Riders 35 - Lions 16, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:47 pm
Hamilton can be beaten given no Brandon Banks. But then again so can the Lions if they repeat.

Why BC couldn't have filled the gaps when it was clear the Riders were going to run on 1st down. DC and OC weren't great on the calls this evening. I'm wondering if Jarius should have another OFF coach at the bench and do a LaPo - call from upstairs.
I don't think that Wally would let his OC call from upstairs. That way he wouldn't have a clue as to what was happening. At least on the sideline he can ask his OC what is happening. I do think there is value in having the OC call plays from upstairs, but then the HC would have to have things like headphones.... . Sometimes I wonder if we have anyone up there as a spotter....
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Because I knew/know our Leos have had a season-long disorder (akin to split personality) -- i.e. a rather impressive winning record at home but an abysmal record of losses on the road, I was fearful of a mediocre outing, as I think a lot of us were. Others have said it in more crude and colourful language!

So, immediately prior to kick-off I pulled on my own game-time uniform; my Lion's fan uni for this road game being a simple neutral gray cloak of indifference -- this my defence against pending disappointment. So here I sit, not at all upset. But what a hollow feeling!

I think it's worse that being frustrated or angry. At least that stuff boils over and dissipates. This stuff just kinda' sits here like a whole lot of nothing that wasn't worthy of attention in the first place.

If I didn't know better -- (hmm... do I know better?) -- I might wonder if the Lions (coaches & players) lacked motivation to win because somewhere planted in their collective brain is the notion that, given they're already in, the better route through the playoffs is via the East. Not saying it was even necessarily conscious, but, maybe just maybe -- unconsciously saving their best stuff for later. NOT at good strategy IMO. Only an assumption on my part I know, but that's what I wonder (while of course still telling myself I don't care.)
David
Team Captain

Boy, when we make up our minds to play poorly on the road, we sure don't mess around. Everyone has a hand in it. I really can't think of one positive or a player I can go, "now THERE'S a guy with his head in the game, balling out." Okay, TJ Lee, maybe a couple of other guys. Cody Fajardo? LOL. But even Mr. Reliable, Ty Long, looked out of sorts.

Just an awful coaching effort, across the board. Why not try to run blitz and force "Air Canada" to pass?? Why on earth were we determined to run Sutton up the gut on first down all night, when that square peg was clearly not going to fit into the round hole? No bubble screens? Then there was the brilliant 2nd and 1 call where we throw wide to Collins who loses yardage. Uggh! Then Wally decides to lose valuable points (hello?? We needed to win by four!) conceding a safety when we clearly should have punted. Moot point I know, but symptomatic of a lacklustre evening for the entire organization.

I don't pin this all on Travis, and some credit must go to Saskatchewan, but that was one of his worst games in a Lions' uniform. Not exactly what you want to see heading into the playoffs. :roll:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:50 pm
Then Mike O’Shea gets a contract extension and Paul LaPolice is allowed to pursue head coaching opportunities in B.C. and elsewhere (or so we can hope).
Offer LaPolice a home in Kits if that's what it takes to get him out of Winnipeg. The Lions NEED a head coach with an offensive background. No way can you hand the keys to Jarious for another season if he is going to continue with this RPO disaster.

Hardly a glorious day for the defence and kick coverage was absolutely atrocious. But how many times this season has the offence bailed out the defence for a poor performance? Maybe the Hamilton game at BC Place? It was frequent back in 2016.

I do think Jarious is more Hervey's guy than Wally's and that's what brought him back to BC for more than 1 season. But clearly he would benefit from a LaPolice or Trestman type head coach to work under.

I think it was a couple of weeks back on 3rd Down Radio Farhan predicted with confidence neither Jennings or Lulay will be back next season. Jennings is hardly a bold suggestion but to many Lulay is.
Not sure if he had been tipped by Hervey, the players themselves or he just thinks they plan on throwing all their QB cap space at Reilly. Regardless, I am more than ready for a fresh approach and re-load on offence in 2019.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:47 pm
Hamilton can be beaten given no Brandon Banks. But then again so can the Lions if they repeat.

