2019 BC Lions Free Agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Jennings would be an unlikely starter in Calgary as but he might fare better there as a back up. But he's not a Calgary type QB in that both Hufnagel and Dickenson - both QBs - are more attracted to those into the deep end of football. It definitely suggests he doesn't feel the love in BC but I doubt if he lands in Calgary, they'd be tossing him in as no. 1 as they don't do that there. Even when they had Kevin Glenn there it for his football play and acumen.

Listen to Bo on Dave Dickenson post GC win:
Calgary Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell said Sunday he was thrilled to win the Grey Cup championship for coach Dave Dickenson, calling him the “smartest coach out there.”

This past off season Jennings spent the off season not focused on how his passes weren't sailing into open REC arms but on building his mental confidence. To me that showed a misunderstanding of the issue. I thought that even before the nervy Ed Hervey suggested his QB didn't do the work he'd seen coming from other top QBs he's known as a player, scout and GM.

Compare that to Bo Levi Mitchel when given the advice after the 2013 season where he replaced the injured Kevin Glenn successfully by then OC Dave Dickenson. Coming back in 2014 the Stamps were going to name him or Drew Tate as starter and he spent a month of his time and his OWN MONEY working with Garcia and learning how to be a pro QB. This story shows how BLM thinks.

My take on Jennings is that he's incredibly talented and has a ton of potential but he has to focus less on mind set and more on the football as these QBs do work for their money. Hey, I may be wrong in Jennings but Ed Hervey says something worse than this.

I just thought Jennings spent this past off season working on the wrong thing.
Mitchell, a generation removed from the 44-year-old Garcia, spent a month at the Jeff Garcia Passing Academy in San Diego earlier this year sharpening his skills under the supervision of the school’s namesake in an effort to nail down the starting job with the Stampeders.

He must be some teacher.

Mitchell is 4-0 as a starting quarterback this season and 7-0 for his career, one win removed from setting a mark for the most consecutive wins by a QB to start a CFL career. In a wonderful piece of coincidence, Mitchell currently shares the distinction of seven straight wins with Garcia.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/calg ... story.html
Mitchell went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft. On April 30, 2012, the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League signed Mitchell to a free agent contract.[3] Mitchell saw limited playing time in the 2012 CFL season, playing as a 3rd-string backup behind Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn and ahead of Brad Sinopoli. Bo Levi Mitchell began the 2013 CFL season as the 3rd-string QB. Mitchell came on in the third-quarter after Kevin Glenn left with an injury (Drew Tate was already injured) and helped the Stamps to overcome a 24-point deficit to defeat the Alouettes on July 22, 2013.[4]

In his first CFL start, on July 26, 2013, Mitchell completed 29 of 33 attempts while passing for 376 yards, in a big win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Mitchell won the Gibson's Finest Offensive Player of the Week for this performance. The 2013 season proved to be a breakout season for Mitchell. He played significant time at quarterback in 5 of the games, and appeared in another 7 games. His completion percentage was an impressive 69.6%, throwing for 1,156 yards with 10 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions: a quarterback rating of 111.2.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Spud387
Champion

squishy35 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am

BLM goes to the NFL; Jennings signs in Calgary and the Stamps don't lose a beat winning the GC next year too...
HAHAHAHHA :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have a real comedian here.

Jennings has the raw skills, but time and time again once teams prepare for him when he is starting he woefully under performs. Part of this poor performance is definitely our team composition, but we've seen enough of Jennings across the seasons to see a trend. He has flashes in relief work, but teams seem to counter him shortly after when they prepare. Could he surprise us and burn us while on another team, making us look like fools? Sure, but I believe the odds of that happening are much less than him simply being a backup or fizzling out.
The_Pauser
Legend

squishy35 wrote:

BLM goes to the NFL; Jennings signs in Calgary and the Stamps don't lose a beat winning the GC next year too...
Jennings is nowhere near as good as BLM. Calgary most certainly would miss a beat, and likely wouldn't be nearly as good as they are this year. Losing BLM, and also likely losing Eric Rogers, that team will take a step back.

My guess is Calgary would target Collaros before Jennings though.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 am
squishy35 wrote:

Jennings is nowhere near as good as BLM. Calgary most certainly would miss a beat, and likely wouldn't be nearly as good as they are this year. Losing BLM, and also likely losing Eric Rogers, that team will take a step back.

My guess is Calgary would target Collaros before Jennings though.
While BLM has been a constant for the last 3 years people have been predicting Calgary will take a stumble and it hasn't happened. Doesn't seem to matter who they lose in the offseason or due to injury like the old Timex slogan they take a licking and keep on ticking. Heck Huf and Dickenson made Kevin Glenn look like a legit top tier starter instead of the career journeyman he's been so don't sell them short on what they might be able to do with Jennings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if Collaros calls it a day. The last few years have not been kind in terms of his fall from grace. Plus the accumulated concussions have to be weighing upon him.

I am not sure a CFL GM would be willing to take a chance on him as a projected starter. I am thinking GMs would be okay with him as a backup but would he be okay with that?

