Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 am
I'm still in a state of shock. I never thought I would see a new Lions offensive system in the Buono era. After years and years of anguish, (and writing too many posts reflecting my despair) our Leos will feature a new offensive look for 2018.
Jarious Jackson isn’t keen on giving away the keys to his offence, but the new offensive co-ordinator of the B.C. Lions says his scheme represents a new look and philosophy for the Leos.

On Tuesday, the Lions held their first day of practice in pads and unveiled some of the concepts Jackson has installed. Loosely stated, the offence seems to be more rhythm-oriented with an emphasis on the run-pass option favoured by several CFL and NFL teams.

Head coach Wally Buono, for one, was impressed.

“The ball’s out of the quarterback’s hand,” said Buono. “It doesn’t put a lot of stress on the protection. The (motion) is going to help the running game. I liked what I saw.”
(Vancouver Province)
That is amazing, Blitz.
On Tuesday, the Lions held their first day of practice in pads and unveiled some of the concepts Jackson has installed. Loosely stated, the offence seems to be more rhythm-oriented with an emphasis on the run-pass option favoured by several CFL and NFL teams.
Run-pass option. Immediate pressure on the defence. Not waiting for the defence to attack the QB in the passing game.
“The ball’s out of the quarterback’s hand,” said Buono. “It doesn’t put a lot of stress on the protection. The (motion) is going to help the running game. I liked what I saw.”(Vancouver Province)
"out of the quarterback's hand" ... Wow. No more target for the defence, as in "meet at the quarterback," in the pocket. LOL

"doesn't put a lot of stress on the protection" Wow, once again. When teams knew our QB would be in the pocket, with well-scouted pass routes, it was highly motivating for them. No such certaintly now.

"help the running game" ... Yup. We might be entering the modern age of football offence.

As noted numerous times, Wally is a survivor. He finally moved away from what had served him so well for so many years. That is with the offence, it seems.

For the defence? Hmmmm ... We will see soon enough if we will get the same old ultra conservative package.

STs? We expect modernization and innovation with Jeff Reinebold.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Emphasizes just how awful Khari Jones was / is as an OC.
David
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 am
Emphasizes just how awful Khari Jones was / is as an OC.
Yes and no Lion Guy. Jones was green, but it could also be that he didn't have much influence. We don't know what he wanted to do but was "dissuaded from doing" by the Godfather. We'll find out soon enough how well designed Montreal's offence is this year.

As for us, this is great news. Jarious is the guy I've wanted here for some time and Wally is finally foregoing his conservative ways. The stars are aligning. Hallelujah!

Perhaps this is the end to our over-emphasis on a spread offence with slow developing plays from shotgun (defenses pinning back their ears 'cause they knew what was coming), reliance on slots that are covered, and a running attack featuring just the inside zone read with zone blocking. This could be like moving from VHS tape to 4K Blu-ray!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If that April camp was any clue to how Jarius Jackson will operate as OC - not the plays - but the QB work it points to a well prepared offensive coach promoted now to OC who understands what it takes to develop to QBs.

The decision to go with a stronger coach and let Stef Kruck go as QB coach has paralleled the gradual closing of Wally's QB factory and Alex Ross was likely the latest casualty. Maybe he can't play at this level but his tryout tapes showed promise but when he got his chance it didn't work out here.

Wally is definitely in a transitioning mode and no doubt is letting Jackson bring in concepts he's worked with under Chris Jones and his OCs both in Edmonton and Sask. There must be some reason Jarius followed Jones and wasn't knocking down the doors on other teams to be their OC. He knows Wally well and is not afraid to stand up to him as we know from his playing days - so his coming here as OC is no doubt coming as a guy who can put in new concepts versus just run what Wally wants. He also was in Edmtn under Hervey's reign as GM.

As an aside saw Hervey on the sidelines at their April camp in Surrey and he's sure a confident, cocky dude who you can see could be prickly if he doesn't like something. Not surly but you can see how he could potentially rub some the wrong way. That got him fired in a cowardly manner versus what we'd do in business - lay it out for the person as to what success looks like and the corollary - what leads to failure.

