Lions 26 - Stampeders 21, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game Journal

Quarter 1

CS  Run for 8.  DJ for 3, 1st.  Pressure.  Procedure.  Matthews got a hand on the ball.  Punt.

BC  Rainey not suited up.  Sutton for 10.  TS for 12.  Shaq for 16.  TS for 4.  FG.  3-0.

CS  DJ for 2.  Blitz.  Drop.  Plus Bo not sharp.  Punt. 

BC  Knock down.  TL to BB.  TS for 6.  Inc.  FG.  6-0. 

CS  Run for 5.  Knock down.  Punt.

BC  Parker long return 79 yards to the 3. Inc. TS for TD.  13-0. 

CS  ER 1st.  CM for 9.  Run for 2.  1st.  WL for 27.  Inc.  Inc.  Bo not sharp.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 2

FG.  13-3.

BC  Inc.  TL 2/7.  TL rocked.  Inc.  2 out.

CS  DJ for 8.  DJ stuffed.  Punt.  Rouge.  13-4. 

BC  TS for 5.  CW for 6.  1st.  TS for 4.  Blitz.  Throwaway.  Trick play stuffed.  Was it telegraphed?   Turnover.

CS  Blitz.  Inc.  Blitz.  Pass for 7.  Run stuffed.  Turnover.  Louis looking like Tyrone Williams. 

BC  DP for 5.  TL to Shaq for 32.  TS for 5.  Team looking good.  Blitz.  Inc.  Challenge for PI.  Looked like it.  Good challenge.  Stupid Michigan ''trick'' "Super I" play we've seen in previous years.  Then we line up tight for TS to run for TD.  20-4.  Lions kicking butt.  We are definitely controlling our destiny at this point. 

CS  Pass for 7.  No Stamps offence.  Pass low. Inc.  2 and out 5 times.

BC Ricky drops punt.  CS recovers.

CS  CM TD.  2 pt. convert.  20-12. 

BC  JJ24 good return.  TS for 3.  Pick, big return.  1:31 left in half.  Plus a penalty,  Bad throw by TL. 

CS  TD pass to Ambles.  Wide open.  2 pt misses,  20-18.

BC  Expect a run.  TS for 6.  1st to BB.  TS for 3.  :42 left.  Inc, missed by Posey.  Pass not great.

CS  Screen for big yardage.  :01 left.  Inc.

20-18 at the half.

2 massive turnovers get CGY back in the game.

3-1 turnovers favour CGY.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 3

BC  To Posey for 18.  TS for 2.  Screen stuffed.  Punt.

CS  Morris good return. DJ stuffed for a loss.  Lee break up.  PI?  DB must look back, not screen receiver.  Ambles for 5.  Bo overthrows.  Orange drops Int.  FG.  21-20 CGY.

BC  CW for 12.  Sack.  Cut block fail.  Gawd.  Posey for 10.  3rd/2.  FG.  Beauty from 52.  23-21 BC.

CS  DJ for 2.  Ambles for 1st.  Foster blitz.  Penalty on Cgy.   Thompson pick.  Good read and cover.  20 yards deep, he gets there.

BC  Inc.  TS for 13.  Draw.  Screen stuffed.  Mackie.  Draw to TS for 8.  Punt.  3:00 left. 

CS Swing pass 1st.  ER 1st.  CM 1st. Penalty.  Big sack.  Penalty missed. 

BC  TS stuffed.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 4

Good game plan considering Jarious had his laptop stolen.  Runs.  Draws.  Screens.  Good routes. 

BC  Incomplete.  3rd.  Punt.  Hervey and Wally.  Sounds like good cop bad cop.  Rod and Duane defending Hervey.  Awful. 

CS  Inc.  Inc.  Punt.  Penalty on Maver.

BC  TS for 3.  Posey for 1st.  Game going our way.  TL for 1st.  Good game pkan.  TS for 7.  Short yardage stuffed from ultra tight formation.  Duane says not much push, the company line.  FG.  Good.  26-21. 

