Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:34 pm
The smoke was thick in Kamloops Thursday, and the Lions toned down the intensity a bit in a practice that lasted just over two hours.

Bryan Burnham and Ryker Mathews remained on the sideline but Lemar Durant was back on the field and took his customary first-team reps at slotback. Phil Norman continued to replace Mathews at right tackle and take second-team reps at centre. Keon Hatcher remained at Burnham's slotback spot but hasn't done much to stand out.

Quarterback play remains a problem area. Michael Reilly hasn't thrown a ball all week. Will Arndt and Nathan Rourke again split first-team reps and seemed to have good control of the short passing game but have had no success throwing downfield. Rourke showed his strong arm by trying unsuccessfully to hit Lucky Whitehead on a deep ball in triple coverage. Whitehead appeared to misjudge the ball, which was safely knocked down and probably should have been intercepted. Arndt missed an open Whitehead in the end zone on a rollout to the right. He missed Whitehead on what may have been the same play Wednesday. He can't seem to throw on the run. Arndt also floated a wide-side out pass that was snagged for a pick-6 by Victor Gamboa in the biggest play of the practice. It was a huge play for Gamboa, who took second-team reps at field corner behind Jalon Edwards-Cooper after being on the first team since the start of camp. Kiante Hardin and Bejour Wlson also got some first-team reps as the Lions shuffled the secondary around a bit.

Gridiron Ernie asked about the linebackers, specifically global draft pick Boqiao Li and UBC product Ben Hladik. According to Matt Baker of the Lions, Li is still trying to get a work permit from China and is on the suspended list. The Lions hope to get him into the country eventually. As best as I could determine, here are the first, second and third team linebacker rotations. (The strong side linebacker is generally considered to be a DB these days):

WILL: Bo Lokombo, Dyshawn Davis, Jordan M. Williams
MAC: Jordan X. Williams, Adam Konar, Ben Hladik
SAM: Anthony Cioffi, Austin Joyner, O'Shane Samuels

Takeru Yamasaki again showed his strong leg, hitting 2 of 3 long field goal attempts and missing the third just wide left. Sefan Flintoft and Jake Ford split punting reps and both kicked well. With only one global roster spot, I don't know what happens if the Lions choose to keep Yamasaki and Ford. I assume they'll just have to dress one less American player.

Finally, for anyone planning to attend camp, especially for the second scrimmage Saturday morning, be aware that the gates to the Hillside Stadium grandstand have been locked more days than not, with signs saying the facility is closed to all but media members. That's not true. City staff just haven't remembered to unlock the gates, and the signs are remnants from Week 1 when all CFL stadiums were closed due to COVID protocols. You can enter through the field-level gate at the east end of the grandstand closest to the Tournament Capital Centre. Fans are supposed to cross two lines of caution tape to get to the west end of the grandstand. The east end of the grandstand is reserved for media but most days there are no media members present, and most fans have sat there. I saw Farhan Lalji once last week and Chad Klassen of local CFJC TV on Wednesday. The dozen-or-so diehard fans who find their way into the stadium each weekday are the only outside eyes on the team.

