Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The rumoured candidates are like the back up QB who never plays. Much wanted and sought after by fans - until they aren't winning!

I'm intrigued by the Tommy Condell name - but must admit I know little to knowing of his thinking.

I have little to no faith that Ed Hervey has even the vaguest idea of what an appropriate selection and recruitment process for a HC should be. He landed in the GM's chair in Edmonton without a process and similarly arrived in BC without facing any process or rigour.

From what I hear in his words he's a typical individualist in hiring who bases decisions on the initial chemistry and hires on a 'gut' feel based on hours of football talk and of course their prior success (most of which has never been at a HC level.

The safe picks are former Head Coaches however, we've seen some very good coaching performances this season from assistants.

While we know LaPolice as a great OC, we have less than a stellar performance at HC. Joe Mack as GM was brutal but some decisions as HC weren't great. Has he learned.

We can see Cory Chamblin hasn't learned from the past based on Argos performance this season.

This group of assistants includes Craig Dickenson who if I recall correctly left his ST role with the Stamps as he didn't want to be in town post season and wanted to do stuff back in Montana. This guy never sought a HC and never thought he'd get one - as it sounds from Mike Benevides interview - both of them who worked with Stamps are surprised.

Khari Jones has done a very good job in that turnaround. The jury is out if he can do it next year when you start from TC versus how he lucked into the role where he was able to rally the team and prevent the sinking ship from going under.

Steinhauer in Hamilton was one of the most prepared for his role and I see he hired Jim Barker - former HC and GM - as well as a good team of assistants. That looks good there. Maybe former BC HC DeVone Claybrooks needed such an older guy who bleeds the CFL like Barker does.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1400887
Farhan on with Donnie & the Moj today. Don Taylor referenced Braley's interview last month (before the HC firing) that Braley has mentioned LaPolice several times. Farhan agreed that Lapo is Braley's first choice if he had his way.
David
Team Captain

More interesting from the Farhan interview (simply because Farhan has no inside information yet on the HC likely to be hired) was the likely Assistants for 2020:

Very likely - Kelly Bates (one year left on deal :thup: )
Likely - Ryan Phillips (Ed liked his work, great reputation)
Possible/probable - Jarious Jackson, Markus Howell (if LaPolice is hired, will call his own plays and would likely offer Jarious QB coach, Howell receivers)
Highly Unlikely - Nik Lewis, Drew Tate, Rich Stubler, Taylor Altilio‎ etc.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg GM Kyle Walters confirmed Wednesday that he expects Mike O'Shea to sign an extension. That should officially open the door for LaPolice to interview for an HC position in B.C. or elsewhere if he wants it.
The first order of business could be to re-sign head coach Mike O’Shea, who is coaching in the Grey Cup for the first time in his six years at the helm.

O’Shea’s contract is up and there’s a chance other teams — particularly the Toronto Argonauts — will come seeking his services, but Walters is confident he’ll stay in Winnipeg.

“It doesn’t change anything,” Walters said of the Grey Cup appearance. “I’ve said at various points this year that Mike has no interest in talking about that stuff during the year. I’ve looked Mike in the eye and told him I want him to be the head coach next year and he’s looked me in the eye and told me he wants to be back.

“There’s a whole lot of things that can go on before getting a signed contract for him, but we’re not gonna worry about that. What we talked about is a good start and he and I will sit down, win or lose, and try to get something worked out.”

Walters and O’Shea have been together for six years now, working under the watchful gaze of Bombers president and CEO Wade Miller.

The three have preached patience and continuity, believing that a stable coaching staff and front office and a bunch of returning players would make a recipe for success … eventually.

“What we believe in is continuity,” Walters said. “Wade, after those two rough years, believed in Mike and myself and we laid out our entire plan and said ‘This is the way it’s gonna need to be.’ We had to gut our entire roster, we acquired draft picks, we built slow and drafted and developed our Canadians. We gutted our entire neg list and started to get familiar with what type of player Mike wanted in this organization.

“We’ve been a competitive football team for four years, so it certainly feels good to take the next step, organizationally.”
Bombers GM Walters thrilled with Collaros trade, expects to re-sign coach O’Shea
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nik Lewis is going to be a top coach. He simply was under-utilized by Jarius Jackson who seems to be in the same mold as Jacque Chapdelaine who didn't involve other coaches in the game planning.

I see Nik at practices actually influencing player techniques and skills.

