RIP Vic Kristopaitis

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

QB Club 63
All Star

Just read in the paper about the passing of former Lions punter Vic Kristopaitis. He was 85.

Here's an excerpt from his obituary:
"Sadly, Vic passed away surrounded by family, due to complications from Alzheimer's disease.

Victor was born in Swissvale, Pennsylvania, the youngest of 4 children, born to immigrants from Lithuania.

He grew up teaching himself how to kick footballs over the phone lines, and was an altar boy in the Catholic church.He attended University of Dayton on scholarship, where he earned the MVP trophy as a senior. After a brief time in the US Marine Corps, he was the 17th draft pick in the NFL for the 49ers in 1957. He then went to the Toronto Argonauts until 1959. Vic was a kicker, linebacker, and could also play guard. He was known widely as "Vic the kick." When Vic was traded to the BC Lions he met "Audrey of Australia" and they married in 1961.

When his football career ended in 1963, he had a partnership in a glass company, which became Kristo's Glass and is still operating today.

In the 70s, Vic was "Coach Kristo" to the young football players he coached at the Vancouver College. He also had a BC Lions post game show on NW'98.

Victor was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2008. He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Audrey; his kids, Tony and Andrea; son-in-law, Ken; and his loving sister, Mary."

I just thought I should add that he was probably the reason I began punting as a wet-behind-the-ears kid who was too shy to actually join a team. Thanks #57!
David
Team Captain

RIP Vic. I used to know his daughter Andrea several years ago.

To live 12 years after an Alzheimer's diagnosis is quite long, I believe it is typically more in the 5-10 year range (or less, depending on age) which can be both a blessing and a curse.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar