Braley Wants to Sell Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

The team needs to be sold this offseason, it's really gone down hill. The way they've treated season ticket holders this year is an embarrassment, it's no wonder why people don't have a reason to sign up.

Many of you know, years ago their season ticket holder packages came with plenty of freebees. That got watered down to a bunch of stickers, but even then they would hold season ticket holder events. You used to be able to go to the stadium and preview your seats, meet some players, have a bite to eat. Then they moved that to an event during the season, whether it was a bbq at the PNE grounds, or a BBQ and open practice at the practice facility, or an event at the Orpheum. They always did something, and we don't get that anymore. Instead, over a week ago in the mail I got a coupon for a pizza slice and a pop. It's a $5 coupon, for a pizza place I don't even like. What a joke.

Marketing and promotions with this team is in the toilet. We desperately need a new owner who will put some money into this team and breathe some fresh air into it. I don't want to blame the staff too much as I think they're probably doing the best that they can with the budget they have been given. Maybe they need more staff, I don't know, but they certainly need more resources.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 am
The team needs to be sold this offseason, it's really gone down hill. The way they've treated season ticket holders this year is an embarrassment, it's no wonder why people don't have a reason to sign up.

Many of you know, years ago their season ticket holder packages came with plenty of freebees. That got watered down to a bunch of stickers, but even then they would hold season ticket holder events. You used to be able to go to the stadium and preview your seats, meet some players, have a bite to eat. Then they moved that to an event during the season, whether it was a bbq at the PNE grounds, or a BBQ and open practice at the practice facility, or an event at the Orpheum. They always did something, and we don't get that anymore. Instead, over a week ago in the mail I got a coupon for a pizza slice and a pop. It's a $5 coupon, for a pizza place I don't even like. What a joke.

Marketing and promotions with this team is in the toilet. We desperately need a new owner who will put some money into this team and breathe some fresh air into it. I don't want to blame the staff too much as I think they're probably doing the best that they can with the budget they have been given. Maybe they need more staff, I don't know, but they certainly need more resources.
I can't speak to any events because as a long distance season ticket holder I rarely could attend. Having said that as a season ticket holder I've received many perks, offers and invites that add value to my ST. In June I saved something like $120 on some purchases at Sportchek thanks to the promotion offer to ST holders. ST holders get first dibs on the Operation Orange trips. I haven't partaken because the cost to get to and from Vancouver + hotels in Vancouver would add another $600 to $900 to the bill. There's the invite to get into the draw for the Draft Day party at the team offices. Got an invite to be in the draw to be down on the field for the TNF Concert Series. Pretty sure I've received invites to be down at field level for pregame warmups. There's been invites for other activities or concert pre-sales. Last year or the year previous we were given copies of Angus Reid's "Thanks Coach" book with the opportunity to pick it up at BC Place and have it personalized and autographed by Angus.

As for the packaging yes there was some nice packaging that could be considered collectibles on their own. Typically there are decals, comp tickets for preseason games, a couple of 2 for 1 coupons. I can tell you based on talking to ST holders in other markets that is the norm. I used to send pictures to my Eskimo ST friends. They were jealous because they never got anything like the stuff we were getting 4 or 5 years ago. I think about the only thing Rider fans got this year were clear plastic carry bags to make it easier to get through security at games. Last year I took the $40 pre-loaded Compass card which was amongst the perk options for buying my ST.

This year a buddy of mine and his wife from PG used one of my 2 for 1 coupons for the Montreal game to buy a pair near me in 242. 2 Coaches Sideline tickets for $90 total saving him $90. Friends from the north island came over for the Ottawa game. Their oldest son started heading off to the Lions shop to pick up some things. I handed him my ST card to take advantage of the discounts. He came back with a shirt and jacket and saved 15% off of list pricing. Then there's the Early Bird ST Renewal draws. Obviously not everybody can win but the offerings were impressive; Grey Cup trip, Operation Orange trip, GCs, autographed footballs and other swag. Bosco and I were two of the three lucky winners of our season tickets. All together in 2019 my single ST card has produced close to $1000 in benefits for myself and friends when counting the $770 savings from winning my seat. My favourite ST perk is that I get into the queue for buying my Grey Cup ticket right after the host season ticket holders and before the general public.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:28 pm

I can't speak to any events because as a long distance season ticket holder I rarely could attend. Having said that as a season ticket holder I've received many perks, offers and invites that add value to my ST. In June I saved something like $120 on some purchases at Sportchek thanks to the promotion offer to ST holders. ST holders get first dibs on the Operation Orange trips. I haven't partaken because the cost to get to and from Vancouver + hotels in Vancouver would add another $600 to $900 to the bill. There's the invite to get into the draw for the Draft Day party at the team offices. Got an invite to be in the draw to be down on the field for the TNF Concert Series. Pretty sure I've received invites to be down at field level for pregame warmups. There's been invites for other activities or concert pre-sales. Last year or the year previous we were given copies of Angus Reid's "Thanks Coach" book with the opportunity to pick it up at BC Place and have it personalized and autographed by Angus.

