Lions 35 - TiCats 32, Post- Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game journal ...

Quarter 1

Pass to Mackie.  Shocker.
JJ24 outside, Shocker.
2nd and short up the middle, stuffed.  Not a shocker.

CR nice return, flagged.

JJ to BB, JJ to CW, JJ to DP, flagged.
51 yard FG good, 3-0.
In the pocket, no RPO.

Sack, 4 man rush, Coleman sack.

Blitz, knock down by TiCats.

Breakdown in coverage, sack, facemask by Louis
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 2

Screen, Coleman tackle, awesome.

JJ to RC for 31, Cats blitzing

STs coverage good

JM for 17, Int, flag, 4 men getting pressure, PI, 92 yards penalties on Leos, JW TD, 7-3 HTC

Less RPO, Posey drops one

Dunigan: I could play for June Jones any time.  I hear that. This fan likes Jones.

Thompson in no man's land, 15 yards deep.  14-3 HTC.

JJ to RC.  AP.  BB.  Blitz, unblocked by our OLine. 

JM for 18.  Beautiful game plan by Jones. Master OC.

JJ sacked.  JO beaten.  Pressure again.  JO beaten again. 

Punt.  Facemask.  Penalties over 100 yards. 

3rd and 2, chance for a FG.  Not taken.  Punt. 

14-3 at the half.  Out coached badly in my opinion.

Jones over Washington.  Glanville over Jackson. Barker crediting Jones. 

Half time.

Offence is pablum.  Vanilla.  OL is a sieve. Defence not blitzing, playing more soft zone.  Jones game planned some good stuff.

Penalties 7 for 115
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 3

2nd and 2.  Fail.  But then Fajardo goes wide for big gain for the first down.  Extra OL. BB on pass.   Wally not sure to challenge.  He asks Jarious.  Dunigan rides Wally for almost missing the opportunity for it.  Pressure by the TiCats.  JJ to CW.  Glanville is bringing heat. RC for 2. 14-11 TiCats.  Very nice drive by Jennings.

Terrrible PI on Thompson.  Could have played the ball.  Huge difference in penalty yardage. FG 17-11.

Glanville forces us to go 6 OL.  Huge pressure on blitz.  Disguised, delayed blitzes. We are unprepared.

We go 3 man rush.  Complete pass vs zone.  But we stop them. 

1:29  left in the quarter.  Not much determination shown by the team at this time. 

JJ for 8.  2nd and 1.  Stuffed.  Rolly is not a running back, but he is one helluva blocker.  When he is in, we are essentially in a 6 man O Line. Then we punt. 

Return for TD. Penalty saves us.

JM to Tasker.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quarter 4

2nd / 8.  JM to Tasker.  1st.  Blitz.  Bring the house.  FG.  Sack by Herdman. 20-11. 

CR corraled on return.  CW.  Good penetration by TiCats.  BB 1st. Pass or fumble.  Review.  Incomplete pass.  CW 1st.  9:47 left.  RC hammered. Pressure again by TiCats.  We have no answer for the pressure.  8:16 left.  Ty Long is money.  20-14.

JW for 8.  2nd and 2.  On short yardage, the TiCats pass with 3 wideouts.  Thompson makes a very stupid, dangerous hit, and then celebrates.  Proper call.  Terrible game for him.  6:56 left.  Sack by Coleman.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

3rd and 4. JJ to BB. TD. Ha ha

Wally goes for it. Shocking, but it works.

Dunigan credits Jennings for his timing, touch and accuracy, when given time. Jennings throws a dart.

21-20. 2:26 left.

Good return by Mercer.

JM to Tasker vs zone. Masoli to Jones for a long TD. Wide open. Thompson over runs it, as Jones cuts by him. 1:46 left. Easy to Tasker for 2 more points. IMO Thompson makes us play a man short on defence.

Strange call on 3rd and 2 with 1:20 left. Long desperation pass against one helluva DB.
D'oh ...

Jarious trying to figure it out, on the bench, with the tablet.

Punt. Single for the TiCats. Jones does not go for the FG.

:33 left in the game.

Shaq might have had that one. JJ to Posey. JJ to Shaq again and he gets it. Whoo Hooo

Jennings to Burnham. TD. Pinpoint pass and great catch. Whoo Hooo ...

Helluva throw and catch on the two point convert attempt. Ruling coming.

Burnham is in! :thup: Yee Haw. What a comeback to tie!

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Overtime.