The X factor in all of this will be what versus of J Jennnings turns up here and if he fails is Lulay able to survive. At a certain point, the injuries with these players put the player closer to one career ending hit and Travis is about on his 3rd life here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What took Buono so long to realize his quarterbacks were getting killed under the old system ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Gabriel Knapton is the ultimate competitor. Big, strong and fierce. The beard just adds to it. Kind of a lumberjack look. When he straps on the helmet, he’s ready to hit anybody in site. So you’ll have to forgive him if he’s feeling a little antsy as he kicks off training camp with a new squad.

Just like last season, the BC Lions are opening camp with two days of lighter practices. More like walkthroughs and ‘install’ as opposed to the more intense two-a-days that involve pads, one-on-ones and team drills. Knapton does agree it has its benefits.

“Personally, yeah I’d like to just come out and start hitting,” the new defensive end said after Sunday’s morning session.

“It just kind of loosens me up easier, I guess. Just to get that first smack out of the way, I like that. But this is good too. When you’re coming into a new scheme it’s good to slow down a little bit. You can be physical after you get that material absorbed.”

Wally Buono is entering his 25th and final season as a CFL coach, so you know he has seen more changes to training camp and practice routine than many of his peers. The league’s all-time leader in victories says this method has more positives than negatives.

“I think it does a lot of things,” Buono explained.

“One, it allows the players who have come from all over North America to get their legs under them, get some rest as far as it not being too physical. It helps them to understand what the coaches are expecting of them because for a lot of these guys this is the first time around. There’s an awful lot of information, not only being given out about the playbook but about the difference in the (Canadian) game.”

It also allows Buono and his staff to simplify things as they get a first look at some of these new bodies, Knapton among the most intriguing. In four seasons and 68 games with the Montreal Alouettes, Knapton has recorded 175 defensive tackles and 32 sacks and was the Alouettes’ nominee for Most Outstanding Rookie in 2014.

He is excited to build on that success and help the Lions’ front cause more fits for the quarterback, but first comes the task of standing out in what should be a downright nasty competition on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

“Being competitive and being in a competitive environment brings out the best in every single player,” Knapton said.

“You want guys who are clawing with their fingernails to get your spot. That’s only going to do one thing: make you play better. We have a bunch of guys here that are hungry, that are looking to make a team and we’re all going to help each other on the field. Everybody is fighting for their job and fighting for their family. It’s a good environment to be in.”

Rolly Lumbala, in his 11th training camp, is the club’s longest-serving player. The fullback doesn’t take much stock in how the first couple of practices may be structured. He is just grateful to still be playing the game he loves.

“It’s great. It gets you to get your feet from under you, learn the offence and feel comfortable, but we look forward to the first day in pads always. It’s a blessing. I’m just thankful that I’m still able to perform at a high level, I don’t take anything for granted, so I still feel like I’m a rookie and that I have to prove myself every year.”

Two veterans on opposite sides of the ball embracing the challenge from young and hungry newcomers. That’s the kind of leadership that helps build winners. Once they strap on those pads and the real fun begins, it could go down as one of the more intense camps in recent memory for a franchise looking to send a legendary coach out on a high note.

“It feels good to be on the field,” Buono added.

“It’s nice to see all the hard work that’s been done since Ed has been here to try and assemble a football team. It’s noticeable that guys are bigger, it’s a very athletic group and it’s going to be interesting to see how it all works out.”

Camp News and Notes

Speaking of that practice format: once the padded workouts begin on Tuesday, most double days involve back to back practices from 8:30-10:30 AM followed by a quick hydration break and second workout from 11:00 AM-12: 20 PM. It will be quite the adjustment from the traditional morning and late afternoon workouts of years past.

Six-time CFL All-Star Jovan Olafioye is expected to report to Kamloops for his physical on Monday and hopefully practice with his new/old teammates for the first back-to-back day on Tuesday. His addition should give the Lions some meaty options on both the right and left side.

One interesting camp storyline is always that of the guest coaches. This year’s group has some international flavour. Lars Carlsen is here to assist Jeff Reinebold with the special team units. Carlsen hails from Denmark, where he began his coaching career with the Kronberg Knights in 1990. Carlsen is also the director of the Danish American Football Association.

