Some heat on the HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

For the first time, I am seeing evidence of a media spotlight being shined on Wally after 3 wins in the last 14 games (with two of those coming from Montreal). If not outright calls for dismissal, then certainly dysfunction that points to the man in charge.

* Marco was on Sportsnet 650 and said he notices that too many players are celebrating individual accomplishments. He doesn't observe players playing for each other. Isn't that a reflection on coaching?

* Suits was on TSN1040 yesterday and openly stated that the players appeared to be "nonchalant" in Winnipeg. Despite being respectful to Wally, he said, "players weren't going full speed, not playing with intensity." Sekeres (per Bob Irving, from Matt Nichols), "I never got touched once the whole game." http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-10443?smc=10

* Burnsie in the post-game thought the players were dogging it (thinking Burnham didn't do enough to catch Bighill). Caravatta and Farhan disputed this point tonight, but Farhan did offer last week that he has seen and heard from others that this is not the same intense Wally, with retirement around the corner.

* Pratt on TSN1040 gave an editorial suggesting it is time for a coaching change (and he's a Leos diehard!), https://www.tsn.ca/pratt-rant/video/pra ... ns~1436014

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not a surprise.

Staying for one more year, as announced, creates a lame duck situation. That would affect any coach, and how the players respond to that coach.

It would be surprising that Wally agreed to stay under these circumstances, except that he is very, very loyal to Braley. I expect Braley had his oar in the water, asking Wally to stay. Heck, Braley might do it again next year. As long as Braley owns the team, he wants Wally to coach. Any sign that Braley is about to sell? Doesn't seem like it.

And this is not the first rodeo where players have tuned out. It happened last year when Wally walked out of the locker room, saying the players were not listening, and delegated the pregame speech to Rolly.

It is not a good situation. And having a bunch of new veterans only makes it worse.

As the athletes sometimes say: "It is what it is."

It's not the way any coach would want to go out. Only rarely do athletes "play for a coach." The best athletes do indeed play for themselves, in a good sense, not in a selfish sense. On an excellent team the athletes to a degree play for their teammates. Like soldiers in war they keep going because of the guys beside them.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's high time that Buono be held accountable. Too often in the past Buono has been given a free get out of jail card because of his coaching record. What have you done lately ?
Spud387
Champion

Moot point. At the end of year Wally is retiring and there will be a coaching change. 0% chance with Wally's career and accolades that he gets fired in his last year.

There will not be a coaching change this year.
Rammer
Team Captain

3 wins in the last 14 games and 2vof those are vs Montreal?

Let that sink in...that is one game short of a full season. Wally it is time to step aside. The game has evolved beyond your 'execute' philosophy. Just watching O'Shea set several 'trick' plays knowing full well that they are going to give the Bombers a 90% chance to succeed vs Wally's conservative game planning, only adds to the fanbases frustration. Then O'Shea smugly smiles on the sideline laughing at the Lions futility, only looking forward to his numerous set plays still in the ready to deploy.

I don't like the mid season coaching change, generally for lack of better coaching being available. However I think the Lions have the coach in place to be the interim coach... Jeff Reinebold. It allows someone with a pulse on the team to implement a 180 degree change in HC style. He would also likely accept the Lions finding the next coach and stay in the organization if that was a condition given by the Hervey.

Of course if the season did turnaround and no doubt Reinebold would do as much in his power to accomplish that, he could set himself up to be the long term HC.

At any rate, the next set of games doesn't look very promising with the Luons current level of coaching.

Oh and btw, feel free to cut ties with Dorazio on any HC change. Time for a fresh approach.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I could certainly support Reinebold as the interim coach. He certainly has more credibility than Mark Washington or Dan Dorazio in my opinion.
CardiacKid
Legend

When the plan was announced that Wally was going to be HC for one more year and then bid adieu, one of my first thoughts was it may be necessary for some of the players to take even greater leadership roles than in the past. As much as folks deny it, there has to be a whiff of lame duck around the organization. The kindest term would be transitional.

