Admit it, Claybrooks is a High School Coach, at best!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

VictoriaFan
Starter

sorry mods I took the bait, dude got me fired up

Please don't take the bait. Then we are going down a dark hole by demeaning our neighbours to the East, engaging in a winless political debate, and generally lowering the standard of this site.

Let's all just stick to football.

Thanks,
Mods.
Last edited by VictoriaFan on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:43 am
Ron Lancaster had a horrible rookie HC year but went on to a coaching career that was HoF worthy....
Lancaster's team was equally horrible in his second year. I can't remember if he was fired, resigned or his contract simply expired but he left with a 4-28 record. If not for his legendary status as a player no doubt he would have been fired well before he actually left. His best success was in Edmonton. While he had some early success in Hamilton including a Grey Cup win in his second season he would wind up with an overall losing record at 55-66-1 including going 12-38 in the final 2 years plus the year he came back on an interim basis after Greg Marshall was fired. Overall he finished 142-137-1 for a .509 winning percentage.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Claybrooks will ultimately be judged on his record as a head coach. Right now his record is 1-6. But he came to the Lions with years of NFL and CFL experience, winning a Super Bowl ring as a player with Tampa Bay and a couple of Grey Cup rings as a coach with Calgary. He deserves more respect than to be denigrated over his appearance.
Ray Nettles Ghost
prospect

The analogy of being on a winning team, carries very little substance, when it comes to being a "Head Coach".
I do believe that Gretzky was on a "Few" winning teams over his years, but in spite of all of those rings, he made for one very very *poop* "Head Coach".
You say that Claybrooks deserves more respect from us? based on "What"?
Claybrooks disrespects the game by dressing and looking like a "Street Punk", instead of looking like a "Head Coach", and his total disrespect for the Head Coaching position, that he temporally holds, for now.
I just don't understand, how any of you can actually defend this guy?
I really do question, that any of you either know the game or have ever Played it, past your Intramural sports recess time or in your Flag Football games.
Do tell us all, where you played your University / College Ball at, and "WHO" was your Head Coach of that program?
If all you do or have done, is Just watching the game, that might be the only reason that you don't see this guy, for what he is?
Without getting your panties all in a knot, what I am saying is, that Claybrooks is 10 years away...from ever being considered for "any" Head Coaching position at the Pro Level.
He needs to ride buses ( as they would say in Hockey ) and Learn the Game.....from the Minors on up.
He has not paid his dues yet, and was thrown into a pretty *poop* situation by this equally lame GM.
I'm just using that Stupid looking hat, as an example for how Unprepared he is, to be a Professional Head Coach.
He is like a deer stuck in the headlights....he is soooo over his head, that he has absolutely No Chance of ever making it to the surface...as a Head Coach.
Have you heard him Speak?
Have you heard his High School pre game speeches....very inspiring! LOL
I trull feel bad for him, I am truly embarrassed for him, as he has no Frigging clue, as to what the heck he is doing or is supposed to be doing.
Its just SAD to watch...but .....Watch I do.....as I just LOVE to watch him Fail, Game in and game Out.....the only chance that the Lions will ever have, is by getting rid of him and his GM Buddy, as quickly as we can, regardless who has to pick up the Bill.
Why the hell would anyone ever care, as to who has to pay them off?
Who cares?
The Fans and the City and the League are the Real Losers here, as having these two guys, running this team into the ground, is WHY.....this League will Fold, in the very near future.
Arena Football is more interesting to watch, than this crap is.
The CFL is pricing itself out of business when they are paying guys like Riley the insane money that he is presently earning.
Families can not longer afford to go to the games.
On the other hand, WHY.....would anyone ever want to pay anything, to go and watch this crap?
Its easy to watch it from home, but...to actually shell out for a game?
WHY....at the prices that they are asking?
You can try to defend Claybrooks all you want, you have that right.
Just as I have the right to say it like it is.....the guy is F#@KING Terrible as a "Head Coach".
He does not have the Make Up or the ingredients or the Intelligence to be a Pro "Head Coach".
An Intelligent "Head Coach" does not speak or come across as if he is the "Head Coach" for the Cloverdale Mustangs.
The Coaches from the Little League Team representing Coquitlam, that is presently in the Canadian Little League Championships, have better public speaking skills and better communication skills than "Snoop Dog" Claybrooks does, with his own "PRO" team.
Are you trying to tell us, that Claybrooks, is the Best... that we could have come up with?
I am sure, that the Coaches from Terry Fox or from Vancouver College could and would do a much better job, than this guy.....ever could.
Its makes me Laugh, when you guys think, that he deserves another year, to figure it all out? LOL
You have to be Kidding me?
Figure what out?
That he is a High School coach at best!
So you expect the fans and the city , to put up with this Crap for another year?
You guys are obviously not paying to go to the games.
If you were, you would be Demanding immediate changes or you would never ever step foot into that Tomb, ever again.
Claybrooks is over his head, and is out of his League, as far as ever being a Pro "Head Coach" goes.
Get rid of him Now......and stop the Bleeding and the embarrassment on the field, and in the city and the league.
Vancouver Fans are all the same.
They all back their teams with their Mouths, but never ever put out a Dime, to support them Financially.
If you had your own Money on the line.....you would all be demanding "Snoop Dogs" Head along with his equally pathetics GM's Head!
Claybrooks and his"Yo Yo" Immature Hat, and his Crayons.... have to be axed!
Make the Lions Great Again!
MLGA!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The alto ego reappears
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am
DanoT wrote:
Ron Lancaster had a horrible rookie HC year but went on to a coaching career that was HoF worthy....
Lancaster's team was equally horrible in his second year. I can't remember if he was fired, resigned or his contract simply expired but he left with a 4-28 record. If not for his legendary status as a player no doubt he would have been fired well before he actually left. His best success was in Edmonton. While he had some early success in Hamilton including a Grey Cup win in his second season he would wind up with an overall losing record at 55-66-1 including going 12-38 in the final 2 years plus the year he came back on an interim basis after Greg Marshall was fired. Overall he finished 142-137-1 for a .509 winning percentage.
The TiCat teams he had at the end of his coaching career were as wretched as the Riders teams he was saddled with. Edmonton in the middle made his coaching reputation.
Mikemike
All Star

