2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dave Ritchie also never had to make roster decisions under a salary cap. Positional players approaching 34/35 are increasingly rare if not exceptions to the rule. The majority of that vintage tend to be kickers, long snappers, veteran QBs and the occasional OL or DL. One of the unfortunate downsides of a cap system is those older veterans are far more like to be casualties. It's the same in hockey where very good players who a decade ago could almost assuredly play into their late 30s now are an endangered species at 35. That's only magnified if a league might be trying to trim back salaries. Teams will roll the dice on the younger cheaper player. He might cost you a game but hopefully will quickly get up to his potential and exceed the safer vet whose best days are well in the rear view mirror.

Right now Reilly at 35 is the only Lion over 32. Currently he is the only Lion 30 and over with a 2021 contract. It's similar in Calgary where Rene Parades is the only Stamp over 32. They have 8 players listed as 30 and up only 4 of whom are over 30. Of those 8 only BLM and Nat RB Langlois, both 30, have contracts. Yet in Edmonton they have 24 players 30 and up on their roster. Riders have 16, Bombers 15 and Argos12. The vast majority of those thirtysomethings do not yet have contracts for 2021.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Dave Ritchie also never had to make roster decisions under a salary cap. Positional players approaching 34/35 are increasingly rare if not exceptions to the rule. The majority of that vintage tend to be kickers, long snappers, veteran QBs and the occasional OL or DL. One of the unfortunate downsides of a cap system is those older veterans are far more like to be casualties. It's the same in hockey where very good players who a decade ago could almost assuredly play into their late 30s now are an endangered species at 35. That's only magnified if a league might be trying to trim back salaries. Teams will roll the dice on the younger cheaper player. He might cost you a game but hopefully will quickly get up to his potential and exceed the safer vet whose best days are well in the rear view mirror.

Right now Reilly at 35 is the only Lion over 32. Currently he is the only Lion 30 and over with a 2021 contract. It's similar in Calgary where Rene Parades is the only Stamp over 32. They have 8 players listed as 30 and up. Yet in Edmonton they have 24 players 30 and up on their roster. The Argos have 12.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have extended starting fullback David Mackie and backup DB Hakeem Johnson, who were both slated to become free agents next month. That leaves 33 players on the potential free agent list, including WR Shaq Johnson (Hakeem's brother).

LIONS RE-SIGN NATIONALS DAVID MACKIE AND HAKEEM JOHNSON
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Finally some action in Surrey. Now to take care of Burnham and perhaps more importantly address the DL.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

And another wish list item would be finding out the scoop on Jevon Cottoy. He opted out but I believe the Lions still retain his rights.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:18 pm
And another wish list item would be finding out the scoop on Jevon Cottoy. He opted out but I believe the Lions still retain his rights.
Cottoy had a tryout with the Houston Texans last month. Under the terms of the opt-out provisions negotiated between the CFL and the players' association, he has until Jan. 31 to elect to return to the Lions under his original contract if he doesn't land an NFL futures contract before then.
Murdoch
All Star

Better save some room for Greg Ellingson. Has the required Edm / Ott history.

Walker signing will set a bench mark for receivers. Would be curious to know the number. One year deal again.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 am
Better save some room for Greg Ellingson. Has the required Edm / Ott history.

Walker signing will set a bench mark for receivers. Would be curious to know the number. One year deal again.
I think highly of Ellingson but think he, or somebody like him, only becomes a priority if they can't retain Burnham. After Burnham the DL is by far the greatest need and it's not just one specific position. It could be argued that the DL is a higher priority than Burnham.