Why BC couldn't have filled the gaps when it was clear the Riders were going to run on 1st down. DC and OC weren't great on the calls this evening. I'm wondering if Jarius should have another OFF coach at the bench and do a LaPo - call from upstairs.
I don't think that Wally would let his OC call from upstairs. That way he wouldn't have a clue as to what was happening. At least on the sideline he can ask his OC what is happening. I do think there is value in having the OC call plays from upstairs, but then the HC would have to have things like headphones.... . Sometimes I wonder if we have anyone up there as a spotter....
LOL

A couple of good lines there, Dusty. :thup:

Jarious upstairs? No difference. I think Wally wants his coordinators at hand. <''Up the middle, Jarious.'' ''Stop the deep passes, Mark. They are setting us up for deep throws with the run.''>
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jones out-coached Jarious and Wally with his defence. Stuffed the run. Took away pass routes. 92 yards offence as Jennings took over in the 4th quarter. If we had this same ''system'' on offence with Reilly he would be in the infirmary, or the looney bin. Same for Mitchell.

Jones and McAdoo out-coached Mark and Wally against our defence. Collaros out after head shot. Bridge in. No passing game for the Riders. No problem. Mark does not adjust, as the Riders run for 199 yards. Huge holes in the gaps. The Riders only had half of an offensive game plan, but that was enough.

Out-coached on STs. Our ''return game'' ineffectual. Better to have Rainey improvising. Riders return game strong with Purifoy running with hostility.

In game decisions? Some of the same puzzlers. Safety. When to take a chance and when not to. What to call on short yardage. The ouiji board let us down. Whims are not really a strategy. At least Wally had some notes in his pocket, which I saw him dig out at one time. Couldn't tell if they had any of that fancy plastic coating on them. We did run our ''trick'' play, the Super I (first seen with the Michigan Wolverines), although after the subterfuge, we always run a plunge, as the defence waits patiently for us to line up. LOL

Our players were out of synch. One could say they did not buy into the game plans, such as they were. Players always put their bodies on the line. Were their hearts and souls invested in the game plans? No. They were not sold on the plans. They are always at risk out there, but they did not play inspired football, as we have all seen teams play at times.

Just imo. Blaming the staff? Yes. Blaming the players? Well, we sure did not execute the game plans well, such as they were. There was a lack of execution. Should the game plans have been executed, as in ''taken out and shot?'' IMO, yes. Our players did not make the inadequate game plans work, and one could say that is a lack of execution. Another game film to be consigned to the trash can. Any lessons learned?

Like Rocky Bridges said about his baseball team decades ago: ''We coached 'em good, but they sure did play bad.''
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

Our B.C. Lions went into Regina as the hottest team in the CFL. We were playing for an opportunity for 2nd place in the West and to host a playoff game.
But the Riders, playing for an opportunity to win the West, came out with a game plan that our Leos could not match.
The Riders jumped out to a 16-1 lead and led 16-2 at the half. When T.J. Lee knocked the football out of Purifoy’s hands on the opening kickoff of the second half and Travis Lulay hit Bryan Burnham on a deep throw touchdown pass (making the score 16-9 ) it raised hopes of another third quarter offensive explosion.
But the Riders defense is coached by Chris Jones and not Mike Benevedes.
The Riders defense closed the door on our Leos offence for the rest of the third quarter. Lulay’s fumble led to one Rider defensive touchdown and his Pick 6 to Ed Gainey early in the 4th quarter sealed the Rider victory.
Lulay was given the hook early in the fourth quarter, with the score 32-9.
Jennings came in to lead our offence on an 8 play, 68 yard touchdown to make the final score of 32-16 look more respectable than it really was.

