RedBlacks 29 - Lions 25, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The O Line loves run blocking. Rutley finds a hole. Nice to see Jarious mixing in the runs with the passes so effectively.

2018-07-21_1403.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:58 pm
ziggy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 am
Man I can’t believe some of the hate of Buono spewed on this site. We get it Blitz, you don’t like him! Unfortunately you are letting your hate blind you.
The perceived weakness of our coaching staff is greatly exaggerated by some on this site, but this is not atypical for a fan forum when the team has limited success over an extended period of time under the same leadership.

In my view, we lack the elite strategic thinkers that some teams have.

In Edmonton, Maas is perhaps not an elite head coach, but he is perhaps the best OC in the league.

Calgary has Dickenson and Claybrooks, both excellent football minds, with Hufnagel upstairs giving guidance.

Saskatchewan has Jones, perhaps the best and most innovative DC of this generation.

Winnipeg has a top notch game planner in Lapolice, and O'Shea helping with special teams.

Toronto has Trestman, the QB whisperer.

I'm not sold on June Jones in Hamilton, but some are. I think they are bound for a big fall.

Ottawa is solid in its coaching, but nothing spectacular. Like us.

Montreal is questionable. Sherman is unknown in the CFL. Stubler is past his prime. Jones is so-so.
I agree that we don't have the elite strategic thinkers as coaches on this Leos team as many others seem to have. But I certainly see potential in Jarious Jackson, who has brought in a new offence that has many strong points and he is also adjusting as he goes, which is a very good sign. He has been less RPO than in his first three games and is developing a good blend on offence.

Melvin has an excellent reputation as a defensive line coach but he has to blend in his defensive line play to Washington's overall defensive philosophy. Jeff Reinbold has always had a reputation as an innovative special teams coach.

Its interesting to read comments regarding the concept of 'loyalty'. I don't believe Wally is coaching this season out of loyalty to Braley. I believe he is coaching out of loyalty to his ego this season, as he did not want to leave his career with a whimper, missing the playoffs as he did last year.

I believe in the concept of loyalty but I really don't view the Braley/Buono or Lions assistant coaching staff with that set of binoculars. Sychophancy and loyalty are two very different ideas. When a boss wants loyalty that should not mean that the employee doesn't have different opinions or diferent ideas.

I've known a lot of so called old school controlling types who love to use the word loyalty for sychophancy. It can be all about power and control and underlying fear. They feel comfortable with sychophancy. From my binoculars, Braley knows Buono will never question him and Buono only feels comfortable with assistant coaches who operate in the same way.

If it was Stubler coaching our defense he would be gone...he was gone after two seasons - one a record breaking one and the second one our defense ranked 3rd. Yet Wally humiliated Stubler after the playoff loss and released him with Hufnagel picking him up in one second.

Yet Mark Washington's defense gave up 50 points to Montreal in the East Semi in 2014, 5 points to Calgary in the West Semi-Final in 2015, 24 points in the first half of the 2016 West Semi-Final, and 31 points in the first half of the 2016 West Final before losing by 42 to Calgary, and last season his defense gave up over 500 points, ranked 7th and finished last in quarterback sacks.

So why is Mark Washington here, let alone being considered the coach Wally wants to take over the reins when he retires? Its an interesting question.

I view Buono as a boss and not a leader and there is a difference.

I have watched every Leos coach since Dave Skrien to Benevedes and all in between from Jim Champion to Jeff Tedford, from Jim Champion to Larry Kuharick, from Joe Galat to Greg Mohns to Adam Rita, from ex-players attempting the job as Ron Morris and Jackie Parker. I've watched us win Grey Cups under Skrien, Mathews, Ritchie, Burratto, and Buono.

I remember the 4-11 season under Champion and his 1-9 start the following year, was disappointed Jackie Parker could only lead us to a 5-10 record, and suffered through a miserable 3-15 season under O'Billovich.

But none of them, even the quick and hot tempered Vic Rapp or the often cantankerous Dave Ritchie treated his players like Buono does.

