RedBlacks 29 - Lions 25, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

On Herdman's play you have to think there is a role for him as a starter even if Sol E is playing. He showed some great play and leadership except for the winning drive when the unconfident Mark Washington DEF turned up.

WCJ...Neymar - was right - he seemed to have his head out of synch at times. I had to laugh at the panel's comments on Tyrone Neymar and them playing Neymar rolling around like he'd been shot from the grassy knoll. He took a couple of dives like looked good but Duane Forde is right - refs in football then ignore real penalties. Diving is only for the top pro soccer pros who earn more in a game than a CFL player gets in a year but have no shame when it comes to rolling around.

Wally not taking a long FG try versus believing pinning him (as they did) will win them the game over having some balls to take the long shot as other teams do and put out a cover team to prevent a long run back.

Rod Black noted how Wally with no head set has to wait and see the replay the fans see before challenging. That's one reason he's so indecisive.

I thought the snap came right on the zero and should have been let go as it affected the outcome of the game possibly and I'm not sure the ref wasn't too trigger happy to stop it BUT the rule is the rule.

There were some slow play calls in the game and some players not out when they should have been both on OFF and STs. That has to be on coaches.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

When Travis Lulay, with 2:53 on the game clock remaining, on first down on our own 18 yard line, hit Manny Arceneaux, behind coverage, for a 78 yard pass and run, the script appeared written. In his first game as our starter for 2018, Lulay had led our Leos to a come from behind victory with a deep throw to Bryan Burnham.

This time it appeared that it would be the Lulay to Arseneaux combination.The completion to Arseneaux was the longest completion for Lulay since his 2013 season.

Our Lions offence had struggled in the fourth quarter of this game. In our four previous offensive series in the fourth quarter, we had a Burnham fumble, couple of two and outs, and another in which we had only gained one first down before punting.

Our Leos had put Chris Rainey into the game, after Rutley’s injury, even though Rainey was obviously hobbling on his two previous attempts to run the football.

Ottawa had come back to tie the football game 22-22. But now the football was on the Ottawa 14-yard line. Of course, we ran the injured Rainey again, right up the middle on first down for 2 yards. Now, it was 2nd and 8, on the Ottawa 12 yard line.

The play came in late, Lulay thought he could get it off, Buono did not call a time out nor did Lulay, and the penalty and loss of down meant that Long had to come in and kick a field goal to put us ahead 25-22.

That meant that Ottawa would have to drive the length of the field, with 1.:54 left on the clock to score a touchdown, in order to win the game. If our defense even held Ottawa to a field goal, it would still give our offence enough time to come back and win this game. Our defense didn’t hold and Ottawa drove the football down the field and into our end zone.

Travis Lulay threw three incompletions our last drive of the game and reporters scrambled to change the titles of their story from “Lulay Leads Leos to Another Fourth Quarter Victory’ to “B.C. Blows Late Clock Management, Then Game’.

For some writers and fans, Lulay went from hero to goat, due to that delay of game penalty and the most responsibility for the loss. After the game, Lulay was left to defend himself and the late game time count violation as Buono blamed him on TSN for the penalty.

For others, it was another Mark Washington defensive collapse that took the brunt of the blame. A few laid it on Jarious Jackson, for sending in the play late and for using an injured Rainey to run the football in the fourth quarter, when it was obvious, he was limping and shouldn’t have been getting the football.

Of course, other fans jumped on Odell Willis, an easy lighting rod for his early penalty, for Bryan Burnham for his fumble, and for Ty Long for a missed field gaol and his dropped punt, which led to a turnover. Some also jumped on Winston Rose and Thompson for not coming up with interceptions when it looked as if the opportunities were there.

But even with those miscues or lost opportunities, the score was 25-22 for our Lions with less than two minutes on the clock. All we had to do was keep Ottawa out of our end zone and we would have won the game and if our defense had held Ottawa with a field goal, there would have been enough time on the clock to kick a winning field goal.

