Lions @ Eskimos - Game Day Thread 20190526

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

A pic from today's action and a look at the Leo's new home uniforms (the pants from which I hope will be permanently switched to black with orange and white stripes in due course, lol).

Here, Joey Augustin reaches for the deep ball in the end-zone. As with many errant passes today, this one was just beyond reach.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Holy crap. I've just popped in and read this thread. Apparently my expectations based on a team of largely rookies and backups playing under an almost totally new coaching staff with only 6 days of practice are much lower than everybody else. I guess I missed the memo that said I should expect the team to perform like a well oiled machine of seasoned vets in mid-season form. WTF is with the Rider fan-like jump off the tallest grain elevator panic?!?!?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Holy crap. I've just popped in and read this thread. Apparently my expectations based on a team of largely rookies and backups playing under an almost totally new coaching staff with only 6 days of practice are much lower than everybody else. I guess I missed the memo that said I should expect the team to perform like a well oiled machine of seasoned vets in mid-season form. WTF is with the Rider fan-like jump off the tallest grain elevator panic?!?!?
No panic here. Rookies with six days of CFL practice on the road against a veteran-laden roster performed about as expected. The defence probably performed better than expected; the offence and special teams not so much.
David
Team Captain

To B.C.FAN's point, I haven't read every comment on the GDT, but from listening on the radio, the defense as a whole performed well. Granted, Harris only played the first quarter, but their longest pass of the day was 17 yards. Coverage seemed quite tight the whole day. In fact, it could easily have been 15-7. An INT in the endzone was negated by a roughing the passer penalty which lead to a scoring play on the 1-yard line.

No one was expecting a well-oiled machine on offence, but there was absolutely no rhythm on that side of the ball despite playing against vanilla man and soft zone coverage. I wasn't expecting a TD fest, but definitely more completed passes (there were a few drops too). Punt cover teams were atrocious but overall, I am okay with today. The effort was there.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

Listening today, I'm quickly reminded how irritating it is to hear Moj refer to the"boundry receiver" 50+ times a game. :bang:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 pm
Listening today, I'm quickly reminded how irritating it is to hear Moj refer to the"boundry receiver" 50+ times a game. :bang:
Or how long it took him to tell the Frank Smith story. Must have attended the Squire Barnes school of broadcasting. Talk about everything but the subject at hand.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 pm
I rarely listen to radio PBP when games are televised but I loved Moj's call today. He described sets, matchups and substitutions better than most broadcasters, and Giulio Caravatta's honest colour commentary (e.g. his criticism of Brett Boyko's play) added to the authenticity of the broadcast for a diehard Lions fan seeking a mental picture of the action.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Hambone is unhappy with the commentary of the fans.

Some fans listened to the whole game, and had flashbacks to last year's dismal offence.

This fan expects Stubler's defence to be very good.

STs will shape up.

Jackson's offence? I will be surprised and happy if Reilly can make it look much different than last year under Lulay and Jennings, an offence with lots of talent, imo. Preseason. No Reilly. True. But it seemed a lot like last year, where the QBs had a hard time making the O run. Predictable. Not easy to run. Easy to defend. An offence that is ''not easy to learn,'' says Claybrooks. Based on JJ's record, I agree. Not sure our guys ever got the hang of it last year.

Early. Yes. But not too early for fans to comment on what happens on the field.

Panic? Hardly. Hard to find good things to say about 201 yards total offence against vanilla defence. We all know the reasons and excuses offered for poor play. And it was a case of a hard to learn offensive system with very green QBs.

If the offence cranks out 5,000 yards passing, with a vigorous run game as well, this fan will be delighted. And it seems to this fan that a QB other than Mike Reilly should also be able to run it.

This fan did not like the offence last year. And we hear that it is the same offence this year. We hear that the QBs must learn to read and make progressions. Maybe it is just too complex, taking away any instinctive play, aside from pull it down and run for your life. As with last year, our guys looked unsure, indecisive and preoccupied.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

We shall learn soon enough whether it was Jarious's offence or poor quarterbacking play. My gut tells me the playbook was sufficiently dumbed down today to allow for the quarterbacks to pick out receivers in vanilla sets and move the ball downfield, so it would be unfair to lay today's debacle at the feet of Jarious. I am anxious to see our 2nd preseason game!

It was also interesting to hear Farhan in the pre-game that Wally would nix some of Jarious's play calls last year, hinting that he wasn't given a free rein to run the offence the way he wanted to.

