Rolly released :(

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I just finished the TC article where the GM says they want to get younger and he has said paying 130k for ST players is not what they want to do.

I get that BUT doing it now seems pretty harsh for another player who gave his heart and soul to this team.

Where's the class in the timing of these moves? Sol E. Rolly Lumbala?
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Bosco
Team Captain

This is not a classy move by the Lions.

Much like Solly's situation, if Hervey & Co. knew they were going to do this, why disrespect the player with the timing of the release??
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 pm
I just finished the TC article where the GM says they want to get younger and he has said paying 130k for ST players is not what they want to do.

I get that BUT doing it now seems pretty harsh for another player who gave his heart and should to this team.

Sometimes you have to pay for the intangibles like those possessed by Rolly. At the end of the day, I hope the plan has taken those skills into account and not left the club adrift in younger, cheaper players but no one to direct them.

And in the case of Rolly, a truly classy guy who is very good with the fans and the community at large.

If I see a tweet or any mention of him as an "asset" as opposed to a person, I am going to lose my sh*t.....
David
Team Captain

Not to excuse the timing of the release, but could it be that Hervey wanted to see if the SMS was going to increase (and by how much) before making a decision Rolly? Or see what they had in camp at FB behind Mackie to determine whether they could live without him?

Either way, we are losing one of our very best leaders. Two of them in two weeks. That stings. Best of luck to Rolly!!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

I would have to guess that the Boyko signing was a factor in this...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mackie can replace Rolly on the field but probably not in the room. Given Hervey's desire to get younger and cheaper, it's a smart move from a bean-counter's standpoint. But the optics of releasing Solly and Rolly after they had been leaders of the players' association bargaining team aren't good, and the loss of leadership in the room could be the biggest downside. DeVone Claybrooks correctly says the Lions were inconsistent last year. Others have widely attributed that inconsistency to the loss of veteran leadership in recent years. The team just didn't show up at key times. There will be a much bigger leadership void to fill this year. Mike Reilly can't do it all.

Brett Boyko effectively takes Lumbala's spot on the 75-man training camp roster.
May 17, 2019
Released FB Rolly Lumbala (N)

May 16, 2019
Sign OL Brett Boyko (N)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 pm
Not to excuse the timing of the release, but could it be that Hervey wanted to see if the SMS was going to increase (and by how much) before making a decision Rolly? Or see what they had in camp at FB behind Mackie to determine whether they could live without him?

Either way, we are losing one of our very best leaders. Two of them in two weeks. That stings. Best of luck to Rolly!!

DH :cool:
I think that the Boyko signing created a bit of a SMS problem and releasing Rolly was part of solving the problem. Lions are probably pretty happy with Mackie and would expect him to take a bigger role and perhaps a bigger role in the O, so more than a blocker when he gets on the field as a FB.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm
This is not a classy move by the Lions.

Much like Solly's situation, if Hervey & Co. knew they were going to do this, why disrespect the player with the timing of the release??
I think that most players, specially vets, understand that there are business and tactical issues that play into the events and timings that have nothing to do with lack of respect for them, as players or as individuals
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If people thought Wally was cut throat, it seems Ed is even more so. I am not surprised Rolly is gone, but am surprised it happened before training camp than after. I am not impressed by Ed Hervey. He may be building a good team here, but he is treating long time Lions poorly with no respect. First Solly and now Rolly. It is an insult to Rolly to cut him 2 days before training camp. Why did he not cut him 2 or 3 months ago. Another player who gave his heart and soul to the Lions and just throw aside only 2 days before camp, unlikely to catch on with another team at this late stage.

Sorry to see Rolly go and not even given a chance to compete.

Hope he catches on with another team, but likely will retire. Thank you Rolly for your years of service.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 pm

I get that BUT doing it now seems pretty harsh for another player who gave his heart and should to this team.

I totally agree. There is no class and respect for the players doing this. He could have cut Rolly months ago. This could affect bringing in free agents here in the future. It is also bad karma. Ed Hervey may become another Mike Gillis, very unpopular among the fans and easy to fire if the team flops this year. His contract up at the end of the season.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Most likely an SMS move. But once again the way Hervey handled this situation makes it seem like there is real difference in how the GM handles "Wally's guys" vs. ex-Eskimos. Hopefully Claybrooks is going to be the type of coach guys love to play for, because our GM is going to make it difficult to attract players.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sad news. Great guy. Team leader.

Fare thee well, Rolly.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Probably a combination of all the factors mentioned. Salary could play a part. When Boyko was signed somebody had to be released. They drafted another NAT FB in Villamizar. Perhaps he showed enough in rookie camp that they think they have a player. Those are late developments that took place in just the past 2 weeks. They still have Mackie, Moore and potentially Villamizar to fill a FB/special teams role.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As others have noted, cutting Lumbala on the eve of training camp is a classless move. It will make Lumbala trying to catch on with another team that much more difficult, given the other teams have already maxed out on their training roster.