Even with Ottawa’s late touchdown our offence still had a chance but we didn’t make a single completion on three attempts.

Game over.

While there is enough blame to go around, the person most responsible for this loss, in my opinion is Wally Buono. I have many reasons for making the statement and its not just because he is the Head Coach.

Buono in each game, stands on the sidelines, arms crossed, lip twitching. He has no head set, he usually isolates himself from his players and coaches, usually has no idea what offensive play has been called or what defensive formation or play call we are making on defense either. He just stands on the sidelines, tense, like a cobra, waiting to bite and keep biting.

He had done that with Odell Willes earlier in the game. But when Travis Lulay took the delay of game penalty, Buono lit into everyone on the sidelines, including Lulay. Lulay finally lost it and yelled back at Buono. I have never seen Travis Lulay that angry or upset.

When Lulay three three incompletions on our last series I was not surprised. At that time of the game, with emotions high, its not the time for a Head Coach to chew out his starting quarterback. Nor should Buono have blamed Travis publically after the game either.

But the blame game is a Buono trademark, as is terrible clock management, as is terrible game decision making, as is losing his temper on a player on the sidelines, after coming off the playing field.

When I look at the all the great professionahl coaches in history, none of them behaved on the sidelines like Buono does. Even the great Vince Lombardi, as tough as he was, didn’t lose it like Buono on the sideliens. You didn’t’ see that behavior from a Don Shula or a Bill Walsh, Tony Dungy, Chuck Knoll, Marv Levy, or Tom Landy either. You only saw that type of behavior from an out of control Mike Ditka.

You don’t see that type of behavior from today’s successful NFL coaches like Bill Bellichick, Andy Reid, Pete Caroll, or Mike McCarthy either.

In the CFL, coaching legends such as Don Matthews, Frank Clair, Bud Grant, Marv Levy, Hugh Campbell never behaved this way nor do present day CFL coaches as Mark Trestmann, June Jones, Mike O’Shea, or Campbell behave this way either. You only see this type of behavior from a Jason Maas on occasion and it never looks good.

Buono may look like a grandpa now but he is still the same old Buono, always more than ready to lash out and humiliate a player on the sidelines, always coiled to lose his temper as if its his raison d’etre for being on the sidelines during a game.

I’m sure there are some fans who probably liked seeing Buono chew out Odell Willes. Willes may have just been trying to get off the field as quickly as possible. Its crazy to have both benches on the same sideline, as happens in Ottawa. Perhaps Odell did it intentionally. Who knows but it appeared as if Odell was trying to explain what happened.

But Buono couldn’t leave it at that and went at Odell again. It is abuse of power. It’s a lack of class and poise and emotional control. Its nasty stuff and Buono has always been a nasty man. I would hate to be the persons assigned to his dinner table when Buono goes into assisted living one day. He is as much fun as sliding up beside a rattlesnake.

Odell Willes eyes on the sidelines said it all. The smoke coming out of them was intense and my bet is that if Buono had talked to Willes on the street in the same way, Buono would be spending time in an E.R. and deservedly so.

Bench Odell, talk to Odell individually, fine Odell the following week but don’t embarrass and humiliate him in front of his teammates. Odell, presently, is tied for 2nd in the CFL in sacks. He has the most quarterback pressures by far of our defensive lineman as well as the most hits on quarterbacks. While his penalty gave the Red Blacks another opportunity, they were on their own 8 yard line.

No excuse for our defense to let Ottawa drive the length of the field afterwards but we had no pressure on that drive, after Odell was benched.

Nor was there any need for Buono to be yelling at his entire offence after Lulay’s delay of game penalty, including Travis. Buono should have just told Travis to let it go and be mentally ready to go back into the game.

Instead we had a very upset Travis Lulay, after being chewed out, going back into the game for our last drive in not the best frame of mind.
Of course, Buono conveniently forgot his screw up, last game, when he didn’t call a time out at the half and cost us a field goal.

