Semi-Final Games, November 11, 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

An interesting plan for the BC/Hamilton game concerning Remembrance Day, i.e. a pause in the action at 11 a.m. PST. I wonder if this is a first. I don't recollect anything similar in previous years/decades. Perhaps a situation quite like this has never transpired what with our west coast team playing in that Eastern time zone on Nov. 11th.
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/08/cfl-issue ... eremonies/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm
An interesting plan for the BC/Hamilton game concerning Remembrance Day, i.e. a pause in the action at 11 a.m. PST. I wonder if this is a first. I don't recollect anything similar in previous years/decades. Perhaps a situation quite like this has never transpired what with our west coast team playing in that Eastern time zone on Nov. 11th.
Randy Ambrosie doesn’t hesitate to make decisions. Kudos to the league for responding to concerns from B.C. fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Randy Ambrosie doesn’t hesitate to make decisions. Kudos to the league for responding to concerns from B.C. fans.
Ambrosie seems to be making many good moves.

Credit to Figaro for raising this concern on here.

I do recall years ago, being at the Lions' practice facility on what must have been Remembrance Day. At the right time practice stopped, or maybe it was even before practice started (I do not recall); a service was being performed across the street at the Legion. I recall Wally Buono and Ricky Foley standing nearby. I do not recall if all the players crossed the street to be close to the service (That might have been too invasive). It was certainly a break from the normal routine of practice, and it was very nice, very respectful.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I applaud the decision by the league. :thup: :thup:
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 pm
I do recall years ago, being at the Lions' practice facility on what must have been Remembrance Day. At the right time practice stopped, or maybe it was even before practice started (I do not recall); a service was being performed across the street at the Legion. I recall Wally Buono and Ricky Foley standing nearby. I do not recall if all the players crossed the street to be close to the service (That might have been too invasive). It was certainly a break from the normal routine of practice, and it was very nice, very respectful.
Wasn't there a hub-bub a couple of years ago in which someone passed by the Leos facility at 11:00am on Remembrance Day and the players were all practicing and music was blaring? I seem to recall the club in damage control when he blew the whistle, saying they observed inside the facility prior to practice, but that they would review this policy and ensure they observed it at the correct time in future. I could definitely see Foley doing that. He seems very principled. Wally too.

For some reason, Remembrance Day doesn't seem to resonate as much in Ontario (outside Ottawa at least). It's not even a stat holiday there. I recall having to be on a conference call with the Toronto office for work on 11/11. Well, 11:00am came and went and nobody on the call stopped to observe or even mentioned it!!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:31 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 pm
Wasn't there a hub-bub a couple of years ago in which someone passed by the Leos facility at 11:00am on Remembrance Day and the players were all practicing and music was blaring? I seem to recall the club in damage control when he blew the whistle, saying they observed inside the facility prior to practice, but that they would review this policy and ensure they observed it at the correct time in future. I could definitely see Foley doing that. He seems very principled. Wally too.

For some reason, Remembrance Day doesn't seem to resonate as much in Ontario (outside Ottawa at least). It's not even a stat holiday there. I recall having to be on a conference call with the Toronto office for work on 11/11. Well, 11:00am came and went and nobody on the call stopped to observe or even mentioned it!!

DH :cool:
One of the good/bad things about Canadians is that we are so casual. Not bible thumpers. Not militaristic. Not thumping the chest nationalistic. But we are a very good nation, filled with good people and a wonderful, embracing, peaceful culture. I appreciate that fact more and more as time goes by.

I wear the poppy. I once applied to our services in the Direct Entry Officer Program. The process took 6 months. When the offer came, I had moved on in my plans. I have read quite a bit about different wars. I would actually like to visit sites where Canadians fought in WWI (called The Great War at the time) and WWII. I would like to see Flanders Field and pay my respects.

All that we can do to honour our Canadians who serve or have served I am all in favour. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
I actually wrote to the CFL about this matter this morning and received a response saying that they had released this information regarding Remembrance Day this very day.

To be honest, it sounds a lot like they starting taking heat for their planning and suddenly came up with a solution that kind of addressed the issue.

"Hi Trevor;

Thanks for reaching out; we appreciate you taking the time to write us with your concerns.

We will join our fellow Canadians in Remembrance Day ceremonies Sunday morning. And we look forward to also honouring our veterans, whose sacrifice has made it possible for us to assemble freely, prior to and during our playoff games in the afternoon. All of our players will sport poppy decals on their helmets, and the game will be paused at 2pm ET/11 am ET for a moment of silence. We developed these protocols with Veterans’ Affairs Canada, and this afternoon we released a statement regarding our plans, which you can find here: https://press.cfl.ca/a-statement-from-t ... gue-199374

Thank you for being a fan.
Best,
-c"

And while I appreciate that they responded so quickly, it doesn't really mitigate the fact that they had a whole season or more to prepare for this. True they wouldn't have known who was in the East Semi but they should have had a contingency just in case or scheduled it in such as way that it wouldn't be a conflict at all. It is inappropriate to take this particular event lightly and is equally perplexing given that the CFL usually goes out of it's way to recognize our service men and women at this time of year. Something that is quite commendable imo. The ultimate conclusion that I draw is that no sporting event should be in competition with this particular date/time if it is at all avoidable. Fans shouldn't have to choose between remembering the fallen and supporting their sports team. Casually/carelessly scheduling a sporting event during a time when we are all supposed to be reflecting on how lucky we are to live in this country and how grateful we should be to those who died helping make it is simply myopic.