Drew Tate really had no role but then again I recall watching Buck Pierce on the sidelines at Bomber games when he first started and he too seemingly had no role. Now Pierce is constantly engaged with the QB and others.

Sometimes it's that the new coach doesn't know, others it's due to the boss not inviting or listening to others.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

My heart certainly doesn't go all a flutter over the names Campbell, Lapolice and Maas. I'd be taking D) none of the above if those are the options. Only trouble is I don't exactly have somebody to fill in to D). Seasoned coordinators who aren't yet eligible to collect CPP and currently with other CFL clubs would be Noel Thorpe DC in Ottawa, Mark Washington DC and Tommy Condell OC in Hamilton. From outside the CFL Scott Milanovich is toiling as QBC in Jacksonville and Jaime Elizondo is on Marc Trestman's new XFL staff. Would either of them be eager for a return to a CFL HC job?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Regardless of who ends up as the new Lions HC, it will be a mostly new staff, starting over. Thus, I predict another last place finish in 2020.
David
Team Captain

Unless we turn over well over half our roster like we did last year, I am not as pessimistic. Who would have thought the Riders would be so successful under Craig Dickenson when Chris Jones bolted? You just can't predict these things.

While I believe Hervey/Braley will opt for an experienced head man for the position, my dark horse candidate is Mark Washington. He knows the organization but has also seen a successful one operate and I am sure Steinhauer has rubbed off on him too, so that he's not just going to channel his inner Wally. Further, I believe he could be a guy that players rally around yet I perceive him to be more "no nonsense" than Claybrooks. No walking into meetings rooms late.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

Interesting article on Condell here. I like that he looks for input from others and designs the offence around the players, not his "system".
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5369287
VictoriaFan
Starter

I'd be happy with any of those candidates as long as they get rid of Jarious
Don Miller
Legend

Mark Washington a no for me. I would take Campbell then La Police as HC bring back Benny as D coach keep Nik Lewis
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I too do not want Mark Washington back. He is too much for me in the Wally Buono school of coaching and I am sure learned a lot from him and was heavily influenced by him working all those years for him. Also this time around I want the Lions to pick a coach who has had head coaching experience. Lions cannot afford to have another rookie head coach. They need a guy who has been there and done that and learned from his mistakes. My choices would be Campbell or Lapolice. Either I would be happy with. Also I expect if either is hired Lions will have a much better record next year and may beat out Eskimos for 4th. But I think if Hervey is to save his job, Lions must make the playoffs or he will be next to be shown the door.
jwbavalon
Rookie

" But I think if Hervey is to save his job, Lions must make the playoffs or he will be next to be shown the door."

The Lions have to finish at least 3rd in the West for Hervey to keep his job (if I was running the club).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hmm . . .
CALGARY — Hall of Fame quarterback Damon Allen has warmed up his throwing arm and is ready to toss his hat into the ring.

The 56-year-old from San Diego, who retired in 2008 after a starry 23-year career, said he has hired agent Gil Scott to help secure a job in the Canadian Football League as an offensive co-ordinator.

“It’s the position I’m capable of,” Allen said here Friday. “It’s a quarterback-driven league and I have a feel for the defence and the eye of a quarterback. I understand both sides of the ball. I have great passion for the game, great experience.”

With head coaching vacancies in Ottawa and B.C., and changes possible in at least two other cities, there will be opportunities for assistants. Allen said he has been asked many times by fans and friends why he hasn’t already pursued a coaching job.

“It’s always been about being in the right situation. You have to understand all the necessary things that go along with coaching to be able to prepare for it. So I think this time around, I am much more prepared. I understand the position and the opportunity is there. That’s why I’m throwing my hat into the coaching ring.”
Damon Allen seeking offensive co-ordinator post in the CFL
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

"Hmm..." indeed, B.C.FAN.
Interesting to me that he sees himself that way, i.e. as cut out to be part of a coaching staff in this way. He might well be right about his insight and expertise, but I seem to recall he was fairly aloof, and fairly non-communicative, and carrying a fairly big ego. Not sure if he's still the way I seem to remember him, but if so, I wouldn't think those are the best traits to bring into a coaching environment. Fellow coaches on the staff might not find it easy to work alongside him. Just my thoughts, based on old memories... I could be mistaken. In fact I could be dead wrong -- he might be brilliant. I have to wonder though. I'll give him this though -- he says some good things about how to be a creative OC, i.e. building one's system around the particular talents on the roster.