I would have loved to see Ed Hervey or Rick LeLasheur come down to the sidelines during a game and lash out and get in Buono’s face and humiliate him in front of his team and the TSN cameras, following one of his many screwups.

It would give him a taste of his own medicine, in terms of the lack of respect, the lack of class, and the lack of professional he demonstrates with his own behavior.

Poise under duress, professionalism when dealing with adversity, and character, when things don’t go well are admirable qualities. Buono is so lacking in these areas, its embarrassing. Buono’s behavior has become our ‘normal’ but its not acceptable or appropriate. These are men and you treat them as men, and a little respect goes a long ways.

Here are some post game thoughts on this disappointing loss.

The GOOD

There was a lot of good in this game. Ed Hervey’s off-season work really showed up in this contest.. Steward continues to be hurt and Greaves comes in and plays well. He gets hurt and Godber comes in and plays solid until Greaves returns. Olifioye goes down and a rookie in Kneval comes in at right tackle and plays very well overall.

Jeremiah Johnson is unable to start and Rutley comes in and does a great job before getting hurt. He rushed for 91 yards on 17 carries and gave our offence a number of second and short situations. The addition of Ricky Collins paid dividends in this game. He was our second leading receiver with six catches and a touchdown.

Manny Arseneaux played like he was possessed, showing great speed and moves to lead our receivers with 151 receiving yards and we have begun to use Burnham deep again. He had two receptions for over 60 yds. and while his fumble was a lost opportunity, Ottawa went two and out following the play. Burnham needs to still be utilized more but he is being given the type of pass patterns now that utilize his strengths.

Travis Lulay threw for over 300 yds for his second game in a row. He was decisive and made some excellent throws. He was only 2 for 10 on deep throws against the Bombers but was much more accurate in this contest, hitting Manny, Burnham, and Collins on deep throws that were precise.

Lulay only completed 59.4% of his passes but a couple of drops hurt his completion average and he played with poise and confidence, except for our final series of the game. Lulay looked deep unsuccessfully a couple of times, on second and short, but that was likely where his reads took him. Overall, it was another Lulay outing that made one feel confident in his play.

Jarious Jackson called a very good game overall. He had an excellent mix of run/pass, a good mix of play calls, and a good balance between RPO, West Coast, and Modified Spread once again. The mix gave Lulay the opportunity to use play action and the time to go deep, as well as short.

On defense, it’s almost sacrilegious to say anything negative about Sol E. but I have posted that he was not having a good season against the run before getting injured.

Jordan Herdman came into this game and gave us much better defense against the run. His work, along with solid play from rookie Laurent and Forde inside really helped our defense finally do a decent job against the run. Powell only averaged 3.6 yards per carry in this contest.

THE BAD

While there were the miscues already mentioned, such as the Odell penalty, the missed Long field goal and dropped punt, the Burnham fumble, and the late game penalty and loss of down, the bad in this game was not due to errors on the playing field. Those plays were not helpful nor were the missed opportunities for interceptions.

The bad could be found in terms of two decisions. The first was reinserting a hobbling and obviously injured Chris Rainey into this game. He couldn’t run and he couldn’t block and he couldn’t have beaten anyone with a pass pattern.

Yet, still we ran him in the fourth quarter. Ottawa could see that he was injured and limited. Even if we had decoyed him, it might have made a little more sense.

We could have put Lumbala in as the ace back and used him to pass block in the fourth quarter. If we wanted to keep Ottawa honest, we could have used him once for a plunge. Lulay was throwing well and we could have gone to a short passing attack, used some bubble screens, etc.

Instead we put Lulay into second and long on three occasions by rushing Rainey inside for low yardage. The decision to put Rainey back into the game and keep running the football would have been Buono’s direction. Its his modus operandus but for this situation, it was not wise.