THE PATTERN SAYS IT ALL

Life is about patterns. Football is about patterns and not just pass patterns.
History can be our friend and experience can be a great teacher, if we allow them to be.
It was a tough night for Travis Lulay. He only completed 9 of 20 passes for 94 yards in a little over 3 quarters of play. He was intercepted twice and fumbled once.

Two of his turnovers led to Rider defensive touchdowns – his fumble was recovered for one Rider score and his second interception of the game led to an Ed Gainey Pick 6.
This shellacking on the road was Lulay’s third start, since taking over for Jennings. The last time our Leos were shellacked, was also on the road, in Hamilton.
Prior to the Hamilton road loss, Jennings had led our Leos to three victories. Prior to the Regina game, Lulay had led our Leos to two victories.
So, here is the question about Lulay’s play against Regina. Were Lulay’s problems last night against Regina due to:

1. Not being able to read a defense
2. Being too hesitant
3. Panicking
4. Not being able to handle pressure
5. Having ‘deer in the headlights’ syndrome
6. Not being a CFL caliber quarterback
7. Not being smart enough to run the offence
8. Not being a leader that can 'spark' our team
9. Not being dedicated enough e.g; being at the practice facility enough to be an elite CFL quarterback
10. None of the above
Before answering the question above, realize that all those things were said about Jonathan Jennings, after the Hamilton loss on the road, even though Jennings had led us to three victories in a row before that loss.

Only the week before had led us to a miracle fourth finish and overtime victory against those same Tiger Cats.
Before answering the question, also realize that Ed Willes has written that Travis Lulay ‘sparks’ our Leos. Well, you gotta watch that good ‘ol Kool Aid. Our Leos this season have 4 wins and 5 losses with Lulay and 5-3 with Jennings either starting or coming into a game early due to a Lulay injury.
Regarding the above question, the answer I believe should be chosen is choice #10 None of the Above.

Travis Lulay is a very good and a smart quarterback. But so is Jonathan Jennings. Jennings should never have received the treatment he has nor should Lulay get the same treatment.

Lulay certainly won’t get the same treatment from Ed Willes that he has given to Jennings but if he was consistent, he would treat both fairly.
But if If he was really astute, or had some courage, ( I think the latter is more the issue) Willes would write that the biggest problem is our offensive scheme, play calling, and game planning, by far, more than any other reason for our offensive ineptitude for most of this season.
But Willes won't go there. Its much easier for Willes to throw a player or more under the bus than criticize the coaching.
Just as its easier for our coaching staff to throw players under the bus rather than have a good look at themselves and what they are doing.

THE CON JOB

Leos fans have been given one of the biggest Kool Aid con jobs in Leo history. Our Leos coaching staff, combined with too many in the press/media, have allowed Leo offensive players to be scapegoated to disguise what really ails us – a bad offensive scheme as well as bad game planning and play calling on offence.
Its all been about protecting Jarious Jackson, as well as Wally Buono’s accountability for our offensive mediocrity this season.
Jonathan Jennings wore the brunt for our offence for most of this season, even though he only started 3 of our first 9 games and won 4 of his 5 games after the mid-season break. Jeremiah Johnson has also been a fall guy.

Chris Rainey has also been scapegoated for his offensive play as well as his punt return game 'lack of proficiency'.

Travis Lulay was ranked 6th in the CFL in quarterback efficiency and Jennings was ranked 8th, going into this game. Their stats will be even more closely aligned after this game. Our offence was ranked 7th in the CFL going into this game.
Lulay’s two wins prior to this contest hid many of the deficiencies of our offensive scheme and play calling. Lulay only completed 53.8% of his passes against Calgary for 194 yds. Lulay only passed for 37 yds in the first half against Edmonton.
Lulay passed for 42 yards in the first half of this contest, even though we went to the air a lot in the first half. We only had 1 first down in the second half, before Lulay was pulled. He only completed 44% of his passes in this game so in two of our last 3 contests, Lulay has only completed about 50% of his passes.
After our first game of this 2018 season, B.C. Fan expressed his concerns regarding our conservative offensive scheme.
After our first game of the season, I posted that it would be best to go with Lulay as our starter but I also posted my grave concerns about our offensive scheme and the challenge for any Leo quarterback trying to make a success of it.