I don't think any of us would want our boss to rip our face off, in front of all our other co-workers, let alone on national television. Its has to be a humilating and embarrasing experience for the players that Buono does that to. And there is not a single thing they can do about it either - they can be released the next day. Even the labor code doesn't protect them, as it does other non-union workers. In any other situation it would be considered a very serious abuse of power.

I also don't think any of us would want our boss to blame us publically when things go wrong and especially when the error is questionable. We would like it even less if we knew that the boss was only trying to deflect blame from himself to preserve his own image.

Those behaviors are not leadership behaviors. Leaders back their followers and when a follower or employee makes a mistake they deal with it privately. True Leaders are accountable, rather than look to castigate blame elsewhere.

The story of Travis Lulay is a hero's story. Its a story of his love of the game, of perseverance against difficult odds, of never giving up, no matter how much pain he has endured, the surgeries he has dealt with, the long rehab each time, and the positive attitude he has always approached the game with, even when losing his starting position.

In only his second game back as our starter, after a very long winter coming off knee reconstruction surgery, playing with still a lot of rust,and throwing for over 300 yards again, he deserved better than this from Buono. He's heroic in my books. Buono isn't.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:58 pm
ziggy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 am
Man I can’t believe some of the hate of Buono spewed on this site. We get it Blitz, you don’t like him! Unfortunately you are letting your hate blind you.
The perceived weakness of our coaching staff is greatly exaggerated by some on this site, but this is not atypical for a fan forum when the team has had limited success over an extended period of time under the same leadership.

In my view, we lack the elite strategic thinkers that some teams have.

In Edmonton, Maas is perhaps not an elite head coach, but he is perhaps the best OC in the league.

Calgary has Dickenson and Claybrooks, both excellent football minds, with Hufnagel upstairs giving guidance.

Saskatchewan has Jones, perhaps the best and most innovative DC of this generation.

Winnipeg has a top notch game planner in Lapolice, and O'Shea helping with special teams.

Toronto has Trestman, the QB whisperer.

I'm not sold on June Jones in Hamilton, but some are. I think they are bound for a big fall.

Ottawa is solid in its coaching, but nothing spectacular. Like us.

Montreal is questionable. Sherman is unknown in the CFL. Stubler is past his prime. Jones is so-so.
I have no problem with questioning a coaches call, it’s what us armchair athletes do. What I do have a problem with is personal attacks on coaches, be it making fun of how they speak, how they stand on the sideline, a facial twitch or whatever. I also think is crosses the line saying a coach has no class. It’s one thing to think we know more about football than the Head Coach, but totally another to mount what is nothing short of a personal vendetta. Time we all showed some class!
longtimefan
Starter

Personally I think Wally was and is the problem and will be glad to see him gone. O and D line has been horrible for the last 4-5 years. A total revamp is coming next year hopefully and if I was a coach I'd be looking at my options. Wally's day and ideas were done long ago...I hope the team is SOLD soon and maybe good things will happen in a year or two.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

To add some levity to this thread one of the hilarious parts of the game was one of those fan participation contests they did before the game. I saw it on one of the monitors in the concourse after it had already started so don't know who the sponsor was. Imagine if you will 2 garbage cans about 10 yards apart. Then there's several balls on the field. They may have been volleyballs, same colour but looked a bit bigger. Now add two contestants with the object being to put more balls into your garbage can than the other guy puts into his. Simple enough right? Not quite because the 2 contestants are hooked together by about 5 yards of bungy cord! It was hilarious watching them going back and forth in a bungy cord tug of war.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 pm
To add some levity to this thread one of the hilarious parts of the game was one of those fan participation contests they did before the game. I saw it on one of the monitors in the concourse after it had already started so don't know who the sponsor was. Imagine if you will 2 garbage cans about 10 yards apart. Then there's several balls on the field. They may have been volleyballs, same colour but looked a bit bigger. Now add two contestants with the object being to put more balls into your garbage can than the other guy puts into his. Simple enough right? Not quite because the 2 contestants are hooked together by about 5 yards of bungy cord! It was hilarious watching them going back and forth in a bungy cord tug of war.
The contests at TD Place pit Northsiders vs. Southsiders. A running tally through the year is kept and then one side of the stadium is declared champs at the end of the season.

