Mike Reilly

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

Like most of you, I was very excited about the signing of Mike Reilly, and I assumed he was either the final piece in the puzzle (which would lead to a season of smack-talking everyone else in the West) and at least one (and by "one" I mean two...minimum) Grey Cups over the next three years.

Yeah. Who would have thunk we'd be pining for the days (in terms of win/loss) of Damon Allen?

So this isn't a troll post, but an honest proposal: the lions need to trade Reilly. He and Burnham are literally the only commodities they have, and frankly, there is no point having a first rate QB if you're rebuilding. This year is done. Next year will be brutal. The year after that Reilly is 37. Maybe the team should try and get something for him while he's still a viable asset.

Winnipeg. We trade him to Winnipeg. For every draft pick they'll have for the next decade, and one starting O lineman next year.

I was there in 1990, when Greg Battle raised the cup before an empty BC Place. That was (lemme see here: carry the one....twenty-nine years ago). Winnipeg is the one team that will mortgage their future for a win this year, and maybe next. And if the Lions can't possibly win in either of those two years, then why are they hanging onto the one shiny thing they could trade and enable them rebuild?

Anyway, idle thoughts.

PS --remember when we used to carp about Chap's offense? Man. I feel like a Ti-Cat fan from the early 00's.

Cheers,

James
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Even if the Lions are contemplating trading Reilly, the problem is going to be his hefty contract.
squishy35
Legend

I really believe that the issue is 'coaching' and the lack of anything resembling a pass rush.

The O-line debaucle this season is almost beyond belief. There is a ton of talent on the O-Line and they should never have been owned as they have been this season. If Reilly could actually have more than I steamboat to get the ball off then this is a completely different team. Never have I seen wave after wave of other teams defenses completely dominate an O-line. Which brings me to the other problem facing this lions club.... No pass rush.

The oppositions' offences have had way more time, on average, to set up plays, forcing our LB and DB corps to play their butts off.
Reggiemac
Rookie

Benic if we could get something for him but methinks his contract will prevent a trade. I say we simply cut him, he hadnt earned his pay and the team isnt playing for him start Kraemer or someone whom the team will play for. I think Reillys play and his fat contract has resilted in resentment on the team. Remember when he got Doug Flutie, the team played for him evem though he had a fat contract, big difference in leadership skills.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Since this is a lost season, I’d really like to see Kraemer get some live snaps but I don’t think Reilly is going anywhere. The Lions would be starting over again next year without him. I’d rather see them fill the holes around him and hope for better results next year.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I think if we got rid of JJ and got a OC that had plays that fit Reillys in the pocket playing style then its off to the races, I would rather see Carter bounced, not a fan of him.
yukonlion
All Star

If it's any consolation, the 1961 Lions with Joe Kapps first year went 1-13-2.... but JJ has to go, carter as well. and we need better LBs, even when we blitz, we dont get near the QB.
Don Miller
Legend

Reilly ia not the problem. No time to check second or third reads due to pressure. Our Tackles are not getting the job on outside containment on the rush ends. Receiver corps are weak other than Burnham who is an all star. Linebacking crew probably the worst in the league. Our Dends and Dtackles are not getting much pressure on the opposition QB.s JJ has to go and I don't believe Claybrooks is ready to be th HC. Team needs to be sold and rebranded with local ownership taking over. Travis Lulay could be a decent OC. Not sure about Hervey as GM lots of poor choices letting a lot of last years players go who are big contributors on their respective teams..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
JohnnyMusso
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:50 pm
Hey all,

Like most of you, I was very excited about the signing of Mike Reilly, and I assumed he was either the final piece in the puzzle (which would lead to a season of smack-talking everyone else in the West) and at least one (and by "one" I mean two...minimum) Grey Cups over the next three years.

Yeah. Who would have thunk we'd be pining for the days (in terms of win/loss) of Damon Allen?

So this isn't a troll post, but an honest proposal: the lions need to trade Reilly. He and Burnham are literally the only commodities they have, and frankly, there is no point having a first rate QB if you're rebuilding. This year is done. Next year will be brutal. The year after that Reilly is 37. Maybe the team should try and get something for him while he's still a viable asset.

Winnipeg. We trade him to Winnipeg. For every draft pick they'll have for the next decade, and one starting O lineman next year.

I was there in 1990, when Greg Battle raised the cup before an empty BC Place. That was (lemme see here: carry the one....twenty-nine years ago). Winnipeg is the one team that will mortgage their future for a win this year, and maybe next. And if the Lions can't possibly win in either of those two years, then why are they hanging onto the one shiny thing they could trade and enable them rebuild?

Anyway, idle thoughts.

PS --remember when we used to carp about Chap's offense? Man. I feel like a Ti-Cat fan from the early 00's.

Cheers,

James
No offence James, but your trade proposal is ridiculous. Even if Winnipeg was interested, there is no way ever that Winnipeg would trade every draft pick for the next 10 years to BC and an OL. Are you really serious or was that a mistake? There are 6 or 7 picks per draft and 10 years worth of them would make over 60 picks and the Bombers would laugh in Hervey's face if he asked for that. And Bombers don't need Reilly. They are doing quite well with their quarterbacks and even if they wanted Reilly they could not afford him and would have to cut or trade 2 or 3 really good players to make room for him.

One team that may be interested is Toronto. They are a big market who would love to have a big name QB.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Reilly is not the problem, but his contract will make it almost impossible to fix the problems elsewhere. Hervey is not going to cut Reilly and it's unlikely anyone trades for him. So I expect Hervey will spend a bit more on O-line and go cheap on receivers hoping that with better protection Reilly can turn average receivers into good ones.
BC 1988
Legend

yukonlion wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am
If it's any consolation, the 1961 Lions with Joe Kapps first year went 1-13-2.... but JJ has to go, carter as well. and we need better LBs, even when we blitz, we don't get near the QB.
It's kind of eerie that this seasons road unis with the black pants are reminiscent of that era.

With every loss we get closer and closer to the worst Lions season ever. The inaugural 1-15 record is within reach, and can even be shattered. One thing that works against that though (along with the sacks allowed record) is that there was a bit of a respite for the pummeling of Reilly in the last game. Maybe Kelly Bates will make a difference there, and help get a couple of more wins.
squishy35
Legend

Seriously.... wear the black pants at home and the orange pants on the road and we will win some games.....
Don Miller
Legend

Black and orange at home for sure. That is the Lions identity
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
BC 1988
Legend

If you want to be really superstitious, check out the 1954 1-15 season home unis. Apart from the plain orange helmet, they were wearing the all-orange look we have this season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_BC_Lions_season
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Nice find BC 1988. I looked online for game-action photos however it seems the bulk of it (if not all) was still black & white photography back then. Here's a nice watercolour though, from artist Nola McCannon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.