Who Will Be the BC Lions Offensive Coordinator in 2020?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be Lions OC in 2020?

Jarious Jackson
No votes
Joe Paopao
5%
Ryan Dinwiddie
40%
Stephen McAdoo
10%
Other
45%

Total votes: 20
JohnnyMusso
Champion

As a Lions fan, I am a little worried as to who they will choose as their new OC. Their first choice Maas went to the Riders. Their 2nd choice Ryan D might go to the Argos and now they are looking at their 3rd, 4th and 5th choices. Hiring Edmonton's QB coach does not excite me - another Edmonton connection. And they were looking at some US coach who last coached in the CFL 10 years ago. We saw how that worked out with Tedford. Seems they may end up with another average OC. I prefer if they hired an experienced OC then a first timer, but choices seem to be limited now. And what is wrong with bringing back Jacques C? With an experienced QB he may do a very good job here.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 am
The Lions may have to resort to Plan C as offensive coordinator. Farhan says one option could be Edmonton QB coach Jordan Maksymic.
Oh , oh ... could this be another can of worms ?
pennw
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 pm
And what is wrong with bringing back Jacques C? With an experienced QB he may do a very good job here.
I think he'll get about the same welcome here as anyone who has ever worked or played for the Esks . But on Chap , I myself would have no problem with him coming back.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If we have to go with unknown quantity, perhaps someone like Burris could be enticed to be OC. Probably not but he might be a name worth mentioning but if we get down to that level of challenge, I think that Lulay might be the best option. What is Ricky Ray doing these days? These are all QB's and I'm not sure what qualities they have in the coaching dept but they know the game well and they are all recent enough that we aren't talking about someone who last saw CFL time prior to the jet engine. I suppose there is always Geroy as well. I'm not really suggesting a preference for any of these names but at least there are some possible options if we are relegated to plan c, d and e.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:35 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 pm
And what is wrong with bringing back Jacques C? With an experienced QB he may do a very good job here.
I think he'll get about the same welcome here as anyone who has ever worked or played for the Esks . But on Chap , I myself would have no problem with him coming back.
Jacques had a hard enough time here when the team was doing better than this. As I recall, people were screaming about the lack of creativity and when he finally did start showing some flair, it was almost at gunpoint. I think it would probably be a case of subtraction by addition to look at him as an option but if there truly were no one else, then, I guess so.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:

The Lions may have to resort to Plan C as offensive coordinator. Farhan says one option could be Edmonton QB coach Jordan Maksymic.
And here I thought that Maas was calling the plays on the sidelines. He sure was animated so I figured he was doing the calling. I did not know that the Esks had a different OC.

I'm still encouraged by the concept of a varied offensive playbook. Whether this "new" name or Dinwoodie..... so long as they are interested in calling plays that are based on the talent on the field, I'm content.
Re-read B.C. Fan's comment. Maksymic was the Esks QB COACH, so he wasn't calling plays last season and would be a rookie OC with the Lions, just like anyone else that the Lions are likely to hire.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Unless they rehire Jackson or hire Paopao or Jacques C who are experienced OC's.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:34 am
Dusty wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:

And here I thought that Maas was calling the plays on the sidelines. He sure was animated so I figured he was doing the calling. I did not know that the Esks had a different OC.

I'm still encouraged by the concept of a varied offensive playbook. Whether this "new" name or Dinwoodie..... so long as they are interested in calling plays that are based on the talent on the field, I'm content.
Re-read B.C. Fan's comment. Maksymic was the Esks QB COACH, so he wasn't calling plays last season and would be a rookie OC with the Lions, just like anyone else that the Lions are likely to hire.
Clearly Maas did the play calling but the Esk website seems to indicate Maksymic was more than simply a QBC. They list him as OC/QBC although the verbage behind it used the term "passing game coordinator". That to me indicates much more involvement in offensive scheme and game planning than if he was just the QB coach. Maas likely relied heavily on his input from the booth when calling plays from the sidelines. OC-Lite?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:12 am
If we have to go with unknown quantity, perhaps someone like Burris could be enticed t
I don't think Burris is much interested in coaching right now. I dug up some info and posted it on either Esksfans or RF a few weeks back when his name was brought up in a similar vein. As is known his degree at Temple was related to broadcasting. Upon retirement he was almost immediately scooped up by CTV Ottawa TV and had a steady gig on CTV Ottawa Morning Live. He has been a welcome addition to the TSN panel. He recently gave up the CTV gig because of the long early morning hours that came with it. He wants to spend more time with his kids who are heavily involved in sports and in the latter stages of high school; things he couldn't do as a player at times. He and his wife also have some causes they are heavily involved in out in Ottawa that he wants to dedicate more time to.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone I think is right on Burris although Burris immediately post playing stated he was developing his media career during his playing time so he'd have something when football was done.

Like many other US CFL players he pretty much decided Canada would be his home.

The player I would have thought would have made Canada his home was Milt Stegall as in Wpg he's a king. That means little but I gather he always went back to the US post seasons.

It's hard to guess who they will hire and now that we've seen this GM up close on hiring on a whim we can only hope the HC gets the OC right.

It drives me crazy with BC that the run game back in 2007 when Kruck called the plays as Co-OC with Dorazio that we had the most innovative run packages that worked in the CFL.

OCs who don't believe in any gadget plays or the run game are like hiring a vehicle mechanic without all the tools. Chapedelaine and Jarius Jackson seem similar in that regard. When they run it's always inside the tackles or in JJs case last year, run Carter but in spots and from positions that were too obvious.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

A hard NO on The Chap. We've seen that movie before, twice. You think Jarious is predictable? No matter how complicated The Chap tried to make his offence with terminology and hand signals, everyone (especially the 12 opponents on defence) always seemed to know exactly what he would call in any situation.

I would love to see Lulay as OC one day soon. However, giving him that gig as his first coaching job is probably setting him up to fail.
David
Team Captain

Henry seems like he can be a good, competent football analyst. But he should consider getting throat surgery if he wants to continue in broadcasting. Not sure if he has polyps or vocal cord nodules, but the hoarse voice is very distracting to listen to (personally speaking). In fact, I find it as annoying AF.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am
Henry seems like he can be a good, competent football analyst. But he should consider getting throat surgery if he wants to continue in broadcasting. Not sure if he has polyps or vocal cord nodules, but the hoarse voice is very distracting to listen to (personally speaking). In fact, I find it as annoying AF.

I also find that WHAT Burris has to say mostly annoying. If he is doing a colour broadcast, I just turn off the sound.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:10 am
David wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

I also find that WHAT Burris has to say mostly annoying. If he is doing a colour broadcast, I just turn off the sound.
Can't say as I've noticed that but I don't pay much attention to what any of the broadcast analysts have to say. For me I want the sounds of the broadcast crewbut in an ambient noise kind of way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Won't be Tommy Condell as he signed a contract extension with Hamilton.