I have only ever sat on the Northside but I secretly root for the Southsiders.... Mouchoir!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 pm
We could use that in our game instead of the Kiss Cam,
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz:
Buono in each game, stands on the sidelines, arms crossed, lip twitching. He has no head set, he usually isolates himself from his players and coaches, usually has no idea what offensive play has been called or what defensive formation or play call we are making on defense either. He just stands on the sidelines, tense, like a cobra, waiting to bite and keep biting.
Spot on! Never a criticism of his favourite coaches.

I'm not a Wally hater but I said when this idiotic arrangement was set up that the new GM who has proven twice he can hire HCs should have hired his own HC and fans wouldn't be be bringing up the long tail of mediocre teams that's hanging on Wally despite having the most wins ever by a CFL HC.

As Hugh Campbell used to say - it is never one play or one player to credit for a win or a loss and Lulay was not the guy who lost this game.

Wally ragging on Odell was something that I'd have done if my player pulled his stunt off and took a penalty for it. I don't agree with Wally ripping on his starting QB as that's the one player who can't play with too much adrenaline.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

I have no problem with questioning a coaches call, it’s what us armchair athletes do. What I do have a problem with is personal attacks on coaches, be it making fun of how they speak, how they stand on the sideline, a facial twitch or whatever. I also think is crosses the line saying a coach has no class. It’s one thing to think we know more about football than the Head Coach, but totally another to mount what is nothing short of a personal vendetta. Time we all showed some class! ziggy
I have read your posts Ziggy regarding the types of comments I make and others make regarding Buono. I respect your opinion, but I don’t agree that comments should be limited to Buono’s play calls.

A Head Football Coaching position of a professional football team is obviously much more than play calls (Buono doesn’t make many play calls during a game) or his technical knowledge. He is the face of the franchise and in the case of Buono, with our B.C. Lions, as GM and HC for most of his time here, he has not only been the prominent face of the franchise but quite often, the only face that is interviewed.

When a Head Football coach is hired, the process involves everything from his ability to develop players, motivate players, select players to start, to how he treats players and creates positive morale. The job position involves his public speaking abilities, as well as his availability in dealing with media. The job relates to his philosophy, coaching style, his coaching background, his personal background, his ability to work in a team concept with others, etc. etc.

In almost all Head Coaching position vacancies, the criterion most wanted from a Head Coach is Leadership Ability and Character - ability to build relationships – positive attitude– integrity – humility – selflessness – accountability – purpose – flexibility – thick skin – ability to connect – passion – integrity.

Therefore, a Head Coach is not only judged by his play calling but by his leadership skills, his character, how he deals with adversity, stress, and disappointment.

It is often said, to a certain degree, a team is a reflection of its Head Coach, or at the very least, a coach’s demeanor on the sidelines impacts his team in various ways. If he is poised, he helps to induce poise. If he is stressed, he creates more stress in his players, etc. etc. If he is accountable, he teaches his players to be more accountable too. In other words, he is supposed to be a role model to his players.

Should Wally Buono he held to a certain standard regarding the above. Yes, I believe that he should. In fact, I believe he should be held to the highest standard. Why? A number of reasons.

First of all, he is not only a Head Coach but a very experienced Head Coach. He was awarded the Order of Canada in 2015 and he inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2014.

Secondly, he is sometimes referred to as legendary and has self-referred as a ‘legend’. With that, there is increased accountability.

Thirdly, his salary is paid for, mostly due to Lion fans who pay for tickets to attend games and by advertisers, who pay for commercials based on the numbers of viewers who watch Lions games. In other words, he is our Head Football coach.

Finally, Buono is also identified as a ‘public Christian who balances his visibility as a public person, a celeberated figure in professional sports, and his life as a person of faith’.