BUT WHAT ABOUT?

There may be some Lionbackers who will say that the coaches don’t fumble the football or throw a football into a defender’s hands for a Pick 6. No they don’t.

But when a quarterback is playing in a deficient offensive scheme, when a quarterback is playing from behind too often on the scoreboard, when a quarterback has relentless pressure to win and ‘make plays’ to overcome a deficient scheme, its tough.

When a quarterback has to deal with bad game planning, bad play calling, receivers that are often well covered, and often without a running game, he has a very difficult job.

Its all very difficult to overcome, for any quarterback, game after game.
A quarterback can’t always come up with miracle finishes, as Jonathan Jennings did at home against Hamilton or third quarter explosions, as Lulay did against Edmonton. And don't forget that both those situations involved us not being in RPO at those junctures of the game.
Our offensive scheme, game planning, and play calling create situations that cause our starting quarterback to try too hard, to take the game on his back, and to step outside a deficient scheme.
Instead of making it easier for our quarterbacks to play the position, we put a piano on their back, a ton of weight to drag behind, and a huge wall to climb.
Eventually and sooner than later, they have a bad game, like this one against Regina or the Hamilton road loss.
In reality, Lulay and Jennings have given us much better than what they have been given to ‘execute’.
WE WERE BADLY, BADLY, BADLY OUTCOACHED

Offence

The Riders knew that our offence had relied on our running attack and the deep ball to defeat Calgary and Edmonton. So, what did Chris Jones do?
Jones went into this game with the goal of making our offence one dimensional. He focused on taking away our run game and our deep ball.
Jones usually uses Marshall to cover the opposing team’s best receiver in man, no matter if the rest of his pass defense is in man or zone coverage. Jones takes away your best receiver if he can. In this game, Marshall covered Posey. He also went to two deep safety a lot, taking away the deep ball.

It worked for the Riders all game with the exception of Lulay’s long touchdown pass to Burnham, when the safety that should have been providing deep help to Purifoy bit inside and the same thing happened on Jennings strike to Anthony Parker.
But overall, Jones strategy worked out very well. Jones was not afraid of our predictable and poorly designed short passing game.
He got us into second and long and that allowed his pass rush to be more effective and his pass defense strategy to work.

Of course, Jarious played right into Jones hands.
Perhaps, instead of Jarious making comments as Jennings is not smart enough to lead our offence or Hervey covering for Jackson by saying that Jennings does not spend enough time around the practice facility looking at tape, Jarious Jackson needs to come up with a new playbook.
Some new game plan ideas, or losing or having his game day plasticized play call sheet stolen would also help.
Because there is an 'appearance' that Jarious Jackson is not smart enough yet to be an offensive coordinator.
How is that for having your own words thrown back at you Jarious?

I couldn’t believe the first quarter of this game. We ran the football twice off RPO plays. On our second series we used two RPO plays and two spread plays.

All our run plays in this game were RPO plays. We didn’t use the pre-snap designed plays we used against Calgary, with guards pulling for kick out or trap blocks, we didn’t use fold blocks, and we didn’t use lead blocking. Head shaking stuff.

Why didn't we run the football more often?

Because, when you use an RPO scheme, the defense can dictate run or pass and Jones dictated pass, nor run, and that is exactly what he wanted to do.
WCJ was right. He was not convinced we would not go back to RPO. I thought we had mostly abandoned it. I was wrong.
When we passed the football, even when we did not go RPO, more often than not, we used RPO style pass patterns and just went without the fake. On second and long, we also used Sutton as a receiver too often, rather than a blocker, when we knew ahead of time how good the Riders pass rush is.

