RedBlacks 29 - Lions 25, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Wally doesn't like "ratio breaker" Nationals because he thinks they get paid too much compared to more plentiful and therefore cheaper Internationals, Andrew Harris vs Jeremiah Johnson and Rutley being a good example as well as Hunter Stewart and Foucault at guard instead of tackle.

However by converting Stewart and Foucault from tackle in college to starting guards in the CFL, if there is an in game injury to a INT. tackle then Stewart of Foucault just move over one spot to tackle (and don't even have to go to the opposite side of the O line) and then the only backup players dressed for the O line are NAT. guard/centre types. So there is some method to Wally and Dan's madness.
Pistrinus
Rookie

should we trade knevel then to somebody who might want a national tackle
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pistrinus wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm
should we trade knevel then to somebody who might want a national tackle
No, why would the Lions trade a potential ratio breaker ? They don't grow on trees.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

To suggest that anyone on here posts "hate" of Wally Buono is way over the top especially when it is about someone who provides tons of analysis and detail and knows football Xs and Os better than 99% of us here.

Wally Buono himself knows that criticism is part of the business and he handles that without running away and taking his whistle home and he stands up and defends himself which I respect as I do his overall record. I heard him tell Matt Sekeres on TSN he could suit at QB just recently and no one on TSN is attacking the bristling Wally when he fights back.

It's fair to comment that someone thinks criticism is over the top but I don't think comments here rise to the level of hate.

Hambone:

1. I went to Lion games in WPG and CAL and the Lions got their butts kicked in both and that was in seasons when the Lions were playing pretty good football ('05 or '06).

2. As to Ed Hervey free to choose his own Head Coach and his pick was Wally I'm really not sure that was:
a. either wise on his part; or,
b. wise organizationally given that Wally is his boss; and
c. his last year as HC and GM with the Dennis the Pres pretty much gone really was hard on him and the team showed it pretty much everywhere.

Organizationally, I'd have wanted Wally to be the public face of the franchise as that clearly is not the skill set the new GM has. In fact, I'd have been happy if Wally was President and VP Football Operations and carried on here in BC and use some money to bring in some decent marketing assistance.

I certainly don't hate Buono as that's pretty harsh stuff.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm
To suggest that anyone on here posts "hate" of Wally Buono is way over the top especially when it is about someone who provides tons of analysis and detail and knows football Xs and Os better than 99% of us here.

Wally Buono himself knows that criticism is part of the business and he handles that without running away and taking his whistle home and he stands up and defends himself which I respect as I do his overall record. I heard him tell Matt Sekeres on TSN he could suit at QB just recently and no one on TSN is attacking the bristling Wally when he fights back.

It's fair to comment that someone thinks criticism is over the top but I don't think comments here rise to the level of hate.

Hambone:

1. I went to Lion games in WPG and CAL and the Lions got their butts kicked in both and that was in seasons when the Lions were playing pretty good football ('05 or '06).

2. As to Ed Hervey free to choose his own Head Coach and his pick was Wally I'm really not sure that was:
a. either wise on his part; or,
b. wise organizationally given that Wally is his boss; and
c. his last year as HC and GM with the Dennis the Pres pretty much gone really was hard on him and the team showed it pretty much everywhere.

Organizationally, I'd have wanted Wally to be the public face of the franchise as that clearly is not the skill set the new GM has. In fact, I'd have been happy if Wally was President and VP Football Operations and carried on here in BC and use some money to bring in some decent marketing assistance.

I certainly don't hate Buono as that's pretty harsh stuff.
I think if you feel Blitz is a great X’s and O’s guy that’s great and perhaps he knows more than 99% of the posters here. I doubt he has ever played a down of pro football nor has he coached a pro team( anyone banging on his door trying to hire him?), Buono has done both and in fact is the winningest coach in the CFL. He like everyone else on this site deserves respect. As I said, comment on his football calls, but to say he has no class, has a twitch or stutters is completely over the top and then to follow up with some weird comment about his religion (really)!
If you feel I’m being too critical, well what goes around comes around!