For example, in an interview with Peter Stockland on July 17, 2017, titled ‘God Promises More’ Buono states the following:

1)“True success is God changing your heart” and that means he doesn’t separate his public visibility, his celebrity as a sports figure, and his faith. Buono said “My little theme is every day is Sunday. I don't separate them. Your life, your family, your work, everything you do, your faith is a part of it in some way”.

2) That his players know how, and on what he bases his decisions. “They know how I deal with people based on what I believe from the Biblical point of view”.

3) That he recognizes that he is more than just a football coach. In Buono’s own words: “When people ask you to speak at an event, whether it's a prayer breakfast or another event, then obviously your reputation is grown in the sense that people now realize that you're not just a football coach, or you're not just a businessman. There's more to you. I believe that when you're put in this position, that's a responsibility”.

4) Buono evaluates his players on performance but he also evaluates them on attitude and behavior going forward. In Buono’s words:

“My thing is that I don't judge you. I evaluate you. My job is very cut and dried. I’ve got to put the best product on the field, and build the best team. Those are two really different criteria. The best talent is not always the best person. With these players, I want them to help me feed my daughters, not marry them. If their behaviour is not appropriate, I can deal with that. If it's an attitude issue, I can deal with that. If it's a discipline issue, I can deal with that”

Therefore, since attitude and behavior are factors that Buono uses to evaluate his players, he should also be ‘evaluated’ in those areas by a high standard too.

5 In terms of his players Buono said, in this interview “You want to show them that you care about them as more than just athletes. If you treat them as just athletes, then you're just using them to achieve your goals. But there’s also trying to help them to develop as men, and deal with issues that are very difficult”.

6. Our B.C. Lions and Buono himself, do not only focus on Buono, the 'play caller'. One example is 'Wally Wednesdays', where we get interviews with Wally on fascinating topics like Halloween and how he spent his vacation - an attempt to package the man as a person and personality (and not just play calls) and therefore, his personality is deemed to be a factor in selling tickets or endearing him (or not) to Lions fans.

7. Buono has almost unlimited access to the media and press and can control who talks to the media and who doesn't. Sports reporters travel with the team and rely on access to Buono for their jobs and also risk the wrath of Buono when they write something he doesn't like. Buono also has a paid publicity and public relations department that works diligently to present and package Buono in the best possible light.

I don’t see how Buono chewing out his offence and Travis Lulay, after the delay of game penalty, and then publicly stating that the play was sent in on time ‘developed Travis Lulay as a man’ or helped teach him to ‘deal with an issue that was difficult’.

To me, it seems that Buono’s response was more in the line of ‘Wally only wanting to achieve his own goal of a successful season before hanging them up’ and Travis’s feelings didn’t matter.

I don’t see how embarrassing your starting quarterback (who has just fought his way back from serious reconstruction surgery and is playing his heart, in front of his peers and on national television helps to develop Lulay’s character, manhood, or deal with a difficult issue, in any positive way. I only use Wally's own words.

Whether Wally wears a head set, or whether he appears uptight and nervous on the sidelines, or whether he is detached or involved with his players during a game, whether he encourages his players, advises them, ignores them, or chews them out, are all factors impacting a football team.

If a Head Coach takes responsibility and is accountable or whether he blames his players in post-game press conferences has impact – perhaps even more impact than a play call in a game.

How a Head Coach presents in press conferences, whether he appears articulate and knowledgeable and accountable or whether he is condescending, avoiding, or blaming either inspire confidence in players and fans or doesn’t.

Jim Mora was fired for his famous “Playoffs, what playoffs?” post-game interview in which he also undermined Peyton Manning’s game performance led to his firing. Don Matthews was let go because of his media relations.It had nothing to do with his game calls. Mike Ditka, who renewed pride in the Chicago Bears franchise was let go because he couldn’t hold his temper with his players on game days and because it became more about him than his players.

As a public figure, as a celebrated and very experienced Head Coach, and as the Head Coach of our Lions, as well as a person who says its about developing young men and not just his own goals, Buono should be held to a high standard as well as his own public words and statements.