Hambone also asked about depth charts. Unfortunately, the most we get at the stadium is a copy of the online position chart linked to the training camp page of bclions.com. Most CFL teams have apparently stopped issuing training camp depth charts. I may be the only person charting first- and second-team reps. It's been that way for several years, even when the club issued more detailed numerical position charts.
Thanks B.C.FAN -- a lot of good stuff here from you. Much appreciate your eyes-and-ears -- our Lionbackers in-house/on-the-spot investigative reporter! Sounds like fun, but for the smoke; the air quality must be a challenge for all at times, even if one's just an observer. My old set of lungs wouldn't like it. BTW, I enjoyed a video interview on the Lions website featuring fullback David Mackie. Sounds like a savvy team leader, and a versatile athlete with a real place--i.e. and active ball-carrying and/or receiving place in the offence, potentially. That said, I don't think we have a backup at his position at all (Villamizar retired, no?). Wonder who'd fill in if needed. I guess whoever's the best blocker among the halfbacks. Good as Mackie might be, they seem thin there at FB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:52 pm
Thanks B.C.FAN -- a lot of good stuff here from you. Much appreciate your eyes-and-ears -- our Lionbackers in-house/on-the-spot investigative reporter! Sounds like fun, but for the smoke; the air quality must be a challenge for all at times, even if one's just an observer. My old set of lungs wouldn't like it. BTW, I enjoyed a video interview on the Lions website featuring fullback David Mackie. Sounds like a savvy team leader, and a versatile athlete with a real place--i.e. and active ball-carrying and/or receiving place in the offence, potentially. That said, I don't think we have a backup at his position at all (Villamizar retired, no?). Wonder who'd fill in if needed. I guess whoever's the best blocker among the halfbacks. Good as Mackie might be, they seem thin there at FB.
Mackie has been getting some touches as a running back and receiver. He doesn't have great hands. The FB often lines up as an H-back or tight end. I would love the Lions to give Jevon Cottoy more reps in that role. He has fullback size at 6 ft. 5, 230 lbs., along with one of the best sets of hands on the team. He has been getting touches and has made the best of them but is still confined to the second or third team offence.
David
Team Captain

I could actually see Wayne Moore as a viable back-up to David Mackie. The 6'0" 220lb running back could be a steady blocker and can carry the ball as we've seen.

However, what many may not be aware of is that earlier this month it was reported that Wayne was involved in an automobile accident and is recovering at home. He may return later sometime season and I am keeping my fingers crossed for him. I've always like his play.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, good thoughts from both of you (B.C.FAN and David)... I was wondering about Wayne Moore and had forgotten about his unfortunate circumstance. I wish him a full and speedy recovery. And, yes, it seems there could be some more creative use for Cottoy. Here's hoping things work out well for them both.
BC 1988
Legend

I just did a cursory look at reports from other camps, but it looks like no one else currently has no experienced QB ready to go for the start of the season--now less than 2 weeks away. Are there any options readily available if Reilly isn't able to start the season? Hell, I think they should be thinking about 6-gaming him.

With nothing but raw rookies (apart from Arndt, who isn't much better) unable to throw long with accuracy, this season could be very ugly before the home opener.
David
Team Captain

Not pushing the panic button yet, but if Reilly is held out again today (Friday) and gets no reps in the second scrimmage tomorrow, then I am officially worrying. That would only leave one scrimmage with anything remotely simulating a real game situation with which to get in synch with the first-team offense.

The elephant in the room: At what point does a pitch-count (limited throws due to stiffness/soreness) become a full-on injury (shut him down)? :popcorn:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The sun broke through the haze for a spirited but short practice Friday morning inside the still-locked gates of Hillside Stadium in Kamloops.

Ade Aruna has been added to the Lions' roster from the suspended list after clearing quarantine. He took third team reps at defensive end. The Lions have the maximum 75 players in camp, plus 10 draft picks who don’t count on the training camp roster. Final cuts will come next week. Teams can dress only 44 players this year under the revised CBA.

Bryan Burnham took part in some position drills and played a bit of catch on the side with Michael Reilly but there wasn't much change on the injury front. DB T.J. Lee sat out and did some leg work with Reilly on the adjacent running track.

Will Arndt and Nathan Rourke again split first-team reps. Rourke's poise and command of the offence improves each day, and he is by far the best passer among the three contenders for a single roster spot behind Reilly. He competed 10 of 12 passes, with a 10-yard TD to Lucky Whitehead in goal-line offence and an interception by Jeff Hector on a medium-range crosser.

Arndt was 4 of 9 and again struggled to throw on the run. I spent two hours on Thursday talking with an Ottawa fan who said Arndt has a reputation as a poor practice player. That was the best thing he had to say about him.

