Eskimos 33 - Lions 6 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q1.
3 penalties in Q1.
Offence doing OK. Defence not so much.
Esks 10 – Leos 3.

Q2.
Gotta like White and Rutley.

Big penalty on Chungh. Defender thrown to the ground?

Time count. Lack of discipline and focus. 65 yards penalties.
Sack #2.

We get the stop. Nice D by Lee.

Sack. Fumble.

Sack. 8 men at LOS. Receivers deep. No release valve. D’oh.

Big Eskie return. Penalty declined.

As a team, we do not know how to play football.

FG. 16 – 3.

Positive note. Burnham amazing concentration.

25 yard routes, says Suitor. Ridiculous.
3 man rush pressures Reilly.

Reilly should have taken less money and stayed in Edmonton. For his health.

Roughing on Willis. Low hit. As Suitor said, he went low. Over turned.

5 sacks against in the half.
………

Edmonton bringing the house. Our receivers running 25 yards deep, never looking back. No outlet/release for Reilly. Where is the 25% he chooses in the game plan? Probably deep pass plays.

Hervey doesn’t look like the second coming of Hugh Campbell, or John Hufnagel. Personnel choices bad and strange. Claybrooks appears in way over his head. Jarious has never looked good as an OC. Hervey went for the splash. Claybrooks. Reilly. Chungh. Carter. Pffttt. Nada. Lousy looking team. Cannot do the fundamentals.
……….

Q3.
Harris back in. Good, for the league.
Screen pass for 77 yards. 23 – 3. Good Gawd. Claybrooks is not ready to be a HC. But he will no doubt last the year, due to financial considerations. Our players have quit on the coaching staff. Too early to say that? I don’t think so.

Carter seems to be going through the motions. Disinterested.

Lions blitz. Ellingson finds the hole. Daniels TD. Beautiful catch. The beat is on. 30 – 3.

Our ball next. Wonder if Reilly gets sacked.

The Lions look like they know the season is hopeless.

Carter goes with one hand, instead of two. With two, he had a chance, imo. The officials allow an Interference call, while we have an offsetting penalty.

Interception. Our staff has no idea how to do this stuff. Playbook. Game plans. Play calls. Team morale.

Tuck penalized. But we have an offsetting holding penalty. LOL.

We have 100 yards of offence. Jarious must be missing Notre Dame. He is lost here.

Jackson almost breaks the return.

Hard game to watch. Eskimos steam roll us on short yardage. Collins 100 yard games twice this year. Not good enough for us.

30 -3 at end of Q3.

Q4
Does Claybrooks have a clue? Is he getting worried? Does he have any idea how to turn the thing around? It does not look like it.

We get a stop. 3rd and 1. If they go, they will get it. Maas calls off the dogs.

Long pass to Burnham for 39. Cottoy for 17. Reilly decked. Burnham drop in the end zone. Reilly decked. Close to interference. Reilly TD. Ooops. Holding on Foucault. Foucault Fooked it. FG. 30 - 6.

7:30 left. Daniels. 3rd and 1 again. I agree with Maas. Don't fire up the Leos, as if that is possible.

Punt. Jackson long return. Penalty.

3:00 left.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

3:00 left. Gable for the 1st.

Claybrooks in over his head. Jarious has never shown anything as an OC. Stubler not looking good. Hervey not looking good.

Personnel issues. Playbook issues. Team morale issues.

1:37 left. Reilly staying in. D'oh.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

swervynmerv
Legend

What a tire fire. Poorly coached, undisciplined, no fire in the team. GM did a terrible job of recruiting and assessing talent on this team.
swervynmerv
Legend

On another matter. In Jarious Jackson’s CFL career, what did he accomplish to demonstrate that he would be a good OC. For the most part he was an average QB who was more often than not a back-up.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

EH approach to building a team. Spend most of the money every where else, then throw in some cheap Canadians to pretend to be an o-line.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
LionsLip
Rookie

" The Lion Sleeps Tonight"....man how I dislike that song!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

today the lions reminded me of when my 8 yr old son was on a softball team and half the kids on the field played with the dirt more than they played the ball.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions are a terrible team and cannot see them beating the Riders in either game. This game was an embarrassment. What does David Braley think? Will he try to lure Wally out of retirement. Even Wally's teams were not this bad. Going with all rookie coaches, except Stubler was a mistake. Even if they wanted to fire Claybrooks, there is no one in their staff qualified to take over.

