2019 BC Lions Free Agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm
I wonder if Manny will end up in Ottawa? He has good chemistry with Jennings. I still believe that Manny was one of the leading voices in 2015 that was calling for Jennings to get a shot instead of Beck. His effort improved immediately as soon as Jennings took over.

Yes Manny is coming off a major injury, but with no signing bonuses being paid there is no financial risk to taking a guy who may not be 100% healthy in time for training camp.
Oops, never mind. Manny just signed in Saskatchewan!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Garry Peters has re-signed with the Lions. Solid move should pretty well complete the secondary. I'd still like to see Otha Foster re-signed.
“Garry’s return along with T.J. Lee’s extension and the addition of Aaron Grymes and Josh Woodman gives us a very strong starting point in the secondary,” said GM Ed Hervey. “We still have some work to do but we’re creating a very strong group back there.”
DEFENSIVE BACK GARRY PETERS RE-SIGNS FOR 2019
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This says the Manny show is off the air in Regina until mid season!
https://3downnation.com/2019/02/15/ride ... arceneaux/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

So Ed resigns another one of his own, but not one of Wally's boys. It seems he is letting most of them go. Goodbye Rolly, Cody, Shaq etc. Surprised no one has signed Cody Husband or Shaq Johnson. Rolly likely will retire, Think Mackie will take his place this year.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lumbala was a pleasure to watch during his career, he more than anyone in recent years wore the Lion uniform with pride, IMO.

First guy in to protect his teammate, doing the hard work on ST's, and doing the unsung protection as the FB for our QB's. Add to that the leadership on and off the field, he reminds of the way the game was once played by men, not prima donnas that run rampant in the game today.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rolly Lumbala is not a free agent. He is under contract for this year and will likely retire as a Lion when his time comes.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Best wishes to Manny.

I liked the work done by Otha Foster last year. Don't know if Ed will try to keep him here.

Both CBs gone. Rose and Orange. I thought they played well. Nice names too. Ha ha

A Rose by any other name. Same could be said for Mr. Orange.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:26 pm
Best wishes to Manny.

I liked the work done by Otha Foster last year. Don't know if Ed will try to keep him here.

Both CBs gone. Rose and Orange. I thought they played well. Nice names too. Ha ha

I think Chris Edwards was brought in to replace Otha Foster. I too liked how Foster played, but he's 30 and Edwards is 26 so I think that's why Ed made that decision.

We still have another hole at cornerback, at rush end, and I still say another receiver would be nice though it appears all the big names there have been locked up. My guess is we're probably done with anyone who's a big name and we'll probably just recruit to fill out the rest of the roster.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions still have Steffon Herd under contract. He got a long look as Foster's backup at nickelback during camp last year and had an interception in preseason. He was activated for one regular-season game on special teams.
CardiacKid
Legend

Chris Ackie would a nice pickup....he is still available.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:23 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:26 pm
Best wishes to Manny.

I think Chris Edwards was brought in to replace Otha Foster. I too liked how Foster played, but he's 30 and Edwards is 26 so I think that's why Ed made that decision.

We still have another hole at cornerback, at rush end, and I still say another receiver would be nice though it appears all the big names there have been locked up. My guess is we're probably done with anyone who's a big name and we'll probably just recruit to fill out the rest of the roster.
I agree with Ed that we have a good foundation in the secondary. Lee. Peters. Grymes. We also have Herd and FA signing Woodman.

Thompson was athletic at Safety, but rarely got into the play. Too deep for one thing, but he also lacked instincts, imo. Looks like Ed has Woodman in line for that job.

Things are moving along pretty well. FA camps and the guys already on our roster will probably be the source of our INT receivers. NFL experience is usually advantageous.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

CardiacKid
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm
Lumbala was a pleasure to watch during his career, he more than anyone in recent years wore the Lion uniform with pride, IMO.

First guy in to protect his teammate, doing the hard work on ST's, and doing the unsung protection as the FB for our QB's. Add to that the leadership on and off the field, he reminds of the way the game was once played by men, not prima donnas that run rampant in the game today.
Rolly reminds me of a mama bear protecting her cubs, never thinking of himself. Just thinking of the team.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I saw this quote (below) from Jim Popp yesterday, and noticed today that Lulay's name has finally been removed from the Lions' roster (it's been there till now). This could be merely coincidental cleanup, but I'm thinking not, and tensing my gut for a body blow via the media any moment. I'm (unrealistically I know) still hoping Travis could remain here with us somehow, but... “Travis is a guy that has worked with our offensive coordinator (and) our line coach. Travis has to do what’s best for him and his family. We’ve discussed that. We don’t know how real it is, but it’s been a discussion the entire time as a possibility if we didn’t land a Bo Levi Mitchell.” - Jim Popp
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Travis moves on to another team, this fan will be unhappy.

So many injuries. So many recoveries. So many great memories for the fans. So loyal to the team.

2011. MOP. Grey Cup MVP.

It is lookiing like it will happen. It will be very hard to take. He is one of the all-time Lions. If he moves on, I do expect he will be back at some point as a coach.

BC 1988
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 pm
I saw this quote (below) from Jim Popp yesterday, and noticed today that Lulay's name has finally been removed from the Lions' roster (it's been there till now). This could be merely coincidental cleanup, but I'm thinking not, and tensing my gut for a body blow via the media any moment. I'm (unrealistically I know) still hoping Travis could remain here with us somehow, but... “Travis is a guy that has worked with our offensive coordinator (and) our line coach. Travis has to do what’s best for him and his family. We’ve discussed that. We don’t know how real it is, but it’s been a discussion the entire time as a possibility if we didn’t land a Bo Levi Mitchell.” - Jim Popp
Similar quote from Popp in this interview transcript from Wednesday
https://3downnation.com/2019/02/13/argo ... was-great/
I'd say the Argos would be most likely for Travis to end up. It's probably not going to work in BC because there isn't enough $$$ left in the budget to afford him (at least as a player, maybe it would work when he's ready to move into coaching).

Another interesting bit from the article is how much control player agent Dan Vertlieb potentially has on which qb goes where.