Shea Patterson struggles to make decisions in the pocket and get rid of the ball. He was 5 of 7 with a TD to rookie draft pick Cordell Hastings in goal-line offence. Hastings also dropped a pass from Patterson, who is clearly No. 3 on the depth chart although I like his upside better than Arndt's.

Jevon Cottoy stood out among receivers with 3 catches in team play while being confined mainly to the third-team offence. Shaq Johnson was shaken up in team play and walked slowly off the field but shook it off and came back in the next team session.

The running back rotation, in order, is Shaq Cooper, Jamel Lyles, James Butler, Reggie Corbin and Chris Rainey. Powell has looked good but I don't know if there's a spot for him on the active roster.

The Lions have shuffled positions in the defensive secondary in the past two days. Jalon Edwards-Cooper again took reps at field corner ahead of Victor Gamboa. Bejour Wilson filled in for Lee at boundary halfback, Marcus Sayles moved to safety in place of Tyvis Powell and Kiante Hardin took Sayles' spot at field halfback. Ben Hladik took reps at middle linebacker in place of Jordan X. Williams. I don't know if the Lions are just trying to give a closer look to players vying for roster positions or whether the changes reflect a longer-term shakeup of the depth chart. The D-line remains unchanged, with J.R. Tavai and Obum Gwacham at end and Ufomba Kamalu and Josh Banks in the middle. Tavai and Kamalu have stood out.

In a positive sign, Hladik took reps on special teams along with fellow rookie nationals Matt McConnell and Alfred Green, global defensive tackle Nik Gustav, American DB Nydair Rouse and the usual cast of backups and versatile starters.

Takeru Yamasaki continues to impress, hitting all 7 field goals with plenty of distance to spare. Yamasaki and Stefan Flintoft split kickoff duties, with both regularly sending the ball 65 to 68 yards deep inside the 10 yard line. Chris Rainey looks as dangerous as ever on returns. Jimmie Robinson Jr. also had a good return.

Overall, the defence has been well ahead of the offence so far, thanks largely to injuries and inexperience at quarterback and receiver. But the overall atmosphere and chemistry of the team seems great, with lots of healthy chatter from players, especially on defence. Practices are crisp and efficient under the low-key leadership of Rick Campbell. There are no whistles or horns. Campbell directs everything without raising his voice. Special team coach Don Yanowski is probably the loudest person on the field but that's likely because he has to shout his commands to players spread 50 or 60 yards apart.

Saturday's second scrimmage will be the last chance for most rookies to make an impression before the serious cuts begin. It should be intense.
BC 1988
Legend

Dreaming time now: Imagine Rourke becoming the starter out of camp (with Reilly sidelined/6-gamed.) His college bio is pretty impressive, and he's a Victoria, BC NAT!

Dreaming time off. He's a Victoria, BC NAT. Can he become the first NAT CFL starting QB since Gerry Dattilio?
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am
Ben Hladik took reps at middle linebacker in place of Jordan X. Williams. I don't know if the Lions are just trying to give a closer look to players vying for roster positions or whether the changes reflect a longer-term shakeup of the depth chart.
Thanks again for the wonderfully thorough update, B.C.FAN. Lots of great tidbits here and your attention to names and detail is impeccable.

Watching Coach Campbell's presser, he speaks highly of Hladik and I infer that he most certainly fits in their plans, with Campbell noting that he doesn't look place at all out there.