Everything that Buono does and says, along with his demeanor and behaviors on the sidelines, his public comments, his example or non-example, his leadership abilities and not just his play calls, are there for public scrutiny. He understands that as every Head Coach does. I highly doubt that he himself, would say that a Head Coach should only be scrutinized for his play calls.

Wally Buono had a choice after the loss to the Red Blacks. When asked about the delay of game penalty, he could have said that they would need to figure out what had gone wrong and make sure it didn’t happen again in the future.

Instead he was eager to hang Travis Lulay out to dry while avoiding stating the fact that we had a 3-point lead, with less than 2 minutes to go and our defense should have come through.

To me, leadership is more than just game calls. Its about character and behavior in the myriad of situations that a Head Coach needs to deal with, at practices, during games, in press conferences, in releasing players, in signing contracts, and especially when dealing with stressful or disappointing situations.

Buono had the choice to ask Travis what happened, after the delay of game penalty and he had the choice of how to deal with the situation in the press conference after.

Instead he lost his temper during the game, he didn’t focus on the next task at hand, which was to prepare Travis for his next series with a positive mindset, and he certainly ensured that Travis was made to feel responsible for the ‘lost opportunity’ after the game.

If this was a ‘one off’ it would be different. But it’s a pattern of behavior from Buono, over a long period of time. Travis Lulay has always been responsible and accountable. Buono has not.

Nor can Buono’s behaviors be given a free pass because they are not a ‘play call’.

As mentioned earlier in this post, Buono has all kinds of ways, including a paid public relations department and a website to present and package him in the best possible light and he works diligently to do the same.

I'm just a measly old die hard Leos fan writing some posts, amongst many other posts, that hardly have any impact, if at all, in terms of Buono's image.

My suggestion, ziggy, is that if you find my posts or others' posts that are upsetting to you, because they focus on other things other than Buono's play calls or you see them as a personal vendetta by me (its not personal) or a personal attack, perhaps it would be a good thing to put my posts or others that tend to do the same, on ignore.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 pm
I have no problem with questioning a coaches call, it’s what us armchair athletes do. What I do have a problem with is personal attacks on coaches, be it making fun of how they speak, how they stand on the sideline, a facial twitch or whatever. I also think is crosses the line saying a coach has no class. It’s one thing to think we know more about football than the Head Coach, but totally another to mount what is nothing short of a personal vendetta. Time we all showed some class! ziggy
I have read your posts Ziggy regarding the types of comments I make and others make regarding Buono. I respect your opinion, but I don’t agree that comments should be limited to Buono’s play calls.

A Head Football Coaching position of a professional football team is obviously much more than play calls (Buono doesn’t make many play calls during a game) or his technical knowledge. He is the face of the franchise and in the case of Buono, with our B.C. Lions, as GM and HC for most of his time here, he has not only been the prominent face of the franchise but quite often, the only face that is interviewed.

When a Head Football coach is hired, the process involves everything from his ability to develop players, motivate players, select players to start, to how he treats players and creates positive morale. The job position involves his public speaking abilities, as well as his availability in dealing with media. The job relates to his philosophy, coaching style, his coaching background, his personal background, his ability to work in a team concept with others, etc. etc.

In almost all Head Coaching position vacancies, the criterion most wanted from a Head Coach is Leadership Ability and Character - ability to build relationships – positive attitude– integrity – humility – selflessness – accountability – purpose – flexibility – thick skin – ability to connect – passion – integrity.

Therefore, a Head Coach is not only judged by his play calling but by his leadership skills, his character, how he deals with adversity, stress, and disappointment.

It is often said, to a certain degree, a team is a reflection of its Head Coach, or at the very least, a coach’s demeanor on the sidelines impacts his team in various ways. If he is poised, he helps to induce poise. If he is stressed, he creates more stress in his players, etc. etc. If he is accountable, he teaches his players to be more accountable too. In other words, he is supposed to be a role model to his players.

