should the lions partially open the upper deck?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

wondering if people feel the same way as me.

i didn't go to a game this year......... but i would be much more inclined to go to a lions game if i could sit in the upper deck. i probably wouldn't pay for mid-field first few rows but maybe 10 yard line 20 rows up i would.

i went to a washington huskies game recently. sat in first row of upper deck (5 yard line or so) and really loved it.

i do not like sitting in the lower deck.... the game is faster watching from lower deck, but i can't tell what is happening that well

is it just me? i.e. i have unique preferences?? i definitely liked not that packed upper deck (from years ago) to sitting in lower deck more recently ..... would it be cost-prohibitive to open upper deck? how many sections/rows?..........

i'm thinking maybe i just miss the lions bc place vibe from many years ago (like when my ears hurt from the noise and hufnagel/zorn from winnipeg couldn't get the plays off.... 1983ish)

pardon my ignorance if the upper deck was open this year......... thx advance for any feedback :)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I know people who preferred sitting in the upper deck but it’s not going to happen for a regular season game until the Lions prove they can sell out the lower bowl. There’s lots of available seating in all price categories at all levels of the lower bowl.

I prefer to sit close to field level in the end zone to experience the speed and intensity of the game more from the players’ perspective. If I wanted a high-angle overview of the action I could stay home and watch TV.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Unfortunately that is cost prohibitive. Far more so today than it was when they opted to go lower bowl only. I respect that there are a lot of folks who believe those first few rows in the upper bowl are the best seats in the house. Opening up the upper deck, even partially, comes with increased costs for security, concessions, cleanup and conversion when needed. They'd probably need to sell several thousand tickets per game to make it financially viable not only for the club but for PAVCO. Most importantly they would need a significant number of season tickets to be amongst that number so that they weren't relying on walk up or single game sales which can be up and down like a yo-yo.

Around the time they opted to close the upper bowl I happened to strike up a conversation with a lady at the Noble Pig in Kamloops during training camp. She was working in marketing for Rocky Mountaineer but had worked for PAVCO about a year previous. She said it was PAVCO who pushed the Lions to close the upper bowl. When the Lions finally did close the upper deck I happened to be considering relocating my lower bowl ST. Knowing the displaced upper bowl ST holders rightfully deserved priority there wasn't anything that worked for me. In talking to my ticket rep about relocating I asked out of curiosity how many ST holders they had to relocate from the upper deck. Answer was only about 150.

Without knowing the actual details of BC's lease with PAVCO it's hard to guess how having the upper deck, even partially, would work for both parties. I assume that the Lions would get the ticket revenues with PAVCO bearing all of the costs to host a sporadic gathering.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sitting low down in the upper deck where you get a great overview of the entire field and where everyone is lined up, is my fav spot. A good pair of binoculars provides the up close view when wanted.
Last edited by DanoT on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I vote naah
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sell out the lower deck first.

If you really want to "see the game" pick an end zone and sit about halfway up.
Don Miller
Legend

I would say no. We are having problems just filling the lower bowl. The antiseptic atmosphere in the dome does not lend itself to re-opening the upper deck with crowds under 25000. Even with the roof improvements BC place is not the best venue to watch a game. Many of the seats are too far away from the field. The new stadiums in Winnipeg and Regina are the way to go. We should have had a dual Football and Soccer stadium facility. We are now stuck with BCplace.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show