Free Agent Predictions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I don't know who this guy is, but here are his predictions. What do you think?

.@kcostabile1 free agency predictions:

CJ Gable: #Redblacks
Matt Nichols: #Redblacks
Nick Arbuckle: #Argos
#Bombers: Zach Collaros
#Riders Shaq Evans to free agency

@DTonSC :

Cleyon Laing to #Esks.
Derel Walker & Sean McEwen to #BCLions
Willie Jefferson to #MontreALS

I doubt Walker comes here. Lions don't have the cap space to sign him. I don't know who McEwen is. Never heard of him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I believe McEwen is an offensive lineman
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pm
I don't know who this guy is, but here are his predictions. What do you think?

.@kcostabile1 free agency predictions:

CJ Gable: #Redblacks
Matt Nichols: #Redblacks
Nick Arbuckle: #Argos
#Bombers: Zach Collaros
#Riders Shaq Evans to free agency

@DTonSC :

Cleyon Laing to #Esks.
Derel Walker & Sean McEwen to #BCLions
Willie Jefferson to #MontreALS

I doubt Walker comes here. Lions don't have the cap space to sign him. I don't know who McEwen is. Never heard of him.
Kristina Costabile is an editor and staff writer for CFL.ca. Derek Taylor is a Regina radio host and PBP broadcaster for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He used to work for TSN. They made their predictions on Taylor's radio show, The Sports Cage. I love Taylor's detailed CFL stats and analysis but in this case their free-agency predictions are probably no better than yours or mine. Taylor himself described their predictions as "wild-eyed speculation."

That said, I'd love to see Derek Walker and Sean McEwen in a B.C. uniform. McEwen might be too expensive but he would solve the revolving door at centre and allow the Lions to start a veteran Canadian at one of the most important positions on the line.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:

I get the interest in McEwen but Burnham is making $200,000 and Durant was just extended for $192,000 in 2020 and $200,000 in 2021. Not sure what Shaq Johnson was extended for but definitely north of $100,000.

Any type of money thrown at Walker would be salary cap suicide. Can the Lions not find an entry level receiver at one of their US camps to compliment this group?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Along the same lines, Nik Kowalski, managing editor for Last Word On Sports (CFL), has predicted the destinations for 15 potential free agents. He didn't include Derel Walker or Sean McEwen on his list. He predicted Winnipeg O-lineman Michael Couture, who is from SFU, would land with the Lions, along with Saskatchewan defensive tackle Micah Johnson. His predictions probably mean nothing but Johnson at least would fill an obvious need on the B.C. defensive line. I doubt the Lions could come close to matching the $250,000 he made in Saskatchewan last year, especially since he is 32 and his sack total fell from 14 to 4 after jumping from the Stamps to the Riders.

Predicting New Destinations for 15 CFL Free Agents
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm
McEwen might be too expensive but he would solve the revolving door at centre and allow the Lions to start a veteran Canadian at one of the most important positions on the line.
Speaking of Canadians at centre -- Peter Godber sees himself in any of the three inside o-line positions but personally favours centre. Nice article from a couple days ago. https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/16/pete ... -on-track/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

BTW, I wasn't suggesting he's a free agent. He's obviously on our roster already. I wish him best of luck, as he's been unlucky.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Speaking of Canadians at centre -- Peter Godber sees himself in any of the three inside o-line positions but personally favours centre. Nice article from a couple days ago. https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/16/pete ... -on-track/
I see Godber as a utility lineman who would be best as a backup to the three inside positions. I'd be leery of thrusting him into the starting lineup at centre with little experience after missing a full season due to injury. Any two of Sukh Chungh, David Foucault and Hunter Steward could start at guard. At least one of the three will likely be gone. Joel Figueroa, who qualifies as a national starter under the new CBA, is a lock at left tackle. Justin Renfrow has the inside track at right tackle. That leaves Brett Boyko, David Knevel, Phillip Norman, Antonio Johnson, Jean-Simon Roy and Andrew Peirson as past starters fighting for maybe one roster spot. Foucault, Steward, Renfrow, Johnson and Roy are all pending free agents.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:24 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

I get the interest in McEwen but Burnham is making $200,000 and Durant was just extended for $192,000 in 2020 and $200,000 in 2021. Not sure what Shaq Johnson was extended for but definitely north of $100,000.