The only good thing offensively, outside of Lulay/Burnham’s long touchdown play and Jennings leading us on a long fourth quarter touchdown drive is that both Sutton and Fajardo ran off-tackle on second and short. I highly doubt those were called play calls.
How bad was it? Of our Lions’ first 12 offensive possessions, six ended in two-and-outs and three more in turnovers.
This was a case of starting out dum and getting dummer as the game went along.

Defense

Chris Jones believes in taking away an offence’s strengths? It works. Jones is a very good football coach. Some Leos fans laughed at him in his first season and early second season in Regina. Not me. He’s a different bird but he knows his football.
Mark Washington had the opportunity to do the same in this game – take away the Riders strength.
What is the Riders strength on offence. The answer is simple. The Riders are good at running the football and most often not very good at passing the football because they are also an RPO pass possession offence (but block for the run differently than we do).
So, it should have been our game plan to shut down the Saskatchewan running game and force them into second and long. Did we do that? Nope. Did we adjust. Nope! When everyone knew they were going to run the football on first down, including my grandmother, did Washington adjust. Nope!
The Riders finished the game one yard short of 200 rushing yards, even though every player and coach and fan knew the Riders were going to run the football on first down.
Jones game plan was NOT to allow our defensive line to get heavy pressure all game and have his quarterback throwing interceptions. Jones knew that was the key to how our Leos usually win.
Brandon Bridge only threw 9 passes and only completed 4 of them. The Riders were only going to throw when they really had to.
Washington could have gone into a 5 man defensive line, with Louis as a nose tackle, with Coleman and Luke inside. Or he could have used Lokombo at the line of scrimmage as a fifth defensive lineman. Washington could have run blitzed inside. But he rarely did, sticking with a four man defensive front.
The Riders use a lot of fold blocking to get an offensive lineman on the middle linebacker. We not only made that easier for the Riders by going with a four man defensive line on first down but we also offset Herdman too often in a split two linebacker set up. It was as dumb as a bag of hammers.
Mark Washington has also started doing Mike Benevedes style posing on the sidelines recently. Trying to look all ‘puffed up’, he actually looks foolish. I don’t know if he thinks that makes him look like future Head Coach material or what, but he needs to focus more on coaching than looking like what he perceives a coach is supposed to look like.
Washington’s defenses have not been very good, for the most part since he took over as our defensive coordinator in 2014. His defenses have been shredded in the playoffs. His defense was shredded by Hamilton when they forced him back to his old favorite zone defense.

Washington’s defense has only looked good this season, when we’ve played man defense, which is simple, and allows our talent to flourish. But in this game, our defense needed his help and they didn’t get it. They didn’t get a good game plan and they didn’t get any help in terms of adjustments.
Nor should Wally get a free pass either. He can tell Jarious to get rid of RPO. He can tell Jarious he wants pre-snap running plays. He can tell Jarious to run the football. Buono can tell Washington to overplay the run.
Buono can help and encourage his quarterback, rather than getting angry with him. But Buono never does that. He started yipping at Lulay after one series in this game. It does nothing good.

THE PLAYERS

Compliments to Bryan Burnham, who once again showed that he can go deep and get it done.
Also a shout out to Anthony Parker, who was hurt twice and was on the receiving end of a hellacious hit after a suicide pass and bounced back to make a key 34 yard reception on our fourth quarter 68 yard, nine play touchdown drive.
Kudos to Terrrell Sutton for continuing to run hard in the second half, when given the opportunity. He learned a lesson in this game. It’s a lot more difficult to run the football off RPO than the pre-snap designed running plays he has mostly been given since being inserted as our starting tailback.

