Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sammy Greene thanks for posting that. I'll check it out later.
There was good discussion about Betts' future in BC during Moj's Lions on Tap podcasts last week.
In a discussion with Farhan Moj predicts Betts will head back to his hometown and sign with Montreal as the off field marketing opportunities outweigh anything the Lions could offer. Farhan wasn't as convinced
[media]https://bc-lions-radio-network.simpleca ... 3-8mCK2MK_[/media]

After his outstanding player award win, Betts is a guest a day later and hinted the Lions are already in discussions with his agent regarding an extension and he would like to resolve his situatuon sooner than later.
[media]https://bc-lions-radio-network.simpleca ... 3-MGah4hOf[/media]
No doubt McEvoy wants to nail this contract down ASAP.

Moj is likely spot on with marketing opportunities in Quebec but I'd not underestimate the always astute Farhan Lalji as he usually seems to know these players.
The number of French Canadians on the Alouettes is significant I think and it's part of what the Als are trying to sell and build. Their new owner is a very rich Quebecer too. I'd guess they have room to sign a player of Betts' calibre given that they signed players in the turmoil with no owner and a GM who even cautioned Maas and IIRC Fajardo how things might change.

Note who got the biggest cheers at their parade:
The players arrived at the “Quartier des Spectacles” and were presented individually to the crowd. Marc-Antoine Dequoy and Cody Fajardo received the warmest welcomes before owner Pierre-Karl Peladeau took the stage to fire up the crowd.
Where does Betts go off-season? He strikes me as pretty much a Quebecer as he went to Laval and if like Dequoy who went to U of Montreal - both French universities, maybe he'd love to play at home and no doubt soak up extra cash with sponsorships and marketing.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Good to see Stove give it another shot. Could be a great signing for BC.

As for Betts, lots of factors go into where a player ultimately signs. Dollars, coaches, team culture, location, relationships outside football, among others. Not everyone wants to stay close to home. I certainly don’t know enough about Betts’ priorities to make any guesses, but Betts has had his best success under Bowman and the team seems to have a good culture. I suspect the dollars will be there. That’s all we can control.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:34 pm
Good to see Stove give it another shot. Could be a great signing for BC.

As for Betts, lots of factors go into where a player ultimately signs. Dollars, coaches, team culture, location, relationships outside football, among others. Not everyone wants to stay close to home. I certainly don’t know enough about Betts’ priorities to make any guesses, but Betts has had his best success under Bowman and the team seems to have a good culture. I suspect the dollars will be there. That’s all we can control.
So true Max. The old saying money can't buy you happiness rings true. CFL salaries being what they are all those other factors you mentioned become much more pivotal. I don't believe guys will jump at an extra $10K unless a lot of those other things meet their satisfaction.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Re: Betts staying in B.C. It is also worth noting that Menard, another Quebecer, left BC to sign with the Als, played one season there and then returned to BC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The one pending FA I have tagged as being "most likely to push the market" is Hollins. He does display that sort of cockiness and brashness that me might be willing to sell out to the highest bidder.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The league has published its official list of pending free agents for each team. The Lions’ list appears to have 22 names, as on the original 3downnation list.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa24/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

On FAs moving for money, Zach Collaros cautioned Bomber players post-Grey Cup game that "the grass is not always greener" much along the lines of Lawler in Edmonton last year where he moved for big dollars and no doubt the driving issue that might have been a factor.

With CFL contracts for many players outside the QBs and major stars the old adage that "man does not live by bread ($$$) alone unless he has no bread" kicks in. Some will always go for the bread given how short their careers are.

The Lions will not want to lose Betts for sure. If he wants a quick deal that sounds positive that he is leaning to staying more than open to leaving BC. That Betts and Bowman interview during GC shows a lot of solidity.

Even Jason Maas is saying now that group who won the Grey Cup won't all be back so who knows if Maciocia has Bett's profile in his backpack. The way it was said this time was a bit different than hey we want them all back. I might be reading too much into that.

