B.C. Lions at Edmonton Oct. 12, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's not too early to set up the biggest game of the season for the Lions, a head-to-head battle with the Eskimos in Edmonton. The Lions can keep their playoff hopes alive with a win and get a measure of revenge on the Esks, who overpowered the B.C. offensive line for 12 sacks and held Mike Reilly to an average of 153 passing yards in winning two earlier meetings, including a demoralizing 33-6 beatdown at B.C. Place in Week 5.

Ed Willes is back on the Lions' beat and sets the scene with DeVone Claybrooks reflecting on the many roster changes the Lions have made as they ride a four-game winning streak into Edmonton after starting 0-5 and 1-10.
Let’s see, the Lions coach said as he took inventory of everything that’s happened to his lineup over the last three months. They’ve got a new left guard (Hunter Steward), a new centre (Philip Norman), a new right guard (David Foucault) and a new right tackle (Justin Renfrow).

On the other side of the ball there’s a new rush end (Shawn Lemon), a new tackle (David Menard), a new middle linebacker (Maleki Harris), a new weak-side backer (Isaiah Guzylak-Messam) and a new field corner (Crezdon Butler). The punter, Josh Bartel, had been there all of one game and there’s a new return man in Ryan Lankford to consider.

Throw in safety Branden Dozier, who’d played three games to that point in the season, and Claybrooks was looking at 12 new starters since the start of the regular season.

“I was watching the game film and I’m saying, ‘Oh man, this guy’s different. That guy’s different,” said the Lions’ head coach. “We’ve definitely evolved our team. It’s a different time for us.”

Yes, a little different than 1-10.

“It took longer than expected,” Claybrooks continued. “I mean, we never thought we’d start that way but we’ve put ourselves in that hole and now we’re trying to dig our way out.”
Ed Willes: Revamped Lions will present a whole different test for the Eskimos

One bit of bad news for the Lions is that Lemar Durant is out of the season after suffering a foot injury against Toronto. With Jevon Cottoy out with a hamstring injury last week, the Lions finished that game with Rashaun Simonise and Benjamin Plu as two of their five receivers. They'll need to make changes to their ratio if Cottoy isn't back this week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The loss of Lemar Durant for the season is huge. He was having a break out year.
Reggiemac
Rookie

I am concerned for Odell Willis. The Esks O line is huge!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reggiemac wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm
I am concerned for Odell Willis. The Esks O line is huge!
However there are some interesting numbers going back to when Edmonton started their current skid of losing 5 of their last 6.

Entering the Week 11 when Winnipeg knocked off Edmonton and BC lost at home to Hamilton:
Sacks allowed: Edmonton 3, BC 36
Sacks made: Edmonton 30, BC 10
Turnover Ratio: Edmonton +1, BC -8

Going into this coming weekend:
Sacks allowed: Edmonton 21, BC 48
Sacks made: Edmonton 46, BC 25
Turnover Ratio: Edmonton -5, BC +0

Difference:
Sacks allowed since Week 11: Edmonton 18, BC 12 (7 of which were in Week 11)
Sacks made since Week 11: Edmonton 16, BC 15
Turnover Ratio: Edmonton -6, BC +8

Going into Week 11 Edmonton was leading the league with 433.0 yards average net offense per game. BC was #9 at 295.8. Since then Edmonton has been averaging 316.0 per game and the average has dropped to 386.2. Conversely BC has been averaging 411.7 over the past 6 games with the average climbing to 342.1.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm
The loss of Lemar Durant for the season is huge. He was having a break out year.
Has me wondering how they'll deploy the receivers this week. Shaq Johnson had moved inside to take Cottoy's spot with Simonese filling his spot outside. Options could be to shift Shaq to Durant's spot. Or they could move Cottoy there if he's good to go. Or......could they move Duron Carter into the Durant's spot and move either Shaq or Simonese or perhaps Lankford into Carter's spot. We also have Augustin and Echols-Luper on the PR. If Cottoy can't go we could be looking at a totally shaken up receiving group. Could be only Burnham is in the same spot as 2 weeks ago.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’d love to see Joey Augustin activated to replace Durant but that would most likely require the Lions to juggle the O-line ratio to start Brett Boyko or a national centre, and I can’t see them messing with the success of that unit.
Don Miller
Legend

WE will need to run the ball effectively to set up the pass. I am sure Edmonton will put lots of heat on Reilly to see if our Oline is up to the task. Some quick screens, they will likely double team Burnham. Cooper in for Gable as their running back. Edmonton is the most penalized team. Hopefully our receivers step up their game with Durant out for the season.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm
I’d love to see Joey Augustin activated to replace Durant but that would most likely require the Lions to juggle the O-line ratio to start Brett Boyko or a national centre, and I can’t see them messing with the success of that unit.
I think I would sooner mess with the D-line than the O-line. Perhaps Menard and Luke at DT with Newsome and Lemon on the ends? Particularly because Gable is a slippery back and could rack up a lot of yards with Willis playing 3-tech. Doubtful, as Ed and DeVone love Odell, but it's a possibility to get an extra import at receiver this week.

