Bombers 41 - Lions 19 -- Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ugly game.

Embarrassment.

Shameful.

A well coached team vs an abysmally coached team. One could blame the coordinators. No. It is on the Head Coach.

Space age versus prehistoric age. Headset versus no headset.

Hervey should have emptied out the coaching staff.

Wally should have retired.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Fajardo in.

2nd and 7. Short pass for 2 yards. Does our playbook have any long pass routes? Did Wally rip those out? ''We can't have so many interceptions. Jarious, do not dare to call any long pass plays. Better and safer to go 2 and out.''

Risk taking? ''I will use our challenge in the first 5 minutes and win it. And Jarious wii congratulate me.'' Then I can contemptuously throw the stupid flag away.

Next week? Tough to think about it.

Odell mugging for the cam. About right for the situation.

Onside kick with 10 seconds left, down 22 points? :dizzy:

Start Fajardo next week. He is not destroyed yet.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

yukonlion
All Star

i would start fajardo , but i don think it makes a difference with our O&D play calling. no intermediate passes, no pass rush, no db coverage... did we blitz tonight? didi Odell play? ..
totall shellacking
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If Lulay isn't ready to start next week, put hom on the 1 game IR and let Ricky Lloyd get some reps in next week's loss.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

1-2 record but that's the least of their problems.
This product is unwatchable. CFL should be about a wide open game and your star players making plays, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
Not this crap. Jennings' struggles on top of an ultra-conservative scheme is as ugly as it gets. Down 3 TDs to start the second half and no desire for a quick strike or to stretch the Bombers defence. Unacceptable.

The defence is all on Mark Washington. It was bad before the wholesale changes and remains after with the same coaching philosophy in place.

Frustrating watching innovative and creative coaching on the opposite sidelines and our head coach way past his best before date.
Fan7
Rookie

Like Wally said, “the players didn’t execute”.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Head Coach Wally ... Fail

DC Mark ... Fail

OC Jarious ... Fail

OL Coach Dan ... Fail

STs Jeff ... Pass, but slipping.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Xs and Os expertise vs Amateur Hour. Not fair to amateurs. Many good coaches there.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Wally must have known this would be the scenario. When he walked out of the locker room, delegating the pregame speech to Rolly last year, that was the death knell.

Loyalty to Braley kept Wally in. All it does is tarnish his legacy, and very seriously damage the franchise.

Is this year a writeoff? How the heck do you salvage it?

Can Mark W coach a defence?

Now one wonders: Can Jarious coach an offence?

What to do for Wally? Show up for work. Do your best. Trust your assistants. Let them go with their instincts. Abdicate in all but name.

The hodge podge of philosophies right now is chaotic. Risk taking? Without a long passing game? LOL Gunslinger? Gone. Game manager? √ Yup. No passes over 9 yards.

Suitor counted at least 6 very creative plays by the Bombers in the first half. Plays that take advantage of the rules.

A case study in bad coaching. Like a fan's nightmare.

Back later ...

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m out of town and could only watch the play by play on cfl.ca. For once I didn’t regret missing the TV broadcast.

I have had doubts about the coaching staff from the start of the season, particularly the Jarious Jackson offence, which relies on short passes
and first-down efficency. If the defence knows you will likely run on first down and won’t or can’t throw passes of more than five yards, the offence is easy to stop.

Before the game, Ed Willes wrote a damning indictment of Jonathon Jennings, whose job was on the line, according to Wally and Jackson, because he was inconsistent, indecisive and struggling to pick up the offence.

The Lions probably need a change of coaches, coordinators and quarterback. As usual, the quarterback will likely be the first to pay the price. I’d be willing to cut ties with Jennings altogether. I have more confidence in Lulay, Fajardo and Lloyd than Jennings to lead than team on and off the field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Although it is early in Jarius Jackson career as an Offensive Coordinator, I am less than thrilled. No real difference in Khari Jones' offence. Why are they ignoring Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham ??
yukonlion
All Star

yes i agree , seems no different, or even worse than last year.... running game seems better but itsnt opening up the passing game!!
Spud387
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 pm
Before the game, Ed Willes wrote a damning indictment of Jonathon Jennings, whose job was on the line, according to Wally and Jackson, because he was inconsistent, indecisive and struggling to pick up the offence.
I agree with Willes. I was never sold on Jennings, even in his break out year (full disclosure I am a big Lulay fan and definitely didn't give Jennings any benefit of the doubt).

Everyone was raving about this QB (especially TSN) who had a great arm and could throw it deep. This is true he has a great arm, but a lot of what I saw was him throwing it into close coverage and his receivers winning the battle for the ball. The the following year or late that season TSN showed a stat on the that showed how many difficult catches different receivers made and which QBs benefited the most. Jennings was atop that list as being the QB that benfitted the most by a good margin. This threw a big warning sign as Jennings may not have been as good as he appeared and it was his receivers having an exceptional year. He showed promise that first year, but that appears to have been an anomaly as he hasn't come close that performance since.

I don't think we can win with Jennings, no matter the coaching and need to seriously look at his replacement as the next QB.
LionsLip
Rookie

Sadly, I'm finding the post game comments more entertaining than the game its self.....and that is not very funny! We are in big trouble people, it will probably get worse before it gets better and will take a while......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What happened to Jennings to lose his confidence from the first game to the second, never mind tonight's fiasco ?
yukonlion
All Star

he was pretty pedestrian in the first game... hes onbviously scared to throw a pick and wont go long intermediate... Ds know that , and now hes missing guys 5 yards away... bad coaching making him too worried about making a mistake