I was looking for the exact Maas quote and came across a story that his father was killed when he was young. Unimaginable horror for a young wife and son.
His father, Gary Alan Maas, a police officer, was shot and killed the night before, shortly before midnight on April 9, 1986, by two fugitives wanted for murder. As Maas, only 29, handcuffed one, the other began shooting. Maas returned fire and killed one of the fugitives, but was fatally struck himself, becoming the first Yuma, Ariz., officer killed in the line of duty.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/foot ... jason-maas
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:37 pm
The one pending FA I have tagged as being "most likely to push the market" is Hollins. He does display that sort of cockiness and brashness that me might be willing to sell out to the highest bidder.
I sense that too Hambone and honestly I can't blame him. All-star season and Lions clear #2 receiver behind Hatcher in 2023. At 27, entering the prime of his career and wouldn't be surprised if he's looking to tryout for NFL teams first before entering FA up here.

Lions certainly have some work to do to figure out their 2024 receiving core. Rhymes asked for a trade last winter until he got extended for around $200,000 but his production fell off a cliff down the stretch after he returned from injury. At 31 next season will he bounce back to all-star form to justify his salary?

Helping his cause is the uncertainty of when Hatcher will be back on the field who also is a pending FA and McElvoy described as "our clear #1 guy."

Then there's Cottoy who is still only 26 and no way the Lions can afford for him to hit the open market.

To manage the salary cap they are going to need some new entry level contracts among their starters with Hollins, Hladik, Woods and Edwards-Cooper having all moved beyond that. Ayden Eberhardt is a prime candidate, whether that's stepping in for an injured Hatcher, the likely departure of pending FA Lucky Whitehead or sadly replacing Hollins.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed QB Chase Brice, who spent most of the 2023 season on the practice roster but should push for a roster spot in 2024, assuming pending free agent Dominique Davis is not brought back. Dane Evans is also a potential free agent.

One notable name among 6 other new signings is WR Jamarius Way, who looked good as a big-bodied deep threat (6 ft. 4, 220 lbs.) in the Lions’ 2022 training camp and preseason before suffering an elbow injury and being released. The Lions will likely have openings in their 2024 receiving corps. Keon Hatcher is a pending free agent and is likely to miss at least part of the season recovering from Achilles surgery. Jevon Cottoy, Lucky Whitehead, Alex Hollins and Terry Williams are also pending free agents.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/11/27/493632/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

CFL.CA has rated the top 30 pending free agents with 4 Lions in the mix:

Betts #2
Hatcher #6
Hollins #12
Hladik #18

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/29/cfl-cas-t ... -agents-9/

No surprise to see Cottoy included among 5 "under radar" pending FAs. I hope he is very high on the Lions priority list.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/30/cauz-five ... ee-agents/

TSN's Marshall Ferguson is another member of the media suggesting Betts is heading home next season to Montreal.
I fear for BC fans that Danny Maciocia and the Alouettes will see even greater value in bringing the immense talent home to Quebec.
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/12/01/ferguson- ... rity-list/

Betts will be the domino that determines which direction the Lions are going as his expected salary would nearly be enough pay two FAs. Maybe I would feel better if the club used him in their 2024 season ticket promotions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see the Lions are using Cottoy’s photo in their season ticket promotions, even though he’s a pending free agent who has sought out NFL opportunities in recent years. That’s a good sign that the team expects to keep him and make him a key piece of the offence.

Cottoy had a career-high 807 yards in 2023 despite having the second fewest targets among the CFL’s top 20 receivers. He led the league by catching 83.8% of the passes thrown to him, ranked second among regular receivers in yards per target (11.9) and fifth overall in yards after the catch (417). All that was accomplished while being used mainly as blocker and checkdown receiver. Imagine if the Lions tried to make him a bigger part of their offence.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Cottoy could be the next Ray Elgaard.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:17 pm
Yes, or, to pick a former truly dynamic Lion; Cottoy could be the next Jason Clermont. (Clermont was maybe an inch shorter than Elgaard and a handul of pounds heavier. ) Cottoy is taller and a bit heavier than either of those lads. A must to sign. And , agreed, a player to feature in the offence schemes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Hope you don't mean his going offside on the waggle. :wink:
OV:54-40
Starter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:08 pm
DanoT wrote:
Yes, or, to pick a former truly dynamic Lion; Cottoy could be the next Jason Clermont. (Clermont was maybe an inch shorter than Elgaard and a handul of pounds heavier. ) Cottoy is taller and a bit heavier than either of those lads. A must to sign. And , agreed, a player to feature in the offence schemes.
Cottoy is capable of multiple 1000 yard seasons IMO; a must have on the offence and needs to be used even more.

Cottoy & McInnis as twin towers inside receivers ...