Sutton likely has more empathy for what Jeremiah Johnson has had to deal with this season.
On defence, Claudell Louis had 9 tackles, a most impressive performance for a defensive tackle

Odell Willis had a sack and knocked Collaros out of the game. But all that play will lead to is a big fine while not having any positive result in the outcome. Willis is not a dirty player, but his head hit on Collaros was a definite penalty, crossed the line, and should not have happened.
T.J. Lee caused a fumble and once again, played with heart and skill.

Shakeir Ryan had a 5.7 yd average on 3 punt returns and Parker had a 6 yd. punt return.
If Wally was wise, he would stop throwing Rainey under the bus and start being nice to him because he needs him.
WRAP

When we lost in Hamilton, in a game that was similar to our loss in Regina (we had previously won our 3 games with Jennings, including the almost impossible fourth quarter comeback win against Hamilton, Ed Willes said our Leos were not getting consistent professional quarterbacking.

After we lost last night against Regina, after two wins with Lulay at the controls, Willes did not write that we were not getting consistent CFL quarterbacking.
Instead Willes wrote “Trouble in the Trenches - “Against the Riders they (we) were dominated in the trenches". Hypocrisy reins and the Kool Aid never stops being poured.
We lost due to bad strategy, bad game planning, and bad play calling. We lost mostly due to bad coaching. Some of the offensive play calling in this game was ludicrous.

Inside the Riders five yard line, instead of running Sutton off-tackle, Jarious tried to get fancy twice and we had to score on a third down quarterback plunge.

The stupid conga line, short yardage formation, was also called again. There were dum play calls all game along with the reincarnation of RPO. The hitch play on second and one was a thing of beauty, resulting in a loss and the need to punt. Stupid is as stupid does.
No post game Kool Aid words can take away the fact that Chris Jones and his staff kicked Wally and our Leos coaches butts often and badly, in the coaching department of this game.
I watched it and so did you and there is no way to deflect from a terrible coaching performance on behalf of our Leos coaching staff.
The Lion King joked, during the game thread that he is not a ‘Revolutionist’ but a Democrat. Well the last leader of the Democrats hit her head on the glass ceiling so hard, she had to go into post-concussion protocol.

Last night, our coaching staff also hit their heads on the glass ceiling of coaching competence. They need some post-concussion protocol too, because it seems as if they were in a fog so thick they couldn’t see clearly at all.
Its only one game but its back to the drawing board.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well said, Blitz. The media won't criticize our staff when they deserve it. Lowell will on occasion, to a degree. Beamish would, and paid a price. Suitor sometimes hints at things. I heard that Giulio and Moj (or maybe it was Farhan) have been critical, although I did not hear it myself. I think Dunigan sometimes gets close to it. Willes? I don't think so. It is hard for media to be critical of staff, if they want to be welcome at a club. It is easier to blame the players and lack of execution. Even if a game plan is horrific, one can always say the players should make it work. And sometimes they can get beyond a poor game plan. Improvise. Play an intuitive game. Shoot lights out. Get inspired by a runback, interception, RB run, pass, catch, et cetera.

So, there is Lionbackers, to give a more critical look. And of course there is also support on here, for staff, and for players.

Kool-Aid? No thanks.

Hatred? Nah. Not even for American politics. Ha ha Criticism, yes.

Praise? Credit? Sure. Some for the coaches. More for the players. From this corner ...

Next game? Heck, we might even win. Less RPO. More pressure D. Take away a strength. Adapt. Customize a game plan. On we go, on the Good Ship Leo.

Just IMO ...

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

All too often I have seen this movie. Big game, huge opportunity, a chance for a home playoff game and to ignite some interest in a dying fan base and they just plain don't show up. You watch other teams in the same situations and the games are always intense. Always. But the Lions just whimper in these situations.

That's is on the coaches. They all have to go. I can't wait. But if they don't go, then I'm gone.
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:14 am
Then there was the brilliant 2nd and 1 call where we throw wide to Collins who loses yardage. Uggh!

