2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Murdoch
All Star

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:36 pm
I guess Ottawa was lucky they didn't conclude Sinopoli was "too slow" to play/start at receiver in the CFL. I guess Jerome Messam wasn't "good enough" to play RB in the CFL for some reason or other and that's why he went un-drafted. I guess Rene Parades or Lewis Ward were too little or was hampered by "inferior training" to be a CFL place-kicker and that's why they went un-drafted in the CFL. ???

The good ole CFL scouting clique seems to sometimes want to write-off Canadian prospects who were outstanding in college ball with some pre-determined simpleton, cliche reasoning rather than going by watching the guy actually play football or giving him a real chance in TC. They have been wrong so many times there, with dumb drafting galore.

O'Shea & Walters seem to prefer imports on their defence there, so I doubt Jordan H-R would get a shot to start there; but he might sign for cheap there and make a good back-up/STer if he has little other CFL interest? Quality home-town players on your team can be a good thing IMO - home town/province pride and sense of community & fan identity way even.
I agree with you on placing too much emphasis on combine results. They don't tell the whole story.

I also believe second generation players benefit from the extra coaching they receive through association and familiarity with the players and the game. The Herdman - Reeds are going on four years in the league and have proven their value as 7th round picks. Both have been good.

Loyalty for Kyle Walters and MOS is with the University of Guelph. Most former Gryphon players by far. Local talent slowly coming along after 7 years. We'll see what Geoff Gray does this year
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:15 am
Loyalty for Kyle Walters and MOS is with the University of Guelph. Most former Gryphon players by far. Local talent slowly coming along after 7 years. We'll see what Geoff Gray does this year
They currently have 2 players from Guelph on the roster, same goes for Acadia and U of Sask............and 5 from Manitoba including 2 starters; Demski and Gray.

I'd assume Gray will do what he was doing back in 2019 before going down to injury. He was the Bombers starting RG for the first 12 games of the season then spent the rest of the season on the IR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am
They currently have 2 players from Guelph on the roster, same goes for Acadia and U of Sask............and 5 from Manitoba including 2 starters; Demski and Gray.
2 of the U of M guys are training camp fodder with no hope. Gray the only one of the other 3 drafted by the Bombers. You would think sharing the same facility would lead to the Bombers helping recruit through the U of M but it doesn't appear to be so.

Andrew Harris is a Manitoban that did not attend U of M.

With the one year contracts it seems there is less emphasis on developing players in lieu of short term experience. Speaking of which there are a lot of 33 and up age players coming back again for 2021. Might be handy to have a young speedster for return duty.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have bolstered their linebacking depth by re-signing veteran Adam Konar. I'm a bit surprised because I would have thought that Jordan Herdman-Reed had more value and upside as a special teamer and backup linebacker. I suspect Herdman-Reed may hit the open market in search of more opportunity to play.

In light of the recent discussion on this board about linebacker speed, I looked up both players' 40 times from the CFL combine. I didn't think either of them looked fast on the field in 2019. I was surprised to find that Konar ran a solid 4.76 at 217 lbs. in 2015. Herdman-Reed ran a 5.16 at 228 lbs. in 2017.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/02/03/lion ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:05 pm
The Lions have bolstered their linebacking depth by re-signing veteran Adam Konar. I'm a bit surprised because I would have thought that Jordan Herdman-Reed had more value and upside as a special teamer and backup linebacker. Herdman-Reed may hit the open market in search of more opportunity to play.

Right on both parts. Not sure if I'm surprised Konar was signed but I wouldn't have been surprised if he wasn't. What he does bring is ability to pinch-hit as an in-game injury replacement for all 3 LB positions. More importantly I think are his ST contributions and leadership to that unit. He's like a poor man's Jason Aragki on STs. Not as fast and talented in making the plays but just as good on the leadership role for the unit. IMO it is not a coincidence that the different role he played in BC vs Edmonton led him to being healthy enough to play more than 12 games for the first time in his career. In BC he played mostly STs versus Edmonton where he started most of the games he was healthy enough to suit up for (23 out of 36) in his final 2 years an an Esk. After making the Esk roster coming out of his rookie training camp he would play only 34 out of 72 gams in the next 4 years. I think the main reason Edmonton cut him just before 2019 training camp is they couldn't rely on him to stay healthy enough to live up to the contract he had. They tried to get him to renegotiate but he refused. If he stays in the same role here as he had in 2019 we should be able to rely on him. If he starts getting a bunch of reps on defense he'll likely wind up on the IR sooner than later.