Defensively, our defense had played well overall. Leading 22-12 with time running down in the third quarter, we began to play more passively and more vanilla.

It’s a recipe for a Mark Washington defense in a tight game but it’s also a long standing Buono recipe for late stage football games that are close contests. Once again, that defensive philosophy cost us.

THE UGLY

Ty Long came in as a rookie last season and gave us booming punts and confident field goal kicking. He missed another makeable field goal in this contest but the ugly came when once again, he decided to act out a roughing the punter call that was embarrassingly done. He is not going to get any close calls if this continues. He needs to get back to focusing on the basics.

WRAP

When Travis Lulay was named our starting quarterback, some Leo fans thought that was all it was going to take for our Leos to go on a winning streak all the way to the Grey Cup, just like 2011.

Lulay has played well and given us optimism but you need more than just good quarterback play to have a winning team.

Our Leos averaged 21 points per game in Jonathan Jennings three starts. We’re averaging 22 points per game with Lulay at quarterback for his two contests. Lulay has thrown for more yards but the results have not shown up on the scoreboard due to missed opportunities or miscues.

I wrote, that until we got our defense fixed, I didn’t believe this team could get this season turned around. Willis is the only defensive lineman bringing consistent pressure. Knapton is not getting us a pass rush. Washington is allowing Coleman to be double teamed and is not scheming to get him one on ones.

We shut down the run in this game but we gave up 360 yards passing yards. Worst still, we allowed Sanopoli 11 receptions for 171 yards and never really adjusted, staying in zone and not attempting to force Ottawa to look elsewhere.

Mark Washington being discussed as our Leos next Head Coach. Give me a break. He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Davon Claybrooks as a future Head Coach.

Its just plain bad coaching and the direction for our defensive philosophy comes from Buono.

Buono can blow up at players during games or blame Lulay afterwards but the reality is that we need better coaching from our Head Coach and our Defensive Coordinator.

Until that happens, Travis Lulay or no Travis Lulay, this team is going to have its challenges.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 am
Good effort overall. One thing I recall from his Calgary days, Wally's teams always played hard. It was always tough and physical playing Calgary. I think that has not changed. Teams always reflect the coach.
But for the past several years, this team, regardless of personnel, seems mistake-prone. Really bad errors at crucial times. Lack of discipline. Usually losers in the turnover battle. Uptight. Even 3rd and 1s are a struggle. The really good teams in the CFL don't play this way.

This is all a reflection of the Head Coach, who stands on the sidelines barking at people, looking both angry and bemused. This sentiment may not be shared by all Lionbackers, but it is my belief; Wally would have retired by now were it not for David Braley. Braley, who has never had a good pulse on anything to do with this football club, just looks at his lifetime record of wins, remembers 2011, and says, "stay longer." Wally, to his credit, obliges out of loyalty.

It is quite evident to me this club needs a new voice.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ziggy
Legend

Man I can’t believe some of the hate of Buono spewed on this site. We get it Blitz, you don’t like him! Unfortunately you are letting your hate blind you.
Blitz
Team Captain

Well, you know, you know, you know what, you know, you know.....

Wally says the play was sent in by Jarious in plenty of time so he is essentially blaming Lulay.

He also focuses on that time count violation as a 'lost opportunity' rather than the defensive collapse on the Riders last drive of the game.

Buono's response is as expected, 'you know, you know, you know what'.

As for the comment that I am letting my 'hate' blind me, I don't 'hate' Buono. I just don't respect the way he coaches and I see a lot of flaws in his philosophy and decision making. I especially don't like the way he treats players or blames them either.

I was not surprised he didn't focus on the defensive collapse. If it had been Stubler coaching the defense, he would have been very critical of him. But its a different story for Mark Washington, who most believe he wants as his heir apparent, just as it was obvious that he had wanted Benevedes to be his heir apparent.