@ 2:50:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Continue to enjoy your most informative reports, B.C.FAN. I'd feel somewhat in the dark without them (although I also appreciate Matt Baker's reports--though they tend to be somewhat less detailed over all). Good complimentary reads, to have the both of you. Comment; regards Jevon Cottoy doing third-team reps; I can only surmise that he, being somewhat proven/experienced, is merely down there to allow for some rookies to show their stuff while they have a chance, as from a coaches perspective you don't want to miss out on a new find. Perhaps that's naive thinking on my part though. And I'm wondering who's getting the second-team reps? I suppose guys like Custis and Scarfone. I think you indicated Keon Hatcher was getting first-team reps (due to Burnham being sidelined). Otherwise I'm just plain puzzled why Cottoy would be third-team.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:30 pm
Continue to enjoy your most informative reports, B.C.FAN. I'd feel somewhat in the dark without them (although I also appreciate Matt Baker's reports--though they tend to be somewhat less detailed over all). Good complimentary reads, to have the both of you. Comment; regards Jevon Cottoy doing third-team reps; I can only surmise that he, being somewhat proven/experienced, is merely down there to allow for some rookies to show their stuff while they have a chance, as from a coaches perspective you don't want to miss out on a new find. Perhaps that's naive thinking on my part though. And I'm wondering who's getting the second-team reps? I suppose guys like Custis and Scarfone. I think you indicated Keon Hatcher was getting first-team reps (due to Burnham being sidelined). Otherwise I'm just plain puzzled why Cottoy would be third-team.
Scarfone was ahead of Cottoy at the start of camp. He played for Rick Campbell in Ottawa and did well when he got a chance early in camp. Cottoy was a late signing who may not have been in the coaches’ offseason plans. Lately Cottoy has been making as many catches as anyone and usually picks up healthy yards after the catch.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C. FAN provides more update than Global so called "Sports" Squire Barnes is a joke. Should quit acting like a comedian and flirting with the news anchor.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A healthy crowd was lined up outside the locked gates of Hillside Stadium Saturday morning for the second scrimmage of Lions' training camp. The gates were eventually opened and everyone got in and settled in the designated spectator area of the grandstand before the one-hour scrimmage began at 9 a.m.

Injured quarterback Michael Reilly watched in street clothes. Receivers Bryan Burnham and Lemar Durant and DB T.J. Lee also sat out. Ryker Mathews was in action as first-team right tackle. The injuries have given other players a chance to make plays. Keon Hatcher filled in for Burnham, as he has for the past week. Jake Bofshever replaced Durant and made several catches.

Will Arndt took first-team reps, followed by Nathan Rourke and Shea Patterson. As he did last week, Patterson performed much better in the scrimmage than in weekday practices. Arndt and Patterson still tend to hold the ball too long in the pocket.

I spent a lot of time chatting with Hambone and others but as best as I could chart it, Arndt completed 6 of 10 passes, with 2 interceptions including an end-zone pick by Kiante Hardin, who has taken first-team reps as field halfback in recent days, with Marcus Sayles moved to safety. Arndt's first pass was knocked down by a blitzing Anthony Cioffi in the backfield.

Unofficially Rourke was 12 of 17, including an early bomb to Shaq Johnson to set up a 5-yard TD pass to Alex Wesley. Rourke also capped a successful drive with a TD on a quarterback sneak.

Patterson was 8 of 11, with 3 TDs to Jonathon Johnson on a jump ball, Bofshever and Jesse Walker. One of his incompletions was a drop by Jamal Custis, who has been quiet lately after impressing with his size and hands in the first week of camp.

Adam Konar made several plays as second-team middle linebacker. Newly added third-team defensive end Ade Aruna had a knockdown at the line of scrimmage.

In a nice touch, the players applauded the fans at the end of the scrimmage.

Coaches will have a tough time with some positional battles, especially in the secondary, where a lot of first-year Lions have looked good. Cuts are expected to begin Sunday or Monday.
David
Team Captain

Awesome report again, B.C.FAN. Thank you.

Didn't know much about Bofshever. Had to look him up but it looks like he had a decent day.

I don't know that anyone will overtake Arndt on the depth chart (initially) but I don't have a lot of confidence in him as a #2 (or #1 - depending on Reilly's status). Seems like he has thrown a lot of picks.

It would appear that Rourke shows great upside. Michigan's Shea Patterson is showing well but at times is indecisive (as expected for a CFL rookie). I suspect neither is playing against our #1 defense. Footage of today's scrimmage here.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Thanks for all of your excellent reporting B.C.FAN!