As for the packaging yes there was some nice packaging that could be considered collectibles on their own. Typically there are decals, comp tickets for preseason games, a couple of 2 for 1 coupons. I can tell you based on talking to ST holders in other markets that is the norm. I used to send pictures to my Eskimo ST friends. They were jealous because they never got anything like the stuff we were getting 4 or 5 years ago. I think about the only thing Rider fans got this year were clear plastic carry bags to make it easier to get through security at games. Last year I took the $40 pre-loaded Compass card which was amongst the perk options for buying my ST.

This year a buddy of mine and his wife from PG used one of my 2 for 1 coupons for the Montreal game to buy a pair near me in 242. 2 Coaches Sideline tickets for $90 total saving him $90. Friends from the north island came over for the Ottawa game. Their oldest son started heading off to the Lions shop to pick up some things. I handed him my ST card to take advantage of the discounts. He came back with a shirt and jacket and saved 15% off of list pricing. Then there's the Early Bird ST Renewal draws. Obviously not everybody can win but the offerings were impressive; Grey Cup trip, Operation Orange trip, GCs, autographed footballs and other swag. Bosco and I were two of the three lucky winners of our season tickets. All together in 2019 my single ST card has produced close to $1000 in benefits for myself and friends when counting the $770 savings from winning my seat. My favourite ST perk is that I get into the queue for buying my Grey Cup ticket right after the host season ticket holders and before the general public.
You're adding events from past seasons in this, and that kinda goes to my point. They did more in previous years. This year they've done nothing.

I've been a season ticket holder for almost 15 years now and not once have I been invited onto the field pre-game.

The Lions also didn't have a draft day party this year because they didn't have any picks in the top two rounds of the draft.

We received the 2 for 1 coupons, but whoopty doo since what good does that really do us? It's a smart marketing tactic because it's an attempt to use your season ticket holders to try to get more people brought out to the game, but for a season ticket holder it's nothing all that special.

I'm just not seeing the benefits of being a ticket holder.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The biggest benefit of being a season ticket holder is the discount on ticket prices. This year I got to attend the meet-and-greet with the new coaching staff in conjunction with the commissioner’s annual visit and was invited to view pregame warmups from field level. I wasn’t interested in that perk. I tried to use the Sport Chek discount that Hambone mentioned but they didn’t have anything in my size. Nothing else is of much value to me. I rarely use 2-for-1 ticket coupons or merchant discounts.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:18 pm
The biggest benefit of being a season ticket holder is the discount on ticket prices. This year I got to attend the meet-and-greet with the new coaching staff in conjunction with the commissioner’s annual visit and was invited to view pregame warmups from field level. I wasn’t interested in that perk. I tried to use the Sport Chek discount that Hambone mentioned but they didn’t have anything in my size. Nothing else is of much value to me. I rarely use 2-for-1 ticket coupons or merchant discounts.
Yes you are a rather tall fellow BCF. :wink: I used my Sportchek offer for sneakers, golf balls and a putter. Slightly less size dependent. Had I not replaced my driver and irons last year I may well have saved a few hundred more dollars. In adding up the value of benefits I'd enjoyed this year I wasn't even thinking of the season ticket holder discount which for my single seat would be $170.00. I would have liked to use the meet and greet with staff and commish opportunity but couldn't due to date and location. Although years ago I stopped watching pregame warmups from my seat I've kicked around the field level invite for pregame warmups for the novelty aspect.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 pm
You're adding events from past seasons in this, and that kinda goes to my point. They did more in previous years. This year they've done nothing.

I've been a season ticket holder for almost 15 years now and not once have I been invited onto the field pre-game.

The Lions also didn't have a draft day party this year because they didn't have any picks in the top two rounds of the draft.

We received the 2 for 1 coupons, but whoopty doo since what good does that really do us? It's a smart marketing tactic because it's an attempt to use your season ticket holders to try to get more people brought out to the game, but for a season ticket holder it's nothing all that special.

I'm just not seeing the benefits of being a ticket holder.
I was working from memory. Obviously what I'd remember were things I benefitted from. I also fully understand that perks, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder. Not everybody is going to appreciate or get value from everything offered. Even if I have no use for what is being offered I always appreciate the offer while understanding that even if it's nothing of interest to me that doesn't mean others won't benefit.

