2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:09 pm
Montreal looking good at receiver with BJ Cunningham signing to go along with Eugene Lewis, Naaman Roosevelt and Jake Weineke. Not sure how they plan to work the ratio. Henoc Muamba helps.
In 2019 they typically had 3 OL plus Muamba at MLB. Safety was a starting spot with Loffler but he only played 6 games with Lokombo (10) and Cranston (2) starting in his absence. Ackie started 7 games at LB after joining them early in the season. When he went down after Game 13 for 4 games Foote drew in to replace him as a starter. Ackie came back for 3 starts and Foote went back to a backup role. A combination of FB Moore (8), WRs Faubert-Lussier (4), Julien-Grant (1), Malcolm Carter (3) and RB Christophe Normand (1) combined for another starter. Overall it was a patchwork quilt for them to get to 7 starters.

It's looking like they might be a patchwork effort again. Since 2019 they did reacquire former Montreal starting OL Philippe Gagnon but lost Trey Rutherford to retirement so looks like they will again be 3 OL starters. They also have added former Lions Junior Luke and David Menard to should be in decent shape to have a starting NAT spot on the DL. However they have yet to re-sign either Loffler or Lokombo.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm
Murdoch wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:09 pm
Montreal looking good at receiver with BJ Cunningham signing to go along with Eugene Lewis, Naaman Roosevelt and Jake Weineke. Not sure how they plan to work the ratio. Henoc Muamba helps.
In 2019 they typically had 3 OL plus Muamba at MLB. Safety was a starting spot with Loffler but he only played 6 games with Lokombo (10) and Cranston (2) starting in his absence. Ackie started 7 games at LB after joining them early in the season. When he went down after Game 13 for 4 games Foote drew in to replace him as a starter. Ackie came back for 3 starts and Foote went back to a backup role. A combination of FB Moore (8), WRs Faubert-Lussier (4), Julien-Grant (1), Malcolm Carter (3) and RB Christophe Normand (1) combined for another starter. Overall it was a patchwork quilt for them to get to 7 starters.

It's looking like they might be a patchwork effort again. Since 2019 they did reacquire former Montreal starting OL Philippe Gagnon but lost Trey Rutherford to retirement so looks like they will again be 3 OL starters. They also have added former Lions Junior Luke and David Menard to should be in decent shape to have a starting NAT spot on the DL. However they have yet to re-sign either Loffler or Lokombo.
The Als might have lots of options for NI starters, IF they can re-sign Muamba & Loffler (Lokombo was signed by the Argos last year, but has yet re-signed there, so i guess the Als could sign him again).

The loss of starter OG Rutherford could hurt but they do have replacements in the wings in vet Gagnon plus a couple of former draft picks (Laval hogs factory all-star Sam Thomassin & US college ball product Wilkinson) And they still have former supplemental draft pick Tyler Johnstone (former award winning / top rated US college ball OT) on the roster (but yet re-signed) and though he has had CFL injury problems, he remains a potential OT starter IMO.

Faubert-Lussier was re-signed and he started a lot of last season at wide-side WR (he's more of a big body slot type)- but he was almost never targeted and a waste of space IMO; listing Moore as a "starter" at fullback is basically meaningless since they rarely deployed an H-back; they do have former draft pick K. Julien-Grant (big, fast target with good U Sport production) as a receiver prospect and why he was not tried more last year over Lussier is baffling to me. They also have import Quan Bray who played last season to go with the above mentioned import receivers and they might think of going all import in the 5 pack.

Defence is where they could deploy a bunch of NIs - vets Junior Luke & Menard come home for their D-line and Maciocia would know them well; and they have former draft picks J-S Blanc (ST ace) and Bo Banner to play DE; and they drafted a couple of D-Lineman last draft - U Sport all-star DT Cam Lawson and B. Marion from Maciocia's Carabins = they could easily think of starting 2 Canadians in the D-line rotation. Top draft pick M-A Dequoy is a real interesting DB prospect IMO - big, blazing fast, U Sport all_Canadian D-half who got an NFL look and could probably line-up anywhere in a CFL D-backfield - be interesting to see if he gets a real shot to play right away. SO - Muamba, Loffler + one or two D-linemen + maybe Dequoy could see 4 or 5 NI starters on D.