I am good with the broadcasting team. Moj and Giulio have developed a very good chemistry (I thought the Tank Landry story was quite amusing but he started to tell it against a break). Burnsie and Farhan will work well together and we'll get lots of expert opinions. Interesting to hear Chris Burns criticize the play of Boyko and tell us that Knevel should not be asked to play guard - he's a natural tackle. Karen will be great on the sidelines, but LU will be missed!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I know it is early, but so far, I am not seeing the lions win any games if Reilly goes down.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If any team had to be on the worry watch you'd have thunk it was the first string Eskimos.

This was purely an evaluation opportunity exercise and it sounded like that on radio. These are raw rookies for the most part.

No Lion back up has played at all recently and the game sounded like Ricky Lloyd was just living out that inexperience.

In the meantime maybe Kevin Glenn should be on the speed dealer in case of injury to Mike Reilly.

Guilio and the Moj were pretty clear - the offensive plays were simple as it was pre-season and the QBs had to make reads and good decisions. It isn't going to happen all at once.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon May 27, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
green road kill
Rookie

I totally agree with Hanbone ,let's just take a breath ,relax for a second before we put JJ on that short plank off the high bridge.

That was a totally rookie offence the Lions put on the field that had 6 days to get into camp lern a play bòok , have a hand shake ,and play a game . Plus Edmonton played there 1s well into the second quarter and even into the third. It does,nt matter what the Shmoes were doing ,it's still rookies playing vets. Do you think a few things like an O line , receivers , running backs , might have helped the QBs , maybe. If Edmontons 1s on D couldn't
Handle what we had on the field, there in big trouble.

Pluss KILLY GOO GOO or what ever his name is didn,t exactly light the world on fire against or rookie D, even with the time he had Edmonton 1s on O.

The Leo,s invested 3 million dollars in Mike Reilly you can bet he is going to have a pretty good say in what the offence looks like.H e did say 50 percent new.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dan Barnes of Postmedia covered the game and offered more quotes on the quarterbacking from DeVone Claybrooks and Ed Hervey. Hervey said the Lions could bring in a veteran QB if anything happened to Reilly.
“We’ve got to get better reads there, they’ve got to let the ball go, they’ve got to settle down and relax,” said head coach DeVone Claybrooks. “But you know, it’s the first pre-season game seven days (into camp), so we should get better.”
“We have several young guys, virtual unknowns, that’s why this game was extremely important for them,” Lions’ GM Ed Hervey said at halftime. “It kicks off the start of their opportunity to be the backup. You can never simulate this type of action in practice.”

“We feel our young guys can get it done once the game starts to slow down for them, but it’s very important for our fans and our coaches to understand that we’re in the process of developing young quarterbacks,” continued Hervey.
“We can’t always run to the recycle bin and grab someone for just in case. If there are guys out there and we had to make that move, we would make that move, if an injury (to Reilly) occurred. But at this juncture, we feel very confident in the fact that our young guys need the reps and if you bring a veteran in, the reps are stolen.”
“Do we expect them to be Mike Reilly or somebody who is a veteran’s calibre? No. But at the end of the day, they need to be functional in the offence and they have to be efficient,” said Hervey. “That’s what we expect from these quarterbacks as they continue to go through this evaluation process.”
Lions' would-be backup QBs go to school of hard knocks in loss to Eskimos
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Veteran QB if Reilly were harmed would have to be the calibre of a short termer like Kevin Glenn to have any chance.

In the Wally regime would Ricky Lloyd now 26 survive this TC unless he starts shooting some lights out.

I get it that the Lions want to get a back up developed and it sounds like Reilly who wants to play every down gets that too BUT will he share?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... to-eskimos

Ed Hervey, DeVone Claybrooks and Ricky Lloyd discuss the quarterbacking in the game.

The team has gone with one veteran, Mike Reilly, and three inexperienced young guys. IMO the jury is still out on Jarious Jackson's offence. Is it too hard to learn? Is it too predictable? Is it too hard to run? I think we all expect Mike Reilly to run it efficiently. Hervey does suggest that a veteran could be acquired if Mike gets dinged.

Hervey and Claybrooks quoted above by BCFAN.

"This is a very complex offence." -- Mike Reilly
“We’ve got a lot of work to do,” said Lloyd, who went three-for-six and emerged with the best percentage and the most passing yards, with 53. “We’ve got to get back into our playbooks and produce better, you know. It was a tough day out there for all three of us. It’s a big learning curve. In training camp it’s a slower pace. When you get out here it’s different and it’s something you have to get used to.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.