They offered the usual pair of comps for the preseason game. I never go to preseason games and if anything have problems finding a home for my own ticket. 3 or 4 years ago I forwarded my ticket and comps to my cousin who took his kids. His daughter wound up catching a mini-football that won her a Samsung Galaxy note book. This year I forwarded my ticket plus the comps to my buddy who in turn gave his and mine to his daughter who took her new boyfriend and 4 others to the preseason game. They had a blast. I sent my complimentary PNE pass to her as well and with her dad's she and her boyfriend went. I haven't been to the PNE in at least 25 years and have no idea what a day pass costs but would assume many ST holders who do live in the lower mainland would make use of use that. Recently had an offer for discounts to Cirque de Soleil. Again no interest to me but I appreciate the offer and assume that some will take advantage.

I've heard grumblings about lack of bling or swag coming with the ST package. Like any other perks I guess for some that means something. To me such things carry no value. Neither including such stuff nor lack of it is going to sway my decision to buy or not buy. Is it that you are not seeing any benefits that is the issue or just that the benefits offered don't float your personal boat?
David
Team Captain

I do think that Bobble Head Night should be done differently. I should be guaranteed a bobble head (or whatever else they are giving away) instead of having to arrive at the stadium at the right time and at the right gate. They should allow ST holders to go to some predetermined place on the concourse to redeem with their ST pass.

Other than that I have no quibbles. Yea, a public practice and barbecue or some type of scaled-down Fanfest would be a cool event for ST holders, but I can't say there is no value to renewing because there most certainly is.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

David Braley was interviewed this morning by Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040.

* "The average age of our attendance is much lower than other teams." (Huh??)

* Won't discuss potential suitors but is ready to sell.

* Buyer needs to work at it 100% of time to bring in fans. Person needs money so they aren't worried about money-losing seasons.

* Local owner "has not stepped up to the plate" so he has opened it up to others outside the market.

* 4-5 interested parties (midwest, London Ont, and 2-3 in the States). Would not confirm Aquilini interest.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 20700.html

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting if true that local interests have not shown much interest. (my words)
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:47 pm
David Braley was interviewed this morning by Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040.
* Local owner "has not stepped up to the plate" so he has opened it up to others outside the market.

* 4-5 interested parties (midwest, London Ont, and 2-3 in the States). Would not confirm Aquilini interest.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 20700.html

Locals not willing to meet Braley's asking price? Not surprised. Heard that before.

A bunch of groups in the US and and Ontario interested? Call me skeptical.

The CFL isn't exactly a great investment opportunity. More like a labour of love, "support the community" kind of thing.

Braley did well to find an owner for the Argos. Without MLSE, Argos would probably be gonzo. No equivalent group in Vancouver.
Dusty
Champion

According to Ed Willes, Mark Woodell (part of the Murray Keith group) has made "a very good offer" to Braley which was rejected without a counter offer.

Seems like Braley has already decided who he doesn't want and is not going to change his mind. The Lions seem to have always been a "personal" thing to Braley and the "sale" process (if you can even call it that) is personal too (i.e. not business).

It's like owning a classic car that you love and refusing to realize the "actual" value to others. It doesn't get sold because of the price you think its worth and ambivalence about even selling it.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1383245
Listening to the TSN interview, Braley sounds fairly good (considering his health issues). This does not sound like someone who is feeling his mortality and has an urgency to sell. I don't think we are any closer to new owners than we were 10 years ago.
David
Team Captain

Ironically, he thinks the league should be putting a bigger emphasis (presumably resources) on marketing the game to the fans. I never took him for a big marketing proponent, at least not for his own club. :hmm:

Mentioned a $5 coupon on the back of cereal boxes when he was Commish, that you could take to games and get your discount. Does anyone remember this? I sure don't. Then he seemed to dismiss Donnie's mention of cheaper tickets for kids league-wide as a way to get the next generation turned on to the product. :dizzy:

Very complex man. I came away with the impression that his estate will likely be left to handle the sale of the B.C. Lions. No one is going to meet his demands and he's not likely to capitulate. :bang:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:03 am

Mentioned a $5 coupon on the back of cereal boxes when he was Commish, that you could take to games and get your discount. Does anyone remember this?
How quaint. I'm sure that would get the young generation engaged. Maybe have a promo where you mail in your ticket stubs and get free x-ray glasses or a "secrets of ventriloquism" booklet. Kids love that stuff.
BC 1988
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:18 pm
David wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:03 am

Mentioned a $5 coupon on the back of cereal boxes when he was Commish, that you could take to games and get your discount. Does anyone remember this?
How quaint. I'm sure that would get the young generation engaged. Maybe have a promo where you mail in your ticket stubs and get free x-ray glasses or a "secrets of ventriloquism" booklet. Kids love that stuff.
lol. That's what I thought too, sounds like something from when Braley was a young lad. It would have been in 2002 when he was interim commissioner. (I don't remember it either).