I like Claybrooks, and have no problem with the hat, but he has an odd habit of looking skyward that I have never seen in a coach before.

Every time the camera is on him he is habitually looking up (I assume at the big screen) but correct me if I am wrong: all the other coaches I've ever seen are focused on the field and what's happening, not watching replays of what's already happened.

I'm not sure what possesses him to do that; it's like he can't stop looking and glances up every few seconds. It's very odd.

Anyhoo, I think he'll be a good coach + I hope he stays.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

He's looking at the replay/time board.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seeking divine intervention.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Everybody has opinions. We get it RNG. You don't think Claybrooks is a good coach which is fine but it still only amounts to a personal opinion. Some might even agree with the general thrust of some of your arguments but the style with which you present your point of view is going to win you few adherents. Nobody has to accept anything on this forum because you or anyone else says it's so. The art in advancing a position is doing so while the audience feels respected even if they don't agree. Do it well enough and some might even publicly acknowledge the merits of your position. Typing "loudly" while calling a game that a lot of people here love and enjoy "crap" on the other hand is going to have the opposite effect. Your choice.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Mikemike
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Seeking divine intervention.
Hehe, I'm sure in a sense you are right, but I still feel confident in saying that (barring a challenge situation) it is atypical behaviour of anyone else on the sidelines, even moreso atypical compared to the behaviour of the leagues other head coaches, past or present.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wish coach's hat wearing was the biggest problem with this team
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am
DanoT wrote:
Lancaster's team was equally horrible in his second year. I can't remember if he was fired, resigned or his contract simply expired but he left with a 4-28 record. If not for his legendary status as a player no doubt he would have been fired well before he actually left. His best success was in Edmonton. While he had some early success in Hamilton including a Grey Cup win in his second season he would wind up with an overall losing record at 55-66-1 including going 12-38 in the final 2 years plus the year he came back on an interim basis after Greg Marshall wa
s fired. Overall he finished 142-137-1 for a .509 winning percentage
I stand corrected. Lancaster's coaching career was not HoF worthy but he did develop and get better after a horrible start. Claybrooks should also be given the chance to develop as well because most coaches need that development time, especially when the GM guts the team of vets and spends SMS money in a less than prudent manner.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

But if the team finishes 3 and 15 or worse, someone has to take the fall. Personally if the worst case scenario happens, Ed Hervey needs to go and maybe Claybrooks. Sometimes assistants do not make good head coaches, Rich Stubler and Jeff Reinebold come to mind. The team also has to consider can they sell the team with Ed Hervey and Claybrooks going forward and if the season does not turn around and they win only a few games, there has to be major changes and not just with the players. Ed Hervey's contract is expiring and right now if I was the owner I would not offer him a new one. The new GM can decide the fate of Claybrooks.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Maybe his hat is on straight but his head is a little crooked. ?