2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MikeAK
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:11 am
MikeAK wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:33 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Apparently the Lions will NOT duplicate the corrective actions of the RedBlacks and will continue selling the current iteration of the jersey. According to the back and forth on BC Lions Den twitter feed.
That's disappointing to be sure. That they would continue to knowingly sell a false product to their fans is an incredible low thing to do. Oh how things have changed.

I guess I'll just hold off until next year and see what the reported re-designs look like.
Somewhat sad (and a little alarming) the Lions aren't willing to eat the cost on the initial order of replicas and neither is New Era to get it right. I hate to say it but no way this would happen with one of the big 4 sports leagues and it would likely be the manufacturer going all out to make sure their new client is happy with the end product. But we're not talking about potential millions in jersey sales either.

It's one thing buying a knockoff jersey for $39.99 at Walmart that isn't 100 percent identical. It's another when it's sold by the club for $175.
I agree. I'm just surprised by the whole situation. It looks even worse that another CFL team has come right out and said this is wrong and that they're correcting it while others are trying to pretend there is no issue. It's almost like they're waiting to see if this gains traction or not before they deal with it.

I wish the local media would pick up on this because I find this entire situation to be shady and bush league. The CFL should be called out for it. No way would we see this from any other league regardless of stature.

When a team sells an official "replica" you expect it to be better than what you'd find off the shelf of a department store or wherever. Especially at a premium price of $200.

Actually, for the first time ever I bet the knockoffs will be more of a representation of the true jersey than what is currently being sold through the team.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I still have not seen anything directly from the Lions admitting they are aware of the problem and are not going to do anything about it.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 am
Brian at BC LIons Den:
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
For those complaining about the new jerseys matching the players. There was a timing issue getting new templates to the overseas manufacturer and not all elements could be added in time. #BCLions #NewEraCanada #CFL
Man, I love my team but this just can't happen. So New Era is actually off the hook-up since they didn't get the specifics in time to send to the overseas manufacturer? How does this happen when the off season is 6 months long and the New Era deal was announced last September? We're also not talking about $20 t-shirts either.
Fans like Zarquon that pre-ordered need to have an option of being full refunded or credited for the correct version when I take it they get it right in 2020.

I take it the road replicas are at least correct?
When dealing with overseas supply chain 6 months can be a very tight window if something is newly designed or redesigned. New Era, the CFL and the teams all have to go through the exercise of design and developing the specs and approving them. Then they have to get specs to the manufacturer who in turn likely has to make up some samples for final approval. Orders then have to be placed and put into the queue for manufacture. It's not like those manufacturers are sitting there playing cards waiting for the phone to ring with an order. The CFL would have to wait their turn. To save on overall costs goods would likely be shipped via container ship possibly with all initial orders for all CFL teams coordinated to be in the same container(s) to reduce shipping costs.

Zarquon would be the best judge as he has one in his hands. When I look at the Lions store the only noticeable thing I could pick out was that they aren't offering the numbers on the shoulders. The number 00 does leave things open to debate when it comes to the number font. There could be a difference there too. Otherwise it looks like they can be ordered customized including the option to have the sponsor patches. When it comes to the numbering I don't know if that is a manufacturer or New Era problem or Lions problem. Do they get New Era to build the replica jerseys to order or does the club supply the basic jersey and outsource the addition of name, numbers and sponsor patches locally?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MikeAK
All Star

That's a little more than just numbers missing from the shoulders. I'd be pretty freakn mad if I ordered a Reilly jersey and got this in return.

Regardless of the reasons or excuses these never should have been sold as replicas and certainly not at a premium $200 tag. These look nothing like what will be on the field this season. This guy has a Reilly jersey which the player has never worn and never will.

This is exactly why the Redblacks have removed theirs from the store until they can get correct stock. These are really bad.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

why are they dealing with overseas anyhow?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

I agree these BC "replicas" are anything but. The Lions should offer either partial refunds or the full amount--IMO these are only worth about $40. Customers are not getting anywhere near their moneys worth at full price.

Has anyone been able to find pics of how egregious the OTT replicas were? (It was smart of them to show the soothing puppy pics instead).
David
Team Captain

The Lions new guerilla marketing campaign. Pasted on lamp posts, empty storefronts, and construction sites around town.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Nothing Rhymes With Orange.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 pm
The Lions new guerilla marketing campaign. Pasted on lamp posts, empty storefronts, and construction sites around town.

Of the images of the player's faces used in those posters and on the Lion's website, I am wondering why they opted to use a picture of Duron Carter that has him looking like he is passing a kidney stone the size of a kicking tee?

Otherwise I like the look and if they came out on a t-shirt, I would totally buy it.
David
Team Captain

I saw this one back in mid-April. A little less esoteric. The previous campaign is edgier for a younger demo. This is for a more traditional target demo.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Zarquon
Champion

Just an update on my jersey saga. The Lions have taken the jersey back and refunded me my cost (including shipping.) . It doesn't look like the lions are planning on changing anything in the short term. Also note the Calgary Road jerseys have the exact same issue and they are stil selling them.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 pm
My season tickets arrived in the mail today. The ticket cards feature a drawing of a random player in the new uniform with orange jersey and matching pants. The only freebie I noticed is a pair of tickets to the June 7 preseason game.
Received my season tickets this afternoon. Is it too much to expect a pocket size schedule ? Lions have gone cheap in recent years.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Check the Calgary store again. I only see the home New Era Jersey. After that it looks like an older one.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Zarquon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm
Just an update on my jersey saga. The Lions have taken the jersey back and refunded me my cost (including shipping.) . It doesn't look like the lions are planning on changing anything in the short term. Also note the Calgary Road jerseys have the exact same issue and they are stil selling them.
Good on the club. Safe to say New Era's initial splash into the replica jersey market hasn't gone too well.
It's a shame as I am sure the Lions were counting on their jersey sales to pick up significantly this year with the new and improved look. Instead they are somewhat stuck with this initial order and probably in no position to eat the cost of it. The vast majority want it right when you are paying $200 for the product.

Pretty sure the supplier would be bending over backwards to make their new client happy if this is one of the four big sports league in North America. A nine-team league in a country not as big as California seems to be a different story. Ambrosie might be telling us this is another reason the league needs more global leverage with his CFL 2 initiative.
CardiacKid
Legend

Zarquon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:44 pm
A further update re. the non-replica, “replica” jerseys.

Apparently the Lions have altered course and will be offering a relaunch of the New Era jerseys in July. According to BC Lions Den, who received notification from an unhappy purchaser of the initial jersey who was in communication with the club, a more representative jersey is currently in production.