monitor for xmas - wow, it is nice to use as you can have two seperate windows side by side and view everything nicely!
I just recently picked up a 22" widescreen for my computer. Very sexy, although doesn't do quite the resolution of my old 21" Sony F500 CRT monitor (the LCD maxes out at 1680x1050, the CRT does up to 2048x1536!). Still, the Sony was getting a little fuzzy and losing contrast, and while it's still gorgeous for gaming on, it's not suitable for photo editing anymore.
Anyhow KIA, no offense intended to you. Although I disagree with your statements regarding widescreen tvs/ broadcasts, I do agree with you sheeple sentiments. I never, ever do/ buy anything just because it's "the IN thing to do". I don't wear the latest fashion, i don't buy the latest cell phone/ mp3 player/ tv/ whatever "just because everyone is doing it".
The important thing is making a distinction between a "fad" and an actual "advancement". High-definition TVs are an advancement; ever-changing-and-recycling clothing styles are a fad. The former is an improvement over the old, the latter isn't.

Insinuating that majority of people buy upgraded technology simply because it's the "cool" thing to do is ignorant and insulting.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Insinuating that majority of people buy upgraded technology simply because it's the "cool" thing to do is ignorant and insulting.
only if you think you might be one of those people.


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

KnowItAll wrote:
Insinuating that majority of people buy upgraded technology simply because it's the "cool" thing to do is ignorant and insulting.
only if you think you might be one of those people.
And that's even more insulting. You, sir, are an ass.


User avatar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7337
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Location: Delta

Soundy wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Insinuating that majority of people buy upgraded technology simply because it's the "cool" thing to do is ignorant and insulting.
only if you think you might be one of those people.
And that's even more insulting. You, sir, are an ass.
tsk tsk tsk, so easily offended you are. Thats what I get for simply trying to reason with you I guess. Some people are just determined to find insult where none is meant, sigh. :bang: :bang: :bang:


Every day that passes is one you can't get back
User avatar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:37 pm
Location: Turn left at the Pattullo

KnowItAll wrote:tsk tsk tsk, so easily offended you are. Thats what I get for simply trying to reason with you I guess. Some people are just determined to find insult where none is meant, sigh.
And some people don't know when to let go.

Move on KIA, you've, cough cough, made your point.

And this link is provided for your benefit, as you did write that you are "having picture taken away from you"

http://www.widescreen.org/downloads/wid ... nation.swf


I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Post Reply