2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Murdoch wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:12 am
In one of the more intriguing developing scenarios I am guessing BC, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Montreal are the teams interested in Micah Johnson or Almondo Sewell. Not sure about Ottawa.

I think Calgary gets one of them.

Ottawa adding Davon Coleman to go along with Cleyon Laing is a solid punch. They are set at DT.

Always liked Coleman as a solid DT - wonder why the Argos let him and go and why he has bounced around to 4 CFL teams now ?

Him & Laing should be a solid 1-2 at DT for Ottawa (local guy and vet E. Lattanzio still un-signed there - solid depth/swing guy, but maybe they are giving up on him for some recent DT draft picks ?) Ottawa finally get an NI DT who they think will have a good, long impact (2nd tour of duty there for Laing - he played on that GC 2016 win D-line); Desjardins has been burned by 3 US college ball DTs he has drafted - M. Abdesmad (in the NFL a bit, then ???); Ottawa HS product Eli Ankou (UCLA) who is still in the NFL (Cowboys now?) and last draft pick Mike Hoecht (Rams PR last season and re-signed there).

Laing and Pruneau likely the only 2 Canadian starters on D for Desjardins & LaPo ? 4 or 5 NI O-linemen + Sinopoli on O ?
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:55 pm
According to 3DN the Lions finally did the expected and released Grymes. It's also listed in CFL transactions so it must be true. TJ Lee loses his bestie.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/02/05/lions-rel ... on-grymes/
Also as expected, Grymes will likely be returning to Edmonton, according to Farhan Lalji.
Edmonton has signed Grymes to a 1 year contract as reported by 3DownNation.
David
Team Captain

Not sure if we were ever in the running for Almondo Sewell, but he won't be signing in B.C. :dizzy:

Process of elimination and it would appear that the "team in the Eastern division" would be the Als but I am not 100% sure.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Any word on Micah Johnson?

Nothing from the Lions about releasing him early and they hold the right to match which might be worth it in this situation. Having the trump card might even limit the bidding.
Dusty
Champion

Murdoch wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:51 am

Nothing from the Lions about releasing him early and they hold the right to match which might be worth it in this situation. Having the trump card might even limit the bidding.
Certainly been quiet from the Lions regarding Micah Johnson. But Tuesday isn't far off. I expect that there has been a "sounding out" from a number of teams about what he wants to see in a contract, even if there have not been any offers coming. I would be surprised to see him signed prior to free agency.

If he does hit free agency, would he go back to Calgary?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:53 pm
Murdoch wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:51 am

Certainly been quiet from the Lions regarding Micah Johnson. But Tuesday isn't far off. I expect that there has been a "sounding out" from a number of teams about what he wants to see in a contract, even if there have not been any offers coming. I would be surprised to see him signed prior to free agency.

Johnson has been openly musing about his future on Twitter. He says he expects to become a free agent again next week and that it "would be fun" to go back to Saskatchewan.

Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:33 pm
Herdman who was first unit MAC all through training camp started the season there on through the first 6 or 7 games although the ratio would have allowed an easy switch to an American LB and still been a NAT starter above minimum. Claybrooks kept on throwing Herdman and the other 8 out there. That doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't respect Canadian talent nor Herdman.

I don't know what it is but there has to be something lacking in his game that two coaching staffs have identified and he's been unable to clean up. There has to be something there that causes the staff to continue to look to upgrade even after several games in a row starting in the position. There's more to playing MLB than just flying to the ball carrier. I watch the game as a fan, not a coach, which is to say I tend to follow the ball more than anything else. My own uneducated gut feel is that he might do well reacting to the ball he may be struggling to make good pre-snap reads and call defenses, typically both a big part of the MLB's responsibilities. Perhaps he is lacking in pass coverage skills when the play calls for him to drop into coverage? I don't know what it is but I believe there's a lot more reason to him not being able to hold onto the starting job when given the chance than birth certificate.
Bear in mind Herdman Reed was only 23 at the time he was thrown in as an injury replacement. They are only 26 now. There is still upside.
Murdoch
All Star

Dusty wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Not intended as a conspiracy theory but even if BC does match it does not mean Johnson has to accept their offer.

Door will still be open to a basic contract with perks and the CFL would do well to clean up their image in respect to contract shenanigans imo.

A bit surprised to hear Sask mentioned. Winnipeg in need at DT makes me think they will be bidding. Calgary is likely least dependent on relying on Johnson although it would be a seamless fit.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So 48 hours to go until free agency kicks in and where are we compared to March of a year ago or so?

Not sure exactly how secondary will line up but Sayles replaces Grimes from at least a salary cap respective.

I see two other potential defensive starters not re-signed in Johnson and Brown. Are both out of reach depending on what “Covid cap” the Lions/league are comfortable with?

Not one veteran RB White/Rutley/Rainey signed yet.

Has every team shed themselves of at least a couple of potential starters to save $$?
Maybe the Lions are basically done with signing another $150,000 range player which I’m sure is at least what Johnson is looking for.

Not too excited with what their DL looks like on paper right now but as Guilio alluded to on 1040 last week the Lions are overdue in recruiting impact entry level Americans. You can’t build your entire team on free agency

Great read by JC Abbott on where the Lions sit: https://3downnation.com/2021/02/07/lion ... eady-done/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:03 am
Not sure exactly how secondary will line up but Sayles replaces Grimes from at least a salary cap respective.