Mexico City native Carlos Rosado is working with the receivers. Rosado played in NFL Europe with the Barcelona Dragons and Amsterdam Admirals. He has also worked as a football analyst for Fox Sports. Former defensive lineman and 2011 Grey Cup champions Khreem Smith is serving as a guest coach under defensive line coach Randy Melvin.

Name change alert: defensive back AJ Jefferson, added in the opening hours of free agency, is now legally known as Anthony Orange.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/20/day- ... alm-storm/
David
Team Captain

According to an article in Postmedia, the players who stood out on Day 1 (with pads) were:

Shaq Johnson
Odell Willis

I also understand that David Foucault looks to have greatly improved over the winter. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

Ullrich on Jarious Jackson and his new offence posted below

All of our offensive coordinators in B.C. since 2005 ran the same offence. Chapdelaine, Dorazio, Khari Jones, Shultz, and Jones again.

The only variations to that offence were in 2007, with Hufnagel being brought in as an offensive consultant and Steve Kruck calling the plays and also the last two thirds of the 2011 season and 2012. Chapdelaine brought a lot of new variations to the offence in 2011 and 2012, when he really used a lot of motion and misdirection.

But, with those two instances aside (and we still retained a lot of the old offence in 2007 and during 2011 and 2012), its been same old, same old.

Jarious Jackson's offensive thinking has been shaped by many role models and Buono is not his only influence or even an important one in terms offence. Jarious is not a 'mini-me' of Wally in his thought processes, as a Mike Benevedes was.

Jarious is definitely his own man..

It will be intriguing to see the changes Jarious will bring to our Leos offence in 2018.
ULLRICH: B.C. Lions put trust in new OC Jarious Jackson
Posted on May 23, 2018 by Lowell Ullrich

The question is among the biggest of training camp in Kamloops for the B.C. Lions yet can’t be answered until Jarious Jackson is at work as offensive coordinator for the CFL team in a regular season game for the first time in his career.

If you’re trying to figure out whether the Lions will be more successful with another newbie than they were with Khari Jones calling the plays with relatively the same experience starting out, it’s at least idyllic to look at Jackson’s resume and the coaches who have been an influence along the way.

That was a topic at training camp Wednesday when Jackson was asked about influences as a means to peek under the covers at what veteran players have described as a new Lions offence.

The names thrown out, from Mike Shanahan with the Denver Broncos to Scott Milanovich with the Toronto Argonauts, was impressive, but only served to illustrate their combined Super Bowl and Grey Cup coaching wins (4) equals Jackson’s career hardware haul.

It hardly amounts to any guarantee of success in his first season in charge of a three-down offence, but the Lions are more than confident their former quarterback is a better fit as a play-calling mentor for incumbent starter Jon Jennings this year than Jones.

“I just look back at things that work,” said Jackson. “I don’t care if it’s Oklahoma in college or the Seattle Seahawks when Darrell Bevell was there with the style of quarterback they have with Russell Wilson. You pull things from different people and transform it to your game.

“If you’re a basketball player you watch Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson and you try to intimate things they do, and you may be athletic enough to also dribble the ball like Allen Iverson. You morph those things and make it your game.

“For me I went to Notre Dame. I have things from there. I have things from Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak which come from Denver. It’s all west coast offence. You have to give credit when it comes to Scott Milanovich and Jacques Chapdelaine; all of those guys have had influence.”

So dare to dream if you insist.

What may or may not be slightly more informative are the offensive numbers since Jackson left the Lions in 2014 and worked for four seasons alongside offensive coordinator Stephen McAdoo in Edmonton and Saskatchewan as pass game coordinator.

In Edmonton, Jackson worked with Mike Reilly and the Eskimos finished no worse than second in yardage during two seasons. With the Riders the last two years, Jackson worked with Darian Durant and Kevin Glenn behind centre and the Riders finished in the bottom two in rushing and the bottom half of the league in passing.

So there’s no parallel in which to gauge whether Jackson can revive Jennings, which trumps every serious camp storyline associated with the Lions despite the litany of feel-good, behind-the-scenes pieces that dominate the agenda.

