Saskatchewan at B.C. Lions Oct. 18, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 pm
Anybody know what injury Kraemer suffered
The knee and him leaving on the cart suggests (not heard it) that he might have at best tweaked the knee and at worst is going to finish him for a while.

Again not playing 3 QBs when they can is not smart.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Next up at qb...Duron Carter.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Brandon Bridge was warming up in the dying minutes before Burnham’s TD. He’ll get some playing time against Calgary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope Claybrooks realize the folly of dressing only 2 quarterbacks.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

O’Brien was OK in his first start. The game plan and play calling did him no favours. I have no idea why the Lions kept trying to run outside. It didn’t work before and it didn’t work tonight against a Rider defence that pursues well from sideline to sideline.

The defence is frustrating to watch. Fajardo and Naaman Roosevelt played catch against B.C.’s soft zone defence. When the Lions played man, Fajardo picked on ex-Rider Crezdon Butler. And when the Riders wanted to run the ball in the fourth quarter with William Powell, the Lions made it easy by playing a three-man front with David Menard on the nose and Shawn Lemon and Odell Willis outside. With Maleki Harris and Isaiah Guzylak-Messam continually missing tackles, the Riders easily moved the ball and controlled the game until the dying minutes. The Riders ran the ball 24 times. Mat Boesen was the only defensive lineman who was credited with a tackle. You can’t stop the run without strong play from the defensive line or linebackers.

Kevin Haynes and Korey Toomer made plays when they got reps at linebacker. I agree with Farhan Lalji that they should be the Lions’ starting inside linebackers. Harris and Guzylak-Messam have proved that they can’t play.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You mean Danny O'Brien. Agree that Haynes and Toomer were noticeable as linebackers. Haynes showed his speed when he tracked down Fajardo for a sack.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:24 am
You mean Danny O'Brien. Agree that Haynes and Toomer were noticeable as linebackers. Haynes showed his speed when he tracked down Fajardo for a sack.
Yes, O’Brien. Fixed.

I wish we had kept Fajardo.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Yes, O’Brien. Fixed.

I wish we had an offensive coordinator that adjusted their "system" to the strengths of the players instead of trying to adjust the players to their "system".
VictoriaFan
Starter

not a bad game... if it was preseason
Ballistic Bob
Legend

The score flatters the Riders. Lions were playing backups. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
David
Team Captain

The effort was there but way too many missed tackles. How can the coaches justify playing a defensive line that averages 249lbs, basically NFL linebacker sizes? Even the hefty David Menard was getting manhandled by the centre and guard. No wonder teams (the smart ones anyway) want to run at us. Coverage was way too soft too. Credit Fajardo for a quick release but he was basically playing pitch and catch out there. Nothing to disrupt his timing.

Riders challenging and winning that PI was the difference in the game. They would have been punting, but that PI got turned into 7 points. Refs also missed an obvious facemask on Kraemer that we could not challenge because we had to challenge the Burnham TD. Kraemer fumbled on that play, which was scooped up by the Riders deep in our end.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 pm
Well that's it for the Grant Kraemer era in BC.
I would guess BC will be back to dressing 2 QB for the season finale (or do they have someone else on the PR to throw in)?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Yes, O’Brien. Fixed.

Hey, B.C.FAN, you might have seen this already... interesting little article at 3DownN wherein Fajardo reveals the Lions in fact wanted to re-sign him but he wanted to (via free agency) go elsewhere, given he'd be under Reilly here (i.e. minimal playing time and poor prospects for further establishing himself). https://3downnation.com/2019/10/19/the- ... ee-agency/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And therein lies a problem. Everybody understands that you have #1 guy at QB. But the nature of that #1 guy can materially impact your ability to get and keep that #2 guy. Fajardo or any aspiring #1 might look at the BC QB situation and think that the #1 is getting older, may be retiring in the not too distant future and therefore it might be a good path to advancement. Especially if the #1 guys is a mentor and a little generous with some playing time for the #2. Unfortunately, the latter part is not Reilly. He doesn't come off even when he should. He makes it tough on the coach to make that decision as well. You want to keep your #1 happy after all. If you are guy behind him, you can't really have any illusions that you are going to get to play even in garbage time. That makes it tougher to get and keep a quality #2. Right now, the Lions should be in ideal position to get and groom that QB of the future. However, Reilly being the way he is, is going to make that job more difficult and this is where the rubber hits the road for me. Reilly is a team guy from all accounts except in this regard. And maybe this is where push comes to shove in the off season. You want to keep Reilly happy but in no uncertain terms should the QB be dictating whether or not he stays in or goes out. That should be a coaching choice. So should the choice of #2. Consulting and conferring is fine but the final decision should rest with the coach and GM and the QB should be prepared to live with that.

I will come straight out and say I don't know which way the wind blows with all of this but there were many occasions this season where it seemed appropriate to bring Reilly off the field either for the duration or a series or two. Never really happened and that has been a trend throughout his career. Strikingly familiar to Calvillo in Montreal which was a mistake then IMO and I think is a mistake now with Reilly.

I would like to see this change next season. Players are players and management is management. They have have roles and inmates do not get to run the asylum. I have no patience for players who people tiptoe around because they might get sulky if they don't get their way. Again, I'm not saying that I know this to be the case here but there certainly seems to be some subtle suggestions that it might be possible. I'm sure others on this board may have a better sense of the temperature of this team. I'm happy to be set straight.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

^^^This.
The first time Claybrooks said that he "couldn't" pull Reilly out of the game, I knew we had a problem. I doubt Wally would have tiptoed around like that back when he was coaching.