2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Esks part-ways with A. Sewell - Lions might be able to use him ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 am
Bombers letting Micah Awe go makes me think they will target Sol E. It would be a very good move imo.
Not sure where SolE would fit there.....coming off the bench maybe? They do still have that Bighill guy to play MAC. Also they've already extended their 2019 starting WIL Kyrie Wilson as well as Mercy Maston who took over at SAM late in the season when Gaitor went down. Their 2019 Grey Cup starting LB crew is still in place.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Champion

I wondered if the Bummers might have interest in hometown guy Herdman-Reed (worked well with bringing in Harris & Demski) and give him a shot to play MLB and move Bighill to Will OLB (he is better suited there and faded at MLB as the season went on last year IMO); but since they re-signed Wilson, i think they are set at those 2 LB spots. Still H-Reed could provide depth there, and maybe become a future starter at MLB as he is not exactly old.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:40 pm

How does the back 8 shape up?

Be huge to get Castillo, IMO.
I don't know what the final alignment would be but they've either extended or redone the deals of Lee, Peters, Ladler, and Guzylak-Messam. They've also given very promising Victor Gamboa a new deal. Rumours are they've been trying to redo Aaron Grymes deal. No indication that has happened. I would have thought if that wasn't done by now he'd be released, but he's still with the club. To those 6 names add Sayles, Cioffi and Lokombo and of course 2020 1st overall pick Jordan Williams. That's 10 competent names under contract to battle over 8 positions. Depth DBs such as Hakeem Johnson, Derek Jones and Jamie Harry are under contract. Gamboa my fit more into the depth category. Depth LBs such as Adrian Clarke, Dyshawn Davis, Noah Robinson have been extended too. As such I think the personnel needed to fill the starting back 8 is in place meaning they don't need to continue shopping other than for some depth who will primarily play special teams.

Spitballing here. Last year's alignment had Peters and Grymes as field CB and DB with Lee at boundary DB. With all the added talent I don't think that necessarily means those guys stay in place. Sayles was an all-star at DB. He could wind up at one of the corner spots or could play DB with somebody like Lee or Grymes moving to field corner. I still see Ladler and Cioffi battling over SAM. Whoever doesn't prevail could drop into the safety role. I kind of like the idea of Ladler at safety. Lokombo I think will have a good shot at taking the WIL spot. Overall though there is a lot of flexibiltiy that comes with the level of experience the likes of Lee, Peters, Grymes, Ladler, Sayles, Lokombo and Cioffi bring. All have been asked to play multiple positions to this point in their careers. Many DBs usually end up playing every position in the secondary at one time or another. Also the very nature of how a secondary must work together as a unit lends itself to everybody knowing not just their own responsibilities but that of the others in the unit. Thus while I have no way of knowing how the final 5 + nickel will wind up I'm confident that they have the players who can do the job once the coaching staff settles on a final alignment.
Qman
Champion

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 am
I wondered if the Bummers might have interest in hometown guy Herdman-Reed (worked well with bringing in Harris & Demski) and give him a shot to play MLB and move Bighill to Will OLB (he is better suited there and faded at MLB as the season went on last year IMO); but since they re-signed Wilson, i think they are set at those 2 LB spots. Still H-Reed could provide depth there, and maybe become a future starter at MLB as he is not exactly old.
he's way too slow to start in the CFL ... he basically a special teams player now ... looks like lions have lost interest
David
Team Captain

Here are the remaining Leo Free Agents, according to CFL.ca

BAILEY, Devon
BARNETT, Mitchell
BOESEN, Mat
BROWN, Ryan
DOLL, Tanner
FRANCIS, Kevin
HAYNES, Kevin
HERDMAN , Jordan
HOLLEY, Caleb
JOHNSON, Micah
KONAR , Adam
KRAEMER, Grant
LOUIS, Claudell
LYN, Keondrick
NEWSOME, Jonathan
RAINEY, Chris
RUTLEY, Brandon
WALKER , Cameron
WHITE, John

Micah Johnson (or Sewell if he wants to come west and Dave Campbell of 630 CHED in Edmonton saying he wants to play in the West) should be a priority. John White had a very productive 2019 and is an experienced back. Jordan Herdman and Kevin Haynes should be brought in to settle MLB. We still need a KR so I would try to get Chris Rainey signed. Brandon Rutley was a good complementary back and a decent kick returner, so it may be worth bringing him back, unless the club has other plans.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:50 am
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:40 pm

How does the back 8 shape up?

Be huge to get Castillo, IMO.
I don't know what the final alignment would be but they've either extended or redone the deals of Lee, Peters, Ladler, and Guzylak-Messam. They've also given very promising Victor Gamboa a new deal. Rumours are they've been trying to redo Aaron Grymes deal. No indication that has happened. I would have thought if that wasn't done by now he'd be released, but he's still with the club. To those 6 names add Sayles, Cioffi and Lokombo and of course 2020 1st overall pick Jordan Williams. That's 10 competent names under contract to battle over 8 positions. Depth DBs such as Hakeem Johnson, Derek Jones and Jamie Harry are under contract. Gamboa my fit more into the depth category. Depth LBs such as Adrian Clarke, Dyshawn Davis, Noah Robinson have been extended too. As such I think the personnel needed to fill the starting back 8 is in place meaning they don't need to continue shopping other than for some depth who will primarily play special teams.