It is simply far easier to give in to the good vibes coming from the central characters that are always in overabundance in camp.

“He has a good structure in the way he does things,” Jennings said of Jackson. “We’re going to utilize my strengths with (run-pass option) stuff like a lot of teams do but there’s going to be a good balance.”

“Without being too critical or comparing (to Jones), the one thing with Jarious is that it just look likes there’s a lot more motion and misdirection,” said coach Wally Buono.

“You don’t want to get too far ahead but you can see the play-action more, the quarterback is moving more, and you can see the ability to get the ball in the hands of playmakers.”

Or, with Joel Figueroa and Jovan Olafioye as replacement tackles and a much beefier David Foucault looking comfortable early at right guard, the Lions might simply be better because the quarterback won’t have to constantly consider running to safe his football life. Influences and statistics be damned.

LIONS TALES: Foucault is listed at 315 pounds by the club, up 10 from last year, and there’s talk that gain is a conservative estimate. BC has a job opening with the exit of Kirby Fabien on the offensive line and so far Foucault is making sure rookies David Knevel or Peter Godber don’t get a chance. “Last year was new for him and for some reason he dropped a lot of weight which effected his strength. He’s a powerful man and the extra work and weight he’s done in the off-season is very evident,” Buono said of Foucault…. Buono and Stampeders president John Hufnagel were major proponents of the rule change passed by the league Wednesday that bans the ability of coaches to challenge illegal contact penalties. “The biggest thing we wanted to do was get the fishing out of it,” Buono said… Travis Lulay experienced knee swelling after the first back-to-back practice of camp Tuesday and didn’t participate Wednesday.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Marty Hastings of Kamloops This Week has more on Jarious Jackson's offence:
Curious Jarious Jackson wondered aloud what his players were revealing about the new offence he is installing.

“What are they saying? Not much? Well, that’s good,” said Jackson, who was hired to be the B.C. Lions’ offensive co-ordinator when Khari Jones was let go in December. “You don’t want to give away all of your secrets.”

Jackson was mum on a few things, but training camp in the Kamloops desert isn’t quite Area 51 and it’s already clear the offence will be alien to Jones’ offering, which last season produced the third-least points in the CFL.

Quarterback Jonathon Jennings, looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued and inconsistent 2017, expects the ball will be coming out of his hands much quicker than last year.

Bryan Burnham, who has racked up 2,594 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns over the last two seasons, said receivers will be lining up all over the map, not limited to starting routes on the left or right sides of the field.

Head coach Wally Buono, now 68 and in the swan song season of his Hall of Fame career, has seen more play action, more quarterback movement, more pre-snap motion and more misdirection — and we’re only a few practices in.

With so many new wrinkles in methodology and terminology, the Lions will be hard-pressed to be running at full steam come their Week 1 matchup against the Montreal Alouettes at BC Place Stadium on June 16.

“It’s a steep learning curve,” backup quarterback Travis Lulay said. “We had access to a lot of the install beforehand, so we were familiar with some of the terminology and the concepts, but getting out here and installing them with the formations and the movements of formations that are already built in, it’s a challenge. But that’s what training camp is for.”
Jackson, the former Lions’ pivot who has developed a reputation for good coaching work with QBs, was hired in part to make sure 25-year-old Jennings gets back on track this year.

Catering to Jennings’ strengths, which include elite athleticism and a rocket arm, is part of the plan.

“Whatever he’s comfortable with,” Jackson said. “There’s no need to put plays in that we like that he can’t execute.”

More specifics for what to expect on offence were not on offer.

“We’ve got some wrinkles I don’t want to talk about,” Jackson said.
B.C. Lions' offence aiming for better in 2018
Offensive co-ordinator Jarious Jackson keeping quiet on details
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Lowell Ullrich ...
“He has a good structure in the way he does things,” Jennings said of Jackson. “We’re going to utilize my strengths with (run-pass option) stuff like a lot of teams do but there’s going to be a good balance.”

“Without being too critical or comparing (to Jones), the one thing with Jarious is that it just look likes there’s a lot more motion and misdirection,” said coach Wally Buono.