I see two other potential defensive starters not re-signed in Johnson and Brown. Are both out of reach depending on what “Covid cap” the Lions/league are comfortable with?

Not one veteran RB White/Rutley/Rainey signed yet.

Has every team shed themselves of at least a couple of potential starters to save $$?
Maybe the Lions are basically done with signing another $150,000 range player which I’m sure is at least what Johnson is looking for.

Not too excited with what their DL looks like on paper right now but as Guilio alluded to on 1040 last week the Lions are overdue in recruiting impact entry level Americans. You can’t build your entire team on free agency

Great read by JC Abbott on where the Lions sit: https://3downnation.com/2021/02/07/lion ... eady-done/
Probably pretty safe to assume with Grymes no longer in the equation Sayles and Lee will man the two DHB spots. Peters will be on one corner. Ladler or Cioffi will play SAM. From there it gets down to how the remaining starting WIL, CB and S positions get distributed between whomever of Ladler or Cioffi doesn't play SAM along with Gamboa, Lokombo, Guzlyk-Messam. Things could go any number of ways and we might not know until that first TC depth chart comes out. The flexibility exists to allow a number of different possibilities.

It is possible that they go NAT TB-by-committee with Moore, Lyles, Porcnic and Johnson if they don't get the likes of White or Rutley back. They could go with an American rookie as well. I'm personally not sold on the necessity to rely on one stud type back. If you have one great but that can be a double edged sort if you lose him to injury. Most of the NFL and CFL for that matter tend to operate on RB-by-committee.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:03 am
I agree with Abbott on all points, including his take on the running back situation.
Finally, the Lions have re-signed exactly who they needed to at running back — their Canadians and nobody else.

John White IV and Brandon Rutley are capable runners who can still produce, but paying American running backs is generally unwise, especially when they are over 30 and you are trying to cut costs.

The “running backs don’t matter” trend sounds mean, but its a simple reality that ball carriers are dependent on their surroundings and can be purchased for a dime a dozen at your local corner store. A rookie or two will provide the same value for less money than the established vets.

Better yet, why not try a Canadian in the backfield? Local kid Jamel Lyles looked promising in 2019 and the Lions still have veteran Wayne Moore and CJFL rushing champ Andrew Pocrnic under contract. Add in the absolute physical freak that is 2020 seventh-round pick Kayden Johnson and you have some intriguing options.
I'd still prefer to see John White re-signed as the starter but the Lions have the talent and depth to try an all-Canadian backfield if necessary, with Moore and Lyles in the primary rotation. Moore is a powerful and shifty runner who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Lyles showed his speed and shiftiness by picking up 36 and 23 yards in his first two CFL carries in garbage time against Ottawa in 2019. Whether he can do that consistently against better opposition remains to be seen but he's worth developing, and he can also take regular reps as a kick returner.
Murdoch
All Star

I am a Jamaal Lyles fan.

That said, a big part of the RB position is picking up an extra rusher and helping out the QB. It would be an admirable goal to reduce the sacks against count by 10 or so from 2019 and see that turn into positive yardage.

C J Gable has been recognized for his blocking ability and ran for 1000 yds in 2019. He is younger than Andrew Harris and might take a similar deal to William Powell in Sask. He has also played with Mike Reilly before.

Could come down to which of the veterans has stayed in shape.
OV - 54:40
Champion

RedBlacks just cut John Crockett, who Campbell used a lot last season = wonder if he would bring him to BC ?

Ultra doubtful they go with a Canadian as the main tailback, though a platoon of guys they have might work well.

The 2010 Lions had Jerome Messam, Jamall Lee and some guy named Andrew Harris at RB on the roster.
Last edited by OV - 54:40 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gable is an interesting name I hadn't considered to replace White. He is younger than Harris but only by 6 months. Harris 34 in a couple months, Gable in Oct. He has struggled with injuries most of his career, not the serious variety like White but usually taking him out for a few games every years. He does have some famiarity with Reilly playing last 4 games of 2017 and all of 2018 in Edmonton. White however was in Edmonton with Reilly for 5 seasons albeit missed all of the 3rd season due to injury. I'd much rather stick with White who is 3-1/2 years younger but Gable might not be a bad Plan B for 1 season.

If they do have to find a replacement for White I'd rather see them go younger than older, even if it means rolling the dice on a rookie. That has served the Lions well over the years as the likes of Key, White, Volpe, Mallett and Smith all arrived as rookies and made an immediate impact.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:44 pm
That has served the Lions well over the years as the likes of Key, White, Volpe, Mallett and Smith all arrived as rookies and made an immediate impact.
I recall Larry Key's impressive debut in 1978 against Winnipeg. He rushed for 184 yards and 3 rushing touchdowns!

And yes, I would very much be interested in signing Crockett. He was injured for much of the 2019 season but had a pretty impressive 403 yards rushing on 74 carries (5.4 average) before he got hurt. He has pretty good size too, at 6'0" and 217 lbs.

I would be happy with all-Canadian back(bacon) field...as long as they can block! :)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar