B.C. Lions at Edmonton June 21, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

yukonlion
All Star

love it Claybrooks "not understanding what theyre doing"... uh great... you're out coached and out played... sounding like wally blaming other coaches and players.. rubbing his belly on a fumble recovery pretty class less...
Fan7
Rookie

Predicting a crowd under 8,000 for their next home game. Awful effort, Reilly will not last the season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm
The Eskimos are bringing a lot of pressure against the right side of the Lions’ O-line.
...and it never ceased.

Never one person's fault but there are plays you can call sending the ball the other way including running.

Reilly on 1040 making the point that in the first two games as soon as adversity hits, they don't respond. To some extent that is where coaching comes in. I always made the point as a coach that no matter what there will be times in the game when your opponent goes on your run. The issue is not preventing it - the issue is how you respond.

But Reilly does suggest they need to be able to run the ball.

What surprised me at the end was the lack of the team helping Reilly getting killed.
#88 takes a downfield roughing call late in the game when he should actually have caught a ball for this QB who was under pressure big time.

The HC has to install discipline - no penalties and in game be able to rally his troops and actually bring in some scheme changes.

Pass rush for BC suggests somethings not working.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Dusty
Champion

I don't think that my liver can stand a full season of this.... at least at a home game, the beer is so expensive I can only afford 2.... watching the away games on TV is gonna be detrimental to my health.... not to mention the killed bottles of Baileys...

Beyond disappointment.... Boyko has not shown that he is the answer at tackle... he takes 2-3 steps and does not keep moving his feet, letting the opponent move around him to Reilly... Jeezzzzzz....

Hey!! its just a game... bah humbug....
yukonlion
All Star

Reilly on the Radio, "tough to make plays when they'r coming so hard" jeezz through a screnn pass or a few quick hitters.. do we not have audibles??
EVERY other team in the league does that, why cant we...
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Work in progress I suppose. But the curve is getting pretty steep.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

yukonlion wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Reilly on the Radio, "tough to make plays when they'r coming so hard" jeezz through a screnn pass or a few quick hitters.. do we not have audibles??
Jarious. Jackson.

Clueless.
CardiacKid
Legend

In all seriousness, I hope Matt Baker takes the time to post something here that addresses what we plainly saw unfold. Namely the lack of effort and the lack of varied play calling.

The club needs to address how this game went down out of respect to the fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm
yukonlion wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Jarious. Jackson.

Clueless.
Lulay was pounded last year. Reilly getting pounded this year. Common denominator: Jarius Jackson.
yukonlion
All Star

agree... and stublers d is old school... almost like wally ahnging on to his favourites.. yet claybrook ran a great d in calgary? where is it?
BeaverSports
prospect

I’m an Eskimos fan. Not coming here to gloat, but offering an observation as I see Jackson and the line taking a lot of flack. Your offence looked a lot like ours did late last year with little running and Reilly often looking to hang in the pocket for a deeper look, rather than checkdowns and short passes. I wonder how much influence he has in your play calling and if he hasn’t helped matters in that regard. He certainly wasn’t the Reilly of old late last year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BeaverSports wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 pm
I’m an Eskimos fan. Not coming here to gloat, but offering an observation as I see Jackson and the line taking a lot of flack. Your offence looked a lot like ours did late last year with little running and Reilly often looking to hang in the pocket for a deeper look, rather than checkdowns and short passes. I wonder how much influence he has in your play calling and if he hasn’t helped matters in that regard. He certainly wasn’t the Reilly of old late last year.
Thanks for posting.

Points well made. Reilly wants to pass, and not use the run game. He does not want to come out of the game. He has been given the keys to the car, and gets to call the shots. Great guy, but he is acting also like the Head Coach. Pass. Pass. Pass. No runs. Not coming out of the game. He seems to have handcuffed Claybrooks, in who gets to run the team. Reilly reminds me of Joe Kapp, who seemed to have more authority than HC Dave Skrien.

Jarious? Some on here have expressed doubts about his offence. Those doubts continue.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

about time someone started a petition to get rid of Jarious Jackson and whoever is responsible for the oline immediately
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Don Miller
Legend

Hey they can only go up Calgary will be licking their chops. No pressure on the qb linebackers are weak and db's still not on the same page. No running attack. Boyko has not yet adjusted to the CFL game and is a pylon. Claybrooks outcoached against Mass. Wow the next home game isnt until July 11 against Edmonton again. If the ship isnt righted we could be last in the West.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 pm
The Lions are wearing black pants with their white road jerseys. They look better than the all-orange combo they've worn at home.

The only bright spot of the game was seeing those in action. Design is a very successful update on the 1964 look--apart from the orange paw logo that was used on the black helmet back then.