Be interesting to see if the Als - with Maciocia as GM and more than half the coaching staff Canadian - go with standard CFL 7 only NIs need apply thinking. Also be telling there if former Laval star QB Hugo Richard (big arm and can can run) can make their QB depth chart, after being on the PR last season - the back-up options behind Adams are limited to some new import QB signings and that other import QB they have (Schiltz?) who played a bit for the Als and looked lost/useless.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David Knevel is in the den. Very good news IMO. https://3downnation.com/2021/01/28/b-c- ... id-knevel/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I like it. I think all the guy needs is a chance to play. He's looked good at a variety of positions when he gets some reps. Physically he looks imposing yet athletic for such a big dude.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Garry Peters has redone his contract too.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 pm
I like it. I think all the guy needs is a chance to play. He's looked good at a variety of positions when he gets some reps. Physically he looks imposing yet athletic for such a big dude.
Same. I will be observing Knevel (most likely from afar) this preseason to see what kind of progress he has made. I am with you; I just think he needs a chance and reps. I believe he has the tools.

Not to be overlooked in all of this is Kelly Bates. I believe the fact we've been able to retain as many key pieces along the O-line as we have speaks to the culture that he is developing. It seems as though his guys enjoy playing for him. The fact so many worked out locally last off-season speaks to what we're building here and suggests a camaraderie has been established.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Knevel is an OT by trade - tall (mark of almost all pro OTs these days) & massive and that was his experience in Div I ball, no?

Doubt he is going to get to start at OT for the Lions if it is an import only position; maybe he can make the transition to be a good CFL OG, but he has lots of competition there; could be valued as a back-up OT they have confidence in, plus could back-up on the interior too, if he can't win a starter job there ?

Matthews & Figueroa at OT; Godber, Chungh & Steward in the interior + Knevel as a versatile depth guy = sounds like the makings of the best O-line in the CFL, IMO.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:33 pm
Knevel is an OT by trade - tall (mark of almost all pro OTs these days) & massive and that was his experience in Div I ball, no?

Doubt he is going to get to start at OT for the Lions if it is an import only position; maybe he can make the transition to be a good CFL OG, but he has lots of competition there; could be valued as a back-up OT they have confidence in, plus could back-up on the interior too, if he can't win a starter job there ?

Matthews & Figueroa at OT; Godber, Chungh & Steward in the interior + Knevel as a versatile depth guy = sounds like the makings of the best O-line in the CFL, IMO.
And that leaves Brett Boyko as a high profile sixth or seventh OL. It looks like he re-signed in November. I hope his salary aligns with his expected role.
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:59 pm

And that leaves Brett Boyko as a high profile sixth or seventh OL. It looks like he re-signed in November. I hope his salary aligns with his expected role.
Yeah - forgot about Boyko - another (potential) very good O-line prospect; nice to have lots of talent / depth there !

So - Chungh, Steward, Godber + Knevel & Boyko (Pierson & draft pick Guevremont too?) = a lot of NI O-line talent to compete; only see the RedBlacks (with 6 former CFL 1st rounder O-linemen + 3 other NI O-line draft pick prospects on the roster) as another CFL team with so much NI O-line talent for TC ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have also signed national receivers and Cordell Hastings (6 ft. 3, 195 lb. 2020 fifth round draft pick from Acadia) and Jacob Scarfone (6 ft. 1, 205-lb. 6th round 2017 Hamilton draft pick from Guelph who played two seasons as a backup for Rick Campbell in Ottawa). There's still no word on Jevon Cottoy opting back into his contract.
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm
The Lions have also signed national receivers and Cordell Hastings (6 ft. 3, 195 lb. 2020 fifth round draft pick from Acadia) and Jacob Scarfone (6 ft. 1, 205-lb. 6th round 2017 Hamilton draft pick from Guelph who played two seasons as a backup for Rick Campbell in Ottawa). There's still no word on Jevon Cottoy opting back into his contract.
Hastings is an interesting receiver prospect - big frame and supposed to have good speed (CFL Combine cancelled before he could test last draft) and good production in AUS ball.

Scarfone was not targeted much in a bit of CFL action for Ottawa; good potential still maybe.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:

He's more than capable of being a versatile depth guy. Versatility has long been a key for CFL players, particularly Nats, to having long careers. The more positions you can contribute to the more valuable you are to your team. Until CFL rosters expand to where teams can dress 5 backup OL somebody who can step into multiple spots in case of mid-game injury will be very valuable.

He was a tackle in college but that really doesn't matter a lot in the pros. Those who can't adapt to new positions or refuse to often have short careers. Hunter Steward who played tackle in college and for his first couple of years in BC has been able to adapt to guard. Matt O'Donnell who was a tackle by trade in college at 6'10" has proven to be a very good guard. In the 2019 training camp Knevel and Foucault, both college tackles were getting their reps at RG behind Chungh. Foucault, 6'8" like Knevel, is another tackle by trade who turned out to be much better in the guard position. It might not be saying much given how poorly he was a tackle but he did turn into a reliable guard IMO. On those same TC depth charts Boyko, who was a college tackle, was at RT. I think with the Chargers they were working with him at guard.