Later on, Saskatchewan used the exact same pass play and got almost 10 yards..... I don't know why our play failed and yet, the Riders ran pretty much same play with great success...... Perhaps someone with more analytic ability can provide insight....if the play scheme looked pretty much the same, why success on one side and failure on our side....

just wondering....
Blitz
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 am
David wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:14 am
Then there was the brilliant 2nd and 1 call where we throw wide to Collins who loses yardage. Uggh!

Later on, Saskatchewan used the exact same pass play and got almost 10 yards..... I don't know why our play failed and yet, the Riders ran pretty much same play with great success...... Perhaps someone with more analytic ability can provide insight....if the play scheme looked pretty much the same, why success on one side and failure on our side....

just wondering....
I'll have to look at the tape Dusty. My guess is that it was the blocking.

Both teams use the same RPO offence. The Riders often block for the run differently.

The Riders also have more RPO styled receivers - in other words they are more the slash type of receiver whereas our receivers strengths are a different style.

For example Burnham is an outstanding deep intermediate and deep receiver rather than a quick slant style of receiver who is going to get you YAC after a short reception.

We are using a plug and play scheme that is not only deficient (the Riders scheme is too) but to make matters worse, it does not fit well at all with out offensive talents and strengths. We're putting a square peg into a round hole and no matter how unsuccessful it is (same in Regina) we keep sticking with it.

The Riders, by blocking differently for their running game, do that better than us.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
VictoriaFan
Starter

its quite possible that with the legalizing of cannabis that the lions held a team meeting by mistake in a Maryjane café and they were all kind of dopey from second hand smoke....
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I caught the last 3 quarters for missed the first for was on my way back from work and I was not surprised they lost, but surprised they played so poorly. On the CFL website, all the Riders fans are praising their team and none are mentioning how poor BC played. It is all the Riders causing BC to play poor. It is a bit of both. As Glen Suitor said, Lions are completely different team on the road and other than the win in Calgary have not played well on the road.

The question now is will the Lions be motivated to win the last home game for Wally or will they just go through the motions and not want to get hurt before the playoff. Will the Lions rest players? Will Calgary blow a 4th chance to win first? If Calgary loses again in the playoffs, what will they do then? I for one would not bet on them in the playoffs and Riders fans feel it is a foregone conclusion(well ones on the CFL website) that they will finish first and be in the Grey Cup. Winnipeg is hot too, though I would bet the Riders at home. Calgary has been hurt by injuries and now poor play and if they lose in BC I think are in big trouble.

I will be cheering for BC next game, but think they will lose against Calgary and in Hamilton and no doubt Braley has the team over for dinner the night before since it may be Wally's last game.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Why is it Riders fans on the CFL site are so arrogant and insulting when you offer a contrary opinion. They brag on there how great they are and say the only reason Lions lost was because the Riders play so great. None can admit or accept it was a combination of both Riders playing well and Lions playing lousy. Lions are 2 and 7 on the road and played again a bad game yesterday. But none of the Riders fans accept or like you saying that.

I was met by a hurl of insults. They are think they will finish 1st in the West and win the Grey Cup no doubt.

I almost hope they lose to bring them down from their high horse, though I hate Calgary more and not a fan of Winnipeg either.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 am
Why is it Riders fans on the CFL site are so arrogant and insulting when you offer a contrary opinion. They brag on there how great they are and say the only reason Lions lost was because the Riders play so great. None can admit or accept it was a combination of both Riders playing well and Lions playing lousy. Lions are 2 and 7 on the road and played again a bad game yesterday. But none of the Riders fans accept or like you saying that.

I was met by a hurl of insults. They are think they will finish 1st in the West and win the Grey Cup no doubt.

I almost hope they lose to bring them down from their high horse, though I hate Calgary more and not a fan of Winnipeg either.
I think riderfans.com is a better site although some do get a bit over pumped after a win. They also discuss other CFL teams and issues.