OV will have a semi-woody over this one and is just waiting for Herdman to sign to have the full flag pole. :shock: :wink:
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:05 pm
The Lions have bolstered their linebacking depth by re-signing veteran Adam Konar. I'm a bit surprised because I would have thought that Jordan Herdman-Reed had more value and upside as a special teamer and backup linebacker. Herdman-Reed may hit the open market in search of more opportunity to play.

Right on both parts. Not sure if I'm surprised Konar was signed but I wouldn't have been surprised if he wasn't. What he does bring is ability to pinch-hit as an in-game injury replacement for all 3 LB positions. More importantly I think are his ST contributions and leadership to that unit. He's like a poor man's Jason Aragki on STs. Not as fast and talented in making the plays but just as good on the leadership role for the unit. IMO it is not a coincidence that the different role he played in BC vs Edmonton led him to being healthy enough to play more than 12 games for the first time in his career. In BC he played mostly STs versus Edmonton where he started most of the games he was healthy enough to suit up for (23 out of 36) in his final 2 years an an Esk. After making the Esk roster coming out of his rookie training camp he would play only 34 out of 72 gams in the next 4 years. I think the main reason Edmonton cut him just before 2019 training camp is they couldn't rely on him to stay healthy enough to live up to the contract he had. They tried to get him to renegotiate but he refused. If he stays in the same role here as he had in 2019 we should be able to rely on him. If he starts getting a bunch of reps on defense he'll likely wind up on the IR sooner than later.

OV will have a semi-woody over this one and is just waiting for Herdman to sign to have the full flag pole. :shock: :wink:
WOW ! - has it gotten so that out of hand (so to speak :dizzy: ) ?

Imagine - the nerve to have respect for Canadian talent in the Canadian Football League :bang:

I'll try to tone it down a bit if you promise not to be such a Claybrooks, Campbell, etc, same-old CFL fan-boy ? :popcorn:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:32 pm
WOW ! - has it gotten so that out of hand (so to speak :dizzy: ) ?

Imagine - the nerve to have respect for Canadian talent in the Canadian Football League :bang:

I'll try to tone it down a bit if you promise not to be such a Claybrooks, Campbell, etc, same-old CFL fan-boy ? :popcorn:
Just giving ya the gears. Don't take it personal. I do totally respect your respect and passion for Canadian talent. You pay far more attention to that than anybody I know and good on ya for that. It probably helps that you have easy access to go watch CIS games.

As for Claybrooks he was the guy who started the 2019 season with 10 NAT starters, including the oft mentioned Herdman at MAC. He continued to stubbornly start at least 9 NATs for the first half dozen games loss after loss after loss. Herdman who was first unit MAC all through training camp started the season there on through the first 6 or 7 games although the ratio would have allowed an easy switch to an American LB and still been a NAT starter above minimum. Claybrooks kept on throwing Herdman and the other 8 out there. That doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't respect Canadian talent nor Herdman.

I don't know what it is but there has to be something lacking in his game that two coaching staffs have identified and he's been unable to clean up. There has to be something there that causes the staff to continue to look to upgrade even after several games in a row starting in the position. There's more to playing MLB than just flying to the ball carrier. I watch the game as a fan, not a coach, which is to say I tend to follow the ball more than anything else. My own uneducated gut feel is that he might do well reacting to the ball he may be struggling to make good pre-snap reads and call defenses, typically both a big part of the MLB's responsibilities. Perhaps he is lacking in pass coverage skills when the play calls for him to drop into coverage? I don't know what it is but I believe there's a lot more reason to him not being able to hold onto the starting job when given the chance than birth certificate.
Murdoch
All Star

I am the one who was the Claybrooks supporter and still say he would have been a better coach with Sol E and Brandon Dozier from day one. 10 Nationals was likely not his idea.

I saw a guy who worked hard to get better and thought he deserved more than one year. Mike O Shea was 12 - 24 when he was renewed for a 3 year term. Kyle Walters 14 - 34 same deal.

Real story of the day was the turmoil in the Lion office and both Ed Hervey and Claybrooks were hired by one and not supported by the other. Best for now is to move forward and so far so good.
Champion

Maybe Campbell can hire back Nice Hat Claybrooks as his DC . :hypno:

In Campbell's GC win season with Ottawa, in the play-offs they were starting/playing something like 11 or 12 Canadians, and not just the 7 only that him and Desjardins quickly deferred back to. As in last season with a number of mediocre new import players starting over & over again as losses piled up.

