Which Assistant Coach or Coaches Will Stay Next Season?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which Assistant Coach or Coaches Will Stay Next Season?

None - all will be fired
No votes
Kelly Bates
27%
Jarious Jackson
7%
Bates & Jackson
No votes
Rich Stubler
7%
Ryan Phillips
No votes
Bates & Phillips
60%
Bates, Jackson & Phillips
No votes
All will be Back
No votes

Total votes: 15
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I voted for Bates for he has 1 mor year left and was hired by Hervey. I hope Jackson is fired and not brought back. They need a new OC.

The rest were all hired by Claybrooks and I think will be fired including Stubler.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

As I mentioned in another thread, I hope both Ryan P. and Nik L. are kept in the organization, but that's only what I hope, not what I necessarily expect to happen. I think they would be brutal losses, as they have such potential beyond whatever they've already done, and would surely surface elsewhere and excel. And what you say about Bates makes solid sense, and I would be shocked to see him let go. I agree, that won't likely happen. And quite rightly. So, based on the graph as you've designed it, I'll go with Bates and RP (and keep my fingers crossed for Nik Lewis.)

Which leads to the obvious followup question: Given that several of the guys will be let go, who are some replacement candidates from around the league? Whether OC or DC or position coaches. Say for example, if (and that's an if) Rick Campbell is hired would he most likely bring guys from his Ottawa staff with him (i.e. whoever among them would be contractually available to him)? That approach seems likely, whoever the new head coach might be. But who are some outliers around the league?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bates is the only coach under contract for next season. All other contracts expire so the new head coach will be able to choose from a clean slate. Most coaches like to bring in assistants they've worked with before. I chose Bates and Phillips because I think they were the best of the 2019 assistants. I hope though that if Rick Campbell is the head coach, he doesn't bring back his former Ottawa OL coach Bryan Chiu.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 pm
I hope though that if Rick Campbell is the head coach, he doesn't bring back his former Ottawa OL coach Bryan Chiu.
Maybe he can lure Elizondo back north from Trestman's XFL staff. Or maybe Elizondo is a candidate for HC?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Elizondo bailed on the Redblacks and the CFL at a bad time before the start of the season. They never recovered. I don’t know if there is bad blood between him and Campbell. I’d love to see him as OC of the Lions but first the XFL has to die a quick death.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No way Hervey would allow Bryan Chiu to come back. Hervey has said he will have a hand in hiring the assistant coaches and would veto Campbell's wish to bring on Chiu and I doubt he would come back for Hervey could fire him again. I think it is 100% certain Chiu will not be back.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, Ottawa's short press release was "deliciously salty" (said 3DownN at the time); the club's caption read "Elizondo Quits on REDBLACKS". And in interview Rick Campbell was obviously mighty displeased with the abrupt and critically ill-timed departure, pretty much on the eve of training camp, as I recall just a few weeks away, with coaches preparatory meetings already underway. Not a good look. There was speculation at the time that Elizondo was miffed at not getting the OK for an interview for HC position with the Riders (if I'm not mistaken). All that intrigue does leave me wondering a bit about some of these guys, especially Elizondo. Where's the expected integrity and commitment and forthrightness. I certainly don't know the relationship dynamics so I won't make any one guy among them the problem. But a question-mark hovers over them for me, quite aside from their coaching talents.

Just a random half-related thought (about possible coaching staff hires -- in particular assistant coaches) does anyone know who's well-regarded or even coveted among our Canadian U SPORTS ranks?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Just a random half-related thought (about possible coaching staff hires -- in particular assistant coaches) does anyone know who's well-regarded or even coveted among our Canadian U SPORTS ranks?
Danny Maciocia, currently at UdeM, is rumoured to be in line for HC in Ottawa.
Reggiemac
Rookie

stubler will stay bvsed on the progress the D made after Hervey recognized his mistakes and brought Lemon back and brought in a new DL whose nameescapes me. otherwise Hervey didsnt do a goods job of recruiting for the defense so Stubler did what he could with the rejects from other teams that Hervey brought in. none of the D players on the PR look to be able to challenge the starters. not a good situation, not of Stublers doing he did what he could with the team he was handed.
The_Pauser
Legend

I expect Bates will be back because he's under contract for another year, and the work he did despite being thrown in there as coach midway through the season was quite good. Our O-Line went from completely incompetent to mediocre. I think with some improvements to the talent on the O-Line, as well as an OC that schemes for blocking as well as the rest of the offense, we should have a solid O-Line next season.

He's the only coach I expect will be back.

I think Ryan Phillips did enough to deserve coming back though. Our DB's were a strength on defense and all you have to do is look at a guy like Gary Peters who I felt struggled at the start of the year, finishing as one of our strengths in the secondary. Granted, it was an all Import secondary, I wouldn't be upset at all if we brought all of them back.

I don't know enough about the impact Nik Lewis had on the team to really say.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 am
stubler will stay based on the progress the D made after Hervey recognized his mistakes and brought Lemon back and brought in a new DL whose nameescapes me. otherwise Hervey didsnt do a goods job of recruiting for the defense so Stubler did what he could with the rejects from other teams that Hervey brought in. none of the D players on the PR look to be able to challenge the starters. not a good situation, not of Stublers doing he did what he could with the team he was handed.
I hope not. I didn't like Stubler being hired in the first place. Having been in the CFL as long as he has I don't think there are any surprises about his schemes. It's old and it's tired. A lot of BC's "progress" was helped by the schedule maker and the string of Eastern opponents. 6 of their final 9 games were against the East with 4 being in BC Place.

Newsome might be the name that escapes you. He started the season in Ottawa then was cut after 6 games. He'd joined Ottawa back in 2017 after the Riders cut him early that year. Lemon's numbers also benefitted from the heavy East schedule. As a Lion he played 4 games vs the West putting up 4 tackles and 2 sacks. Both sacks and 2 of the tackles were in his first game back with BC. In 6 games vs East he recorded 15 tackles and 6 sacks.

BC recorded 17 sacks in 8 games vs the East but only 11 in 10 games vs the West.

Points for average vs BC:
SSK - 36.7
WPG - 32.5
EDM - 30.3
CGY - 28.5
HAM - 24.0
MTL - 22.0
TOR - 12.5
OTT - 6.0 Ottawa finished either dead last (sometimes distant last) or close to it in almost every offensive category.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think if history repeats itself with Hervey then the decisions for any staff retention will be the call of the new HC. When he hired Jones in Edmonton Jones replaced the entire staff. None of Kavis Reed's staff was retained. Similarly when Jones left for Regina everybody except for Kez McCorvey left with him. If I recall McCorvey headed to the NCAA instead. It's debatable whether any would have stayed. Rumours were rampant at the time that some were following Jones to Regina so Hervey fired them all. When Claybrooks took over Jackson and Howell were kept while the rest were replaced.

Given that we know Claybrooks had history with pretty much all of the new hires I think it's safe to say it was his decision to retain Jackson and Howell who was playing for Calgary when Claybrooks joined the Stamps' d-line. As such I think if favourites like Bates and Phillips are retained it will be because the new HC has decided to keep them as opposed to bringing in his own guys for those spots.