Hamilton at B.C. Aug. 24, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

After constantly juggling their starting lineup throughout the first half of the season, the Lions appear to have finally found some stability. They’ve made only one change for Saturday’s home game against the Ticats, activating Claudell Louis from the practice roster and inserting him at defensive tackle in place of roookie Mackendy Cheridor, who moves to the practice roster.

LB Jordan Herdman-Reed and OL Jean-Simon Roy are activated from the one-game injured list as backups. David Foucault again starts at LG and Phillip Norman femains at centre as the Lions keep the same OL starters, including three Anericans, for the third straight game. Backup OL Hunter Steward, who was injured in practice this week, moves to the one-game injured list. Makeki Harris and Isaiah Guzylak-Messam again start at linebacker. Newly acquired Jonathan Newsome is activated as a rotational DE in place of Korey Toomer, who has been placed on the 1-game injured list.

Here’s a link to the Lions’ depth chart and roster.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David Foucault not Knevel starting at left guard.
Bosco
Team Captain

I really really really really hope that the Lions (for once) get things right on special teams. For one thing....last week's thought process of pooch kicking or kicking it short in order to avoid a long runback resulted in excellent field position for the Bombers on almost every possession.

It's the tenth game of the season, time to learn how to make a downfield tackle!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:26 am
I really really really really hope that the Lions (for once) get things right on special teams. For one thing....last week's thought process of pooch kicking or kicking it short in order to avoid a long runback resulted in excellent field position for the Bombers on almost every possession.

It's the tenth game of the season, time to learn how to make a downfield tackle!
Player interviews suggest this has been the best week of practice so far this week so I think this issue will be first and foremost in the players' and ST coach's minds!

Whoever decided that pooch kick BS may as well have raised a white flag of surrender from the sidelines.

I can't for the life of me understand how players on ST s don't know how to stay in their lanes. I'm questioning that ST coach and the lack of stability in personnel on kick cover teams where players are clearly not just making the play in front of them and the first group downfield clearly aren't in synch as to what happens when you get in the vicinity of the ball carrier.

That would have been how I'd have practiced my ST unit this week after that debacle last game. Ensure width, yet ensure the group first downfield know as a unit how to contain the O/S and turn the carrier up field and into a tackler. Then make the tackle.

They best be ready for trickery from the Ticats - laterals, getting outside.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am
David Foucault not Knevel starting at left guard.
Yep, my brain cramp. Fixed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes’s five things to watch and his keys to the game sum up everything that has gone wrong for the Lions this season but he is still predicting a B.C. victory tonight.

http://bit.ly/2KSLuJb
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:56 am
Ed Willes’s five things to watch and his keys to the game sum up everything that has gone wrong for the Lions this season but he is still predicting a B.C. victory tonight.

http://bit.ly/2KSLuJb
The Lions have to get big performances tonight or they're cooked like dinner.

What I do find a bit of issue for me in taking in practices is how much on the ST the ST coach is talking. As a former mens senior coach (successful for the most part) my general rule of thumb to measure my team and my coaching was:

IF I'M TALKING/EXPLAINING TOO MUCH, THE TEAM'S NOT PROGRESSING.

This Lions team seems to have far more of this given the number of changes and until it settles down, turmoil in games will continue.

As someone who watches practices (3 this week including the downpour) I'd encourage the solo writer on football to take one in versus the same old crap about Duron Carter being the problem as he hasn't made big plays.

If he's running routes wrong or not hard enough then why aren't their coaching staff changing how they layer some of the pass routes. Some routes have the deep receivers not turning and for me this is a bit nuts as Reilly often hasn't the time OR Carter looking more like a decoy in many spots on the field and deep turning after. IF I were on that field, I'd tell Carter to stop following instructions and turn a bit earlier.

No question the O line is an issue as are Special Teams which have been less than special.

I would hope that BC's DEF would see how the other teams are backing D Linemen off the LOS and standing up and blocking the short passes on 2nd and 5 etc when they know a pass is coming.

I too predict BC to W tonight ......
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 am
What I do find a bit of issue for me in taking in practices is how much on the ST the ST coach is talking. As a former mens senior coach (successful for the most part) my general rule of thumb to measure my team and my coaching was:

IF I'M TALKING/EXPLAINING TOO MUCH, THE TEAM'S NOT PROGRESSING.

This Lions team seems to have far more of this given the number of changes and until it settles down, turmoil in games will continue.
Yes, that’s what struck me the most at training camp this year, particularly with the defensive line and other defensive position groups. Players spent a lot of time standing around listening to coaches or walking through cones or tackling dummies to practise their technique.

I know things have to be done differently with the league-wide restrictions on contact drills but I’ve gone to a lot training camps In my life and there just seemed to be no pace or intensity to most practices this year.
maxlion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 am

As someone who watches practices (3 this week including the downpour) I'd encourage the solo writer on football to take one in versus the same old crap about Duron Carter being the problem as he hasn't made big plays.

If he's running routes wrong or not hard enough then why aren't their coaching staff changing how they layer some of the pass routes. Some routes have the deep receivers not turning and for me this is a bit nuts as Reilly often hasn't the time OR Carter looking more like a decoy in many spots on the field and deep turning after. IF I were on that field, I'd tell Carter to stop following instructions and turn a bit earlier.
The problem as I see it is that he is a high priced import who isn't making plays. We already have two other decoys in our receiving group. We need playmakers. He ranks 27th in the league in receiving yards despite playing every game, and 76th in average yards per catch. He hasn't broken 100 yards in any game this year and hasn't made any of the highlight reel catches that he is famous for.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I have been disappointed too many times this year by the Lions. My heart is cheering for the Lions, but my head is feeling the Ti Cats will pull this out somehow. If Lions do win this is good for the home fans, but if they lose again by a blowout or late collapse, then who knows what will happen during their bye. Asking for patience is not going to go over for the Lions like the Canucks. Fanbase already low and a bad year will make it worse. Only an ownership could provide some hope for the future.

Downstairs now to watch the first game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The roof is open, according to the Moj.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Brett Boyko is scratched tonight. Jean-Simon Roy was the only backup lineman in uniform for the warmup.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sack by Hamiltonq
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No pass rush. Too much time for Evans
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice run by White