For those who participated on Total-CFL a notable passing.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

There's not many of us Total-CFL refugees still hanging around on these pages. For those of us who were I was informed last night that we lost a character and a regular contributing fan from the Baltimore Stallions days. Louis Tawney aka "Loyal Lou" passed away over the weekend. Apparently he was 86. Lou was a Korean War vet and loyal Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Stallions fan. He made it to a few Grey Cups even after the Stallions were gone including the 1999 GC in Vancouver. He and his brother Fred were fondly known to Stallions players as "The Oldtimers" who would regularly be there to send to team off on road trips or greet them when they returned.

One of the more cherished items I have in my memorabilia collection is a program from a gathering of old Baltimore Colts legends at a University of Baltimore Law School event in 2000. Lou and Fred attended. Lou knew I was a big Colts fan and unbeknownst to me he got several of the Colts players in attendance to autograph a copy for me. Amongst the players signing it were Art Donovan, Lenny Moore, Tom Matte, Bruce Laird and Rick Volk.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:30 am
One of the more cherished items I have in my memorabilia collection is a program from a gathering of old Baltimore Colts legends at a University of Baltimore Law School event in 2000. Lou and Fred attended. Lou knew I was a big Colts fan and unbeknownst to me he got several of the Colts players in attendance to autograph a copy for me. Amongst the players signing it were Art Donovan, Lenny Moore, Tom Matte, Bruce Laird and Rick Volk.
RIP your friend.

Johnny Unitas got me going on NFL football.

Lenny Moore

Gino Marchetti

Raymond Berry

Big Daddy Lipscomb

Tom Matte and the plays on his wristband

https://www.si.com/2014/05/27/nfl-histo ... -wristband

2019-06-03_1322.png
2019-06-03_1318.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Johnny Unitas was my NFL hero as well. He and tight end John Mackey seemed to be great leaders on and off the field. Mackey was the first president of the NFL Players Association after the merger with the AFL.

I met Loyal Lou briefly at one Grey Cup. He was a great fan. RIP.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm
Johnny Unitas got me going on NFL football.

[/quote]

Johnny U for me too. John Mackey and Mike Curtis were my other main guys as a kid. I was well aware of Matte who had to fill in at QB that one year. Moore and Marchetti were at the tail ends of their careers when I started following. Big Daddy was a few years before my time. KVOS out of Bellingham was the only US station we could pick up on good old peasant-vision in Union Bay back then. As a CBS affiliate they showed NFL games and in particular NFL West Conference games. The Colts were in the NFL West so we got a lot of their games.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BCFAN and Hambone,

John Mackey was awesome. He transformed the Tight End position.

Mike Curtis was crazy intense. LOL He clotheslined a streaker one time. Bam.

I was moving on a bit by that time. But I still liked the Colts. The Packers caught my eye in Vince's first year. Lombardi. Hornung. Taylor. The awesome running game. Green Bay Sweep.

Jerry Kramer. It was a shame that he took forever to enter the Hall of Fame. He was at least as worthy as any of those guys. There was speculation that some voters thought there had been too many of those Packers in the Hall. His books were great reading.
0126fbn-super-vecsey-2.jpg
Kramer-Sweep.jpg
Featured-Image-Lombardi-Sweep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ever see a player who would go through hell for a coach? Vince had that effect on a great number of his players. Just reading it about inspired me.

05305c0cd07605423d94dd210a79f803.jpg

Bosco
Team Captain

At last year's Grey Cup, we had the opportunity to speak with Leo Dodge, another loyal Baltimore Stallion fan, CFL fan, and true gentleman.

Leo has been attending Grey Cups since 1994 and his yearly presence is a comforting and purrfect example of what is right with this league.