“You don’t want to get too far ahead but you can see the play-action more, the quarterback is moving more, and you can see the ability to get the ball in the hands of playmakers.”
Or, with Joel Figueroa and Jovan Olafioye as replacement tackles and a much beefier David Foucault looking comfortable early at right guard, the Lions might simply be better because the quarterback won’t have to constantly consider running to safe his football life. Influences and statistics be damned.
That is how this fan sees it.

Protect your quarterback. Playbook. Game plans. Play calls. Personnel. Pass protection. Execution.

Attack the opposing quarterback. Glad to hear Odell Willis is looking good. He has had many very productive years in the CFL. He might have something left in the tank. Conservative defence, however, is not about attacking the quarterback. We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 am
From Lowell Ullrich ...

Protect your quarterback. Playbook. Game plans. Play calls. Personnel. Pass protection. Execution.

Attack the opposing quarterback. Glad to hear Odell Willis is looking good. He has had many very productive years in the CFL. He might have something left in the tank. Conservative defence, however, is not about attacking the quarterback. We will see ...
Wasn't motion and misdirection a big part of the polarizing Chap-ball offence?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
From Lowell Ullrich ...

Wasn't motion and misdirection a big part of the polarizing Chap-ball offence?

I loved Chaps playbook, but just didn't like his play calling.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
From Lowell Ullrich ...

Our Leos had our best offensive structure in 2011 and 2012, when Chap used much more misdirection and motion, as well as moving our receivers around to take advantage of mismatches.

This is a welcome change in offensive direction for 2018 by Jarious Jackson. He is going to add more West Coast to the spread, as well as motion, misdirection, and moving receivers around. His offence will attempt to challenge defenses, both horitzontally and vertically, attempting to stretch the field in all directions.

Even more importantly, Jarious wants to introduce more run/pass option plays, more play action, and the quarterback getting the football out of his hands quicker.

For too long in B.C. we've been an inside zone read run offence and a pocket passing slot oriented offence with a very predictable scheme. Its also been a plug and play offence that has not taken advantage of our personnel.

For example, its been rare that we took advantage of mobile quarterbacks like Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Travis Lulay, and Jonathan Jennnings. When we had a quarterback lke Dave Dickenson, then a pure pocket passing spread offence made more sense. But confining mobile quarterbacks like Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Travis Lulay, and Jonathan Jennings to the pocket rather than using more play action, semi-sprint outs, quarter and half-rolls meant that we didn't create duel threat situations to put more pressure on the defense.

Sure, Printers, Pierce, Lulay, and Jennings took off and ran the football but that was mostly based on necessity, with the pocket breaking down, rather than beng part of a design to get the quarterback outside, where he had a run/pass option.

The only time we actually designed our offence, at times, to take advantage of a mobile quarterback was in 2011 and 2012. One play call during those two seasons provides an example of what a difference maker challenging the edge could be. After setting the play up, Lulay would fake the inside zone read handoff to Harris, fake the fly sweep, and bootleg right, with a run pass option. Gore would clear out the wide side with a fly pattern, Bruce would run a corner route, Simon would be coming across on an intermediate crossing route, and Harris, after his fake into the line, would find a hole in the zone on the right side.

Lulay, running right, had the option to throw to Bruce, Simon, or Harris. Most of the time, he would find Harris wide open and often Lulay would run the football himself. The play put the outside linebacker on an island. If he covered Harris, Lulay would run. If he came up on Lulay, Lulay would hit Harris, as he did in the 2011 Grey Cup game. Often, Lulay found himself in a position where Harris was open and he also had open field in front of him. The play was set up with motion and misdirection.

But its not only the quarterback position that our old pocket passing spread offence created problems for. The offensive line had to pass block continuously for a pocket passing quarterback who was a stationary target in the pocket. The slotbacks waggled to the line of scrimage and defenses, knowing our penchant for being a slot oriented offence, could double one or both. It made us much easier to defend.