Cottoy's hamstring may take a couple of weeks to heal.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gable is out. He went down in the loss on Friday. Cooper will be lugging the pigskin for Edmonton.

I do agree though that they would be more likely to go to positions other than OL if they had to tinker with the ratio.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm
Gable is out. He went down in the loss on Friday. Cooper will be lugging the pigskin for Edmonton.

I do agree though that they would be more likely to go to positions other than OL if they had to tinker with the ratio.
Yup. Just read tonight that Cooper will be starting in place of the nicked up Gable. My bad.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lemar Durant has been moved to the 1-game injured list as expected with the foot injury he sustained when he ran out of bounds awkwardly last week. Jevon Cottoy is back from the 1-game injured list and starts at Durant's inside SB position, where he could be targeted often. Shaq Johnson remains at Cottoy's outside slot position and Rashaun Simonise remains at field WR, backed up by Benjamin Plu, who got on the field late in last week's game when the Lions were content to run the ball and run out the clock.

In a bit of a surprise, Brandon Rutley has been activated and is listed as backup to John White at RB. The two of them don't usually dress in the same game, and the Lions have pulled a surprise in the past by scratching White at the last minute.

On defence, Maleki Harris has been moved to the 1-game injured list. Kevin Haynes, a former Montreal Alouette from Central Washington who has gotten lots of reps in recent games, starts at MLB, backup up by Jordan Herdman-Reed.

There are no changes to the offensive and defensive lines.

Here's the Lions' depth chart for the game:
maxlion
Legend

Should be an interesting battle between Edmonton's def line and Lions' rejuvenated off line. Edmonton had to do some juggling on their off line, so might be vulnerable there, especially with an inexperienced QB and Gable (a strong blocker) out. I expect to see lots of pressure on Kilgore.

Good to see Cottoy back. Having both Durant and Cottoy out could be very disruptive to the ratio. This could be a good chance for Carter to have a breakout game.

Definitely a winnable game for BC. No excuses with the season on the line.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A real litmus test for the work Bates' has done to improve the offensive line given how they were owned in the two earlier meetings. A solid outing would suggest it's too bad Bates wasn't hired in the first place and spending $250,000 on Chungh was a big waste of cap speace when last year's starters Steward and Foucault are doing just fine thanks.
green road kill
Rookie

HEY GREEN AND UGLY

BARCKING DOGS DON,T BITE

Well schmucks what's with all the yack yip, you forget something this game will be played on THE FEILD not the net. We lost the game ,but beat you on the web. Well at least they walk away with something.

Yes the schmucks beat us badly early in the year , but some things have changed

LEE BUTLER GRYMES and PETERS have locked down the secondary

NEWSOME MENARD and LEMON have changed the D line and brought a pail of nasty with them

A change in coach has totally turned the Opine around .Idon,t know what you did but keep it going Kelly.

With the better play the running game and receivers have showed they have some sharp teeth.

This game is going to come down to Reilly vs Killgore, and who would you want as your QB,enough said. He may never admit it ,but you can just tell he wants to beat Edmonton some bad , and with the way the team is playing he's got a good chance.

The schmucks can laugh all they want about the team's we beat ,but over the last 6 games they ain't been a whole lot better.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

As mentioned (B.C.FAN) Kevin Haynes #42 will be starting at MLB against Edmonton tomorrow. I've had an eye on the young fellow and love his enthusiasm and toughness and am pleased to see him getting this opportunity to start. Here's the link to Matt Baker's detailed article on him from last month for anyone who didn't see it. There's a Biggie #44 connection. https://www.bclions.com/2019/09/10/batt ... es-legacy/
Also, it's a bit curious, isn't it (?) that Lemar Durant who's said to have a season-ending foot injury would be placed on the 1-game not the 6-game. But perhaps there's some merely mathematical reason behind it and nothing more.