Lions cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Nothing wrong with the draft in any sport.

There are many reasons some don't pan out and some who aren't drafted or low picks become successful including:

1. young players who test well on the things they test for but fail when it comes to playing.

2. combo or one of lack of ability to play at the speed of the pro level and ability to adapt to the way it's played.

An example on Lions vs Calgary with 80- Watson with two drops in the comeback where he tries to catch the ball against his body. Seems he doesn't know you catch with your hands.

3. passion and desire to really pursue the challenge as it's not for everyone.

4. these coaches know football and talent but might not be the best in picking a winner in the pros when they're playing at college level as it's not the same.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Bosco
Team Captain

I believe that there will be quite a bit of shuffling on the Lions D over the first few weeks of the season, and they might also see if someone falls into their lap - much like Davone Coleman did last year.
David
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 am
I believe that there will be quite a bit of shuffling on the Lions D over the first few weeks of the season, and they might also see if someone falls into their lap - much like Davone Coleman did last year.
They must have liked what they saw in Boesen in that they gave him a game ball in the locker room after the game (I didn't really see an exceptional performance). Barring the unforeseen, we will start the season with:

Willis // Louis // Coleman // Boesen

I like the interior of this line, but we will have a 34-year old at one end and a raw rookie at the other end position. I think Stubs and Claybrooks will be dialling up a lot of creative blitzes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

The practice roster is:

QB Grant Kramer (I)
QB Ricky Lloyd (I)
RB Jamel Lyles (N)
DB Hakeem Johnson (N)
DB Victor Gamboa (I)
LB Jerry Iweh (I)
DL Ebo Ogundeko (I)
OL Phillip Norman (I)
OL Jonathoan Harke (N)
WR Marquis Bundy (I)
WR Fernando Richarte (G)

The Lions also formally announced Thompson and O’Brien’s signings, as well as picking up Simonise after his being cut by the Bombers.

Side note: Michael O’Connor appears to have made the Argos’ starting roster.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have announced their practice squad, so things are much more clear than they were yesterday.

Mike Reilly is the only QB on the active roster pending the addition of former Edmonton backup Danny O'Brien. Ricky Lloyd and Grant Kraemer are both on the practice roster.

Receivers Marquis Bundy and Fernando Richarte are both on the practice squad, leaving Bryan Burnham, Duron Carter, Lemar Durant, Shaq Johnson and Jevon Cottoy on the active roster as the five starters with Gerardo Alvarez as the lone backup. That's two internationals, three nationals and a global player. The Lions also announced the signing of national Rishaun Simonise, who has yet to be added to the roster.

Jamel Lyles is also on the practice squad, leaving John White, Brandon Rutley, Wayne Moore, David Mackie and rookie draft pick Mario Villamizar as running backs and fullbacks.

The Lions have four defensive ends on the roster: Odell Willis, Darius Allen (who played defensive tackle against Calgary on Friday), Mat Boesen and Meffy Koloamatangi. Ebenezer Ogundeko is on the practice squad.

Things will change again when O'Brien, Simonise and Anthony Thompson are added to the roster. Injured offensive linemen Peter Godber and Antonio Johnson will likely be moved to the injured list.

There are nine DBs on the 46-man roster, including international free agents Chris Edwards and Aaron Grymes, international veterans T.J. Lee and Garry Peters and international rookies Carson Ketter and D'londo Tucker. National DBs include Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Dom Termansen and Josh Woodman.

Altogether, I count seven rookies on the 46-man roster, and a total of 21 players who weren't with the Lions last year.

https://www.bclions.com/roster/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:09 pm
Mike Reilly is the only QB on the active roster pending the addition of former Edmonton backup Danny O'Brien. Ricky Lloyd and Grant Kraemer are both on the practice roster.

Things will change again when O'Brien, Simonise and Anthony Thompson are added to the roster. Injured offensive linemen Peter Godber and Antonio Johnson will likely be moved to the injured list.

There are nine DBs on the 46-man roster, including international free agents Chris Edwards and Aaron Grymes, international veterans T.J. Lee and Garry Peters and international rookies Carson Ketter and D'londo Tucker. National DBs include Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Dom Termansen and Josh Woodman.

Altogether, I count seven rookies on the 46-man roster.

https://www.bclions.com/roster/
Unless Lloyd has been given clearance to practice he will go on the IR too. Players won't be declared for the 1G or 6G injured lists until teams turn in their rosters for their first game. Given O'Brien will only have 2 or 3 practices and a walkthrough under his belt by Saturday I wouldn't be surprised if Kraemer is also on the 46 for Week 1. There could be a few shuffles between active and PR when the game day roster dust settles.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rashaun Simonise, born in Vancouver, seems like a physically gifted athlete, who has one more team, the Lions, looking at his potential.