All 4 DL positions are positions of high need. I liked what Hervey did in 2020 free agency to address those needs and was excited to see the results. As of right now that work has gone for naught as all of those signings are pending FAs. I stand to be corrected but I believe that all of the DL the Lions currently have under contract for 2021 have a combined 0 games of CFL experience.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I so hate to agree with such a notion, Hambone, (i.e. that it might be argued that the D-line takes priority over Burnham!) since if we lost Mr. Burnham I think I might dress in the proverbial sack-cloth and ashes and weep for a full season... but what you point to is indeed the case it seems; i.e. Micah Johnson. Claudell Louis, Jonathan Newsome and Chris Casher are the four names within that position group that mean anything to me, and none of those guys are in the fold. That is a little alarming. I'm on bended knee, hoping Burnham very soon is in the fold despite that significant need on defence.
Islander
prospect

I agree with our urgency when it comes to the D-Line. I was really hoping that the 1 year contracts that were signed for Casher, Brown, Junior Tavai, and of course Micah Johnson would be addressed. I suppose they still will be, but it seems somehow unlikely that all of them will be retained. Given Reilly's return and contact re-structuring, I would be surprised if Burnham doesn't re-sign with the Lios. I hope the two sides can come to an agreement.
Murdoch
All Star

I could see Calgary going after Micah Johnson in what would be a seamless fit. Might have to hire the mother in law as a receptionist.

For Edmonton, the potential downfall of signing Derel Walker could mean less money for Almondo Sewell or Mike Moore. Sewell likely won't be any less expensive than Johnson. They have a couple of young Nationals as well so someone will lose out.

Any interest in home town boy Jonathon Kongbo?

I can also see Bryan Burnham fielding offers as there are likely interested parties although it would be a bold move by the Lions to let him go. That said, it is a business.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:06 pm
I so hate to agree with such a notion, Hambone, (i.e. that it might be argued that the D-line takes priority over Burnham!) since if we lost Mr. Burnham I think I might dress in the proverbial sack-cloth and ashes and weep for a full season... but what you point to is indeed the case it seems; i.e. Micah Johnson. Claudell Louis, Jonathan Newsome and Chris Casher are the four names within that position group that mean anything to me, and none of those guys are in the fold. That is a little alarming. I'm on bended knee, hoping Burnham very soon is in the fold despite that significant need on defence.
And don't get me wrong. Absolutely Burnham is a #1 priority especially given his status along with Reilly as the top 2 "face of the franchise" players. My main point is that DL is the single biggest position group of need and that it must be addressed before whistfully thinking about any other receivers who may or may not become free agents. Given Durant's contract plus whatever it will take to secure Burnham I don't think there will be the sort of money left in the receiving group's budget to go after Ellingson who should still command Durant type money.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Islander wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:02 pm
I agree with our urgency when it comes to the D-Line. I was really hoping that the 1 year contracts that were signed for Casher, Brown, Junior Tavai, and of course Micah Johnson would be addressed. I suppose they still will be, but it seems somehow unlikely that all of them will be retained. Given Reilly's return and contact re-structuring, I would be surprised if Burnham doesn't re-sign with the Lios. I hope the two sides can come to an agreement.
Islander -- nice reminder, I'd forgotten we ever signed former RedBlack J.R. Tavai and former Alouette Ryan Brown... seems a lifetime ago. However, in the meantime, Brown opted out back in spring-time and is no longer on the roster, so who knows if he's even interested in being in the mix anymore. Dunno if he's had any success in latching on somewhere Stateside. Yeah, I don't even want to think about Burnham playing for the opposition! It's not just the potential loss of a sterling talent, but the loss of a sterling character guy to boot.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Derel Walker's new contract in Edmonton sets a benchmark for free-agent receivers in 2021. According to John Hodge of 3downnation.com, Walker will make $180,000, which is $100,000 less than he made as the league's highest-paid receiver in 2019 in Toronto. The contract does not include a signing bonus, an indication that the community-owned team is reluctant to put money up front with little fresh revenue to pay for it.
Per sources, his new deal in Edmonton will see the 29-year-old earn $180,000 in 2021. The contract is structured to include a $98,000 base salary, a $12,000 housing bonus, and a $70,000 roster bonus that will be paid when he takes his first snap in the regular season.
Derel Walker takes $100,000 pay reduction on new contract with Edmonton
Murdoch
All Star

Per sources, his new deal in Edmonton will see the 29-year-old earn $180,000 in 2021. The contract is structured to include a $98,000 base salary, a $12,000 housing bonus, and a $70,000 roster bonus that will be paid when he takes his first snap in the regular season.

That helps explain why Greg Ellingson is looking for a new place to play. Bryan Burnham might not be too impressed either. Wonder if they are thinking about playoff money pushing him over $200.