Guys like Travis, Solly, Rolly, JJ24, etc., may have to step up even more to become the rallying point for the team. It might involve grabbing some guys by their metaphorical collar and dragging them forward. Maybe even losing it in the locker room and going all ape-sh*t on bad effort.

Wally might not be comfortable with such a scenario but he could be very wise to get the team vets to play a greater role in securing team unity.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm
When the plan was announced that Wally was going to be HC for one more year and then bid adieu, one of my first thoughts was it may be necessary for some of the players to take even greater leadership roles than in the past. As much as folks deny it, there has to be a whiff of lame duck around the organization. The kindest term would be transitional.

Guys like Travis, Solly, Rolly, JJ24, etc.
, may have to step up even more to become the rallying point for the team. It might involve grabbing some guys by their metaphorical collar and dragging them forward. Maybe even losing it in the locker room and going all ape-sh*t on bad effort.

Wally might not be comfortable with such a scenario but he could be very wise to get the team vets to play a greater role in securing team unity.
I would hope if it takes the leadership core within the locker room to give their team mates a collective boot in the butt then that is exactly what they will do. I'd like to think Wally would absolutely support that. It's every bit as much the responsibility of the players in the room to demand accountability from each other as it is the coaching staff. This is now a veteran laden team that should not lack in leadership qualities unless Hervey misjudged said qualities all these new players brought with them. If there is a problem perhaps it's that with so many new additions it might take some time for the leadership group to sort itself out and start working cohesively.

As for the idea of a lame duck coach there is not one player who did not know as of last December what the Lions coaching situation would be for 2018. Despite that many were willing to restructure deals. Other 2017 Lions signed new deals or extensions. Many CFL veterans bought in by signing as free agents. Based on some of Hervey's comments we were led to believe these players embraced if not relished the idea of playing for Wally in his final season. IMO at this early point of the season the lame duck coach excuse if used by the players is a total copout and sadly says more about them than the coaching staff.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Huge Talent
Starter

Wally is like your dad... He's out of touch with the times, he's wrong, he's clueless. But... Then something good happens. What wisdom! Hall of famer! He was right! They just needed to bleeping execute!

Of course, a coach always looks better when they have a QB who can make a read.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Some very questionable coaching decisions tonight. On 3rd and 1 Lions decided to go into shutgun and hand off. Runner was stuffed at the line of scrimmage for no gain. The second decision was allowing the clock to run out at the end of the 2nd quarter without even attempting a field goal. Thought Damon Allen was running the offence.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Huge Talent wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:54 pm
Wally is like your dad... He's out of touch with the times, he's wrong, he's clueless. But... Then something good happens. What wisdom! Hall of famer! He was right! They just needed to bleeping execute!

Of course, a coach always looks better when they have a QB who can make a read.
True. Coaches look a lot smarter with a good QB at the controls. Lulay gives the Lions a chance to win. He made the Jarious Jackson offence look dangerous tonight, just as he made the Khari Jones offence look almost unstoppable last year.
TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 pm
Some very questionable coaching decisions tonight. On 3rd and 1 Lions decided to go into shutgun and hand off. Runner was stuffed at the line of scrimmage for no gain. The second decision was allowing the clock to run out at the end of the 2nd quarter without even attempting a field goal. Thought Damon Allen was running the offence.
I have great respect for Wally and his legacy but I thought he was done at halftime. I yelled at him as he walked past me to the locker room that the first half was embarrassing and I commented in the game thread that the game had passed him by. But then Mike O'Shea made some monumental blunders of his own to let the Lions back in the game. And then there's Lulay, who took advantage of O'Shea's blunders and led the team to victory. I suspect Wally will make it through the season, and it might be a good one after all.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 pm
The decision to gamble on 3rd down is all on Buono. The plays selected for those gambles are all on Jarious. The execution is all on the players.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.