Wally had his day in the sun. In his last five seasons of coaching he has gone 8-10, 8-10, 11-7, 11-7, and 7-11. He is 2-3 so far this season. That gives him a losing record over his past 5 seasons and this year so far. Other than the 2011 season, we didn't look good in the playoffs with Buono at the helm either (or missed them completely as in last season)

I believe, if he had not hired Ed Hervey, we likely would be 0-5 so far this season. Wally would not have been able to bring in the free agent starters or the depth we've needed to utilize. I believe a couple more changes are needed (eg: Knapton either needs to step up or lost his spot) but this team has the talent to have an 11-7 season or better.

Over his last 11 games, stetching back to last season, Buono has won 3 of them and lost 8.

Wally says the play that was a delay of game call was sent in, in time.

Have a look at the play again for me WCJ, (i didn't tape it) and how long we took in the huddle and under center before the ref blew his whistle. Wally could have used a time out if he had one with one second left on the 20 second clock. In that situation, it would have been prudent.

I have just seen too many clock management problems over the years with Buono coaching this team, too often a lot of confusion in these types of situations also. It begs questions.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the great read, as always, Blitz.

Details. Insight. Point of view.

We had many ways to win the game. Some players were not sharp. Mistakes were made.

Shouting at Willis and shouting at Lulay is old style coaching. As you noted, Lulay was not the same on the final series. Three incompletions that never looked to have a chance. Willis was obviously upset at the shouted criticism. What good does shouting do for productivity? Nothing. What good does it do for morale, motivation or confidence? Nothing.

Was Lulay hustling to get the directions called? Yes. Was he too casual? No. Did he take the shouted criticism well? No. Did it seem to affect his play? Yes.

So the shouting lets off steam for Wally, but no doubt adversely affects the team.

Rolly is a great blocker and team guy, but should not a fullback be able to carry the ball effectively in a pinch? Should he not be a threat to the defence? Two little RBs got hurt. Then we were in trouble. How about a capable Canadian on STs who can really do RB duty, running and receiving effectively? Bad game planning. Either Lumbala or Mackie needs to be a viable running back if needed. If not, then we see the weakness in game preparation. We should not have sent Rainey back in. We had no other preparation. In my opinion.

Wally seemed to lose the team last year. He is wily and experienced, and he is under the gun, in his own right. The season is at risk. Heresy to criticize Wally? It goes with the territory, as Head Coach.

Number 1 ailment, in my opinion, is the porous defence. We did so much better stopping the run. But we caved against passes. No pressure on Harris.

The offence can be competitive.

The STs can be competitive.

The personnel is competitive.

But the defence is vulnerable, and it is easy pickings, at different times, both in the passing game and the run game.

Just in my opinion. Others will see things differently.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 am
Good effort overall. One thing I recall from his Calgary days, Wally's teams always played hard. It was always tough and physical playing Calgary. I think that has not changed. Teams always reflect the coach.
But for the past several years, this team, regardless of personnel, seems mistake-prone. Really bad errors at crucial times. Lack of discipline. Usually losers in the turnover battle. Uptight. Even 3rd and 1s are a struggle. The really good teams in the CFL don't play this way.

This is all a reflection of the Head Coach, who stands on the sidelines barking at people, looking both angry and bemused. This sentiment may not be shared by all Lionbackers, but it is my belief; Wally would have retired by now were it not for David Braley. Braley, who has never had a good pulse on anything to do with this football club, just looks at his lifetime record of wins, remembers 2011, and says, "stay longer." Wally, to his credit, obliges out of loyalty.

DH :cool:
I agree, David, about the dynamics of the working relatioship between David Braley and Wally Buono.

Braley, the absentee, aging owner trusts Wally, who gives him a sense of stability and solidity. Braley holds out for pie in the sky money to sell the team. Braley prevails on Wally to stay. Wally is loyal to Braley. He stays beyond expiry date. I would not be surprised if Braley, next year, still owner, wants Wally to stay, once again.