This team needs changes, but Hervey used up most of his cap and has little money to do anything. If this team only wins 3 or 4 games this year how can you bring back Claybrooks. He would have to be fired along with Hervey. At least Lions have an experienced president now and he may clean house at end of year. But in the meantime, Lions have to make changes, but limited in what they can do now. I personally would fire Jackson now. Pay a QB big bucks and then keep on a terrible OC. Lions in the first half of last 2 games averaging just 3 points. Not good enough.

This is going to be a long season and I would fear the team in danger of folding for who will go to the games now after this dreadful performance at home.

This team needs a shakeup after just 5 games. They are as bad as the Argos and I think even the Als are better now.

Hervey better find a way to stop this slide for he will be gone at the end of the season if they don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who made the decision to close the roof tonight ? WTF Some major changes are around the corner. I would be surprised if there was more than 19,000 at the game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As a HC, Claybrooks looks like a dead man walking. I suppose people are in shock. But there were clues along the way. DeVone talks a mile a minute, but it seems like cliches, rattled off. He certainly seems out of touch with what it takes to lead a team.

He was saddled with Jarious as OC. That is a head shaker.

Stubler has had success, but he is saddled with the guys Ed Hervey has assembled. Screen pass for a 77 yard TD. Ouch. No pressure on Harris. Ouch.

Our receiving corps is just not good enough, for a CFL team. (Just look at what Edmonton has. Calgary. Others.) And that is not on the NATs. Cottoy is as green as grass. Shaq has never been a go-to guy in his brief career. Durant has been very, very good. Burnham is no burner. As noted numerous times, imo, he is a possession receiver, not that difficult to get close cover on. But he is able to snag balls with his size, athleticism and concentration. Carter? He is missing in action. I do not want to pile on, but I have had reservations all along. I think people go for the flash. But, imo, he lacks substance. Routes. Separation. Dedication. Fire. All missing in action.

I think our O Line should be better. But Foucault has been a project. Boyko is essentially a rookie, new to the CFL. Steward has been benched, without any word of what is going on there. Roy is new. Chungh is powerful, but seems to be ordinary at best in pass blocking. And who knows how much Jarious' offence has destroyed guys' confidence, and even understanding of the game.

STs? Not much of a factor this game. But Jackson ran back some big returns.

We got beat on offence and defence.

Maas knows how to coach and lead. We have not seen that from DeVone Claybrooks. The offence is in Jarious' hands. And Claybrooks has delegated the defence to Stubler. The Lions are confused and lacking in motivation. That is on Claybrooks, imo. And on Hervey for all the decisions he has made that do not look good at this point.

Just imo.

BC 1988
Legend

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2576/edmonton- ... 9#boxscore
17,026 suffered through both what was on the field and a completely unnecessary closed roof. (On 1040 they were saying as late as 4pm it was going to be a last minute decision to open it or not.)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Started with the idiotic decision to close the roof tonight and went downhill from there.

This is all on Ed Hervey's shoulders.
-Retaining Jackson as OC.
-Horrible recruiting south of the border over his two seasons here and it shows big time at LB, receiver and d-line.
-Spending $250,000 on Sukh Chungh. God knows how much on Duran Carter too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just finished firing off an email to FanServices regarding the closing of the roof. The PA announcer told the fans to remove their hats prior to the playing of our national anthem. Players from both teams removed their helmets, yet here were the Felions standing on the field all with their cowboy hats on their heads. Lions can't do anything right.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Davone Claybrooks's post game

https://www.bclions.com/2019/07/11/post ... laybrooks/

Sounded pissed. Agree that it's the tipping point of the season. Think there will be some changes coming.