Alessia Cara to perform Freedom Mobile Grey Cup Halftime Show

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Maybe I am just old, but I have never heard of this girl or any of her songs. She has just one album to her credit yet the CFL hires her to perform. Just guessing, but I would think she is a hip hop artist for that is what is popular now and makes Top 40 radio.

Since the game is in Alberta, I think a better choice would be to hire an established country singer whose music would be more appealing to CFL fans there. Or any established artist with more than 1 album to her/his credit.

I would think most of her fans probably not even into CFL football. After hiring Shania last year, CFL goes with basically an unknown singer whose songs probably CFL fans have never heard of.

Then again maybe I am just old now (55) and out of touch with what is hot now and what CFL fans want at the Grey Cup.

Any thoughts from other fans?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ve never heard of her either but I’m not in the target demographic.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

But why is the CFL targeting an audience 10 to 30 which is likely her audience. Most of them probably do not even watch CFL and fewer will be at the game. The singer herself said she knows very little about football and sports in general.

The CFL dropped the ball again. Reaction on the internet, mostly negative to this choice. If she nervous now, what till November.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who is Alessia Cara ?
The_Pauser
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:44 am
But why is the CFL targeting an audience 10 to 30 which is likely her audience. Most of them probably do not even watch CFL and fewer will be at the game. The singer herself said she knows very little about football and sports in general.

The CFL dropped the ball again. Reaction on the internet, mostly negative to this choice. If she nervous now, what till November.
It's funny when people talk about how the CFL needs to target a younger generation of fans, yet when they do something that does just that people complain. What do you expect? That naming someone like Gordon Lightfoot as the Halftime performer would get youth excited? (as good as Lightfoot is)

I'm in my 30's and even I don't know who Alessia Cara is. I've heard the name, but can't say I know any of her songs. Am I upset by it? Not at all. Perhaps wish we could have attracted a bigger name, but maybe she's a big enough name within the demographic that the league is targeting that this will be a huge success.
Roar you Lions roar!
squishy35
Legend

I'm guessing the Rolling Stones and U2 were already booked..... ?

The times, they are a changin'.....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Good for her. And good for the CFL for getting young up and coming Canadian talent for the halftime show.
squishy35
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 am
Good for her. And good for the CFL for getting young up and coming Canadian talent for the halftime show.
Like the License plate. Cleveland Rocks :beauty:
BC 1988
Legend

I am 56 so don't normally find young musicians like her until after the fact. I find a lot of new music by looking them up on Tunefind after hearing them on TV shows I watch. Modern artists I do follow include Lana Del Rey and Lorde, but they make the kind of music I have always enjoyed. (When you look at it. "popular" music is always repeating itself with regard to styles).
Alessia Cara sounds to me quite a bit like Lorde, but that's based only on hearing one song. She won a Grammy so she has US exposure.
She has had fair success on Billboard, going back to 2016.
https://www.billboard.com/music/alessia ... rt-history
7,225,338 views for her latest single uploaded on June 20th.

Her performance at GC will likely coincide with the release of her 2nd album.
I think she is a decent Canadian choice to get under 30s to tune in.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

BC 1988 Champion said:

Her performance at GC will likely coincide with the release of her 2nd album.
I think she is a decent Canadian choice to get under 30s to tune in.

For the half time show only and then they will turn it off, well except for the young people in small markets. The point is most of the audience going is likely over 40 and they will not dig this to quote an old phrase. I personally doubt her performing will attract a younger audience to watch the game. They will just wait till she performs turn it on and then off, if they are not CFL or football fans. No I do not expect them to pick Lightfoot, but on another site someone listed many other options:

So what is wrong with having someone or a band with an actual singing voice and good rhythm and a great rock sound like Bryan Adams, Rush, Loverboy, Cory Hart, Glass Tiger, or some American bands like The Eagles, Chicago, Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Survivor, Journey, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benetar, Scandal, Etc.

Of these options, I would have asked Bryan Adams. This guy is dreaming if he thinks the CFL could afford the Eagles.

I think since the game is in Alberta, they should have asked a country singer for that music is popular in Alberta and though I am not into country music I feel every now and then that would be a good option when they hold it in places where country music popular rather then pick some newcomer to appease a market who probably not even into CFL.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thanks for posting the song BC Champion. I personally don't like it and feel it is like a hundred other songs by Hip hop artists that are forgettable. I find it boring to listen to and the subject matter is targeted at teenagers.

I will probably tune out when she comes on. Still feel it is a poor choice kinds like when they picked Justin Bieber a few years ago. I doubt she will do better than Shania, and I am not even a Shania fan.
BC 1988
Legend

Looking back over previous halftime shows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... time_shows
2012 was probably the most ambitious attempt at being all things to all people. Bieber was part of a package which included him doing 2 songs, One-hit-wonder (but very current) Carly Rae Jepsen 2 songs, Marianas Trench and Gordon Lightfoot 1 song each (but Lightfoot did his long Canadian Railroad Trilogy. With his failing health, that was an achievement).

Artists who performed when they were still very much part of the then current music scene are rare for GC. I'd say 2005 Black Eyed Peas, 2006 Nelly Furtado, 2014 Imagine Dragons would best personify that.

Nostalgia artists that I enjoyed seeing were The Tragically Hip, Tom Cochrane, Blue Rodeo, and Bryan Adams (but he was packaged up with more current Sam Roberts).

Unless she has dancers up on the stage with her, Alessia Cara could look kind of overwhelmed by the venue size (but she has been touring festivals, typical for an artist without many songs in her repertoire yet. )

Her blurb about performing in EDM at GC was exactly what I was thinking:
"I'm excited to perform at the halftime show and freeze all my fingertips off with you guys"
ZLions
Rookie

22 year old here. Alessia Cara ain’t too bad, she’s decently popular among my age group. Her songs are regularly on the radio. Here’s her top two hits, with 149 million and ~100 million YouTube views:

(Some of you may have heard this one by now at least)

I think it’s great that the CFL is doing more to try to attract the younger audience. I get it, most CFL being older would prefer older artists and country/rock music perhaps. How about for halftime shows, the CFL starts booking two main attractions: a younger artist like Cara, and an older artist for the older generation? That may be a viable solution.
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks ZLions. It's great to hear the perspective from someone who is Ambrosie's "target market". You are the future of the game, if it's to have one (after us old fogies retire to our rocking chairs).
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thanks Z Lions for posting the songs. She ain't too bad if you are into Hip Hop which I am not into. I prefer music where I can hear guitars and don't hear any in the song Here. If there are any they are buried in the mix. I heard only Here. That is enough for me. Heard 2 of her songs and do not like her singing style or her music. Not my thing.

It is good the CFL is trying to try something different, but I expect her to be subjected to wide criticism no matter how well she does. I thought Shania did a good job last year and yet she had a lot of negative feedback from her performance. Not easy being in the spotlight, especially when half the audience not into Hip Hop and ready to pan you before you sing a note.

As your idea, I do not see it happening. Grey Cup Halftime show is short as it is and kind of waste of time for any artist to come all the way to do 2 songs than the usual 4. Better to hire one.

Like what they are doing during regular games hiring unknown local performers to do halftime shows.