Talented INT receivers, imo, are almost a dime a dozen. The Lions seem to be approaching it that way. Many discards, including Augustin. We do seem thin at INT receiver.

And we do have two Global receivers.

It seems a bit like a scramble to find what Hervey and Company want at receiver.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here is a CBA type situation re the roster. I do not have the interest level at this time to dig into the CBA.

After final cutdowns and roster declaration, it seems in the past, during the season, teams have brought in individual players, here and there, for a supervised work out, as a tryout. Not sure about that. And this is not that period later in the year where all teams bring in players for an extended look-see. (I seem to recall them bringing in Jarious for a look-see midseason. And there was a DE from UBC that I saw Stubler, when he was DC last time around, working out at the facility. Wally was there too.)

It seems our search for the ''right'' INT receivers is not finished.

If they find the right guy, I guess they have to put him on the PR, and adjust elsewhere (IR, et cetera).

In other words, in a couple of weeks, can they just bring in a WR, for example, for a look-see? I expect he has to go on the PR.

Hambone? BCFAN? Others who look into the CBA details?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:18 pm
Here is a CBA type situation re the roster. I do not have the interest level at this time to dig into the CBA.

After final cutdowns and roster declaration, it seems in the past, during the season, teams have brought in individual players, here and there, for a supervised work out, as a tryout. Not sure about that. And this is not that period later in the year where all teams bring in players for an extended look-see. (I seem to recall them bringing in Jarious for a look-see midseason. And there was a DE from UBC that I saw Stubler, when he was DC last time around, working out at the facility. Wally was there too.)

If they find the right guy, I guess they have to put him on the PR, and adjust elsewhere (IR, et cetera).

In other words, in a couple of weeks, can they just bring in a WR, for example, for a look-see? I expect he has to go on the PR.

I have attempted to find a copy of the current CBA online with no luck. As of their last update on May 22nd, CFLDB has yet to post the 2019 CBA and is currently looking to acquire a copy to post. That particular site has complete copies of previous CBAs and seems to be a consistently serious site when it comes making that sort of dense information available.

Note: just double-checked CFLdb and it states that no official summary or copy of the CBA has been released. So if a copy is floating around out there, it probably “escaped”.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My question about the CBA is where do the Global players fit on the roster? Are there min or max numbers of Globals per team or are they counting as Internationals (would seem to be unlikely)? Or are they in addition to the 46 man roster?
Dusty
Champion

I'm very surprised that Augustin did not make the Final Roster or the Practice Roster. Augustin was very effective going after the ball and making difficult catches. I was not impressed at all with Bundy who dropped some very catchable balls. He was useless on the returns, so lord help us all if that was the rationale for keeping him over Augustin.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:26 pm
I'm very surprised that Augustin did not make the Final Roster or the Practice Roster. Augustin was very effective going after the ball and making difficult catches. I was not impressed at all with Bundy who dropped some very catchable balls. He was useless on the returns, so lord help us all if that was the rationale for keeping him over Augustin.
Agree with your assessment. After the game he had, I thought he won the battle against Bundy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

I’m not aware of any way to bring in a player to practise with the team without putting him on the practice roster. The practice roster size is expanded this year from 10 to 12 players. The Lions currently have 11 on their practice roster.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 pm
I’m not aware of any way to bring in a player to practise with the team without putting him on the practice roster. The practice roster size is expanded this year from 10 to 12 players. The Lions currently have 11 on their practice roster.
Given the club's strategy to only dress 2 QBs this season, I doubt they want to be carrying 2 more QBs on the PR. Kraemer played himself onto the roster, so I think they are going to want to see progress on the practice field from Lloyd once he's healthy. Lloyd was likely pencilled in as the #2 coming into camp, but it's a "what have you done for me lately" business.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

BCFAN, I did not mean "practice with the team." I meant an individual workout.

I guess it is possible to have a colleague work the player out somewhere in the States, on a quiet weekday. Check the size, speed, athleticism to a degree. Check the skills as a receiver. Also, I expect the Lions have guys from their tryout camps still on their speed dial. Plus the negotiation list.

It just seems to me we are not finished looking at INT receivers.

In the past, or even now, I wonder if teams were allowed a one day, individual workout, for a prospective player, a limited number of times during the season. I see no problem with that.