To make matters worse, we ran crossing patterns against zone defense, setting up our slotbacks for hellacious hits. We ran zone patterns against man, rather than use crossing patterns, pick plays, or bunch formations with combination routes to create confusion or bump off defenders. In other words, it didn't matter whether the defense was in man or zone, we ran the play that was called and the play that was called had nothing to do with what the defense was doing.

In other words, it was called 'execution' and we attempted to execute plays regardless of defensive strategies or our own offensive personnel.

No wonder players like Jason Jiminez, Dean Valli, or Andrew Harris were outspoken in their frustration. But most players, as expected, were loyal soldiers who just repeated the mantra of Wally that they just had to 'execute better'.

A good example of the difficulty of pass blocking for our offensive system was in 2005 and 2006. We won the West in 2005 and won a Grey Cup in 2006, while giving up the most quarterback pressures and most quarterback sacks in both seasons. In 2006, we had an outstanding offensive line, with Murphy and Jiminez at tackle, Reid at center, and Rasouli and Bates at guard but we couldn't protect Dickenson. Against a 6th place defense, in the 2006 Grey Cup game, Dickenson was only able to pass for 184 yards as our predictable passing game was defensed well in a playoff game, a theme that has played out often. Calgary shut down our offence in the first half of the 2016 West Final, going into the second half with a 32-0 half time lead.

Another good example of this type of offensive thinking has been our use of Chris Rainey, whenever he entered the game. It was easy to predict that Rainey would be given the football and it would take place with two plays 1) the inside read option and 2) the quick swing pass.

Defenses were prepared for Rainey entering a game in 2017. His run average dropped from 8.6 yds. per carry to 4.2 yds. per carry. Calgary's defense was already very well prepared for Rainey in the pass game in the 2016 West Final. They lined up in press man and nailed Rainey for losses on almost every swing pass.

Did we learn anything? Nope. We kept using Rainey in the same ways in 2017, rather than have him also attack the edge in the run game or isolate him against a linebacker in space in the pass game.

What excites me about 2018 is the potential of a change in offensive direction and philosophy. Ed Hervey has done a great job of taking an offensive line with the two worst offensive tackles in the league in 2017 and given it talent with Figueroa and Olifioye. But we had two excellent offensive tackles in Murphy and Jiminez in 2006 and we coldn't protect our quarterback. A new offensive scheme, with quicker passing and more motion and misdirection, will help not only our offensive line but also our quarterbacks, running backs, and receivers.

A lot has been said about Jonathan Jennings play in 2017. But Jennings play last season followed a familiar pattern of our quarterback's play in the Buono era. Quarterbacks as Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, and Travis Lulay began their careers as Leo starters with excellent results. But constant pressure, sacks, and injuries would soon take a toll and the downward slide would begin.

Jonathan Jennings started the last 6 games of 2016 as a rookie and played impressively, with a 99.8 quarterback average. In his first full season as a starter in 2017, Jennings had an excellent 102.1 quarterback efficiency average. But in 2018, constant pressure, sacks, injuries resulted in a season in which Jennings quarterback average plummeted to 83.8 and he threw more inteceptions than touchdown passes.

I read the same refrains on Lionbackers that I read about Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, and Travis Lulay, when after early success, their quarterback play seemed to deteriorate. The reality is that all these quarterbacks played more naturally earlier in their careers as Leo quarterbacks but the longer they played in the Buono imposed spread system, being forced to stay in the pocket and 'execute' the worse they played.

For example, Casey Printers quarteback efficiency average went from 115.0 in 2004 to 87.2 in 2005. In his return to our Leos, Printers had a 99.3 quarterback average in 2009 to a 81.4 efficiency average in 2010, before his release. Buck Pierce had a 97.4 quarterback efficiency average in his first full season as our starter in 2008 but it dropped to 79.5 in 2009. In 2008, Pierce threw for 19 touchdowns, while only throwing 9 interceptions. In 2009, Pierce threw more interceptions than touchdown passes.

Jarious Jackson, in 2007, beginning the season as our third string quarterback and never having started a game as a Leo before, led us to 9 wins in his 11 games as a starter as we won the West with the best offence in the CFL. Jackson threw 18 touchdown passes against 10 inteceptions. But in 2009 and 2010, his play deteriorated as his touchdown to interception ratio slid.