Any type of money thrown at Walker would be salary cap suicide. Can the Lions not find an entry level receiver at one of their US camps to compliment this group?
Agreed re: Walker. Nice to dream but with Burnham and Durant already signed for healthy salaries and Shaq Johnson extended BC needs to rely on Cottoy's continued development and an inexpensive option for the other outside WR spot. The defensive side of the ball has to be the focus for any FA money. If they need to spend money on the offensive side it should be wisely rationed to an offensive lineman.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the Micah Johnson rumour is true, he will be an update at what we had last season even at the age of 32
Murdoch
All Star

Does Mike Reilly stay healthy? If not, what then is what I wonder.

Seeing Jon Jennings was released today but don't think he was Ed's guy. Campbell would have an opinion.

For my money I beg Travis Lulay to come back and suit up as a number two. There is no one better suited for the position from playing the game to being an ambassador type for the Lions imho. I for one would love to see it.

Either way they need somone who can step up if MR gets hurt.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The writers at cfl.ca have released their ranking of the top 30 free agents. Winnipeg DE Willie Jefferson is No.1, followed by Winnipeg QBs Matt Nichols and Zach Collaros, Hamilton DL Ja'Gared Davis and Toronto WR Derel Walker. I would have put Nichols and Collaros ahead of Jefferson but they are clearly the three biggest prizes if they all hit the market. None of the Lions' pending FAs made the top 30 which, if accurate, suggests Ed Hervey can re-sign the players he wants without breaking the bank.

CFL.CA’S TOP 30 PENDING FREE AGENTS
David
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 am
Does Mike Reilly stay healthy? If not, what then is what I wonder.

Seeing Jon Jennings was released today but don't think he was Ed's guy. Campbell would have an opinion.

For my money I beg Travis Lulay to come back and suit up as a number two. There is no one better suited for the position from playing the game to being an ambassador type for the Lions imho. I for one would love to see it.

Either way they need somone who can step up if MR gets hurt.
This is a tough one, Murdoch. I don't think we have the money to go after a "1B" quarterback so if Reilly gets hurt then we just have to bite the bullet (there's no way Lulay is coming back, IMHO).

I may be in the minority here but I still think Brandon Bridge can be a legit back-up CFL quarterback. He has all the tools as we saw late last season. He can move an offence and throw TD passes but has to do a better job of reading defences and decision-making.

Maybe a good QB coach (like O'Brien?) and working with Reilly can get him to the next level, in which case we have a value asset on our hands. I can't wait to see if Grant Kraemer can play in this league. I believe they brought Ricky Lloyd back too, which was a bit of a surprise.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The way I look at it for the Lions, Reilly has two more expensive contract years left, so it means two years to find and develop the next starting QB.

It also means going with young less experienced and less expensive players in other positions due to SMS constraints. And in two years time, hopefully some of the younger players will be better and more experienced but then will command more $$ but by then hopefully sanity will return to the GM and he won't again go overboard, paying too much for a QB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wish Jonathon Jennings well but I'm afraid his career may be done. He will be remembered as a strong-armed quarterback with a tendency to throw into coverage in 2015 and 2016. Unfortunately, his arm gave out when he was flattened by Davon Coleman in Week 4 in 2017. It hasn't come back. Ever since then, he has been ineffective on passes of more than 10 yards. League statistics for the past two seasons paint a consistent picture.

A total of 14 quarterbacks threw for more than 1,000 yards last year. Jennings was 14th at 1,154 yards. Some key Jennings stats among those 14 QBs:

- 13th in completion percentage (65%) and interception ratio (3 TDs and 7 INTs), ahead of only his Ottawa teammate Dominique Davis in both categories
- 13th in average pass depth (8.8 yards)
- 13th in completion percentage on passes of 10-19 yards (47.8%)
- 11th in completion percentage on passes of 20 yards or more (32%)

Marshall Ferguson of TSN charted every pass Jennings threw in the past two seasons and tweeted this telling stat Thursday:
Jennings has attempted ZERO passes between the hashes 25+ yards in air over the last two seasons.
https://twitter.com/TSN_Marsh/status/12 ... 17568?s=20