Way to go, Jennings. :thup:

Way to go, Burnham. :thup:

Figaro
Rookie

Overtime!!! What a finish. Now if we can do two things we should win. First - no penalties. Second - don't bite on a stop and go.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2nd series.

Coleman is a beast.

Deflection by Lemon.

FG misses.

Rainey almost takes it to the house.

Ty Long is the money man. :thup:

Wow. What a finish.

I am very happy for Jennings. :thup:
PASSING

JENNINGS 32/47 68.1% 346 3 0 39
How are those numbers? This fan did not doubt him, based on what we saw in him previously. He is playing in a dysfunctional offence, imo, as was Lulay. Good to see the focus on the spread offence.

Burnham :thup:

Coleman :thup:

Monster game by some.

Just another CFL barn burner finish. Ha ha

Full credit to the guys for their spirit and effort.

Glanville out-coached Jarious. Have we seen the last of the RPO experiment? Jennings way more comfortable in the spread. OL a sieve.

Jones game planned well against Washington. We saw less blitzing and more zone from Mark. Jones had Masoli on QB runs working very well. Masoli passed for huge yardage with a makeshift crew. Some huge breakdowns in our pass coverage.

Very exciting finish.

But we do have issues, and that is not on the players.

Blitz
Team Captain

Nine seconds left in the game and Jennings throws a 39 yarder to Shaq, a 20 yd. touchdown pass to Burnham, and then hits Burnham on the 2 point convert, with a great play by Burnham to get his foot down.

Incredible finish in regulation time and then we get fortunate and win in overtime.

Happy I never gave up on Jennings and neither did you WCJ and others.

from cfl.ca below:
Lions Pull Off Near-impossible Comeback; Stun Ticats in OT

The BC Lions mounted a comeback for the ages on Saturday night at BC Place, marching 59 yards in nine seconds to tie the game in regulation, then finishing the job on Ty Long’s game-winning kick in the second overtime period.

There were nine seconds left when Jennings threw a deep football to Shaq Johnson, with the third-year receiver making the 39 yd. catch and giving the Lions’ offence one more shot at the 20.

Bryan Burnham hauled in a 20-yard touchdown pass from Jonathon Jennings with no time on the clock, then scored a two-point conversion to send the game to overtime on a tip-toe catch that needed to be reviewed and overturned.

Jennings threw three touchdown passes for the home team and didn’t throw an interception, finishing his night with 346 passing yards on 32-of-47 passing, while Burnham finished with 90 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 10 catches. cfl.ca
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great comeback win for Jennings, with assists from Burnham and Long. The defence gave up two long TD passes and took three big PI penalties to set up another 10 Hamilton points, but the offence came through in the end. More later.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I left after the third and two. Dumb and dumber
Wear orange or wear nothing
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I left after the third and two. Dumb and dumber
Wear orange or wear nothing
maxlion
Legend

Uncharacteristic bad penalties by the Lions.
Questionable decision-making by June Jones.
Clutch play by Jennings and Burnham in the last minute.
Good qb play on both sides. No interceptions, both qbs over 300 yards.
BC running game is missing.
4/5 on 3rd down conversions is pretty good. Buono taking risks on 3rd down.
Another strong game by the Lions defensive line.
Missed field goal with the game on the line was the difference in the end.
Fun game and playoff hopes still alive!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Utterly emotionally exhausted, I sank back into my easy-chair and wept -- tears of relief and joy! That left me sputtering like an imbecile for a minute or two after. There's something to be said for a team just never saying never. My personal hero among our Leos (along with Lulay) has steadily been Bryan B. since his arrival here. I find our Mr. Burnham's combo of grit, talent and character along with his field-of-play demeanor, is truly a winning combination in every sense. That said, I'm not blind to the fact we were handed a most unlikely opportunity by the opposing coach at a critical time. So thanks to June Jones for that. But our boys still had to do what they had to do to make him pay. It all started off pretty wild already by BC standards with that pass to fullback Mackie, but things ended even wilder! Wild and wonderful.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Ballistic Bob said:

I left after the third and two. Dumb and dumber.

You are not the only one. I watched on TV and turned the game off after the Lions failed on that 3rd and 2. Brushed my teeth and went to look at the comments on this site only to find out Lions somehow tied the game. Turned TSN back on and watched the exciting overtime.

I watched all 3 games for was not working today and all great. So happy Lions found a way to win this. Jennings played his best game in 2 years. If Lions lost they were done I think. Now they are tied with the Bombers and have a chance to take the final playoff spot. Both teams in tough on the road next week. But anything can happen.

Great finish to an exciting day of football.