Should Wally Buono he held to a certain standard regarding the above. Yes, I believe that he should. In fact, I believe he should be held to the highest standard. Why? A number of reasons.

First of all, he is not only a Head Coach but a very experienced Head Coach. He was awarded the Order of Canada in 2015 and he inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2014.

Secondly, he is sometimes referred to as legendary and has self-referred as a ‘legend’. With that, there is increased accountability.

Thirdly, his salary is paid for, mostly due to Lion fans who pay for tickets to attend games and by advertisers, who pay for commercials based on the numbers of viewers who watch Lions games. In other words, he is our Head Football coach.

Finally, Buono is also identified as a ‘public Christian who balances his visibility as a public person, a celeberated figure in professional sports, and his life as a person of faith’.

For example, in an interview with Peter Stockland on July 17, 2017, titled ‘God Promises More’ Buono states the following:

1)“True success is God changing your heart” and that means he doesn’t separate his public visibility, his celebrity as a sports figure, and his faith. Buono said “My little theme is every day is Sunday. I don't separate them. Your life, your family, your work, everything you do, your faith is a part of it in some way”.

2) That his players know how, and on what he bases his decisions. “They know how I deal with people based on what I believe from the Biblical point of view”.

3) That he recognizes that he is more than just a football coach. In Buono’s own words: “When people ask you to speak at an event, whether it's a prayer breakfast or another event, then obviously your reputation is grown in the sense that people now realize that you're not just a football coach, or you're not just a businessman. There's more to you. I believe that when you're put in this position, that's a responsibility”.

4) Buono evaluates his players on performance but he also evaluates them on attitude and behavior going forward. In Buono’s words:

“My thing is that I don't judge you. I evaluate you. My job is very cut and dried. I’ve got to put the best product on the field, and build the best team. Those are two really different criteria. The best talent is not always the best person. With these players, I want them to help me feed my daughters, not marry them. If their behaviour is not appropriate, I can deal with that. If it's an attitude issue, I can deal with that. If it's a discipline issue, I can deal with that”

Therefore, since attitude and behavior are factors that Buono uses to evaluate his players, he should also be ‘evaluated’ in those areas by a high standard too.

5 In terms of his players Buono said, in this interview “You want to show them that you care about them as more than just athletes. If you treat them as just athletes, then you're just using them to achieve your goals. But there’s also trying to help them to develop as men, and deal with issues that are very difficult”.

6. Our B.C. Lions and Buono himself, do not only focus on Buono, the 'play caller'. One example is 'Wally Wednesdays', where we get interviews with Wally on fascinating topics like Halloween and how he spent his vacation - an attempt to package the man as a person and personality (and not just play calls) and therefore, his personality is deemed to be a factor in selling tickets or endearing him (or not) to Lions fans.

7. Buono has almost unlimited access to the media and press and can control who talks to the media and who doesn't. Sports reporters travel with the team and rely on access to Buono for their jobs and also risk the wrath of Buono when they write something he doesn't like. Buono also has a paid publicity and public relations department that works diligently to present and package Buono in the best possible light.

I don’t see how Buono chewing out his offence and Travis Lulay, after the delay of game penalty, and then publicly stating that the play was sent in on time ‘developed Travis Lulay as a man’ or helped teach him to ‘deal with an issue that was difficult’.

To me, it seems that Buono’s response was more in the line of ‘Wally only wanting to achieve his own goal of a successful season before hanging them up’ and Travis’s feelings didn’t matter.

I don’t see how embarrassing your starting quarterback (who has just fought his way back from serious reconstruction surgery and is playing his heart, in front of his peers and on national television helps to develop Lulay’s character, manhood, or deal with a difficult issue, in any positive way. I only use Wally's own words.

Whether Wally wears a head set, or whether he appears uptight and nervous on the sidelines, or whether he is detached or involved with his players during a game, whether he encourages his players, advises them, ignores them, or chews them out, are all factors impacting a football team.

If a Head Coach takes responsibility and is accountable or whether he blames his players in post-game press conferences has impact – perhaps even more impact than a play call in a game.

