2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MikeAK
All Star

Yep. I noticed a few days ago that the Lions had pulled the "replicas" from the team store. Good on them for doing the right thing but I just wish they had done it from the get go instead of waiting until this gained momentum via social media. A saw a few people had even contacted local news outlets so I have no doubts the team had received calls for comments. Could have all been avoided if they had just owned it from the get go. At least things are being corrected.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I saw a thread on Esksfans that seemed to indicate there may have been a similar issue with the first New Era replicas being basically the Adidas version with a New Era logo. I don't know if theirs were really changing much other than a minor tweak or two that only the trained eye would catch.
http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showthrea ... ra-Jerseys
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Great news. And if all goes well I'll be getting one of those when they come out. However, it still seems like they are keeping this a little under the radar. They sent that directly to someone, but I don't see a public post. The jerseys are definitely gone from the online shop. Hopefully anyone who bought one of the others has been made aware of this.
BC 1988
Legend

What this non-replica replica debacle shows is a lack of QC on the part of the Lions. The jerseys were allowed out into the wild before they had been checked. Of course the late release date for the official unis may have factored into that, but it's no excuse. I'm sure the teams knew the final design well in advance of that date.

By contrast, it looks like OTT intercepted their replica error before that happened--there aren't any examples of disgruntled OTT customers out there.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:53 pm
What this non-replica replica debacle shows is a lack of QC on the part of the Lions. The jerseys were allowed out into the wild before they had been checked. Of course the late release date for the official unis may have factored into that, but it's no excuse. I'm sure the teams knew the final design well in advance of that date.

By contrast, it looks like OTT intercepted their replica error before that happened--there aren't any examples of disgruntled OTT customers out there.
I think I'd put the blame mostly on the CFL. They are the ones who would have orchestrated the whole process that delivered the jerseys to the Lions and the other 8 clubs. If the Lions are to be criticized it's for the way they've chosen to try fixing the problem the CFL allowed to happen.

The one question I've had is did the CFL finalize the design of the new game jerseys before the orders were placed for the replicas or were the replica orders placed based on last year's designs while the CFL continued to work on a final design for the game jerseys? It's strange that Montreal unveiled their new jersey and logo design back in the first week of February and those new versions are available at their online store. Yet for the other 8 clubs nobody knew if there would be any changes until just a couple weeks ago. That has me thinking tweaks to the game jerseys were not in place when the replicas were ordered.
dtrain
Starter

The lesson learned here: the league (excluding Als) should have just made NO alterations to any of the jersey designs for 2019, as originally announced, unless it was something simple like swapping number colours, as the Leos did on the road unis, or their other tweak of adding an outline to the numbers.

Personally the updates to the jersey are not enough to make me want to purchase a new one as I always have in the past, I have an Adidas home jersey and the 2019 versions are too similar to merit having an almost identical one in the collection.

Looking forward to seeing the new unis, lids, Reilly, DC and Co. tonight!
MikeAK
All Star

dtrain wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm
Personally the updates to the jersey are not enough to make me want to purchase a new one as I always have in the past, I have an Adidas home jersey and the 2019 versions are too similar to merit having an almost identical one in the collection.
The thing is though that the new design isn't very similar at all. If you look a few posts ago I posted a twitter picture from somebody with a new jersey in hand compared to the new 2019 design and they are actually quite different which is why so many people weren't very happy about it. If we're talking color than yeah it's similar in that they're both orange but other than that almost every aspect of the 2019 jersey is completely different... and from what I've read even the color may be different as there have been reports of a different shade of burnt orange is used this year but I can't find any official conformation on that. Either way. there really isn't anything similar about this years jerseys that I can see.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm
dtrain wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm
The thing is though that the new design isn't very similar at all. If you look a few posts ago I posted a twitter picture from somebody with a new jersey in hand compared to the new 2019 design and they are actually quite different which is why so many people weren't very happy about it. If we're talking color than yeah it's similar in that they're both orange but other than that almost every aspect of the 2019 jersey is completely different... and from what I've read even the color may be different as there have been reports of a different shade of burnt orange is used this year but I can't find any official conformation on that. Either way. there really isn't anything similar about this years jerseys that I can see.
In the pic that was earlier in this thread the orange looked much different between what is supposedly the game jersey versus the replica. However it was also very obvious that the lighting was much different like one was taken indoors and the other outdoors in natural light. That can make the orange look much different.
MikeAK
All Star

I agree with you, Hambone. The lighting will have a major effect on the actual coloring. Other than that though, if I'm totally honest about it, I don't see a lot of similarities between this years and last years jersey other than color. From top down they look completely different. My opinion though, i'm getting older and have had my share of warm flat beers at BC place so I could be completely off base here.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:53 pm

I think I'd put the blame mostly on the CFL. They are the ones who would have orchestrated the whole process that delivered the jerseys to the Lions and the other 8 clubs. If the Lions are to be criticized it's for the way they've chosen to try fixing the problem the CFL allowed to happen.

The one question I've had is did the CFL finalize the design of the new game jerseys before the orders were placed for the replicas or were the replica orders placed based on last year's designs while the CFL continued to work on a final design for the game jerseys? It's strange that Montreal unveiled their new jersey and logo design back in the first week of February and those new versions are available at their online store. Yet for the other 8 clubs nobody knew if there would be any changes until just a couple weeks ago. That has me thinking tweaks to the game jerseys were not in place when the replicas were ordered.
I agree that was the root cause of the issue, and the league left the clubs (apart from MTL who had ample time for their total redo) high and dry. The difference was how a bad situation was handled by each club.

Word of the BC uni "leak" was back on Feb 13 (which turned out to be accurate-complete with the new nameplate area design on the back, but no orange cage on the helmet).

That there are issues with other clubs as well indicates an early assumption that New Era would not make any noticeable changes in year one (and there was a late decision to tweek them).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 pm
I agree with you, Hambone. The lighting will have a major effect on the actual coloring. Other than that though, if I'm totally honest about it, I don't see a lot of similarities between this years and last years jersey other than color. From top down they look completely different. My opinion though, i'm getting older and have had my share of warm flat beers at BC place so I could be completely off base here.
I was just looking at pictures from last year and tonight. If one is look at the front of the jersey the only thing noticeably different is the numbers have white trim and you can see the Lion logos that used to be the tramp stamp are now on top of the shoulders. Even the sponsor logos for Kal Tire and Telus are the same. Different lighting might make the orange look different because as one can see the black on Odell's helmet looks different than the black on Reilly's helmet. It's the back of the jersey where that are more noticeable differences. Last year the back was similar to the front with the black only being on the shoulder areas. Name bars were black on an orange background. This year the black comes down lower to go across the upper back with the name being now orange on a black background. That is probably the biggest difference from last year. Like the front numbers have a white trim this year and the tramp stamp is gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I so totally hate the uniforms worn tonight. Almost turned the game off in disgust.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
MikeAK
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 pm
I so totally hate the uniforms worn tonight. Almost turned the game off in disgust.
We all have our own flavor for sure. I actually like our uni's this season except for the orange pants. For home games if they would use black pants with orange socks I think our uni's would be in the running for best in league. As far as I'm concerned our helmets this season are the best in league. We just need to tweak the lower half and they will be great.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

it didn't help tonight that the Stamps wore their red jerseys. That's an awful combo. I still think black pants are best but I can handle the orange once in a while.
CardiacKid
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 pm
Time to dig out that old b&w CRT TV.