Travis Lulay entered the scene as our starter in 2011. His quarterback efficiency average in 2011 was 95.8 and in 2012 his quarterback efficiency average was 100.7. He had an outstanding touchdown to interception ratio. But as a starter in 2015, Lulay had a quarterback efficiency average of 84.4 and his touchdown to interception ratio had plummeted.

For those who believe that Lulay, based on his four games as as starter in 2017, was poised to 'stand and deliver' again, the pattern would have repeated itself if Lulay had remained in our old offensive system - early success followed by what would appear as 'deteriorating' quarterback play.

None of these quarterbacks suddenly fell off the turnip truck and couldn't read a defense anymore, after such early success. Nor can their deteriorating play, after establishing themselves as successful starters, be explained fully by the notion that defenses learned their tendencies.

The reality is that each of these quarterbacks became more robotic as they attempted to remain in the pocket, while under incredible pressure, while attempting to 'execute' a very predictable offence.

Travis Lulay played rarely in 2016. When he started four games in 2017, he looked fresh and his thinking was fresh again. On his first play, he faked the inside zone read and took off outside, just as he had done early in his career, rather than just handing the football off. Lulay was a duel threat quarterback again in 2017, as he had been early in his career. For example, in 2015, Lulay started 10 games and only ran the football 20 times. In only four starts in 2017, Lulay ran the football 31 times.

It was the Travis Lulay of old, with an even stronger arm. He looked natural and confident. But over time, the familiar pattern of our quarterback play would have returned. Early success would eventually lead to more robotic play rather than instinctual play as he confined himself more to the pocket and 'executed' the offence. The pressures and sacks and predictability of playing in that style of offence would lead to more interceptions, less confidence, and increased self-pressure.

Just watching Lulay in the huddle and his body language last season before he got injured reminded me of the Travis of old. But if one has observed our starting quarterbacks over time, they almost always looked more confident early in their careers, more relaxed, more poised and over time they looked less confident, more stressed, and less poised.

So, I am estatic we will be finally using a different offence this season. Anything will be better than our old offensife system that was tired, old, outdated, predictable, boring, and about as dynamic as watching paint dry.

One part of me is surprised that Wally is allowing a new offensive system and philosophy to be implemented. Wally has been an old dog for a long time now, with a penchant for rigidity. But not making the playoffs last season and desperate to go out a winner has likely had something to do with his new thinking. But I highly doubt that Wally just had an epiphany that has resulted in a massive paradign shift.

Likely Ed Hervey also talked to Wally about change, offering his insights as to how teams have defended our offence in the past. But perhaps there is another reason. Fearful personalities tend to be ultra-conservative, always wanting to feel safe in the familiar, resisting change, and always focusing on what could go wrong with change, rather than looking at what could go right with doing something different.

Buono finished last in the West in 2017. Its his last season. "What has he got to lose", as he said himself a few days ago. For a lot of reasons, the stars are aligned for a better football season in 2018. Last season, many analysts predicted our Leos would win the Grey Cup, based upon the talent we had at our skill positions. But poor offensive and defensive line play and predictable offenses and defenses, along with poor special return team play, turned that 2017 optomism into despair.

Wally World may have introduced a number of new rides this season. We now have the hope of seeing not only a new offence but Wally even gambling on third and one, rather than punting in the oppositions end of the field. We could even see a more aggressive defense. We may even see something new on special team return play, other than just running the football back up the middle on punts.

The anticipation almost boggles the mind of this long time Leos fan. :yahoo:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tremendous recap, Blitz.

Systems. Plays. History. Personnel. :thup:

maxlion
Legend

I think that Jarious deserves a chance at OC, and I am looking forward to seeing the changes and new offensive system he brings in.

Each year over the past two years, BC's offense under Khari Jones had more passing yards, more rushing yards, and better time of possession than Saskatchewan, where Jackson served as passing coordinator.

I suspect we will see more of a dink and dunk, high-percentage style offense than under Jones, who seemed to like a more aggressive high-risk style of offense. Personally, I prefer the former, though also came to appreciate Jones' ability to adapt to personnel and defenses.