How a Head Coach presents in press conferences, whether he appears articulate and knowledgeable and accountable or whether he is condescending, avoiding, or blaming either inspire confidence in players and fans or doesn’t.

Jim Mora was fired for his famous “Playoffs, what playoffs?” post-game interview in which he also undermined Peyton Manning’s game performance led to his firing. Don Matthews was let go because of his media relations.It had nothing to do with his game calls. Mike Ditka, who renewed pride in the Chicago Bears franchise was let go because he couldn’t hold his temper with his players on game days and because it became more about him than his players.

As a public figure, as a celebrated and very experienced Head Coach, and as the Head Coach of our Lions, as well as a person who says its about developing young men and not just his own goals, Buono should be held to a high standard as well as his own public words and statements.

Everything that Buono does and says, along with his demeanor and behaviors on the sidelines, his public comments, his example or non-example, his leadership abilities and not just his play calls, are there for public scrutiny. He understands that as every Head Coach does. I highly doubt that he himself, would say that a Head Coach should only be scrutinized for his play calls.

Wally Buono had a choice after the loss to the Red Blacks. When asked about the delay of game penalty, he could have said that they would need to figure out what had gone wrong and make sure it didn’t happen again in the future.

Instead he was eager to hang Travis Lulay out to dry while avoiding stating the fact that we had a 3-point lead, with less than 2 minutes to go and our defense should have come through.

To me, leadership is more than just game calls. Its about character and behavior in the myriad of situations that a Head Coach needs to deal with, at practices, during games, in press conferences, in releasing players, in signing contracts, and especially when dealing with stressful or disappointing situations.

Buono had the choice to ask Travis what happened, after the delay of game penalty and he had the choice of how to deal with the situation in the press conference after.

Instead he lost his temper during the game, he didn’t focus on the next task at hand, which was to prepare Travis for his next series with a positive mindset, and he certainly ensured that Travis was made to feel responsible for the ‘lost opportunity’ after the game.

If this was a ‘one off’ it would be different. But it’s a pattern of behavior from Buono, over a long period of time. Travis Lulay has always been responsible and accountable. Buono has not.

Nor can Buono’s behaviors be given a free pass because they are not a ‘play call’.

As mentioned earlier in this post, Buono has all kinds of ways, including a paid public relations department and a website to present and package him in the best possible light and he works diligently to do the same.

I'm just a measly old die hard Leos fan writing some posts, amongst many other posts, that hardly have any impact, if at all, in terms of Buono's image.

My suggestion, ziggy, is that if you find my posts or others' posts that are upsetting to you, because they focus on other things other than Buono's play calls or you see them as a personal vendetta by me (its not personal) or a personal attack, perhaps it would be a good thing to put my posts or others that tend to do the same, on ignore.
Thanks for the advice, I will take it and leave you with your half dozen followers. I have always thought you posted some good info on football, but if you can’t see you are personally attacking Buono, over and over again, it’s best I get my info elsewhere and leave you to it. Sadly by moving on, I feel like I’m accepting behaviour that I know should not be accepted, but I take heart in the fact as you say, hardly anyone reads them!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 pm
Blitz:
Buono in each game, stands on the sidelines, arms crossed, lip twitching. He has no head set, he usually isolates himself from his players and coaches, usually has no idea what offensive play has been called or what defensive formation or play call we are making on defense either. He just stands on the sidelines, tense, like a cobra, waiting to bite and keep biting.
Spot on! Never a criticism of his favourite coaches.

I'm not a Wally hater but I said when this idiotic arrangement was set up that the new GM who has proven twice he can hire HCs should have hired his own HC and fans wouldn't be be bringing up the long tail of mediocre teams that's hanging on Wally despite having the most wins ever by a CFL HC.

As Hugh Campbell used to say - it is never one play or one player to credit for a win or a loss and Lulay was not the guy who lost this game.