Hervey will have a say in the matter, one way or another.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am
Have a look at the play again for me WCJ, (i didn't tape it) and how long we took in the huddle and under center before the ref blew his whistle. Wally could have used a time out if he had one with one second left on the 20 second clock. In that situation, it would have been prudent.

I have just seen too many clock management problems over the years with Buono coaching this team, too often a lot of confusion in these types of situations also. It begs questions.
I did not tape it either, Biltz.

Lulay suggested the call might have been sent in a bit late. Lulay is all business in the huddle and at the LOS. Not casual or slow at all. The referee seemed to be leaning on his whistle to make the call. And so it went.

But the shouting was pointless in terms of productivity.

As noted, in that situation, it should have been an automatic, fast call on the game sheet. Boom. Boom. Keep the defence in shock, after the huge Lulay to Manny pass, catch and run. But the call and play developed slowly. It was a rare event, as it happened. And that is usually the way accidents happen. It is not usually one thing, but a number of things that coincide.

It happened. Shouting at your quarterback is pointless, aside from letting off steam and being the boss. It seemed to affect Lulay on our final series, with inaccurate, kind of desperate passing.

[Note for Jonathon Jennings: Just watch from the sidelines for a while, in readiness, without the pressure of being the starting quarterback. It is not necessarily over for you with this franchise, or, as might happen, with another franchise. This fan still believes in you. What you did in 2015 and 2016 was not a mirage. Regain your confidence.]

Just IMO ...

maxlion
Legend

ziggy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 am
Man I can’t believe some of the hate of Buono spewed on this site. We get it Blitz, you don’t like him! Unfortunately you are letting your hate blind you.
The perceived weakness of our coaching staff is greatly exaggerated by some on this site, but this is not atypical for a fan forum when the team has had limited success over an extended period of time under the same leadership.

In my view, we lack the elite strategic thinkers that some teams have.

In Edmonton, Maas is perhaps not an elite head coach, but he is perhaps the best OC in the league.

Calgary has Dickenson and Claybrooks, both excellent football minds, with Hufnagel upstairs giving guidance.

Saskatchewan has Jones, perhaps the best and most innovative DC of this generation.

Winnipeg has a top notch game planner in Lapolice, and O'Shea helping with special teams.

Toronto has Trestman, the QB whisperer.

I'm not sold on June Jones in Hamilton, but some are. I think they are bound for a big fall.

Ottawa is solid in its coaching, but nothing spectacular. Like us.

Montreal is questionable. Sherman is unknown in the CFL. Stubler is past his prime. Jones is so-so.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This sentiment may not be shared by all Lionbackers, but it is my belief; Wally would have retired by now were it not for David Braley. Braley, who has never had a good pulse on anything to do with this football club, just looks at his lifetime record of wins, remembers 2011, and says, "stay longer." Wally, to his credit, obliges out of loyalty.

Agree, Braley need to sell the club in the off season. No excuses
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No separation. Jump ball that Manny wins. With Burnham and Manny, why not go for it against single coverage? And why did Jennings stop going for it? Contradictory input from the staff? Whatever, throwing deep to Manny, Burnie and Ricky was a huge part of our good offensive display vs Ottawa.

2018-07-21_1343.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The protection looked good, but on closer inspection, Lulay just barely got the ball away, as the defensive ends were about to have a meeting at the quarterback. No separation for Burnham in the middle also.

2018-07-21_1347.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Long hits a fade, missing the FG attempt to the right. He had a very poor game. Dropped snap. Playing the Neymar acting card.

2018-07-21_1351.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Delayed rush inside collapses the pocket. Way too deep into the backfield. Lulay rolls out and almost fumbles the ball.

2018-07-21_1355.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2nd and 22. 3 man rush. 9 men back in soft zone coverage. Huge gap in the middle. First down. No pass rush. No coverage.

2018-07-21_1359.png

2018-07-21_1359_001.png