Is Hiring Rick Campbell the Right Choice?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Is Hiring Rick Campbell the Right Choice?

Yes
36%
Yes, but only if they get rid of Jarious Jackson
59%
No
5%

Total votes: 22
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Read a lot of negative feedback on the CFL site. Many don't like this hire calling Campbell overrated and even saying hiring Maas will be bad. Do these people even watch the Lions? Most of us would agree Maas big upgrade over Jarious Jackson.

While I would have preferred Paul Lapolice, I will still vote Yes to this poll, but only if they fire Jarious Jackson. Who else could they have hired, if Lapolice turned them down.
The_Pauser
Legend

I vote yes, as long as they upgrade on Jackson. With the rumours having Jason Maas coming here I'm very excited about our coaching staff. Campbell is a proven winner who had 2 bad seasons in his career: Ottawa's expansion season, and this past year when no coach would have been successful with that Ottawa team.

Jason Maas would also give us an innovative offensive mind who has worked with our QB before and knows his tendencies. I'm liking the direction so far.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

Are we maybe getting ahead of our skis on seeing Maas as our new OC? Is there any evidence that he'd be interested? Seems to me that he has other options to consider than jumping into a downgrade coaching position.

And is he really the offensive genius that he's being characterized as?

Not trying to be argumentative; just asking....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'll give the same answer to that question as I give every time the Lions hire a new HC with the possible exception of Wally.............I'll tell you in October.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm
I'll give the same answer to that question as I give every time the Lions hire a new HC with the possible exception of Wally.............I'll tell you in October.

Quite true as we have no idea what he'll do or what the GM will do with bringing in players that fit the HC and his staff's needs.

I've sort of lost confidence in Ed Hervey as a GM as it's really not clear what he's trying to achieve with this franchise and team.

He's certainly not media friendly nor does he seem to know how to guide and coach his HC nor ensure the HC is on the right track.

South Pender makes a good point. Jason Maas could wait it out a bit here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
serpintine
prospect

I also vote yes for Campbell, with Jackson OUT. Maas in as a OC, to me that’s looking pretty good , if he accepts. I think we will see passion, something we didn’t see in 2019
Hambone
Hall of Famer

serpintine wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am
I also vote yes for Campbell, with Jackson OUT. Maas in as a OC, to me that’s looking pretty good , if he accepts. I think we will see passion, something we didn’t see in 2019
I still believe Maas will be more deliberate. He won't consider an OC job until he's exhausted HC . Sounds like BC has been talking to him and is willing to give him a bit of time to sort out what direction he wants to take in the immediate future. In the meantime according to Farhan they have been talking to Ryan Dinwiddie about the OC job.
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 am
serpintine wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am
I still believe Maas will be more deliberate. He won't consider an OC job until he's exhausted HC . Sounds like BC has been talking to him and is willing to give him a bit of time to sort out what direction he wants to take in the immediate future. In the meantime according to Farhan they have been talking to Ryan Dinwiddie about the OC job.
I wonder if Dinwiddie is being discussed due to Campbell's interest?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm
Are we maybe getting ahead of our skis on seeing Maas as our new OC? Is there any evidence that he'd be interested? Seems to me that he has other options to consider than jumping into a downgrade coaching position.

And is he really the offensive genius that he's being characterized as?

Not trying to be argumentative; just asking....
In 2018 Reilly threw for over 5,000 yards on a team that was not good enough to make the playoffs. So, yeah, I'd say Maas is a decent OC. I can't stand Maas as a HC, but I doubt Campbell is going to put up with his tantrums.
David
Team Captain

I asked on another site thoughts around Campbell from those in Ottawa in the know. Here's what I got:
I would be happy to chime in here, He would have been a great fit here in Ottawa, .....Oh yeah wait a second, B.C. just landed the best head coach IMHO, in the CFL. I cant believe that ownership chose to keep the G.M. over Campbell. It has been spun that it was a mutual agreement. far from the truth, Campbell made it clear if the G.M. was back for the last year of his contract then Campbell would give his notice. and did. This guy has more class than any body else I have ever seen in my time as an avid C.F.L. fan. Ottawas loss and B.C. 's gain. Our GM is going into the last year of his contract, It will be very Interesting who Ownership brings in. Man its going to be a long long pitiful season in 2020 in the Nations Capital. Good luck Rick I know the job you will do In B.C. and thanks your your time in Ottawa

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 am
In 2018 Reilly threw for over 5,000 yards on a team that was not good enough to make the playoffs. So, yeah, I'd say Maas is a decent OC. I can't stand Maas as a HC, but I doubt Campbell is going to put up with his tantrums.
Campbell worked with Maas in Ottawa in 2015 in what was Jason's last assistant coaching job before taking the Edmonton HC position. He would know what he's getting into. The Eskie O was pretty good in 2018 ranked #3 overall. Most Eskimo fans were satisfied with that and definitely point the blame for missing the playoffs squarely on Mike Benevides' defense. They were quite happy that Bene moved on after 2018.
pennw
Legend

IMO Campbell is the best coach available. What he did in Ottawa was quite remarkable , making an expansion team into a contender almost right out of the gate . Consider how long it has been for some other teams between being contenders or champs . Bombers just won the GC after how many years?

Rick Campbell's record is misleading as his last year skewed his overall record . As pointed out in the other thread , he had a pretty good record prior to this past season and having won the GC as well in that time . Last season he was quite hamstrung by matters that were not of his own doing , like letting a number of his best players walk , including his starting QB . He was forced to make do with Jonathon Jennings who was let go from here because he had regressed so bad from his earlier form . Then Jennings proved BC's assessment of him correct by playing every bit as poorly in Ottawa . So Campbell was forced to try various other QBs who were also not CFL caliber . And of course this was reflected in a poor season , as one would expect .

There always seems to be some posters who never take the starting QB into account and just blame the OC instead of a sub-standard QB . Wasn't it Casey Printers who said "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t" ? He was right about that . And Rick Campbell should not have been expected to perform that feat either last year. Especially not with a QB as skittish as JJ has become .

For those clamoring for Paul Lapolice , his track record as a HC is no where near as good as Campbell's . of course I don't believe he had a great situation in Winnipeg either , but still there is nothing other than that to go by. Being a good OC or DC does not necessarily translate into a good HC.

Hervey did well to snap up Rick Campbell before Edmonton did.