Wally ragging on Odell was something that I'd have done if my player pulled his stunt off and took a penalty for it. I don't agree with Wally ripping on his starting QB as that's the one player who can't play with too much adrenaline.
From what I've come to understand about Hervey and what made him tick in Edmonton if he was offered the BC GM job without being able to select his own HC then he would have turned the job down. Hervey has never been one to allow himself to be somebody else's puppet.
pennw
Legend

ziggy wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:49 pm
Thanks for the advice, I will take it and leave you with your half dozen followers. I have always thought you posted some good info on football, but if you can’t see you are personally attacking Buono, over and over again, it’s best I get my info elsewhere and leave you to it. Sadly by moving on, I feel like I’m accepting behaviour that I know should not be accepted, but I take heart in the fact as you say, hardly anyone reads them!
Well said Ziggy , nice to see some one stand up and tell it like it is . I too have mostly given up on this forum for the same reason as you . It's too bad because there are some really good posters here like BCfan and Hambone( and many decent neutral posters ) who add so much value in much shorter posts , along with reality checks , facts and no vitriol. I have no problem with critiquing coaches (and do so myself) , but presuming to be able to read their minds( and attributing motive) is another thing . That I see as nothing but hatred , like you have pointed out. I don't read most of the trash anymore. Just fast forward to the decent posts , unfortunately as more leave here that portion becomes smaller all the time .
pendletone
prospect

Never post on here. Only a reader. Blitz doesnt need nor probably wants people defending him. But how does commenting on a coaches' demeanor or his handling of his players 'cross a line' ? Of course it matters. Handling your players as a coach during game, post game, and practice is a HUGE part of being a coach. Did he humiliate Willis on Friday Friday beyond reason? Maybe. The worst part was that it weakened the defence for an entire drive! How do you think the other players reacted internally to that?
Lulay on the other hand is by leaps bound and miles the defacto leader on this team. No Lulay right now NO chance. Reaming him out in game 2 of his, some would call, miraculous comeback is full of ego. Let's be real. Buono has the biggest ego in the CFL. Always has back to his Calgary days. Not necessarily a bad thing......when your winning because you have the best players by far and player personnel men. Not anymore. No Shivers anymore. No Ackles. No Hufnagel. Now, and for the past 5 years, his ego looks like a huge detriment.

Fair comments? I believe so.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OK I have to confess. The loss rests on my shoulders. As a buddy on Facebook just noted (the dick) the Lions are now 0-3 in Ottawa with me in the house; Friday night, 2004 Grey Cup and 1988 Grey Cup. My bad. ;)
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Peddletone wrote:

Never post on here. Only a reader. Blitz doesnt need nor probably wants people defending him. But how does commenting on a coaches' demeanor or his handling of his players 'cross a line' ? Of course it matters. Handling your players as a coach during game, post game, and practice is a HUGE part of being a coach. Did he humiliate Willis on Friday Friday beyond reason? Maybe. The worst part was that it weakened the defence for an entire drive! How do you think the other players reacted internally to that?
Lulay on the other hand is by leaps bound and miles the defacto leader on this team. No Lulay right now NO chance. Reaming him out in game 2 of his, some would call, miraculous comeback is full of ego. Let's be real. Buono has the biggest ego in the CFL. Always has back to his Calgary days. Not necessarily a bad thing......when your winning because you have the best players by far and player personnel men. Not anymore. No Shivers anymore. No Ackles. No Hufnagel. Now, and for the past 5 years, his ego looks like a huge detriment.

Fair comments? I believe so.

I have no problem with Willis being benched. He made a bonehead move going into the Ottawa bench and taking a penalty. He deserved to be benched. After he came back in, he was highly motivated, got a sack and played well.

As for Lulay, he screwed up. That time count violation may have cost the Lions the game. It prevented them from going for the touchdown and if they had made it, at least they would have gone to overtime. Cannot blame the officials for this. Lulay cut it way too close and it cost the Lions the game.

A coach has to have discipline and do not have a problem with Buono being upset with either Lulay or Willis. Both took bad penalties.

That being said, I think Wally should have retired after last year and he does have a big ego, but I cannot agree with your criticism.