Personally, I hope the Lions are not entertaining thoughts of signing him.
CardiacKid
Legend

Lloyd, Bennett and Ogundeko have re-signed.

Hervey is taking it 3 FAs at a time......
squishy35
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Lloyd is intriguing. The Lions are still safe at QB with Travis and Cody. I am keen to see how Lloyd performs in TC next year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:39 pm
The Lions are still safe at QB with Travis and Cody.
Both of whom are also pending FAs. Personally I'm not sold on Fajardo as being anything more than a journeyman backup who is a better than average QB sneak artist. Travis I don't have a gauge on but think it's probably a toss-up between playing or retiring to a coaching role in 2019.

For now Lloyd is the only BC QB under contract for 2019. Like yourself I'm also intrigued by him but then what fanbase intrigued by the guy at the bottom of the depth chart. He certainly didn't look out of place when I stopped at training camp this year, probably as good if not better than any of the new-to-the-CFL QBs I've seen at camp in the past 5 years.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This CFL fan wishes Jonathon Jennings well. Give him the right environment, and he should be able to do very well. 2016 was not a mirage.

2018-11-27_1618.png
5,226 yards, 67%, 27 TDs, 15 Ints, 102.1 QB rating. Not a mirage. There are some outstanding OCs and QB coaches in this league that will be interested in trying to bring out that level of performance once again. And I will be rooting for Jennings. :thup:

Not going to debate his merits or perceived shortcomings. I am a fan of the player and the man. Go get 'em, Jon. Shoot the lights out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Dusty
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 pm
This CFL fan wishes Jonathon Jennings well. Give him the right environment, and he should be able to do very well. 2016 was not a mirage.

2018-11-27_1618.png

5,226 yards, 67%, 27 TDs, 15 Ints, 102.1 QB rating. Not a mirage. There are some outstanding OCs and QB coaches in this league that will be interested in trying to bring out that level of performance once again. And I will be rooting for Jennings. :thup:

Not going to debate his merits or perceived shortcomings. I am a fan of the player and the man. Go get 'em, Jon. Shoot the lights out.
Ditto! I can really see Jon thriving on another team or with another HC/OC combination our current two. Alas, with him being so heavily involved in the blame game here, I can understand why his days here are done.

I really think he will come back to haunt BC over the next 5 years. I also think that taking a chance on a concussion prone player like Collaros would be unwise.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jennings has just posted a thoughtful tribute on social media to his late father, whose funeral is scheduled for Monday. No matter what his strengths and weaknesses as a quarterback, he is a character guy who probably deserves a fresh start with another team.
squishy35
Legend

Per CFL.CA Odell Willis has been signed to a contract extension.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Odell Willis has re-signed for 2019. I wasn't sure if he was a priority for the Lions, given his age and cap hit.
The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international defensive lineman Odell Willis has agreed to a contract for the 2019 season.

Willis joined the Leos by way of trade with the Ottawa RedBlacks prior to the 2018 campaign and went on to appear in all 18 regular season games notching 22 defensive stops and a team-high 11 sacks.

“Odell was a productive and important addition to our defence this year and securing his return for 2019 is excellent news for our team and our fans,” said GM Ed Hervey.

The 10-year CFL vet pushed his career totals to 173 regular season appearances with 240 defensive stops and 97 sacks.

“We obviously did not end the season the way wanted but from the beginning of the year through to the final week we came together as a team, said Willis. “I cannot wait to get back on the field next year and be a part of what Ed is putting together here in BC.”
ODELL WILLIS SET TO RETURN TO BC LIONS IN 2019
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:42 pm
Odell Willis has re-signed for 2019. I wasn't sure if he was a priority for the Lions, given his age and cap hit.
The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international defensive lineman Odell Willis has agreed to a contract for the 2019 season.

Willis joined the Leos by way of trade with the Ottawa RedBlacks prior to the 2018 campaign and went on to appear in all 18 regular season games notching 22 defensive stops and a team-high 11 sacks.

“Odell was a productive and important addition to our defence this year and securing his return for 2019 is excellent news for our team and our fans,” said GM Ed Hervey.

The 10-year CFL vet pushed his career totals to 173 regular season appearances with 240 defensive stops and 97 sacks.

“We obviously did not end the season the way wanted but from the beginning of the year through to the final week we came together as a team, said Willis. “I cannot wait to get back on the field next year and be a part of what Ed is putting together here in BC.”
ODELL WILLIS SET TO RETURN TO BC LIONS IN 2019
Odell had a great year. It makes sense to keep him in the fold for another season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

I was thinking keep in mind these 3 are not part of the original list of 34 pending FAs. These are guys who were on the PR thus not considered pending FAs effective 2nd Tuesday in February. I think teams have a limited number of days post-GC to sign the guys who ended the season on the PR to new deals or they become FAs. As for the list of pending FAs I think Odell is the only one who has been re-signed to date. Herdman was already under contract for 2019 when he received his extension. So 1 down 33 more to deal with.