Once these guys are up in the 6'6" and taller stratosphere does it really matter as far as positions go? Should a 6'8" guy be pigeon-holed into a tackle spot when so many guards are 6'6" and taller anyways? Arm length and wing span is probably a bigger factor than height. Last year's West All-Star guards were 6'7" Shane Bergman and 6'10" Matt O'Donnell while the All-Star tackles were 6'5" Stanley Bryant and 6'3" Derek Dennis.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm
Hambone wrote:

He's more than capable of being a versatile depth guy. Versatility has long been a key for CFL players, particularly Nats, to having long careers. The more positions you can contribute to the more valuable you are to your team. Until CFL rosters expand to where teams can dress 5 backup OL somebody who can step into multiple spots in case of mid-game injury will be very valuable.

He was a tackle in college but that really doesn't matter a lot in the pros. Those who can't adapt to new positions or refuse to often have short careers. Hunter Steward who played tackle in college and for his first couple of years in BC has been able to adapt to guard. Matt O'Donnell who was a tackle by trade in college at 6'10" has proven to be a very good guard. In the 2019 training camp Knevel and Foucault, both college tackles were getting their reps at RG behind Chungh. Foucault, 6'8" like Knevel, is another tackle by trade who turned out to be much better in the guard position. It might not be saying much given how poorly he was a tackle but he did turn into a reliable guard IMO. On those same TC depth charts Boyko, who was a college tackle, was at RT. I think with the Chargers they were working with him at guard.

Once these guys are up in the 6'6" and taller stratosphere does it really matter as far as positions go? Should a 6'8" guy be pigeon-holed into a tackle spot when so many guards are 6'6" and taller anyways? Arm length and wing span is probably a bigger factor than height. Last year's West All-Star guards were 6'7" Shane Bergman and 6'10" Matt O'Donnell while the All-Star tackles were 6'5" Stanley Bryant and 6'3" Derek Dennis.
Yeah - so many top notch NI, college ball, tall OTs get converted to OG (or even C sometimes - see Sorenson) for the CFL and a lot of them do pan out quite well there; gotta make do and adapt if you are written off at your accomplished college ball position cause imports are greatly perferred at OT by standard CFL thinking.

Interesting that Ottawa ended up starting Mark Korte (listed at 6-2, 295) at OT most or all of last season; looking forward to see what vet O-line coach Bob Wylie does with all that NI O-line talent they have on the roster ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:47 pm
So - Chungh, Steward, Godber + Knevel & Boyko (Pierson & draft pick Guevremont too?) = a lot of NI O-line talent to compete; only see the RedBlacks (with 6 former CFL 1st rounder O-linemen + 3 other NI O-line draft pick prospects on the roster) as another CFL team with so much NI O-line talent for TC ?
At 28 going on 29 Boyko is a bit beyond being considered a prospect. He already has 5 years of pro football under his belt and still hasn't been able to establish himself. He really needs to take a step forward this year or we're talking journeyman backup out of a guy who was the undisputed top ranked prospect in his draft class. He only fell to the #2 spot in the final rankings when Christian Covington declared himself eligible for the NFL Draft thus making himself eligible for the CFL Draft.

Peirson I think is a depth guy for one specific position, center. "Little Angus" as his team mates call him was a center in college and in his two years in BC. He seems to built for the position almost a physical doppleganger to Reid. That's not a bad thing though. Center is arguably the most important OL position, one that seems to take the right cat with the right smarts to play it. While Steward called the OL signals when Peirson was pressed into service at center in his rookie season after Cody Husband was lost for the season Steward struggled in the position when the Lions started him there for a couple games early in 2019.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:38 pm
Yeah - so many top notch NI, college ball, tall OTs get converted to OG (or even C sometimes - see Sorenson) for the CFL and a lot of them do pan out quite well there; gotta make do and adapt if you are written off at your accomplished college ball position cause imports are greatly perferred at OT by standard CFL thinking.

Interesting that Ottawa ended up starting Mark Korte (listed at 6-2, 295) at OT most or all of last season; looking forward to see what vet O-line coach Bob Wylie does with all that NI O-line talent they have on the roster ?
Sorenson's another good example I forgot about. Sorenson played RT at South Carolina but never seemed to get the hang of it in the CFL. Another example I just though of when reflecting on Peirson is 6'7" Cody Husband. I believe he started out at tackle with Hamilton then played some guard but don't think he settled into anything. He came to BC in 2014 played 12 games in the first 2 years including 8 starts at guard in 2015. In 2016 they shifted him to center and he found himself a home. He was rock solid at center and would probably still be BC's starting center heading to this TC if not for that career ending leg fracture in 2018.