Maybe I feel more strongly about this than some but the CFL literally and metaphorically dropped the ball on this occasion. When you are preparing a schedule a year in advance, you have ample opportunity to make sure that no such conflict arises.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/09/predictio ... l-picks-2/

screengrab-20181109-125100.jpg

squishy35
Legend

1994 Western Semi Final

and

final drive of the 1994 West Final.

Here's hoping the Lions can pull off the victories this playoff season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for those, squishy.

One hears the commentator saying soft cover, cushion, get back, more time in the pocket. One sees 4 man rush and zone by DBs and LBs. Now where have we seen that before? Ha ha

Wally's favourite ''prevent'' defence with soft zone and 4 man rush worked better back in the day, but not on that particular day.

McManus takes them down the field throwing to Alexander, Clark, Murphy and Flutie.

Flutie to the 4 with 5 seconds left. Flutie splits the zone, Danny Mc shoots it in there. TD. Ha ha

A great memory. And Cuthbert calling the game.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hi squishy35, we all know that these videos have been posted several times before. But I guess you are posting this again for inspiration.
squishy35 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm
1994 Western Semi Final

and

Since you posted them, then I'll compliment (or counter, depending on how you view this) with these videos as well:

I've asked this question to others several times before so I'll ask you these questions to you now, squishy35:

What exactly are your thoughts on the 2000 Lions Grey Cup playoff run and win?

Relatively speaking, do you think the 2000 championship is just as dramatic and amazing with a 8-10-0-1 third place team in the west winning both playoff games in the road against tough Alberta rivals, and then finally winning it all also in the cold weather in Calgary against a much better 12-6 Montreal team?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
squishy35
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm
Hi squishy35, we all know that these videos have been posted several times before. But I guess you are posting this again for inspiration.
squishy35 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm
1994 Western Semi Final

and

Since you posted them, then I'll compliment (or counter, depending on how you view this) with these videos as well:

I've asked this question to others several times before so I'll ask you these questions to you now, squishy35:

What exactly are your thoughts on the 2000 Lions Grey Cup playoff run and win?

Relatively speaking, do you think the 2000 championship is just as dramatic and amazing with a 8-10-0-1 third place team in the west winning both playoff games in the road against tough Alberta rivals, and then finally winning it all also in the cold weather in Calgary against a much better 12-6 Montreal team?
I thoroughly enjoyed both playoff runs obviously Robbie.

1994 stands out to me because the team's talent base on that '94 squad was not realistically comparable to the 2000 team.

I was in university in '94 and had bought 4 tickets to the Grey Cup in Vancouver (40 yard line upper deck on the rail). The guys who were supposed to go with me all bailed just before the West final.

Given the amazing comeback against Calgary, my phone was ringing off the hook with people asking if I still had the tickets.

The GC against Baltimore was epic as we all know.

:)
yukonlion
All Star

Steve Buratto in 2000 was actually a very astute OC. (and replacement head coach) he always adapted his offence to beat a defence... if i recall BC was one of the few teams that could beat the Montreal defence which could stop everybody with their many blitxzpackages...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm
1994 stands out to me because the team's talent base on that '94 squad was not realistically comparable to the 2000 team.
You have a point there in that most members of the 1994 Lions team were still somewhat new or not a superstar at that time whereas most of the roster in 2000 had more seasoned veterans. That is best represented by the quarterbacks as Damon Allen was already a starter for over a dozen years and won two Grey Cups while Danny McManus was at that point still relegated as a backup in 1994.

Of course in 1994 there were still some seasoned veterans like Less Browne, but just a few. And of course, Kent Austin was already a seasoned veteran with his 1989 GC win and his 6000+ yards passing in 1992, but when you think of the 1994 team few people think about him and I've stated numerous times that I felt he was very underrated. In the 1994 west semi-final that you posted, it shows that the QB roles were reversed in that Danny McManus got the rare starting position but was eventually injured and Kent Austin came in relief and drove the Lions for the game-winning FG drive.
yukonlion wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:27 pm
Steve Buratto in 2000 was actually a very astute OC. (and replacement head coach) he always adapted his offence to beat a defence... if i recall BC was one of the few teams that could beat the Montreal defence which could stop everybody with their many blitxzpackages...
:whs:
Excellent point in that the Alouettes had the best defence in 2000 with the least PA at 379 points. But in the 2000 Grey Cup, Steve Buratto used his running plays to run for 264 yards so fittingly the two running backs Robert Drummond with 10 carries and 122 yards and Sean Millington with his 99 yards won the two individual game awards. QB Damon Allen played carefully with no interceptions. While the score became close in the end, we all agree that overall the Lions had the game under control and was clearly the better team and deserved to win.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
MacNews
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 am
Until this past Sunday, I hadn't realized that the 11th was going to be a Sunday. Veteran's day in the USA seems to always be an afterthought from what I see on their TV.
To be fair, the US has Veterans Day in November to celebrate current veterans and their service and also Memorial Day in May to honor the fallen. Memorial Day is taken more seriously, and is a day off work for many/some stores are closed.