Spitballing here. Last year's alignment had Peters and Grymes as field CB and DB with Lee at boundary DB. With all the added talent I don't think that necessarily means those guys stay in place. Sayles was an all-star at DB. He could wind up at one of the corner spots or could play DB with somebody like Lee or Grymes moving to field corner. I still see Ladler and Cioffi battling over SAM. Whoever doesn't prevail could drop into the safety role. I kind of like the idea of Ladler at safety. Lokombo I think will have a good shot at taking the WIL spot. Overall though there is a lot of flexibiltiy that comes with the level of experience the likes of Lee, Peters, Grymes, Ladler, Sayles, Lokombo and Cioffi bring. All have been asked to play multiple positions to this point in their careers. Many DBs usually end up playing every position in the secondary at one time or another. Also the very nature of how a secondary must work together as a unit lends itself to everybody knowing not just their own responsibilities but that of the others in the unit. Thus while I have no way of knowing how the final 5 + nickel will wind up I'm confident that they have the players who can do the job once the coaching staff settles on a final alignment.
Grymes is done as a lion. Sayles plays the same position. A could see effectively all-import secondary with new ratio rules.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:53 am
Not sure where SolE would fit there.....coming off the bench maybe?
It would be a dream pairing with Bighill and Elimimian and I suspect they would have no trouble playing together.

Andrew Harris might like it and it also hurts the other teams by not having him. That said, who knows what happens?
Champion

Qman wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:52 am
he's way too slow to start in the CFL ... he basically a special teams player now ... looks like lions have lost interest
Nonsense; MLB is not a position judged by 40 time; it's about tackling/hitting ability, nose for the ball, toughness and play diagnosis & making (run stops, pass D, blitzing).

Did you think Andrew Harris was "too slow" or not "good enough" to play RB in the CFL when he was first with the Lions ?
Murdoch
All Star

The Herdman's were considered too slow during their combine testing and the Bombers passed them by. Bombers never second guess themselves. It was a big disappointment in Winnipeg as many remember James Reed as a very good middle linebacker from his Bomber days. Both Herdman-Reeds have played well and may not be done yet. Highly doubt they will get a chance in Winnipeg.

Tom Miles and Jesse Briggs play similar roles.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions appear poised to start two nationals on defence, either at MAC and WILL or safety and WILL. Jordan Williams, Bo Lokombo and Isaiah Guzylak-Messam are the leading contenders for those starting spots.

MAC is a position where the Lions have the least experience and depth. They had the same problem in 2019. Whichever way they go with the ratio, they need to sign at least one depth player with CFL experience as an inside linebacker.
Champion

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:18 pm
The Herdman's were considered too slow during their combine testing and the Bombers passed them by. Bombers never second guess themselves. It was a big disappointment in Winnipeg as many remember James Reed as a very good middle linebacker from his Bomber days. Both Herdman-Reeds have played well and may not be done yet. Highly doubt they will get a chance in Winnipeg.

Tom Miles and Jesse Briggs play similar roles.
I guess Ottawa was lucky they didn't conclude Sinopoli was "too slow" to play/start at receiver in the CFL. I guess Jerome Messam wasn't "good enough" to play RB in the CFL for some reason or other and that's why he went un-drafted. I guess Rene Parades or Lewis Ward were too little or was hampered by "inferior training" to be a CFL place-kicker and that's why they went un-drafted in the CFL. ???

The good ole CFL scouting clique seems to sometimes want to write-off Canadian prospects who were outstanding in college ball with some pre-determined simpleton, cliche reasoning rather than going by watching the guy actually play football or giving him a real chance in TC. They have been wrong so many times there, with dumb drafting galore.

O'Shea & Walters seem to prefer imports on their defence there, so I doubt Jordan H-R would get a shot to start there; but he might sign for cheap there and make a good back-up/STer if he has little other CFL interest? Quality home-town players on your team can be a good thing IMO - home town/province pride and sense of community & fan identity way even.
Last edited by OV - 54:40 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Biggie did battle injuries early in the season playing the first 2 then missing 3 games. I don't recall what the problem was but it may have lingered the remainder of the season. His numbers were indeed down from typical Bighill levels but nonetheless he "faded" with 22 of his 61 regular season and 1 of his 4 sacks coming in the final 3 games 2 of which were against Calgary.

I don't have the mancrush you do on Herdman and put his return to BC at 50/50 at best. If he does return I think it will be to circle back after testing free agency to see if he can find a situation that offers a better shot at starting than he might find in BC. Can't blame him for that at all. He's at a bit of a career crossroads where he owes it to himself to find out if there might be greener grass elsewhere. Speaking of greener maybe Saskatchewan is a landing place. They still haven't signed either one of Elimimian or Judge the latter seeming to be looking for NFL gigs. Maybe Herdman and his bro want to see if they can find a place that will take them both.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 pm
The Lions appear poised to start two nationals on defence, either at MAC and WILL or safety and WILL. Jordan Williams, Bo Lokombo and Isaiah Guzylak-Messam are the leading contenders for those starting spots.

MAC is a position where the Lions have the least experience and depth. They had the same problem in 2019. Whichever way they go with the ratio, they need to sign at least one depth player with CFL experience as an inside linebacker.
That may have been why they brought back Dyshawn Davis who is also an outstanding special teams player. That was exactly Davis' role with the Riders last year. He had 3 starts to start last year at WIL while Elimimian was out and Judge shifted to MAC. When SolE returned Judge shifted back to WIL and Davis suited up the rest of the season as DI and was listed as Elimimian's backup on the depth chart. As for STs in 2018 Davis led BC and was tied for 4th in the league with 22 ST tackles.
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Lokombo & Williams at W-OLB and MLB - and able to switch back and forth there - might be a way (and with one of Herdman or Konar quite capable as well, for depth even); but if Cioffi or Ladler are strictly W-OLB (not sure if either would play SAM - basically an extra DB) types, it's not going to be 2 NIs at those spots ? IF both those guys can play SAM - are they going to be able to keep both ?

But Lokombo did play quite well as a CFL safety last season for the Als (IMO); so he could line-up there?