Down to 3 or 4 - Who Gets the Lions HC Job

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Down to 3 o 4 - Who Gets Lions Head Coaching Job

Rick Campbell
50%
Paul Lapolice
36%
Jason Maas
7%
Tommy Condell
7%

Total votes: 14
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 am
Tommy Condell has declined head coaching interviews in Edmonton, Ottawa and B.C. so the field is narrowing, especially for offensive-minded coaches.
I guess the paper bag full of cash from The Caretaker was too good to pass up. :wink:

If Wally's The GOAT, Condell's The Goatee.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Probably down to Maas or Campbell. Sure hope Maas does not win it by default.
Don Miller
Legend

I think Campbell gets the job with Maas as OC. I hope Benny comes back as DC
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:48 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 am
Tommy Condell has declined head coaching interviews in Edmonton, Ottawa and B.C. so the field is narrowing, especially for offensive-minded coaches.
I guess the paper bag full of cash from The Caretaker was too good to pass up. :wink:

If Wally's The GOAT, Condell's The Goatee.

DH :cool:
Goatee indeed--turns out he didn't remain the neat clean-shaven epitome of neatness for long as seen in his HAM staff pic (taken early this year when he rejoined the team after a stint with TOR).
https://ticats.ca/coaches/tommy-condell/
Take a look at this transformation:
https://3downnation.com/2019/11/30/tica ... ideration/
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I’ll take the Campbell/Maas combo as a nice Christmas present, please.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm
Do the Esks still have to pay Maas his HC salary in 2020? If so, it seems unlikely that he would agree to work as OC in 2020.
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:28 pm
cromartie wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm
Do the Esks still have to pay Maas his HC salary in 2020? If so, it seems unlikely that he would agree to work as OC in 2020.
Some people find joy in work. Hard to believe when you see Maas throwing Gatorade jugs and headsets, screaming at his coordinator, etc, but I think he might be one of those guys.

He has options for sure. Take a break. Go to XFL, college. I hope he keeps working because the CFL has lost a bunch of good coaches in the past year or so, and it is showing.
don corleone
Starter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm
If David Braley and Rick L want Lapolice I think they will make the final decision than Ed Hervey.
I think your on to something there and that has been going on for some time. Not a good situation for Hervey to be in.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 am
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm
If David Braley and Rick L want Lapolice I think they will make the final decision than Ed Hervey.
I think your on to something there and that has been going on for some time. Not a good situation for Hervey to be in.
If it gets to them dictating who Hervey hires he might as well pack his bags because he is in an unworkable position. From what I know of LeLacheur through someone who has known him for years it would not be his management style to start dictating such personnel decisions. Braley also has generally hired people to do a job and let them do the job. I would expect Braley and LeLacheur's involvement to be minimal. I would expect that Hervey would go through the process and make a recommendation to hire one of the candidates with his reasons why he chose that individual over the others. If he presents a solid business case I would expect Braley and LeLacheur to rubber stamp and approve it. It would be highly unusual and out of character for them to reject the recommendation and force someone else not of Hervey's choosing on Ed unless there is something glaring they know about his choice that he was unaware of. If they are that headstrong about LaPo then they should tell Hervey to not waste his time on anybody else and offer him the job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
Starter

The Suk Chungh signing seemed like it came down from above as a decision to target a fan demographic if it is okay to say such a thing. $250,000 was way too high but I think the Bombers did a good job of driving the price up knowing they likely would not have to pay it. They couldn't have afforded that salary in their lineup. Adequately replaced by Pat Neufeld for whatever he is making ($160,000 ?) Claybrooks and Carter also did not seem like Ed Hervey calls to me. He is more decisive and wouldn't have left it if it wasn't going to be a part of going forward imo. One personality trait of his I am okay with.
Not saying there is a conspiracy here.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I have to be honest, I don't know that XFL coaching jobs are going to offer that much more money than CFL ones at this point, and there certainly isn't a pension plan (unlike the NCAA/NFL).