[Please respect other posters. This forum is intended as a place to build friendships, Personal attacks will not be tolerated. This site is a hobby and people who make it a pain in the butt to run or any users who continually start squabbles and garner complaints will be punted from the forum. -- Site Rules]
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe there is a difference between being critical of Buono or other Leos or other CFL coaches, for that matter, and attacking fellow posters, as you are. I am not attacking you for your viewpoints.

By my being critical of Buono, you also said that I deserve to be criticized by you ('what goes around, comes around').

Its an interesting concept. I never thought that if a poster was critical of the coaching staff then they deserved to be criticized too.

This is professional football and its also professional entertainment. This is not about supporting or not supporting your local amateur volunteer football coach who puts in a ton of hours to develop young athletes.

This is also not a pro team sponsored website, where posters are not allowed to be critical of any aspect of the team.

I recognize that there are posters on Lionbackers who are very supportive of Wally Buono and others who are not, including me and it might even be fair to say especially me.

Hambone, for example is a huge supporter of Wally Buono and while my views are very different I still respect him as a poster and appreciate his contribution to this site.

My views are different than yours on this subject. It would be a boring website if we all thought the same on every topic or thread.

But there are different ways to deal with this, other than the way you are doing it.

If you strongly believe that any of my comments regarding Buono, past and present, are unacceptable or inappropriate for this website, then you should write a post to the Team Captains, stating your reasons, and they will deal with it.

There are also other posters who do not confine their comments to only the play calling of Buono and if you believe that they are also out of line, you should also follow the same procedure.

There are guidelines for what can be posted and cannot be posted on Lionbackers, as there are also guidelines as to how posters on Lionbackers deal with each other.

If I am out deemed out of line, I will ensure that I follow the protocol requested or demanded of me. If they determine that I am only allowed to make comments on Buono's play calling and nothing else or determine that some of my comments are inappropriate, I will adhere to their decision.

But it is not up to you to determine what I or other Lionbacker posters are allowed to post regarding Buono - eg: to be only limited to his play calling during a game. You don't make the rules on this site nor do I.

I have not responded to your comments because I don't really believe they are mostly about my views of Buono. Quite frankly, I think that you would look for any excuse to attack me. I hope I am wrong.

Either way, use the process and if necessary I will too.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well said, Blitz.

Contact the Team Captains (Mods, the Admin Staff) with a "Private Message" if a member has a complaint about any post or any other member.

Team Captains are denoted by the MVP logo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Rainey's wife just tweeted out that it's a torn ACL for Rutley. :bawl:
Doctor said it is but he needs an mri. I talked to his fiancé
Travon Van off the suspended list?

DH :cool:
Initial suspicions confirmed. The club just 6-gamed Rutley today with an ACL tear.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

ziggy wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:40 pm

I think if you feel Blitz is a great X’s and O’s guy that’s great and perhaps he knows more than 99% of the posters here. I doubt he has ever played a down of pro football nor has he coached a pro team( anyone banging on his door trying to hire him?), Buono has done both and in fact is the winningest coach in the CFL. He like everyone else on this site deserves respect. As I said, comment on his football calls, but to say he has no class, has a twitch or stutters is completely over the top and then to follow up with some weird comment about his religion (really)!
If you feel I’m being too critical, well what goes around comes around!
It's the internet. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Reading some posters on this site is like listening to a broken record. Others offer truly insightful commentary. And most lie somewhere in between. Only you can decide which one is which.

[Post pulled for review by the Mod Staff. After discussion it was decided to repost it. The post includes a personal attack on another member. If any more attacks or arguments appear here, the thread will be locked down. -- The Mod Staff]

[Please respect other posters. This forum is intended as a place to build friendships, Personal attacks will not be tolerated. This site is a hobby and people who make it a pain in the butt to run or any users who continually start squabbles and garner complaints will be punted from the forum. -- Site Rules]
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:23 pm
David wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:04 pm
Rainey's wife just tweeted out that it's a torn ACL for Rutley. :bawl:
Doctor said it is but he needs an mri. I talked to his fiancé
Travon Van off the suspended list?

Initial suspicions confirmed. The club just 6-gamed Rutley today with an ACL tear.

I wonder if Shakir Bell has been doing his best to stay in game shape?