I can only go by what I see on the field too - and Herdman has impressed me with his nose for ball as a MLB - just as his outstanding college ball resume indicated. Not that an all-star or record setting college ball resume means you are going to be good in the pros though. Him being written off in the draft by a clique of CFL deep thinker scouts cause of his 40 time was hardly surprising. Herdman might never start on D again in the CFL, but he might still play somewhere - we shall see.
Murdoch
All Star

Seeing the big smile on Danny Maciocia makes me think he is keeping a secret named Almondo.

Edmonton would still have the right to match and swing a trade but highly unlikely.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:21 am
Seeing the big smile on Danny Maciocia makes me think he is keeping a secret named Almondo.

Edmonton would still have the right to match and swing a trade but highly unlikely.
Sewell lives year around in Edmonton. He's married to an Edmonton girl and wants to join the Edmonton police force when he's done playing. I don't know if they have kids. He definitely wants to continue his career out west if at all possible meaning Maciocia would have to up the ante over any offers from the likes of BC, Calgary or Saskatchewan to the point the offer becomes too good to turn down.

I'd think given the proximity of Vancouver, Calgary or Regina to his Edmonton home coupled with 2 visits each to Commonwealth plus the 3 bye weeks any of those places would be much more attractive than being in Montreal, as far away as he can get from Edmonton. Assuming his wife is going to stay in their Edmonton residence it would also be much easier, and cheaper for her to regularly visit a western location to see him or watch him play.

From what I understand of the offer Edmonton made it's over there. The reality is they have solidified the interior of their DL with Jake Ceresna returning from the NFL to join Sewell's 2019 DT sidekick Mike Moore. The offer Edmonton gave him was effectively an offer one would make for a player expected to fill the role of rotational backup which clearly is what EFC perceives he would play there. There's no reason to think he won't be getting multiple offers of starter money on the open market.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 pm
Murdoch wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:21 am

Sewell lives year around in Edmonton. He's married to an Edmonton girl and wants to join the Edmonton police force when he's done playing. I don't know if they have kids. He definitely wants to continue his career out west if at all possible meaning Maciocia would have to up the ante over any offers from the likes of BC, Calgary or Saskatchewan to the point the offer becomes too good to turn down.

I'd think given the proximity of Vancouver, Calgary or Regina to his Edmonton home coupled with 2 visits each to Commonwealth plus the 3 bye weeks any of those places would be much more attractive than being in Montreal, as far away as he can get from Edmonton. Assuming his wife is going to stay in their Edmonton residence it would also be much easier, and cheaper for her to regularly visit a western location to see him or watch him play.

From what I understand of the offer Edmonton made it's over there. The reality is they have solidified the interior of their DL with Jake Ceresna returning from the NFL to join Sewell's 2019 DT sidekick Mike Moore. The offer Edmonton gave him was effectively an offer one would make for a player expected to fill the role of rotational backup which clearly is what EFC perceives he would play there. There's no reason to think he won't be getting multiple offers of starter money on the open market.
Unless Sewell is all of a sudden washed-up or injury damaged, he is a wayyyyyy better (hands down / no contest) DT than Ceresna and especially Moore (average at best / way over-rated) but those are 2 guys formerly with Ottawa so maybe Sunderland guys ?

This is likely more about $M$ savings and/ or thinking an older player might be on the downslide, IMO. We shall see how he (and Charleston Hughes for that matter) play for new teams and how their former D-lines fare without them.
Murdoch
All Star

In one of the more intriguing developing scenarios I am guessing BC, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Montreal are the teams interested in Micah Johnson or Almondo Sewell. Not sure about Ottawa.

I think Calgary gets one of them.

Ottawa adding Davon Coleman to go along with Cleyon Laing is a solid punch. They are set at DT.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

According to 3DN the Lions finally did the expected and released Grymes. It's also listed in CFL transactions so it must be true. TJ Lee loses his bestie.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/02/05/lions-rel ... on-grymes/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:55 pm
According to 3DN the Lions finally did the expected and released Grymes. It's also listed in CFL transactions so it must be true. TJ Lee loses his bestie.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/02/05/lions-rel ... on-grymes/
Also as expected, Grymes will likely be returning to Edmonton, according to Farhan Lalji.