CS  Matthews drop.  Cgy there to be had tonight.  ER, but penalty.  Cgy screwing up.  Matthews brain dead.  ER helluva catch.  Run for 5.  1st.  Morris for 7.  Pass, 1st.  Sack by Lemonator.  CM great grab.  3rd / 2.    Blitz.  Turnover. 

BC  Looks like we could win.  Looks like we could be going to the playoffs.  3:00 left.  Key 3rd down. Gains an inch. Just enough. 2:00 left. TL boots for 4. CW hurdle. 3rd / 2. Punt.

CS Brain dead tonight. Dickie ripping his hair out. 1:05 left. Drop by Rogers. Turnover.

aklawitter
All Star

Defence deserves a big Giulio BOOYA
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Gods of Football were with us tonight.

Good game plan by Jarious. Runs. Draws. Screens. Still some dumb looking cut blocks.

Good team effort.

Bo and the offence not effective tonight. Missing receivers.

The odds favour us for the playoffs.

Travis 193 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int. He managed the game well.

Bo 215 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int.

Sutton 22/106 yards.

It seems to me that Wally and Ed are doing the Good Cop, Bad Cop routine. Ed rips Jennings. Wally tries to soothe the team. Ughh

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Gods of Football seemed to be with Wally along with the refs who managed a couple of great calls on the Stamps like OFF PI - not called often. I'm not suggesting the calls were wrong - other than the high tackle on Bo Levi when he ducked and the tackle was high on the helmet.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Run the table and 2nd place still very well within reach. That's how big this win was.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Lulay 193 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT. Very Jennings-esque numbers. Yet a completely different confidence level for the Lions with Lulay back in control.
Bub Neamer
prospect

Great Game . Real Team effort. That is how to play the Game.
yukonlion
All Star

i'd love to rainey converted to receiver ala Brandon Banks, Posey isnt lighting any fires... great game by sutton but i love JJ, and think Rainey has an upside...
Blitz
Team Captain

Travis completed 54% of his passes for 193 yds. Of those 193 yds. 55 of them came off a huge play to Bryan Burnham, who made another one of his incredible catches.

Sutton carried the football 22 times for 106 yds. (4.8 yd. average) Most of his yards were tough yards and he is a power inside runner but even he got stopped on second and short as even he could not make the run 'er up the gut play work.

Great win for our Leos. Good offensive game plan. Very little RPO. We used a lot of pre-snap run plays (not RPO) and ran the football a lot as I anticipated we would.

Very good defensive game and we were in man defense a lot.

Huge win.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ZLions
Rookie

I had a feeling the Lions would win today, and wow did they ever pull through. I’m sorry guys, but Lulay is soo much better than Jennings; his confidence, poise and level headed demeanor is at such a high level and the entire team feeds of his calmness and positive energy. So happy that Lulay is back; this team needs him and I really hope he can stay healthy.

Great team win today overall. The offence called some great plays, not purrfect but they made up for it in effort. Tyrell Sutton was a great pick up, I’m so glad he’s on the team instead of Rainey, who doesn’t seem to be very effective anymore. Tyrell Sutton plays like a true warrior, puts his head down and battles for positive yardage every time (he’s also a great blocker); he really sparked our offence tonight and wore down the Calgary D.

Very impressed by our defense as well. Kudos to Mark Washington for excellent schemes, all the players seem to play with such great chemistry and energy. Even when Calgary got within two points during those disastrous two minutes, our defense didn’t lose momentum, they just kept fighting and kept the team in it, even when our offence kept sputtering. Yes Calgary could have played much better, but the only touchdowns they scored were off of our mistakes: the dropped punt return and interception, nothing else.

Congrats to Wally Buono for his 281st career win. It was a nice tribute given to him before the game by the Stampeders. I know he gets a lot of heat on here, but people around the league have nothing but good things to say about Wally (like Dickenson as seen during the game today and Brent Johnson and couple of weeks ago at the hall of fame game). The fact is that with him at the helm, this team has beat Calgary, which means they can beat anyone! Go Leos!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary, 17 carries for a net 38 yards.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I know he has only started two games, but Andrew Peirson looks like he could be the lions centre of the future. Great undrafted free agent find by your scouts.